Thread: Heavy thinking

Default Heavy thinking

French scientists published a paper in Current biology in which they explain that thinking hard for hours can lead to sloppy decision making, a built up of glutamate ( a neurotransmitter) in the prefrontal cortex of the brain results in a tendency to take the easy way out of a problem.
    Hmm that must be it, I think...
    https://www.cell.com/current-biology...822(22)01111-3
    Last edited by dutchpp; 08-12-2022 at 05:14 AM.

Default Re: Heavy thinking

Hmm, I think therefore I am………….. I think………...

So, in order to make good decisions, we should not think too hard about them?
    I guess I do need that new boat.

A new boat is always good.

But it also sheds new light on those thoughtful comments in the Bilge

I suppose that might be true for a lot of people but it wouldn't include those who have developed a method for thinking intelligently, covering all the various possibilities and then methodically disposing of the lesser ones. Full but thoughtful thought, rather than a constant niggling doubt and second- and third- guessing. It also wouldn't include those who use the technique of spending some time with the data and the ramifications and then purposely allowing all that cogitation to become dormant while getting on with other things, in order for the inspired answer to well up out of subconsciousness. Robert Louis Stevenson or maybe Charles Dickens, some author from way back, described doing that in order to move his story along. Go to bed full of the problem, let it go, and wake up fresh knowing the solution. Similarly, practicing meditation, both formal sitting and in being constantly meditatively minded, which, when done properly deliberately precludes the wasted mental energy of dithering about something, and keeping focused, not on an empty mind, but on only the pertinent or pressing problem. Or maybe that's not it at all...
    Speak softly and carry a mouthful of marbles.

Might explain phrases such as; Don’t overthink it, and Just do it.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    and - Perfection is the enemy of “good enough”.
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

Or maybe a lot of the thinking is developing a durable rationalization for the rapidly arrived at decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mahan View Post
    I suppose that might be true for a lot of people but it wouldn't include those who have developed a method for thinking intelligently, covering all the various possibilities and then methodically disposing of the lesser ones. Full but thoughtful thought, rather than a constant niggling doubt and second- and third- guessing. It also wouldn't include those who use the technique of spending some time with the data and the ramifications and then purposely allowing all that cogitation to become dormant while getting on with other things, in order for the inspired answer to well up out of subconsciousness. Robert Louis Stevenson or maybe Charles Dickens, some author from way back, described doing that in order to move his story along. Go to bed full of the problem, let it go, and wake up fresh knowing the solution. Similarly, practicing meditation, both formal sitting and in being constantly meditatively minded, which, when done properly deliberately precludes the wasted mental energy of dithering about something, and keeping focused, not on an empty mind, but on only the pertinent or pressing problem. Or maybe that's not it at all...
    That explains why I spend so much time sleeping

To take the notion a bit further... I bet further research will discover that, as with any other 'workout'... the ability to do the exercise without suffering compromised chemical states increases with repetition.

Another perspective... the ability to transition appropriately between Type1 & Type2 thinking is a skill. Which improves with repetition.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    Such sayings exist because that is often precisely the wise path. And sometimes we do fail via 'paralysis by analysis'.

But sometimes the opposite is true also, and more analysis is smart.

Knowing which condition obtains involves experience, wisdom, self-awareness, etc.
    Last edited by David G; 08-12-2022 at 07:14 PM.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

I used to do a lot of heavy thinking, but I've cut right back. Now I have the occasional thought, maybe on a Friday night, but even then I find I indulge less and less. I thought I'd keep my thinking just for social occasions, but that a slippery slope. One refreshing thought and before you know it you've put away 10 or 12 complex problems and your friends are talking about you behind your back. No more waking up with deep regrets about having mixed my German philosophy with a cheeky new world ecology problem that someone brought along for laughs.
    It's making a big difference in my life, my relationship with kids has improved and the total lack of thinking means my work life is better.
    With luck, heavy thinking is a thing of the past.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

We have the trumpers to do all our thinking for us

Look before you leap!
    Fools rush in!
    Go ahead and back up!

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Look before you leap!
    Fools rush in!
    Go ahead and back up!

Kevin
    Turn left right here.
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    I used to do a lot of heavy thinking, but I've cut right back. Now I have the occasional thought, maybe on a Friday night, but even then I find I indulge less and less. I thought I'd keep my thinking just for social occasions, but that a slippery slope. One refreshing thought and before you know it you've put away 10 or 12 complex problems and your friends are talking about you behind your back. No more waking up with deep regrets about having mixed my German philosophy with a cheeky new world ecology problem that someone brought along for laughs.
    It's making a big difference in my life, my relationship with kids has improved and the total lack of thinking means my work life is better.
    With luck, heavy thinking is a thing of the past.
    Did you go cold turkey...or was a 12 step programme involved?

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

I eased myself down, but it's one day at a time.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Where does "measure twice, cut once" fall on the cogitation scale?

Quote Originally Posted by David W Pratt View Post
    Where does "measure twice, cut once" fall on the cogitation scale?
    Overthinking. Just do it. That’s why they make lumber stores.