Thread: 70% of Americans want state referendums on abortion.

Default 70% of Americans want state referendums on abortion.

Heather Cox Richardson said it: "It appears the dog has caught the car."

Poll: 70% of Americans want to vote on abortion in state ballots

Oriana Gonzalez

Seven in 10 Americans, regardless of party affiliation, want to be able to vote on an abortion measure on their state ballot, according to a new Ipsos/USA Today poll released Wednesday.

Driving the news: The poll was conducted after Kansas became the first state in the post-Roe era in which U.S. voters cast a ballot on abortion — they decided last week to reject an amendment that would have gotten rid of abortion protections in the state's Constitution.

Catch up quick: When the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade, Justice Samuel Alito wrote in the opinion of the court that the ability to regulate abortion was "returned to the people and their elected representatives."

Details: The idea to vote on abortion was supported across party lines, with 73% of Democrats, 77% of Republicans and 67% of independents.

By the numbers: If there was an abortion-related state ballot measure, the poll found that 54% of Americans would vote in favor of abortion legality, whereas 28% say that they would vote against it.

The difference was starker between the two political parties: 76% of Democrats would support abortion legality, while 34% of Republicans would.

What we're watching: Come November, voters in California, Vermont, Kentucky and Montana will get to make decisions related to abortion.

Ballot measures in Michigan and Colorado are still awaiting certification.

https://www.axios.com/2022/08/10/pol...ate-ballot-roe
    Last edited by Tom Montgomery; 08-10-2022 at 07:02 PM.
    "I'll tell you why [religion's] not a scam. In my opinion, all right? Tide goes in, tide goes out. Never a miscommunication. You can't explain that."Bill O'Reilly

Default Re: 70% of Americans want state referendums on abortion.

It will be interesting to see how many politicians are voted in and voted out on the coattails of this issue.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

The late Justice Ginsburg would probably approve.

I think the concept of awakening the sleeping giant is alive and well, and it's a giantess.

Problem is that is no mechanism to put it on the red state ballots or any state ballot at this time. If only there was a way to force a vote in every state it would drive the election.

Quote Originally Posted by Catalina 22 View Post
    Problem is that is no mechanism to put it on the red state ballots or any state ballot at this time. If only there was a way to force a vote in every state it would drive the election.
    Actually, in lots of states there is definitely a way. More in the west, less in the east and south. More than you ever wanted to know here.
    Last edited by Keith Wilson; 08-10-2022 at 07:36 PM.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

I thought that citizens initiated referenda was a creature of the right originally?
    And if those are the numbers, and eventually it will filter through even gerrymandered legislatures, where will the leave the USSC?

"Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned

. Will. Congreeve

Imagine the fury of a nation of them.

Has no effect on the Supremes. They threw it back to the states.

Setting aside that forcing women to spend 18 years of their lives in a job they may not want should not be a decision of any government, the Supremes declared that it was not the job of the Federal government.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

All the Supreme Court did was hold that the Constitution doesn't protect legal abortion.

Data about public attitudes here.

Interestingly, attitudes toward abortion aren't that different between men and women, It correlates far better with religious affiliation, not so much Catholics, but evangelical Protestants oppose it. by a large majority:

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,

Richard Feynman

Education, age and religion…………. Same conflicts as always regardless of the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Education, age and religion…………. Same conflicts as always regardless of the subject.
    Indeed. And if you add in rural/urban, that pretty much covers it.

Richard Feynman

The great irony here is that SCOTUS probably made a credible decision, although I disagree with it. This is something that should be settled by laws written by elected officials, not judges. Maybe finally it will be. I doubt that 50 states will have uniform laws on abortion, but I expect a majority will have something resembling Roe v Wade. In the process, maybe we will have fewer elected officials that do not reflect the opinion of the majority of the people.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Catholics... 56/42 legal/nonlegal split.

I believe the stance on birth control is probably wider.

We American Catholics give the His Popiness no nevermind.

"You no play-a the game, you no make-a the rules."
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Well from Paul and Nicea it was always about control of patrimony/inheritance/property/money. Hasn't changed much, just occasionally better camoflaged.

Isn't that what is supposed to happen now, each state decides?

Quote Originally Posted by Boatbum View Post
    I would offer that it is too large of a national issue to be left to the states. A woman's right to autonomy over her own body shouldn't be left to the chance that she is living in a state that has an outright ban on the procedure.

The USSC shouldn't be a cudgel of a particular religious point of view by a few of the more pious members of the court, smacks a bit of a "Star Chamber" mentality. If we had a less divided Congress with all members believing that a person's control over their own body is sacrosanct (or if men were the one's who got pregnant) this would be settled federal law.

On this one: USSC = FAIL!
    "Unrepentant Reprobate"
    Lew Barrett

No.

The federal government could pass a law. I agree with Kevin T that is where the decision should be made.
    Life is complex.

The differences between Canada and the US, politically, is obvious and stark. We had a group of colonies that joined together to form a single country under one government. The US is a loose affiliation of mostly independent countries, some of whom don’t like each other very much.

I can’t see a single, overarching federal law on this issue being enacted without universal state desire to do so, and that’s not there.

Quote Originally Posted by Decourcy View Post
    The US is a loose affiliation of mostly independent countries, some of whom don’t like each other very much.

I can’t see a single, overarching federal law on this issue being enacted without universal state desire to do so, and that’s not there.
    Well, sort of, maybe. We've been getting progressively less and less like a loose confederation for 250 years now, and federal law overriding the wishes of some of the states (very rarely the majority) is pretty common. We had a nearly uniform national abortion law for nearly 50 years, and reinstituting it wouldn't be that traumatic.

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Too Little Time View Post
    No.

The federal government could pass a law. I agree with Kevin T that is where the decision should be made.

Last time I looked there was no law and so it belongs with the states.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Well, sort of, maybe. We've been getting progressively less and less like a loose confederation for 250 years now, and federal law overriding the wishes of some of the states (very rarely the majority) is pretty common. We had a nearly uniform national abortion law for nearly 50 years, and reinstituting it wouldn't be that traumatic.
    The "law" wasn't really a law but a constitutional judgement but yes abortion was universally legal for 50 years however there was no uniformity to it. Each state had different laws governing when and how and abortion could be performed About the only uniformity was that abortions were legal in all states in the first trimester though the procedures were still quite different with regard to the actual procurement of the abortion.

. . . however there was no uniformity to it.
    Only around the edges. The differences were way smaller than they appeared, mainly partly-futile attempts by conservative states to restrict abortion by being as annoying as possible.

But a federal law would be an excellent idea.

Richard Feynman

The "law" wasn't really a law but a constitutional judgement . . .
    Wrong. There is no distinction.

It is emphatically the province and duty of the Judicial Department to say what the law is.

-- Marbury vs. Madison
    A law with every bit as much force as anything passed by the legislature.

. . . but yes abortion was universally legal for 50 years however there was no uniformity to it. Each state had different laws governing when and how and abortion could be performed About the only uniformity was that abortions were legal in all states in the first trimester though the procedures were still quite different with regard to the actual procurement of the abortion.
    Also wrong. The states were uniformly bound by Roe vs. Wade, which was the law.
    I'm not leaving.

-- Mike Pence