Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amnesty International goes full twit liberal

Default Amnesty International goes full twit liberal

Ukrainian forces have put civilians in harm’s way by establishing bases and operating weapons systems in populated residential areas, including in schools and hospitals, as they repelled the Russian invasion that began in February, Amnesty International said today.

Such tactics violate international humanitarian law and endanger civilians, as they turn civilian objects into military targets. The ensuing Russian strikes in populated areas have killed civilians and destroyed civilian infrastructure.

“We have documented a pattern of Ukrainian forces putting civilians at risk and violating the laws of war when they operate in populated areas,” said Agnès Callamard, Amnesty International’s Secretary General.

“Being in a defensive position does not exempt the Ukrainian military from respecting international humanitarian law.”

Most residential areas where soldiers located themselves were kilometres away from front lines. Viable alternatives were available that would not endanger civilians – such as military bases or densely wooded areas nearby, or other structures further away from residential areas.

https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/ne...ger-civilians/
    The "international law" which Ukraine is supposedly violating, as the organization asserts, is not cited in the organization's article. I suppose we're just supposed to take this twit's word for it. But how can we, knowing that she's a twit?

She needs to go live in the war until it's over. Carry a weapon and field gear, face the enemy's fire and return it for her life, and sleep in the ruins, smell the rotting corpses. It's just possible that it might induce her to pull her head out.

Killing is necessary.
    Last edited by Osborne Russell; 08-13-2022 at 10:39 PM.
    I'm not leaving.

-- Mike Pence

Default Re: Amnesty International goes full twit liberal

And I suppose she things the absence of Ukrainian defenders in the residential areas would stop the Russians from bombing, killing and raping people in those zones? Yeah right.

I'm sorry, but that's not liberal. That's just stupid.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Amnesty is currently losing a lot of members in Sweden because is this. It's not liberal, especially not with the meaning outside the US. Amnesty is just too full of people who see the reaction to the Russian invasion as the main problem, not the invasion itself.
    /Erik

I’m totally struggling to see the connection of this issue with the description of liberal?? Or conservative for that matter. It’s almost a provocation to assign a political demarcation to the opinion/ analysis of the author.
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Liberal?

you trying to engineer something?

Amnesty have a lot to be ashamed of with that report.
    Such utter bollox. Ukrainians defending their homes bad, Russian bombing them is .... crickets.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

AI conveniently forgot to check/mention that the civilian infrastructure used for hosting military was no longer used for other purposes. Unlike a shopping mall that the Ukrainians hid under in March.

Did AI achieve their goals worldwide and now has to invent new problems to pursue? Doubtful.
    Maybe their check in roubles just came in?
    WszystekPoTrochu's signature available only for premium forum users.

Quote Originally Posted by Hallam View Post
    I’m totally struggling to see the connection of this issue with the description of liberal??
    Defining everything stupid as "liberal" is OR's standard tactic. It fits his narrative, if not reality...

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by ERGR View Post
    Amnesty is currently losing a lot of members in Sweden because is this. It's not liberal, especially not with the meaning outside the US. Amnesty is just too full of people who see the reaction to the Russian invasion as the main problem, not the invasion itself.
    /Erik
    I was hoping someone would say this is some obscure, back shelf report that has been disowned by the leadership. AI will pay dearly for this and apparently they deserve it.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    AI will pay dearly for this and apparently they deserve it.

Really? You believe an independent body that reports on crimes against the civilian population by ANY transgressors, deserves what exactly for exposing the reality on the ground?

Amnesty is currently losing a lot of members in Sweden because is this. .
    /Erik
    Can you show some numbers to validate your post? I would like to read some links if you have them.

Quote Originally Posted by Osborne Russell View Post
    She needs to go live in the war until it's over. Carry a weapon and field gear, face the enemy's fire and return it for her life, and sleep in the ruins, smell the rotting corpses. It's just possible that it might induce her to pull her head out.

Killing is necessary.
    Dont ask of others that which you are not prepared or able to do yourself. Im sure we can crowdfund your ticket to the front line.

Quote Originally Posted by Vadim 68 View Post
    Really? You believe an independent body that reports on crimes against the civilian population by ANY transgressors, deserves what exactly for exposing the reality on the ground?
    Your nonsense post does not deserve a reply, but I did want you to know that I read it and decided to ignore it.

Does Russia play by the rules?
    "Banning books and not guns seems backwards. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book

What crimes, Ivan?
    I'm not leaving.

-- Mike Pence

Amnesty is currently losing a lot of members in Sweden because is this. It's not liberal, especially not with the meaning outside the US.
    True. The US is the citadel of the bull S liberal. Protected by oceans, etc.

But is there any question that the people who support AI even in this condemnation of Ukraine, from anywhere in the world, would describe themselves as liberal? Any question at all?

It's not a matter of calling them liberal. They would not object. They would agree, enthusiastically.
    I'm not leaving.

-- Mike Pence

Dont ask of others that which you are not prepared or able to do yourself. Im sure we can crowdfund your ticket to the front line.
    Likewise, Ivan. See you in Moscow. Probly can't let you through the checkpoint, but I'll tell you when the curfew begins and ends.
    I'm not leaving.

-- Mike Pence

True. The US is the citadel of the bull S liberal. Protected by oceans, etc.

But is there any question that the people who support AI even in this condemnation of Ukraine, from anywhere in the world, would describe themselves as liberal? Any question at all?

It's not a matter of calling them liberal. They would not object. They would agree, enthusiastically.
    the a.i. statement is "liberal" the same way anti-vax sentiment is "liberal". "liberal" like rfk jr. is "liberal".

where does this fit with "wokeness" in your thinking, o.r.?

I'm sorry, but that's not liberal. That's just stupid.
    This is exactly right.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    Defining everything stupid as "liberal" is OR's standard tactic. It fits his narrative, if not reality...

Tom
    Not everything. That wouldn't be much of a standard tactic. But mainly stupid liberal things. They keep me plenty busy.
    I'm not leaving.

-- Mike Pence

Your nonsense post does not deserve a reply, but I did want you to know that I read it and decided to ignore it.
    I think everyone else can see it too; if your post was so weak and full of holes that you decide you cant defend it in public, but instead decide to attack the person asking, says more about your moral position than what you think i deserve or not. Honestly, quite pathetic.

the a.i. statement is not a consequence of liberal thinking at all. it is something else.

to call it "full twit liberal" makes me wonder if, after all, you think that "liberal" is a pejorative.

What crimes, Ivan?

When you call me by my name, perhaps i may choose to answer. Where the hell did Ivan come from?

AI is an organization that supports human rights causes, so by definition it tends to be supported by liberals. That does not mean that everything they do or say is a liberal cause or equally supported by the membership.

My question is whether this is an isolated misstep, or a sign of a trend to come. It is possible that AI will walk itself into irrelevance if they continue to embrace this kind of thinking.

AI is an organization that supports human rights causes, so by definition it tends to be supported by liberals. That does not mean that everything they do or say is a liberal cause or equally supported by the membership.
    In this case they are just being obstinate to the point of stupidity.

How do you defend a city full of civilians except by placing weapons in it?

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    the a.i. statement is "liberal" the same way anti-vax sentiment is "liberal". "liberal" like rfk jr. is "liberal".

where does this fit with "wokeness" in your thinking, o.r.?
    1. Everything is to be judged according to how it serves the oppressor or the oppressed.
    2. The west is always the oppressor.
    3. Russia is fighting the west.
    4. Therefore Russia is the champion of the oppressed.
    5. Therefore, not Russia's invasion, but Ukraine's purported self-defense, is a war crime. Ukraine is conducting an illegal war against Russia.
    I'm not leaving.

-- Mike Pence

Just checking: is Russia still liberating Ukraine from the fascist yoke, thus justifying their invasion? I wish Howard Zinn were here.
    I'm not leaving.

-- Mike Pence

What kind of cause is it, then, and who supports it? Only the ding dong wing? The twit liberals? I can go with that. Wait, I said that already.

It is possible that AI will walk itself into irrelevance if they continue to embrace this kind of thinking.
    Yes. Twit liberalism marches on.
    I'm not leaving.

-- Mike Pence

5. Therefore, not Russia's invasion, but Ukraine's purported self-defense, is a war crime. Ukraine is conducting an illegal war against Russia.
    You are making your own assertions rather than that of AI.

You do have a valid point about how to protect a city without having weapons in it, but you seem to want to completely dismiss this:

Civilians protected under international humanitarian law - ICRC

Both sides are guilty.

1. Everything is to be judged according to how it serves the oppressor or the oppressed.
    2. The west is always the oppressor.
    3. Russia is fighting the west.
    4. Therefore Russia is the champion of the oppressed.
    you are badly, badly out of date, osborne.

today's russian apologists are reactionaries.

Just checking: is Russia still liberating Ukraine from the fascist yoke, thus justifying their invasion? I wish Howard Zinn were here.
    wtf are you talking about. nobody believes that. not even the propagandists at rt.

Maybe I'm mis-reading OR; but I think, instead, most here are. (I could be wrong - sure OR will let me know!). I'm reading him as denigrating what AI has done, what russia continues to do, as the aggressor. Ascerbic doesn't always come across in print.

AFA vaDim - you've absolutely no status from which to criticize anyone. Damn troll.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    AFA vaDim - you've absolutely no status from which to criticize anyone. Damn troll.
    I think losing a limb in Ukraine gives me more right to criticize BS when i read it.......just like your false assertion troll comment made with no evidence.......weak.

While I have very little tolerance for Howard Zinn, I don't think even he would argue that 'Russia is liberating Ukraine from the fascist yoke'. I might be underestimating him.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    wtf are you talking about. nobody believes that. not even the propagandists at rt.
    WTF are you talking about? It has been claimed by Russia to be a casus belli, going back to the invasion of Crimea. Putin himself.
    I'm not leaving.

-- Mike Pence