Thread: Finished

Default Finished

Canned 22 quarts of tomatoes over 3 days, and 3 pints of salsa.

Now starting cream of tomato soup.

Tomorrow, chicken with tomatoes.

Been picking tomatoes every day for three weeks, and that will continue. Also supplying the neighbors.

10 half-pints of sun-dried tomatoes.

I'm really not finished, I'm just out of jars.
    I'm not leaving.

-- Mike Pence

Default Re: Finished

i haven't even started. but i could roast and can some peppers today...

Jeeze. That’s work.

Tomato crops failed here this year. Way too hot. Peppers should have been ok.

'just out of jars'..

I hear that!

We put up a lot of pickles and pickled okra this year. Tomatoes were a fail again. We've had one successful year out of ten- Why do I keep trying? Jalapenos are looking good. Last year, I made my own chipotes in adobo sauce. I let the peppers turn red, smoked 'em, and made an adobo sauce. We froze them, and use them in a spicy black bean hummus that we are particularly addicted to.

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    Sweet or hot?

Those sci fi tomato worms ate my bell pepper plants overnight. I'd been growing them since March.
    I'm not leaving.

-- Mike Pence

Quote Originally Posted by Durnik View Post
    'just out of jars'..

I hear that!
    It would have been 24 jars -- 12 to a case -- but a long time ago I gave away a jar of marinara each to two different people, who didn't return the jars. So I only have 22, which haven't left the house for many years.
    I'm not leaving.

-- Mike Pence

Quote Originally Posted by Osborne Russell View Post
    Sweet or hot?

Those sci fi tomato worms ate my bell pepper plants overnight. I'd been growing them since March.
    hot. about 50/50 anaheim and jalapeņo. sorry for your pepper plant loss. bah!

F8A9FD5E-6362-42D2-89F4-E760ABE0FA34.jpg

tractor for scale

040B54EB-A278-4B25-B5DF-FCF9E530AF68.jpg

For the first time since I started gardening here my 3 tomato plants seem to be surviving the blight. I ate the first ripe one today.

in a week or so I will go buy the ones to can.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

Worm wood and Jimson weed are coming on fine. Determinate tomatoes are in full flush. How many BLT's are you allowed to eat in a week?
    My Minneapolis bro in law does LGBT sandwiches.
    Lettuce Guacamole Bacon and Tomato. Good too.

It would have been 24 jars -- 12 to a case -- but a long time ago I gave away a jar of marinara each to two different people, who didn't return the jars. So I only have 22, which haven't left the house for many years.
    I'm a hippie, but . . .
    I'm not leaving.

-- Mike Pence

Quote Originally Posted by Tom from Rubicon View Post
    Worm wood and Jimson weed are coming on fine. Determinate tomatoes are in full flush. How many BLT's are you allowed to eat in a week?
    My Minneapolis bro in law does LGBT sandwiches.
    Lettuce Guacamole Bacon and Tomato. Good too.
    Avocado, oh yeah.

My father in law has been trying 90 years. Been through at least 30 trees. 900 miles north of their natural range. Good until about 2010. Then climate change. He remembers the assassination of Trotsky.

900 miles north of their natural range . . . but when . . . let me tell you . . . they call them bacon avocados . . . with some tomatoes, origin Peru . . . put in some pig meat -> transcendental . . .

tortillas hechos a mano . . . carnitas ka-blam!

Easy on the J weed. Loco weed. When canning, I like (1) oregano (2) basil or lo que sea.
    Last edited by Osborne Russell; 08-18-2022 at 03:46 AM.
    I'm not leaving.

-- Mike Pence

hot. about 50/50 anaheim and jalapeņo. sorry for your pepper plant loss. bah!

F8A9FD5E-6362-42D2-89F4-E760ABE0FA34.jpg

tractor for scale
    You've got lots of space, that's cheating.
    Last edited by Osborne Russell; 08-18-2022 at 03:43 AM.
    I'm not leaving.

-- Mike Pence

Quote Originally Posted by elf View Post
    For the first time since I started gardening here my 3 tomato plants seem to be surviving the blight. I ate the first ripe one today.

in a week or so I will go buy the ones to can.
    Get some local to find you some windows from a demolition. Make a greenhouse. Put out a stick to measure the shadow on the equinox; orient the shed at 90 degrees. Whole Earth Catalog.

I have seen and eaten tomatoes growing in a hippie A-frame in January in Taos, NM. Quite cold outside. Snow, knee high. Wind. No windows nor doors. Nought but blankets in the apertures. Waiting on cash to complete the house, growing tomatoes, basil, lettuce and green peppers in the meantime. Solar.

Tomatoes in the dinner salad. In those days, there were elk to hunt. Elk sausage w/tomatoes, comino, onions, peppers, and tomatoes, out of sight! Unfortunately, pot was far more cash, hashish, more so. War on drugs, doncha know. Wrecked it. Beautiful while it lasted. Beautiful, as succeeding generations will not know. Coulda been . . . shoulda been. Oh well.

Putting up tomatoes is less work than making elk sausage, if you count the license, cartridges, etc. Can't count the driving, hiking, and hunting, because it's more fun than growing tomatoes. You'd do it anyway, for sport. So it's not a cost.
    Last edited by Osborne Russell; 08-18-2022 at 03:52 AM.
    I'm not leaving.

-- Mike Pence

You must be due for another zucchinipocalypse?

Pete
    The Ignore feature, lowering blood pressure since 1862. Ahhhhhhh.

Get some local to find you some windows from a demolition. Make a greenhouse. Put out a stick to measure the shadow on the equinox; orient the shed at 90 degrees. Whole Earth Catalog.

I have seen and eaten tomatoes growing in a hippie A-frame in January in Taos, NM. Quite cold outside. Snow, knee high. Wind. No windows nor doors. Nought but blankets in the apertures. Waiting on cash to complete the house, growing tomatoes, basil, lettuce and green peppers in the meantime. Solar.

Tomatoes in the dinner salad. In those days, there were elk to hunt. Elk sausage w/tomatoes, comino, onions, peppers, and tomatoes, out of sight! Unfortunately, pot was far more cash, hashish, more so. War on drugs, doncha know. Wrecked it. Beautiful while it lasted. Beautiful, as succeeding generations will not know. Coulda been . . . shoulda been. Oh well.

Putting up tomatoes is less work than making elk sausage, if you count the license, cartridges, etc. Can't count the driving, hiking, and hunting, because it's more fun than growing tomatoes. You'd do it anyway, for sport. So it's not a cost.
    Didn't Chipskiff have an arctic grade solar powered diy tomato greenhouse. I'm sure he put some pics up a couple of years ago - snow outside, happy tomatoes inside.

Pete
    The Ignore feature, lowering blood pressure since 1862. Ahhhhhhh.

Quote Originally Posted by epoxyboy View Post
    You must be due for another zucchinipocalypse?

Pete
    it started, but then it stopped. my zuchinnis were attacked by something, and for a couple weeks every new squash that started died and rotted as it grew out of the flower.

but, it looks like the plague is over and i am now growing some again. shall see.

It seems like I never have the same problem twice. It's this or that insect or disease. I go buy something which I use very sparingly, and now there's a shelf for all the snake oil. I look at each jug and say, what the hell was this for? I read up on it, and this flavor of snake oil isn't mentioned in connection with the current problem, so I go buy a new flavor. I'll use it once or twice, and then it will take its place on the shelf with the others.

p.s. Don't forget new spray bottles because I guarantee the old ones are crapped out.
    I'm not leaving.

-- Mike Pence