Thread: Weak stream

Default Weak stream

The water pressure at my place isnít great. The long run of hose to the cabin isnít helping but it is what it is till I trench and run a line. Even then, pressure is medium.

What happens if I hook up a small to medium water pump fed by the hose? I canít think of a reason it wouldnít suck. Except maybe it will collapse the hose.

My ultimate goal is to get a good oscillating watering head and blast some water out into the woods near the house. My attempts this weekend were pathetic.

The other option is to get another tote or tank and pull the water from that. 500-1000 gallons wonít go far.

Ideas?

Default Re: Weak stream

Install a thicker stronger whose which wont collapse?
    Ragnar B.

What's the length of run from source to cabin, and the hose ID? Mostly level or are you pumping uphill now?

Longer the run, the bigger the ID needs to be if you want volume. Pressure gets shaved from hose expansion and friction. If your plan is to trench then install a buried line, get the line material NOW & use that rather than a hose.

< 100' would suggest 1" ID minimum, longer I'd go with 1-1/4" ID. Any risk to a surface-run pipe where you're using a hose now?

Adding some kind of pump on the cabin end likely will collapse the hose as you suggest, but if you use the more rigid 200 PSI rated ABS type pipe meant for burial it will stand up better & you may even see an immediate improvement using the line without a pump.
    "The energy sources we use to make electricity can be renewable (such as wind or solar) or nonrenewable, but electricity itself is neither renewable nor nonrenewable."

https://amgreatness.com/2022/09/30/electric-mania/

Give or take, it’s 900 feet. Flat(ish). I never understood why people always jammed their homes up next to the road…..it makes more sense as I started pricing electric and water.

It’s going to be a big project. I’d rather not run the pipe and leave it out, then dig the trench.

May accelerate my trenching project this fall. Putting in septic also and will have men and equipment in the area.

It’s all 5/8 hose now. Interestingly, there was enough pressure to take the hose up on the 30’ roof to hose it down prior to painting.

I was just guessing a 3/4 pipe might be fine for the trenched line if I had a small pressurized tank reservoir at the cabin.

Fortunately, no frost line here, so trench depth will not be all that deep. Just enough to keep the line down. Maybe 12”.

isn't your place screaming for a buried cistern? what kind of fortress doesn't have a store of water.

It really is. I can hear it. A big, buried, precast thing.

I can fill it with my tears as I pay for septic, trenching, and fixing the blowout in my pond wall.

This is the second time it dried out in my 20 years. Sad.

F29A7488-4439-4233-93A4-8D053B1FD212.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

I thought this would be a thread about an enlarged prostate.
    "George Washington as a boy
    was ignorant of the commonest
    accomplishments of youth.
    He could not even lie."

-- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by UCanoe_2 View Post
    Yeah- I was going to suggest that you take Flomax - works for me!!!

Quote Originally Posted by UCanoe_2 View Post
    447A6ED7-5C9C-45B1-8185-1686992180EF.jpg

Be aware that most pumps push. They don't suck well. Get the proper type. One inch diameter buyty pipe doesn't cost much and will serve your purpose.

Jeff

I used one inch pipe everywhere here. I have relatively low pressure 29psi and the larger dia pipe definitely helps

900 feet ls a long way for a 5/8" hose. The 1" would be a lot better.
    But, as sp_clark says above, at 900 feet the 1 1/4" would be a lot better still. Luckily, that coiled poly tubing is not terribly expensive. 1 1/4" will cost more, but probably worth the difference for the uses you have described.

If you pump uphill you will lose 1 pound of pressure per 2 feet. If you pump downhill conversely you will gain 1 pound of pressure per 2 feet. The smaller diameter of your hose the more pressure you will lose to friction within the hose or pipe. There are tables available to help you find out friction loss in hoses or pipes. Most pumps will not pull up water from the source to the pump more that 15-20 feet.

If you dig the trench - can you dig in an electric cable as well so you have an option of having a pump at the beginning of the 900'? Or would you have to dig deeper for the electric cable which might make it uneconomic? There might be a minimum depth required.

The electricity is complicated. Will probably be all solar so no pump at the source.

Might as well bump it up to 1”. The marginal cost is low.

The 1” poly pipe is about $225 per 1000 feet. And PEX is four times that.

Though I do like the idea of dropping pex in the trench and using sharkbite fittings for a hose bib/vault every 200’ or so.

Fusing the HDPE doesn’t sound fun.

A trench and $1,000 for pipe and diy. Not too bad.

Younger me would have wanted to dig the trench by hand.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    Younger me would have wanted to dig the trench by hand.

I was never that young!

Jeff

When we were adding onto our house. We needed a trench for a downspout pipe. I asked the contractor if he wanted to dig the ditch or if he wanted me to do the digging. He looked at me like an idiot and said is that a trick question?
    What's not on a boat costs nothing, weighs nothing, and can't break

Yeah, the "Foundation Help" thread and the "Weak stream" thread suggests that Tom might have some issues. We're all getting older, don't be afraid to ask.