Thread: TSA Pre Check

Default TSA Pre Check

Does anyone use it, how does it work, and whats the best app to put on your iPhone?

Thanks
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Default Re: TSA Pre Check

the wife uses it. She’s a fan. After getting it you go to a shorter line and keep your shoes on. There’s a process.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/frequently-asked-questions/how-do-i-apply-tsa-precheckr-0
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

I don’t know about an app, but years ago we booked a European flight with Delta. Filled out a webpage of questions, one of which was “Are you eligible for Pre Check?” We clicked “yes”, and ever since “Pre Check” has appeared on our tickets.
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

I have pre-check and global entry. It does save a lot of time but global entry is pretty hard to get right now, especially if you want it quickly since you have to do an interview and they are near impossible to schedule.
    There is no app for it, you sign up through tsa, meet the requirement and you get a known traveler number that gets attached to your reservation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tom

I have pre-check and Global Entry, also CLEAR. All those things together add up to shorter lines and no nonsense like taking stuff out of your bag, taking off your belt and shoes, etc. But yes, it's almost certainly too late to line up Global Entry at this point for you.

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

You will have to pay $85 to sign up. Clear is another option at most airports. Some credit cards will pay their annual fee for free as a perk for travelers. If you do'nt fly that much there are programs like JetBlue's "even faster" which do the same thing for a $15 fee. Id love to zip through TSA lines, but the crowds aren't really that bad these days so its not really worth the money of signing up.

Clear offers a free trial. If you haven't used it before, you could get through once that way.

I have used Pre-Check for years and immediately pre-pandemic upped it to Global Entry because I thought I was going to be traveling to Canada and Mexico a bunch. So much for that...

Well worth the fee. Not a lifetime license, looking at my card I think is 4 years to expiration. They are supposed to notify you starting 6 months out before it does though so it shouldn't be a big deal.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

Pre I like. Some airlines difficult to put on ticket after purchase. Sometimes doesn’t show up. Sometimes screened anyway.

Have pre-check and love it. You don’t get a card or app - just a number that you enter when you make a reservation. Ours are on our Delta and AA profiles so they’re automatically on any reservations we make.

Ken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here in Rockford we had to show up BEFORE the office doors opened in order to accomplish the objective that day. it was well worth it.

Not going to be able to get Global Entry before you leave nor TSA Pre Check but they are definitely worth it, shorter lines (usually) and has been mentioned, no need to do the whole take off the shoes, take out the laptop etc.

The one thing though you might be able to get (if you don't have one already) is the AMEX Platinum card or some other upper end CC. Can gain access to 1st class as well as Centurion lounges, a real godsend when caught in an unexpected delay with a long layover.

Food and booze included with entry, some facilities can provide showers which can be terrific if traveling 18 or 20 hours in either direction, gives one a "whole new day" boost midway through the journey. The card will also in many cases provide a no-cost automatic room upgrade at participating hotels (yes I know you are largely going the AirBnB route) but just in case they can sometimes provide early check in and late check out at, again, at participating properties.

Last year arrived in Dublin after flying all night, landed around 7:00 AM got to the Shelbourne around 8:30/ 9:00 AM and in an upgraded suite by 9:20. Truly "Don't Leave Home Without It!" especially for international travel.
    "Unrepentant Reprobate"
    Lew Barrett

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Global Entry used to shorten entry time A LOT. Not so much now that they use biometrics for the main line.

Precheck + CLEAR (US only afaik) is a game-changer.

F33K THIS **** , I'm moving to Portugal

Quote Originally Posted by C. Ross View Post
    Global Entry used to shorten entry time A LOT. Not so much now that they use biometrics for the main line.

Precheck + CLEAR (US only afaik) is a game-changer.
    I don't know. I entered the US at JFK a few weeks ago. The regular line was long - 45-60 minutes - and my wife and went through the Global Entry line in less than 5. TSA Pre is also really nice to have - shorter lines, leave your shoes on and laptops in bags, etc. etc. Our experience getting Global Entry matches what others have said. We applied right before covid and it took 11 months to get interviews. Of course, we weren't going anywhere anyway.....

Looks like Im SOL since we are leaving on Monday and I won't have enough time to accomplish this properly
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Best move when you don't have pre-check (or if you forgot to add your trusted traveler # when you bought your ticket) is to just eat a lot of weed and go get in line. Flying is so much easier that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    Looks like Im SOL since we are leaving on Monday and I won't have enough time to accomplish this properly
    For this trip, but if you're going to travel enough in the future it's still worth applying for.

I qualify for it. It helps ease the hoo-hah at airports, sure.
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Every Republican is an obstacle to progress.

I use it. It saves me a bunch of time. Not having to pull the laptop, iPad or need to take off shoes or belt is great.

Global entry is also a must for me too. Those of you who travel a lot know how much time it saves. Shortens immigration and customs by so much. A roller bag passes through is just minutes rather than as much as an hour.
    Without friends none of this is possible.