Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for sources to fabricate a steel centerboard

Default Re: Looking for sources to fabricate a steel centerboard

I think the prices being talked about here are way off base. The OP needs to contact a couple of supplier/fabricators local to him and get a quote for the steel, cut to shape. Then talk to them about having the nose profiled. The cb only weighs a 150 pounds, more or less. So the overall cost will be mostly in the cutting. It is important to tell the supplier what the thing is for and that it must be flat. The best cutting will be via plasma on a water table or using a water jet. Don't cut the plate with a conventional gas torch.

If galvanizing is possible then go for that. Otherwise, use paint.

Doing the profile oneself is possible but maybe not a job many would like to do. It is a dirty and loud operation to grind that much steel. And it's not a lot of fun after the first inch or so.

To the OP.... Stop thinking about this. Just make some calls.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    A shop in Hinesburg, VT could for sure do the basic shape & probably any bevels. They've done a lot a "interesting" projects - including oddly shaped stainless water tanks for my boat.

Giroux Bros. is the name - talk to Steve. You could tell them Garret Mott sent you, but you'll get "Oh s*** - this'll be something weird" along with en eye-roll & grin. Their grandfather started the business as a wagon works & wheel wright shop.
    Thanks for this lead. Many years ago, I lived in Shelburne and would love to have another excuse to visit Vermont. I will give Steve a call and drop your name.

Quote Originally Posted by DeanP View Post
    Thanks for this lead. Many years ago, I lived in Shelburne and would love to have another excuse to visit Vermont. I will give Steve a call and drop your name.
    Cool - hope it works out.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

If the chosen material is ordinary low carbon steel, the perimeter can be quickly and easily cut on pretty much any metal-cutting band saw. At 12mm thick, the board only weighs about 90 pounds minus whatever material is later removed to create the foil shape.