Thread: Benedict Arnold; Hero Betrayed

Default Benedict Arnold; Hero Betrayed

fascinating look at Arnold. Spirited sailor, fearless leader driven by honor and status.

Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 08-09-2022 at 10:45 PM.
    Without friends none of this is possible.

Default Re: Benedict Arnold; Hero Betrayed

Arnold deserves his reputation.

Jeff C
    Don’t expect much, and you won’t be disappointed…

Quote Originally Posted by leikec View Post
    Arnold deserves his reputation.

Jeff C
    are you sure? A deeper look provides great insight. He was a true American hero and exemplary leader. Most military historians give him credit for winning some of the most important battles during that time. Washington had the highest regard for him.

perhaps you should take a look at the doc and consider the complexity of life during a war of independence. Few of the founding fathers were clean, even less were honorable
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 08-09-2022 at 11:09 PM.

Default Benedict Arnold; Hero Betrayed

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    are you sure? A deeper look provides great insight. He was a true American hero and exemplary leader. Most military historians give him credit for winning some of the most important battles during that time. Washington had the highest regard for him.

perhaps you should take a look at the doc and consider the complexity of life during a war of independence. Few of the founding fathers were clean, even less were honorable

Brilliant general, yes.

And a traitor.

You should visit Blennerhasset's Island in the Ohio River, where he planned his counter-revolution in conjunction with Spanish agents so he could install himself as king.

https://magicalhistory.blog/2019/12/13/treason-sir/

At best, Burr was an amoral power-hungry opportunist.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey View Post
    Brilliant general, yes.

And a traitor.

You should visit Blennerhasset's Island in the Ohio River, where he planned his counter-revolution in conjunction with Spanish agents so he could install himself as king.

https://magicalhistory.blog/2019/12/13/treason-sir/

At best, Burr was an amoral power-hungry opportunist.
    Burr was a scoundrel.

As for Arnold as a traitor - tens of thousands of "americans" colonists flipped sides during the war. How many thousands of colonial families left much or often everything and went north to live in Canada after the war of Independence. Would you call them traitors for fighting for independence and realizing the words were just ideals; not really considered in practice for every man and very importantly many american ambitious victors were simply just interested replacing the british ruling class in the Americas with themselves. Like I said - very compelling personal study of a self made brave but hardened man during a complex time in the nations yearly history.

In that backdrop - it is a wonder that the US constitution was drawn up and ratified a few years after the articles of confederation and how much more praise and respect we should give George Washington.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 08-10-2022 at 02:10 AM.

Burr was a scoundrel.

As for Arnold as a traitor - tens of thousands of "americans" colonists flipped sides during the war. How many thousands of colonial families left much or often everything and went north to live in Canada after the war of Independence. Would you call them traitors for fighting for independence and realizing the words were just ideals; not really considered in practice for every man and very importantly many american ambitious victors were simply just interested replacing the british ruling class in the Americas with themselves. Like I said - very compelling personal study of a self made brave but hardened man during a complex time in the nations yearly history.

In that backdrop - it is a wonder that the US constitution was drawn up and ratified a few years after the articles of confederation and how much more praise and respect we should give George Washington.
    Similar attempts were made in early colonial Aus. Moves were afgoot to find a minor Brit. royal to be king and then he'd appoint his recruiters lords and earls etc. etc……………….. and then they found gold, lots of gold. The small population of squatters, (land grabbers), free settlers and ex convicts was swamped with hopefuls from all over the world in cluding freedom fighters and revolutionaries from Poland, Hungary, Italy and miners from the Amrican and Canadian fields. The miners objected to taxation without representation, then the Eureka Rebellion….. and we got a Parliamentary representational democracy. It gets a bit rocky at time but it seems to work. At least no one has refused to go when defeated.

Yah yah . . . and then he was a traitor. Complexity, my butt. Clean, as if. Guys were dying for the cause he betrayed. Did they deserve to die in vain because they weren't "clean"? Perhaps you should take a look at them for a deeper insight, meaning, whose side would you have been on? Theirs? Clearly not, in your case.
    Last edited by Osborne Russell; 08-10-2022 at 07:00 AM.
    I'm not leaving.

-- Mike Pence

I’ve taken a deeper look, over a period of many years. He was a traitor, by any standard. Washington had great regard for his fighting abilities, but also was critical of some of his other behavior. After Arnold’s duplicity, Washington despised him, as did virtually everyone, on both sides of the conflict.

While there is never anything wrong in taking a fresh look at a historical figure, even one who, like Arnold, is reviled, there is not much worth to this particular effort.

Jeff C

Some Americans loyal to George III moved to the Bahamas too. If Britain had handled things differently we would be a British Commonwealth nation today, but a smaller nation. Napoleon never would have sold that piece of real estate to a British Commonwealth ever.

I walk past a house on my way to church where Benedict Arnold apparently came at least once and stayed as a guest. Fredericton was a British garrison town at the time.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

A traitor, period, full stop. Was he a very good general for the US early on? Yes. Was he a traitor? Of course.

The Brits despised him afterward.
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Every Republican is an obstacle to progress.

Burr was a scoundrel.

It wasn't that he "flipped" sides. And his treason didn't take start until 1804, while he was Vice-President.

After he murdered Alexander Hamilton, his reputation was shot. Once his vice-presidency was over, he was locked out of "the room where it happened".

He worked with a Spanish agent, General James Wilkinson then Senior Officer of the U.S. Army and planned a counter-revolution to carve out his own country where he could be king.

After the plot was exposed and his trial for treason ended in acquittal due to John Marshall's insistence that treason must involve the actual levying of war, he fled to Europe. Where, without success, he tried several other times to gin up support for his plans.

https://www.thoughtco.com/burr-conspiracy-5220736

He loved himself and power more than his country.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Benadick Donald: another traitor

Quote Originally Posted by innuendo
    I’ve taken a deeper look, over a period of many years. He was a traitor, by any standard. Washington had great regard for his fighting abilities, but also was critical of some of his other behavior. After Arnold’s duplicity, Washington despised him, as did virtually everyone, on both sides of the conflict.

While there is never anything wrong in taking a fresh look at a historical figure, even one who, like Arnold, is reviled, there is not much worth to this particular effort.

Jeff C
    You can keep your opinion but I think you are looking at it in a poor light.

Arnold responded as once honorable men do in early 18th century; these men are a whole different deal than what you can imagine. If honor and prestige is taken from a man who sought that more than anything; what motive and actions does/did one do. I happen to believe those who were envious of Arnold's bravery and boldness sought to ruin a man reputation and take his hard earned accolades and laurels for themselves. What they could not do in public they took to gossip, inuendo and personal slander as to rip away what he has achieved. These men who wronged him in the social and political arena refused to stand in the field of honor knowing full well he would kill them; instead they worked to poison his soil in the shadows.

He may have betrayed many of the revolutionary colonists but it was also many of the revolutionaries who betrayed him first.

C0B2F5D4-5A5B-4559-A3F3-9FBCDF0832C5.jpg

You’re hilarious, Ted.

It sounds like you’ll buy the Emperor’s new clothes whenever you see them…

Jeff C

Historic revisionism can make saints out of anyone, including Tricky Dick, Ronnie, and I am sure Donnie

Quote Originally Posted by leikec View Post

You’re hilarious, Ted.

It sounds like you’ll buy the Emperor’s new clothes whenever you see them…

Jeff C
    I have always had a drive to understand why some of the greatest leaders, heroes and warriors fall from the pantheon of the great men and women.

My career path has lead me to meet some of the most regarded and lowest regarded people of our era. I often note here some of my interactions and what I learn in the moments of revelations and discovery. I have found those with great wealth and fame get away with truly dishonorable things and are forgiven for the most heinous acts. Redemption is generally related to the power of personal reprisals, size of digital assets and land holdings usually related to holding the purse strings of many others.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 08-10-2022 at 12:25 PM.

Alexander Hamilton, by the turn of the 19th century, had known Aaron Burr, served under Washington together, had been both friends and business partners (they practiced law together after the war). He had a good, solid understanding of the man's character.

Letter from Alexander Hamilton to Representative Harrison Gray Otis, December 23rd, 1800:

https://www.gilderlehrman.org/sites/...-00496-028.pdf

N York Decr. 23. 1800

Dr Sir,

I lose no time in replying to your letter of the 17- this day received.My opinion is, after mature reflection, that if Jefferson and Burr come with equal votes to the House of Representatives, the former ought to be preferred by the [struck: House ofRepresentatives] Federalists.
    Mr. Jefferson, though too revolutionary in his notions, is yet a lover of liberty and will be desirous of something like orderly Government — Mr. Burr loves nothing but himself — thinks of nothing but his own aggrandizement — and will be content with nothing short of permanent power [struck: and] in his own hands — No compact, that he should make with any [struck: other] passion in his [struck: own] breast except [struck: his] Ambition, could be relied upon by himself — How then should we be able to rely upon any agreement with him?Mr. Jefferson, I suspect will not dare much Mr. Burr will [inserted in margin: dare every thing in the sanguine hope of effecting every thing —]

If Mr. Jefferson is likely from predilection for France to draw the Country into War on her side — Mr. Burr will certainly endeavour to do it for the sake of creating the means of personal power and wealth.

This portrait is the result of long and attentive observation on a [strikeout] man withwhom I am personally well — and in respect to whose character I have had peculiar opportunities of forming a correct judgment.

By no means, my Dear Sir, let the Federalists be responsible for his Elevation — In a choice of Evils let them take the least — Jefferson is in every view less dangerous than Burr.
    Yrs. with great [aft & resp]
    A Hamilton

H.G Otis. Esq

Letter from Alexander Hamilton to James McHenry denouncing Burr, January 4th, 1801:

My Dr. Sir,

I was at Albany when your letter got here. I have snatched the full hour from my avocation to sketch to you my thoughts in a rude shape.

Yrs. Affecty.

A.H.

N York Jany 4. 1801

My dear Mack,

By yesterday’s post I received your letter of the 31 of December. I was just about to write to you on the principal subject of it.

Nothing has given me so much chagrin on the Intelligence that the Federalist party were thinking seriously of supporting Mr. Burr for President — I should consider the execution of the plan as devoting the country and signing them our death warrant. Mr. Burr will probably make stipulations but he will laugh in his sleeve while he makes them and he will break them the first moment it may serve his purpose. But will not his interest govern him? It doubtless will, as he understands it. But stable power and great wealth being his objects, and these being unattainable by means that the sober part of the Federalists will countenance, he will certainly deceive and disappoint them. A H — Lee etc., etc. may find their account in it but good men or the Country never will. At least such ought to be the calculation; from a profligate, a bankrupt, a man who laughing at democracy has played the whole game of Jacobinism nothing better ought to be expected. Nor should a mere chapter of accidents be hazarded; it ought to be enough for us to know that he is certainly one of the most unprincipled men in the U. States.

Very different ought to be our game. Under the uncertainty of the event we ought to seek to obtain these assurances from Mr. Jefferson as the motive of our cooperation in him — 1 The support of the present fiscal system. 2 An adherence to the present neutral plan — 3 The preservation and gradual increase of the Navy. 4 The keeping in office all our Federal Friends except in the Great Departments. These and in other matters he ought to be free.

Be assured, you cannot better serve your Country than by exerting your influence with your friends to detach them effectually from the idea of supporting Mr. Burr.

Adieu Yrs. truly

Hamilton

Very Confidential

1 — He is in every sense a profligate, a voluptuary in the extreme, with uncommon habits of expence; in his profession extortionate to a proverb; suspected on strong grounds of having corruptly served the views of the Holland Company, in the Capacity of a Member of our Legislature (He cooperated in obtaining a law to permit Aliens to hold and convey lands and he is supposed to have been largely remunerated) and he is understood to have been guilty of several breaches of probity in his pecuniary transactions. His very friends do not insist upon his integrity.

2 — He is without doubt insolvent for a large deficit. All his visible property is deeply mortgaged, and he is known to owe other large debts for which there is no specific Security. Of the number of these is a judgement in favour of Mr. Angersteen for a sum which with interest amounts to about 80,000 Dollars*.

3 — The fair emoluments of any station under our government will not equal his expenses in that station; still less will they suffice to extricate him from his embarrassments and he must therefore from the necessity of his situation have recourse to unworthy expedients. There may be a bargain and sale with some foreign power, or combinations with public agents in projects of gain by means of the public monies; perhaps and probably, to enlarge the sphere — a War.

4 — He has no pretensions to the station from services. He acted in different capacities in the last war finally with the rank of Lt. Col in a Regiment, and gave indications of being a good officer; but without having had the opportunity of performing any distinguished action. At a critical period of the war, he resigned his commission, assigning for cause ill health, and went to reside at Paramus in the state of New Jersey. If his health was bad he might without difficulty have obtained furlough and was not obliged to resign. He was afterwards seen in his usual health. The circumstances excited much jealousy of his motives. In civil life he has never projected nor aided in producing a single measure of important public utility.

5 — He has constantly sided with the party hostile to federal measures before and since the present constitution of the United States. In opposing the adoption of this Constitution he was engaged covertly and insidiously; because, as he said at the time “it was too strong and too weak,” and he has been uniformly the opposer of the Federal Administration.

6 — No Mortal can tell what his political principles are. He has talked all around the compass. At times he has dealt in all the Jargon of Jacobinism; at other times he has proclaimed decidedly the total insufficiency of the Federal Government & the necessity of changes to one far more energetic. The truth seems to be that he has no plan but that of getting power by any means and keeping it by all means. It is probable that if he has any theory ‘tis that of simple despotism. He has intimated that he thinks the present French Constitution not a bad one.

7 — He is of a temper bold enough to think no enterprize too hazardous and sanguine enough to think none too difficult. He has censured the leaders of the federal party as wanting in vigour and enterprize, for not having established a strong Government when they were in possession of the power and influence.

8 — Descerning men of all parties agree in ascribing to him an irregular and inordinate ambition. Like Cataline, he is indefatigable in courting young men and profligates. He knows well the weak sides of human nature and takes care to play in with the passions of all with whom he has intercourse. By natural disposition, the haughtiest of men, he is at the same time the most creeping to answer his purposes. Cold and collected by nature or habit, he never loses sight of his object and scruples no means of accomplishing it. He is artful and intriguing to an inconceivable degree. In short all his conduct indicates that he has in view nothing less than the establishment of Supreme Power in his own person. Of this nothing can be a surer index than that having in fact high-toned notions of Government he has never the less constantly opposed the federal & courted the popular party. As he never can effect his wishes by the aid of good men, he will court and employ able and daring scoundrels of every party and by availing himself of their assistance and of all the bad passions of society, he will in all likelihood attempt an usurpation.

9 — Within the last three weeks at his own table, he drank these toasts successively 1. The French Republic. 2. The Commissioners on both sides who negotiated the Convention. 3. Buonaparte. 4. La Fayette and he countenanced and seconded the positions openly advanced by one of his guests that it was the interest of this country to leave it free to the Belligerent Powers to sell their prizes in our ports and to build and equip ships for their respective uses, a doctrine which evidently aims at turning all the naval resources of the United States into the channel of France; and by making these states the most pernicious enemy of G. Britain to oblige her to go to war with us.

10 — Through possessing infinite art, cunning and address, he is yet to give proof of great or solid abilities. At the bar he is more remarkable for dexterity than sound judgment or logic. From the character of his understanding and heart it is likely that any innovations, which he may effect will be such as to serve the turn of his own power rather, than such as will issue in establishments favourable to the permanent security and prosperity of the Nation founded upon the principles of a strong free and regular Government.

"Not realizing that Arnold was in league with the enemy, Gen. Washington enjoined him to improve West Point's defenses. Arnold pretended to embark on a whirlwind of improvements while actually weakening them. When Washington alerted Arnold that he would pass through the Hudson Valley on the way to Hartford -'I want to make my journey a secret,' Washington stressed- Arnold relayed this letter to his British accomplices, listing the places Washington would spend the night. Had the letter not been delayed, Washington might well have been taken by the British.

From Ron Chernow's excellent George Washington biography.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gray View Post
    Historic revisionism can make saints out of anyone, including Tricky Dick, Ronnie, and I am sure Donnie
    And just as important is that the winners write the history to support their version of events.

Benedict Arnold, as much as Washington and more so than most, won the Revolutionary War for the US and us.
    He pledged his fortune and his honor to the fledging country and lost both. He was rewarded with a kick in the balls.

With his privately funded militia he first captured Fort Ticonderoga with Ethan Allen and the Green Mountain Boys in 1776. He then funded and led an ill advised attack on Quebec.
    Then he built the first naval fleet at Skenesboro on Lake Champlain where he engaged Gen. Guy Carlton in the fall of 1776, delaying Carlton and forcing him to retreat back to Canada, despite sustaining heavy losses. This is generally credited as being the first naval battle of our fledgling nation. This action denied the British from severing the colonies in two and providing them with a major water route from Canada to New York. https://www.battlefields.org/learn/r...valcour-island

He then joined forces with Gen. Horatio Gates at Saratoga where he was instrumental in defeating Burgoyne, again saving the nation from being bisected, and keeping the 10,000 British troops from joining Cornwallis in New York. https://www.battlefields.org/learn/r...ttles/saratoga

For this, he fully expected to be promoted to Major General. However Gates, as the senior officer, took all the glory and accolades for himself.

Arnold, by all accounts was a pompous, arrogant and narcissistic rich man. However there is no denying his abilities or bravery on the field of battle, or as a tactician. But his contemporaries hated him and stabbed him in the back at every turn. Congress, whom had pledged to pay back the fortunes that he brought to the table, refused to do so and denied him promotions at least 5 different times. And when he married Peggy Shippen in 1779,the daughter of a wealthy Loyalist merchant, he was accused already of being disloyal to the nation. Extravagant and arrogant, he was deeply in debt when he offered to sell the plans to West Point to the British. It has been suggested that he was set up, but it cannot be denied that the his treatment by the Continental Congress played a large part in his downfall.
    Just as there is no denying that he did as much as and more than most in securing our freedom from the tyranny of the British.
    Last edited by Chris Woodward; 08-10-2022 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bflat View Post
    "Not realizing that Arnold was in league with the enemy, Gen. Washington enjoined him to improve West Point's defenses. Arnold pretended to embark on a whirlwind of improvements while actually weakening them. When Washington alerted Arnold that he would pass through the Hudson Valley on the way to Hartford -'I want to make my journey a secret,' Washington stressed- Arnold relayed this letter to his British accomplices, listing the places Washington would spend the night. Had the letter not been delayed, Washington might well have been taken by the British.

From Ron Chernow's excellent George Washington biography.
    No doubt Arnold changed sides and did not or could not conduct himself as Washington did. Arnold had lead a series of successful battles throughout the war prior, he was nearly killed and almost lost his leg at one of his most defining early moments as a great leader and then his character was assassinated by jealous rivals. Its a hard to compared him to Washington who at the very beginning had the state of Virginia and numerous wealthy men behind him. We should remember it was George Washington and other revolutionary scoundrels were the colonial outlaws and state criminals. Bringing up morality and ethics during a time of conflict is complicated - the war for independence was actually related to stealing British hardware and assets, removing lawful authority, confiscating Crown land, and ultimately the removal of Native American sovereignty and breaking of respected treaties.

Analysis of Arnold’s actions have been simplified over the years to serve a narrative of right and wrong. While Arnold’s betrayal was clear—he offered the British seizure of the military fortress at West Point, NY, in exchange for 10,000 pounds and a British military commission—what led up to that moment of betrayal is more complicated and less political than is often taught.

https://www.history.com/news/why-did...betray-america

Arnold was the victim of a smear campaign.

Some would say the catalyst was Pennsylvania Supreme Executive Council President Joseph Reed.
    He took a personal dislike to Arnold and, in 1779, attempted to prosecute him on a series of treason charges ranging from buying illegal goods to preferring the company of British loyalists. In the build-up of his case, Reed was known to spread rumors about Arnold without offering proof of his allegations.

Arnold’s wife encouraged his treason.

Arnold was also deeply in debt and newly married to an ambitious woman. His wife, Peggy, was the daughter of a prominent Philadelphia family with loyalist leanings that had fared better under the British. Peggy was accustomed to a certain level of living and some historians believe that Peggy steered Arnold to the British in order to maintain that lifestyle. Becoming a traitor to his country could fetch him a handsome payment from the British.

Even the British disparaged Arnold for his turncoat ways.

Lehman thinks it’s important to remember the whole story of Arnold—his betrayal wasn’t just treason. The British, who had much to gain from Arnold switching sides, found him dishonorable and untrustworthy. “One thing that has been left out of so many tellings of Arnold’s story is that he didn’t stop after his West Point treason was discovered,” Lehman points out. “He went on to attack Virginia—almost capturing Thomas Jefferson and then attacking Connecticut, his home state.

“Spying was one thing, but his willingness to switch sides in the middle of an armed conflict, and fight against the men who had a year earlier been fighting by his side, was something that people of that time and maybe ours could simply not understand.”
    “Both simplifications are a mistake in my view,” says Lehman. “He was certainly misunderstood, and he was a hero in the early years of the war. That should always be part of the story. “But he also betrayed his close friends, was willing to allow the death of and actually kill former comrades, and earned the name ‘traitor’ from both friend and foe. If we leave that out, we simplify the story by omission. If we can’t hold those two ideas in our head at the same time, we are in good company. People like [Marquis de] Lafayette and [George] Washington couldn’t either.”

Eric D. Lehman, author of Homegrown Terror: Benedict Arnold and the Burning of New London, notes that others at the time had similar circumstances and did not betray their country. Lehman spent time looking over Arnold’s letters and other first-hand accounts.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 08-10-2022 at 02:19 PM.

Yea Benedict Arnold was a brilliant general until he became a slimy traitor. Interesting fact is even after he fled to England things didn't go all that well it seems even the British didn't like that he was a traitor.

So I lived for years in the shadow of his famous traitorous turn. I used to moor Tidbit in the cove directly across from West Point and just up from where Arnold would flee to the British ship HMS Vulture

Screen Shot 2022-08-10 at 1.08.18 PM.jpg

history of Arnold’s escape path through present day Garrison, NY. Along the way how prominent local landowner Beverly Robinson aided Arnold’s mission.

There is this simple quote that rings true:

A]mong the hardest human beings to understand in American history. Did he become a traitor because of all the injustice he suffered, real and imagined, at the hands of the Continental Congress and his jealous fellow generals? Because of the constant agony of two battlefield wounds in an already gout-ridden leg? From psychological wounds received in his Connecticut childhood when his alcoholic father squandered the family's fortunes? Or was it a kind of extreme midlife crisis, swerving from radical political beliefs to reactionary ones, a change accelerated by his marriage to the very young, very pretty, very Tory Peggy Shippen?
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Arnold is one of the most fascinating characters in American history. Perhaps our most talented general officer during the Revolution?

I am actually related by blood to Burr, at least according to one of my dad's uncles, who was a professor at Berkeley and wrote the family history up.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

Hitler was kind to dogs. Be open to nuance.
    I'm not leaving.

-- Mike Pence

Arnold is indeed a fascinating character. Part of the tragedy of him is the fact that he would have most likely carried a great reputation out of the war had he not chosen to become a traitor.

Jeff C

Benedict Arnold was a brave traitor. OJ Simpson was a good football player and a murderer.