Thread: The Lesser's LA VIE EN ROSE

Default The Lesser's LA VIE EN ROSE

This may have been posted here already but the very special sailboat they built is now in the possession of the Northwest Maritime Center. For those attending the Port Townsend Festival there might be opportunities to see the boat there: https://www.offcenterharbor.com/videos/boat-designed-built-la-vie-en-rose/

https://nwmaritime.org/boats/our-fleet/
    Last edited by rbgarr; 08-09-2022 at 12:35 PM.
    "So we beat on, paddleboats against the wake of a neighbor’s jet ski, born back ceaselessly into the past." The Great Lakes Gatsby

Default Re: The Lesser's LA VIE EN ROSE

Lovely boat. I was wondering about her recently.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Dave Lesser.... What are you sailing now?

Jeff
    Last edited by jpatrick; 08-10-2022 at 10:22 AM.

Wow, big news. Fantastic for the maritime centre , sad to hear she's changed owners though.

In case any here have missed this:

https://www.woodenboat.com/la-vie-en-rose

One of the great boats of the modern era, in conception, design and execution. A terrific offshore boat. It is a little sad not see her used for the far voyages they originally intended, but life has a way of changing one's plans.
    Alex

“It's only those who do nothing that make no mistakes, I suppose.”
    - Joseph Conrad, An Outcast of the Islands

http://www.alexzimmerman.ca

I saw her in Port Townsend last week

She is a stunning boat but it does seem a shame to put her into the sail training fleet so soon. She should be in Fiji with Jon's Julia.
    - Chris

Any single boat project will always expand to encompass the set of all possible boat projects.

Life is short. Go boating now!

Quote Originally Posted by AJZimm View Post
    . . . life has a way of changing one's plans.
    True dat.

We lived aboard for six summers and had pretty much worked our way through all the chapters of Waggoners. In the fall of 2018, we circumnavigated Vancouver Island then headed south on a wonderful offshore passage to San Francisco, made even more enjoyable by Alex Zimmerman’s companionship.

Our ultimate goal was the wooden boat festival in Hobart, but we were seduced by kids and grandkids who needed our help for a few months in the Bay area. We found day sailing in the Bay a poor substitute for our weeks-long explorations of the stunning BC coast.

Then the Covid year, followed by something completely unexpected.

Rosemary went to work on December 31, 2020, expecting to be retired when she got off the next morning. During that shift, our state representative (who had just been elected the month before) passed away, and Rosemary was asked to run for that seat. She won a special election, and now holds the only Democratic seat in the Utah legislature outside of Salt Lake City. Our focus is on trying to curb the darkest impulses of the majority party in the Utah legislature.

Keeping that seat this November will be a challenge. Her gerrymandered district now has an 8-10 point Republican advantage, and we’re both consumed full time with her campaign. She is an Ob/Gyn doctor, and she will have a critical role in trying to influence the post-Roe landscape here.

Bottom line is that priorities have shifted, and I didn’t want to be the one responsible for the boat’s decline while our attention was focused elsewhere. We’re delighted that La Vie en Rose is being cared for by people who are as passionate about her as we are. She’s at home in Port Townsend, and we’ll have the option of spending some time aboard next summer. That wouldn’t be the case if someone had sailed her over the horizon.
    One of the great things about this forum is that we don't all have to accumulate the same scar tissue.
    AJ Zimm

Gorgeous, sorry to see this.

She's a beauty.

Sounds like a good result, overall, Dave.

Keep swingin'!

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Dave, all my best to you and Rosemary. I hope she kicks but in the Utah legislature!

Jeff

Rosemary will do great. Glad you are making the best of everything and finding more joy in these upcoming years.

I always have a boat for you to use when you visit the bay area.
    Without friends none of this is possible.

I went aboard in Port Townsend the year she was launched. That is the most comofortable sailboat interior I have ever experienced.

Best of luck to Rosemary at the upcoming polls. Glad you will still have a smidgeon of a connection to your old boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Jackson View Post
    I went aboard in Port Townsend the year she was launched. That is the most comofortable sailboat interior I have ever experienced.

It is a comfortable sea boat, Tom. Here is a short video clip from that offshore trip Dave mentioned, showing the motion. A nice, easy roll.

On a broad reach somewhere off the Washington coast.
    Alex

“It's only those who do nothing that make no mistakes, I suppose.”
    - Joseph Conrad, An Outcast of the Islands

http://www.alexzimmerman.ca

Thanks all for the kind words and good wishes. It's been bittersweet, and it didn't help that our shakedown sail with her new caretakers was one of those perfect sparkling PNW days.

We're glad that others will get to share the joy.

One of the great things about this forum is that we don't all have to accumulate the same scar tissue.
    AJ Zimm

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

You gave up the boat to be the lone elected Democrat in Utah.

I have to honor both your dedication to serve and the quixotic nature of the task your wife has set herself to accomplish. And you have put something beautiful and worthy into the world with La Vie En Rose. Seems like a good way to live to me.
    - Chris

Any single boat project will always expand to encompass the set of all possible boat projects.

Life is short. Go boating now!

A remarkable story, and a generous one.
    I'm sure many will enjoy that fine craft for years to come.
    Thank you Dave!

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    You gave up the boat to be the lone elected Democrat in Utah.
    The only Democrat outside of Salt Lake County. There are 17 Democrats and 58 Republicans in the Utah House of Representatives. The districts in Salt Lake City are actually Blue, and some of the Republicans are reasonable people, but they couldn't get elected if they had a "D" after their name on the ballot. The nutters live in the suburbs and rural areas.

Imagine how bad things would be if there were NO resistance.
    Last edited by Dave Lesser; 08-19-2022 at 11:06 AM.
    AJ Zimm

"We're glad that others will get to share the joy."

We agree that it is not easy to be ashore and watch your creation sail on without you, but we share your sentiment, Dave and Marjorie.
    Since you also know our schooner, I thought that you might relate to a passage from our log (just change the name and rig):

"There is truly a beauty to the creation of such as this schooner, MAGIC. All who helped build her, who brought accumulated skills and experience handed down through the years, have left a piece of themselves in her keeping. The fashioning of woods, wire and cloth into such a sweet, capable vessel is indeed a “magical” transition. As I stood and watched, MAGIC used the gentle night breezes to slide up and over the easy, moonlit swells, at ease in accomplishing effortlessly what she was designed to do. Her motion raised a song in my soul and it seemed as if I sensed a cheery, gleeful reply. Do these wooden boats have a soul? I find it hard to say "No" when I'm here at sea with her. "

We wish you both success and hope to match up again someday.

Craig and Vicky Johnsen

To have given life to such a boat is a noble cause in itself, and it sounds like you have already used it more than the vast majority of boat owners. It's good to know your priorities. I hope Rosemary gives them absolute hell.

You two are an inspiration to us all. Creating a thing of beauty and grace and releasing its stewardship for the stewardship of a wayward state population. Good on ya!

Quote Originally Posted by MAGIC's Craig View Post
    "There is truly a beauty to the creation of such as this schooner, MAGIC. All who helped build her, who brought accumulated skills and experience handed down through the years, have left a piece of themselves in her keeping. The fashioning of woods, wire and cloth into such a sweet, capable vessel is indeed a “magical” transition. As I stood and watched, MAGIC used the gentle night breezes to slide up and over the easy, moonlit swells, at ease in accomplishing effortlessly what she was designed to do. Her motion raised a song in my soul and it seemed as if I sensed a cheery, gleeful reply. Do these wooden boats have a soul? I find it hard to say "No" when I'm here at sea with her."
    Craig, thank you for sharing those beautiful words. They perfectly capture the essence of our experience.

As to the rest, our journey with La Vie en Rose has been the most enriching experience of our lifetimes. We have received much more than we have given, mostly in terms of friendships and inspiration by people such as Paul Gartside, Bent and Eric Jespersen, Michel Gaudin and the dozens of other craftsmen (and women) who contributed to her creation, Carol Hasse, who provided her sails and taught us how to use them, dozens of other people we have cruised with, as well as many members of this forum, both real and imaginary, who we would have otherwise never come to know.
    AJ Zimm

For those interested in helping a good cause, you can donate at https://www.rosemarylesser.com/
    Tales from the land and sea: http://terrapintales.wordpress.com/