Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Smith
    • Mar 2009

Essex county NJ recent water problems

Don't know if any of this went national, but a couple breaks in the very old water system caused widespread loss of water, and the need to boil it.

Friend from Bloomfield NJ tells me the main that broke is from the late 1800s.

None of this stuff is getting younger. A bridge over, I believe the Passaic River, is being replaced. It won't close correctly and needs men with sledge hammers to get it back into place.

Infrastructure all over the US is getting older and older.
    "Banning books in spite of the 1st amendment, but refusing to regulate guns in spite of "well regulated militia' being in the 2nd amendment makes no sense. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book
  • Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
    treetop flyer
    • Sep 2003

Re: Essex county NJ recent water problems

I'm glad I live right next to Lake Erie.
    It wasn't always a good thing but it is now.
    Not many things are as important as good water.
    Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

Comment

• Jim Bow
      Normcore
      • Jul 2008

Here in grit city, the residential streets are in failure. That means the can no longer be repaved. They must be removed down to dirt and replaced. Meanwhile, we’re spending hundreds of millions on a streetcar that looks pretty but serves no real purpose.
      “Come, come, my conservative friend, wipe the dew off your spectacles and see the world is moving" - Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Comment

• Nicholas Scheuer
        • Aug 2006

People don't ride the streetcar?

Comment

• john welsford
          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by John Smith
          Don't know if any of this went national, but a couple breaks in the very old water system caused widespread loss of water, and the need to boil it.

None of this stuff is getting younger. A bridge over, I believe the Passaic River, is being replaced. It won't close correctly and needs men with sledge hammers to get it back into place.

Its a problem that many countries are having, when you look at the time when much of this infrastructure was developed, the materials and technology was not as developed as it is today, and much of it is well past its use by dates. Water, waste water and sewerage, bridges, even electrical and telephone systems are getting to be very high maintenance.
          There is also the point that few property owners will vote for a political candidate who proposes to raise the taxes to fix the problem.

John Welsford
          An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Comment

• David W Pratt
            • May 2005

We seem to always pay to fix it, never to prevent it.

Comment

• Hugh MacD
              • Apr 2015

Not that long ago there was a project in Portland (Oregon) that replaced a section of water pipe from the late 1800s also. When they got down to digging they found a section of the pipe was still cedar slats held together barrel-style with iron bands. The iron was long gone and gravity and infill was holding the cedar in place...much of which was still pretty good.

Comment

• Art Haberland
                Fluent in Typo
                • May 2015

Originally posted by John Smith

Many years ago, when I was young man with an ancient sports car, I used to live in Ocean City NJ and work in Atlantic City on the weekends. One sunday morning, about 7am, I was first in line as the bridge that went from the North End of the island to Longport opened. When it came down, it wouldn't close all the way. The operator actually came out, walked to the edge, and jumped on it. The bridge didn't move, but it was just the funny I needed. He had to raise it partially back up and slam it down.

The 9th street bridge in Ocean City had an issue with the steel deck, on hot days it would expand too much and either refuse to open or if they got it open, it would not close all the way. Both bridges have since been replaced with huge fixed spans.
                "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Comment

• skuthorp
                  • Jan 2002

Just think what could be done with all that money you spend on dodgy election campaigns in the name of fre speech? Same applies here, just feeding the parasites.

Comment

• John Smith
                    • Mar 2009

Originally posted by skuthorp
                    Just think what could be done with all that money you spend on dodgy election campaigns in the name of fre speech? Same applies here, just feeding the parasites.
                    I often think just that.
                    "Banning books in spite of the 1st amendment, but refusing to regulate guns in spite of "well regulated militia' being in the 2nd amendment makes no sense. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book

Comment

• Too Little Time
                      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by skuthorp
                      Just think what could be done with all that money you spend on dodgy election campaigns in the name of free speech? Same applies here, just feeding the parasites.
                      Election costs are billions. Infrastructure rebuilding costs are trillions. So a thousand fold difference.

While most individuals are in favor of taxing others, few are in favor of paying taxes themselves. So we get what we have.
                      Life is complex.

Comment

Working...