Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cargo pants

Default Cargo pants

Are apparently no longer in fashion. According to the interwebs, they died in circa 1999 or so. So hard to keep up.

Not acceptable. I need all the pockets. The selection online and at Academy stinks. Now I have to search tacticool pants for $100.

It’s all low rise skinny pants. Not gonna happen.

Default Re: Cargo pants

I wear cargo pants for work. Wrangler has a decent selection.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

My 3 piece suit: Keens, cargo pants, and T shirt.
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

95-99% of my wardrobe comes from thrift stores. I’d bet you can find some swank cargo pants/shorts in a thrift store.

What Rob says. There's a reason he's EfL.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    It’s funny because I often get comments on this or that tee shirt, or some pants or shorts. I have literally bought no clothes for myself in decades.
    Since my last shoe sponsorship lapsed, I haven’t brought ANY of my own clothes into the home.

One of my favorite quotes from a friend came from my Irish buddy Jimmy (not “American” Irish, born in Cork, still a citizen of Ireland, Irish) at a barbecue. He said, “Gee, Rob, you got all dressed up! Your clothes don’t have paint or glue on them or nothing!”

I am constantly amazed that I have friends and they abide me. I’m a lucky dude.

I tend to get work clothes from the thrift stores. Then I have no angst if they get trashed. A good # of the 'cargo' pants/shorts I stumble across come from outdoor/fishing outfitters like LL Bean, REI, Orvis, etc. Buying new from them gets expensive, though.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

You have clothes without paint or glue on them?

Dude.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    Are apparently no longer in fashion. According to the interwebs, they died in circa 1999 or so. So hard to keep up.

Not acceptable. I need all the pockets. The selection online and at Academy stinks. Now I have to search tacticool pants for $100.

Tom, check out 'Duluthtrading.com' - rugged stuff, well made, not cheap - but not $ 100 , as far as I know (no affiliation )

Rick
    Charter Member - - Professional Procrastinators Association of America - - putting things off since 1965 " I'll get around to it tomorrow, .... maybe "

wearing cargo shorts as I type this
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

The pleats in the pockets of my cargo shorts keep getting snagged on hardware on my boat. Guess I’ll have to change the hardware on my boat.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post

Tom, check out 'Duluthtrading.com' - rugged stuff, well made, not cheap - but not $ 100 , as far as I know (no affiliation )

Rick
    Charter Member - - Professional Procrastinators Association of America - - putting things off since 1965 " I'll get around to it tomorrow, .... maybe "

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    The pleats in the pockets of my cargo shorts keep getting snagged on hardware on my boat. Guess I’ll have to change the hardware on my boat.
    YES!! This is my biggest issue with cargo pants, whether long legs or shorts. Every pair that I've ever owned wound up snagged and ripped, caught on door knobs, cleats, even a fitting on a foreign escalator once. I like the pockets, I like the pants but snagging is always a problem.

Check out Blåkläder work clothes. Really well made, quirky (but serious) Swedish work clothes.

https://www.blaklader.com/en/product...tility-pockets

https://www.blaklader.com/en/product...tility-pockets

You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Granddaughter’s boyfriend snagged a black silk bomber style jacket at a Goodwill. It was in their special rack for the astounding price of $50.
    on the back in beautiful embroidery it had a map of VietNam and “Yankee Station Yacht Club 68 - 69”.
    He Ebayed it for $1,200 and bought a Stratocaster!
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

Most of my clothes come from Costco. I'm not proud of it, but their clothes don't cost much and are well-made. My wife brought me home a pair of Orvis cargo shorts; very comfortable and the cargo pockets don't billow out and catch on things. The size 32 fits my 34 waist perfectly, and the soft waistband coddles my gut. I bought a second pair.

For cooler weather it's $13.99 Costco denim jeans. My $50 Levis are reserved for dressy occasions. Black Levis and black Converse All-Stars for funerals.

As for clothing trends, I've learned that if you hang on to something long enough it will come back into fashion, but it could take 20 years.

Wrangler Rangers are my go-to for the last decade, also available in shorts. Seven pockets. I have two brand new pairs, unworn, with tags still on, in 42 X 30, that are now way too big for me. What size are you looking for?

If I didn't have cargo pockets, there would be no place for my phone
    What's not on a boat costs nothing, weighs nothing, and can't break

so, the short version, is that were the saying " take it in the shorts" comes from?

Just type in "work trousers" in to Amazon, they look remarkably like cargo pants... And for less than £20, heavy duty cloth.. I wear them for work all the time...

Round the garden, and working on boats/ car / house, I'll wear overalls, padded insulated in the winter..

Best I got from a charity shop was a tweed jacket, for £5, it was in perfect condition, and still a listed model from the manufacturer.. list price, £300...

I would not regard jeans as suitable for a" dressy Event", I have a black suit for funerals, and wear kilt, Argyll jacket, dress shirt, with appropriate tie, coloured patterned hose, and highly polished shoes for dressy events...
    Just an amateur bodging away..

Maybe Fanny Packs will come back in style as well!

I've seen chatter in more than a few places that men over 40 shouldn't wear cargo shorts (unless for hot weather work applications) and should never wear flip flops unless going to the beach. And please, if wearing flip flops we can all do without the yellowed toenail fungus, ain't nobody got time for that, nor the stomach for that.

The thought being is that cargo shorts and flip flops are for teenaged boys or maybe in their early 20's.

All others are trying too hard to be something they aren't, mainly 20 something Frat boys.
    "Unrepentant Reprobate"
    Lew Barrett

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin T View Post
    I've seen chatter in more than a few places that men over 40 shouldn't wear cargo shorts
    Oh horse pucky. Whoever came up with that rule is a complete idjit. I'm 25 years past forty and been happily wearing cargo shorts for at least 30 years. Anybody who can't stand the sight of an old geezer like me in cargo shorts needs to avert their eyes. And don't no one ever tell me I am inappropriately dressed for my age or they likely be fisticuffs.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryLL View Post
    Oh horse pucky. Whoever came up with that rule is a complete idjit. I'm 25 years past forty and been happily wearing cargo shorts for at least 30 years. Anybody who can't stand the sight of an old geezer like me in cargo shorts needs to avert their eyes. And don't no one ever tell me I am inappropriately dressed for my age or they likely be fisticuffs.
    I'm wearing a pair of Duluth Trading Flex Fire Hose cargo shorts as I type this, they are mid thigh with a zippered pocket in each leg.

I think what the issue is, is when guys over 40 wear cargo shorts that hang below the knee (they almost look like women's capri pants) and stand around in flip flops and ponderous beer guts they are considered ridiculous looking. Think the director Kevin Smith.

Don't hate on the messenger, these are just a few of the things I hear the 70 plus year old VN vets say when some guy in his late 30's pushes a stroller past the coffee shop where they're hanging out. I don't think it's really a rule, just an observation by cats well past 21.
    "Unrepentant Reprobate"
    Lew Barrett

I’m 78 and wearing cargo pants. If 20 something frat boys or 40 something big dogs have a problem with it, they can eat my shorts.

Not hating on the messenger, but I kinda get my dander up when I hear that I should dress in a certain way as to not be offensive. At 75, I say to all those young whatever-generationals, that I don't give a flying crap what they think about how I'm dressed. I don't have an overhanging beer gut, but I'm thinking I might work on developing one, and maybe walking around in flip flops, and a thong.

Crocs for the win.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryLL;[URL="tel:6707138"
    6707138[/URL]]Wrangler Rangers are my go-to for the last decade, also available in shorts. Seven pockets. I have two brand new pairs, unworn, with tags still on, in 42 X 30, that are now way too big for me. What size are you looking for?
    34x32. I’ve gotten fat. Thanks though!

When I tell my daughters that I pay no attention to what people think about what I am wearing, they shake their heads. "That's obvious, Dad."
    What's not on a boat costs nothing, weighs nothing, and can't break

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphie Boy View Post
    Maybe Fanny Packs will come back in style as well!
    You can keep that fantasy to yourself.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

I have never like cargo pants or shorts.

Carhartts for me.
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Every Republican is an obstacle to progress.

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    I thought the Emperor had no clothes.

I have a couple of pairs of shorts (Carhartts, and Wranglers) with what used to be ruler pockets that are great for a cell phone. Now I am looking for long pants similarly equipped.

Being a recently divorced guy (who is thin and tall) I wear whatever the women like. Yup I even have a pair of skinny jeans for date night. Guys if you want to be current, your wardrobe needs to keep up with styles at least somewhat. Oh yeah baggy shirts are out too, tighter fitting shirts are in. In case you are wondering blue jean shorts/cut offs/jorts are really out of style.

Cargo pants (and shorts) are for when I am home alone)

Quote Originally Posted by rregge View Post
    ... Guys if you want to be current, your wardrobe needs to keep up with styles at least somewhat...
    I agree totally. My current style is self-assured oldster who just wants to be cool and comfortable. I rock that look.