Thread: Finishing cedar floor boards

Default Finishing cedar floor boards

The CIY 16 is designed with floor boards which can be raised and set on ledges around the cockpit to form a sleeping platform. I'm doing my brightwork with Minwax Helmsman's Spar Urethane.

I'm wondering what I should put on the cedar floor boards. The same? Leave natural? Some kind of oil?

IMG_8292.jpg

IMG_8314.jpg

Default Re: Finishing cedar floor boards

Boat soup would be my choice. Non-skid and super-easy to refinish. Plus, it smells way yotty.

I just did some floorboards in Benjamin Moore Arborcoat. It's a semi transparent deck stain. Meant to be out in the weather and take a beating. Comes in some great colors. It's beautiful stuff and wears like iron.
    David Satter www.sattersrestoration.com
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" Ben Franklin

I just refinished my cedar floorboards with a somewhat random mixture of tung oil (lots), boiled linseed (some), Pettit ezsealer (a bit), varnish (a touch), turps (thinned until a nice flowable consistency), and Japan Drier (because who has days to wait around for this stuff to dry?).

I applied with a foam brush, then scrubbed it in with a red/maroon 3M pad, then wiped wiped wiped until all the excess was off. Turned out really nice.

Is this Boat Soup (Boat Sauce?) Who knows. It’s usually whatever I have in the shop.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Nothing.

I finished by AYC floorboards with Deks Olje but it got dirty and blotchy. Just finished sanding it off, trying nothing this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeadon View Post
    I just refinished my cedar floorboards with a somewhat random mixture of tung oil (lots), boiled linseed (some), Pettit ezsealer (a bit), varnish (a touch), turps (thinned until a nice flowable consistency), and Japan Drier (because who has days to wait around for this stuff to dry?).

I applied with a foam brush, then scrubbed it in with a red/maroon 3M pad, then wiped wiped wiped until all the excess was off. Turned out really nice.

Is this Boat Soup (Boat Sauce?) Who knows. It’s usually whatever I have in the shop.
    Just looked it up. I think you've got it. The article I read noted that it is usually dark.

Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by dalekidd View Post
    The article I read noted that it is usually dark.
    which will make it hot in the summer. Bare wood= bare feet.

Another vote for leave them alone
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

And still another. Nada, zip, zilch. Wash them down with salt water regularly. Lightly bleach with a mild solution of oxalic or citric acid in water. Never ever allow anybody to bring potato chips, greasy cold cuts, or mayonnaise aboard.

Quote Originally Posted by dalekidd View Post
    Just looked it up. I think you've got it. The article I read noted that it is usually dark.
    Naked white cedar will be very light in color.

Quote Originally Posted by JimConlin View Post
    Naked white cedar will be very light in color.
    And easy to maintain. Scrub with salt water and if someone drops something greasy on them use a bit of TSP.

and you were looking for consensus, right?

I'm of the "leave them alone" school re the floorboards.
    But what concerned me was the mention of Minwax "spar varnish." If you haven't already done it, don't do it. You'll be lucky to get a single season out of it before it starts peeling. I would use almost any brand of varnish first, but specifically Epiphanes or Stoppani. Or, you could try Cetol, which I've had good luck with and (so far) really like, though it usually has very vocal detractors in any discussion group along with equally vocal proponents. Basically, just don't use Minwax. It's cheap, it's home-owner grade, and single part, hardware store urethane is not great stuff to use on exterior wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cleek View Post
    And still another. Nada, zip, zilch. Wash them down with salt water regularly. Lightly bleach with a mild solution of oxalic or citric acid in water. Never ever allow anybody to bring potato chips, greasy cold cuts, or mayonnaise aboard.
    ... Or "spray on" sunscreen...
    Heute ist so ein schöne Tag...

You can't go wrong with what most folks here said. I use just a little rubbed in teak or tongue oil very occasionally, then wipe as much off as possible.

I'm impressed with how nicely the boards fit when you raise them. Please do let us know how well it works to sleep on them.
    Tales from the land and sea: http://terrapintales.wordpress.com/