Thread: Paint colors & Sources

Default Paint colors & Sources

Looking for a distinctive paint color for a 14' wooden boat I am completing. Of course, I have looked at Interlux and Pettit and they are good paints. But the colors are the usual. In my printed Interlux paint guide, they show a Teal color paint, but I can't find it currently. Who has used Sherwin-Williams boat paint? They list a Kinetic Teal color that appeals to me. How about Kirby's paint? Is it in the same class as these other paints? I will not be spraying, don't have the area for that. Roll & tip will likely produce the result I want.

Other suggestions?

Default Re: Paint colors & Sources

Epifanes Yacht Enamel Teal green 30?

Here in the UK, alot of builders use Jotun. They can mix and supply any colour at all to BS or RAL number.

I use Benjamin Moore, alkyd or urethane. The paint store will mix any color you like. It's good paint and costs less than marine paints.

Kirby's will also mix to any color swatch you provide. All of my boat painting, inside and out, has been Kirby's.

Hello,

I'm using Kirby's right now and am pleased with it so far.

I also like the help I get when I ask a question.

I've found that a 1/2 face mask with with replaceable filter cartridges is really necessary. When I take the mask off in the shop I'm always amazed how strong the odor is and that I'm getting seemingly none of it through the mask. I'm rolling, not spraying.

Alan

Kirbys and Epiphanes will send you color cards on request. Kirbys is great to deal with. Some of their custom colors shown online are not on the standard color card but they will happily send samples of those too.

There are 3 main choices for types of paint. Traditional oil enamel, like the Kirby's already mentioned. Mono-urethanes like Interlux Brightside, which hold their gloss better and resist abrasion well. And poly-urethanes, like Interlux Perfection, which take those factors to another level.

The best type depends on several factors - so we'd need to know more. Like: What type of substrate? As always, the info you provide, the better the answers can be.

If you've already settled on oil enamel - you might also consider --

Marshall's Cove - similar to Kirby's, but closer to home ---

http://www.marshallscovemarinepaint.com/products.htm

Fine Paints of Europe: Hollandlac - Excellent quality and expensive. But gorgeous result and easy to work with ---

https://finepaintsofeurope.com/
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Norglass do Teal coloured paint - I used it on Bella and many people remark 'what a lovely colour'.
    IMGP0004.jpg

Norglass are an Australian company - they might ship to the USA :-)

Regards Neil

Now I have so many choices that it will take some choosing. Thanks everyone!

May be a bit late but here's a pic of Kirby's sample colors (ask 'em for a free copy, they'll send you one that uses actual paint samples) for your consideration:

Kirby's.jpg

Too they'll be happy to compound a custom color for you if you can provide something for a sample or have some other means to communicate the specs of what you desire.

It is going to be Epifanes blue-grey. Again, thanks for all the suggestions.

Alan71,
    I followed your suggestion on face masks. I have a 1/2 face mask with two filter cartridges on hand, so didn't need to buy anything. I have a fairly spacious shop, and I put two fans in the open windows and opened the screen door. Ventilation was quite good, but that is not an odor to inhale. The paint can has a serious warning on it.
    Thanks for the reminder.

Quote Originally Posted by W Grabow View Post
    It is going to be Epifanes blue-grey. Again, thanks for all the suggestions.
    My paint selection was based entirely on the color. I have done green, yellow, white, and red on previous boats. Time for a blue, but I didn't want a bright blue, not dignified enough. This was my first time with Epifanes; very impressed. The container was 750ml, about 0.8 quart; thus, I was concerned about whether I had purchased enough. Coverage was excellent with the first coat. Now I have two coats on the hull and think I have enough for a third coat. Although I thought that I had created a smooth hull surface, the gloss paint finish has revealed every little imperfection in my preparation of the underlying surface.

very late to the party. Kirby is nice if you are going to custom mix and use a boat more delicately.

for year around in the water and hard use i have chosen to go with EZPoxy for toughness, durability and freshness. It levels well and hides flaws. Tougher than enamel. breaks out to be the same as Kirby's if you include shipping.

Screen Shot 2022-09-13 at 12.37.32 PM.jpg
    Without friends none of this is possible.