Thread: Milley

Default Milley

I regret to inform you that I intend to resign as your Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. Thank you for the honor of appointing me as senior ranking officer. The events of the last couple weeks have caused me to do deep soul-searching, and I can no longer faithfully support and execute your orders as Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. It is my belief that you were doing great and irreparable harm to my country. I believe that you have made a concerted effort over time to politicize the United States military. I thought that I could change that. Iíve come to the realization that I cannot, and I need to step aside and let someone else try to do that.Second, you are using the military to create fear in the minds of the peopleóand we are trying to protect the American people. I cannot stand idly by and participate in that attack, verbally or otherwise, on the American people. The American people trust their military and they trust us to protect them against all enemies, foreign and domestic, and our military will do just that. We will not turn our back on the American people.
    Third, I swore an oath to the Constitution of the United States and embodied within that Constitution is the idea that says that all men and women are created equal. All men and women are created equal, no matter who you are, whether you are white or Black, Asian, Indian, no matter the color of your skin, no matter if youíre gay, straight or something in between. It doesnít matter if youíre Catholic, Protestant, Muslim, Jew, or choose not to believe. None of that matters. It doesnít matter what country you came from, what your last name isówhat matters is weíre Americans. Weíre all Americans. That under these colors of red, white, and blueóthe colors that my parents fought for in World War IIómeans something around the world. Itís obvious to me that you donít think of those colors the same way I do. Itís obvious to me that you donít hold those values dear and the cause that I serve.
    And lastly it is my deeply held belief that youíre ruining the international order, and causing significant damage to our country overseas, that was fought for so hard by the Greatest Generation that they instituted in 1945. Between 1914 and 1945, 150 million people were slaughtered in the conduct of war. They were slaughtered because of tyrannies and dictatorships. That generation, like every generation, has fought against that, has fought against fascism, has fought against Nazism, has fought against extremism. Itís now obvious to me that you donít understand that world order. You donít understand what the war was all about. In fact, you subscribe to many of the principles that we fought against. And I cannot be a party to that. It is with deep regret that I hereby submit my letter of resignation.
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

Default Re: Milley

I believe this was a resignation letter he drafted to give Trump, but it was rendered unnecessary?

I do not believe it is directed at the current POTUS. I think that is important to mention.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Default Milley

Here's the book excerpt, from the New Yorker, with the full text of Milley's resignation letter (at least, a draft, presumably the one he most liked -- apparently he wrote several drafts) and the context.

And since it's the New Yorker, every word has been vetted by the world's best fact-checking department.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...d-his-generals
    Last edited by Nicholas Carey; 08-08-2022 at 10:52 PM.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. ó P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

So how is this letter verified as credible and from the pen of Milley? I think it's important to show the source of this letter with the post otherwise the bilge may be corrupted and become worse than wikipedia........a source for disinformation even

Edit: I typed the above as this was posted. Thanks Nicholas

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey View Post
    Here's the book excerpt, from the New Yorker, with the full text of the resignation letter and the context.

And since it's the New Yorker, every word has been vetted by the world's best fact-checking department.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...d-his-generals
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

I think there's a fascinating "coincidence" that this letter, from the present Chair of the Joint Chiefs suddenly was priorized for a book preview release immediately prior to the Mar a Lago search warrant was executed.

There's little which has more ability to roil the trumpist militia types, or prompt calls for civil war - it's all over the forums where such folks hang out. Milley's stale letter reads rather differently, like it's fresh and new, when one considers that threat. And the degree of Trumpist sentiment within the serving and recently retired military. Yhe top General is saying in no uncertain terms where his loyalty to the Constitution takes him, andxwhere he requires and expects their own loyalty to the same to take members of the forces.

"Coincidence" seems a bit weak.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    I think there's a fascinating "coincidence" that this letter, from the present Chair of the Joint Chiefs suddenly was priorized for a book preview release immediately prior to the Mar a Lago search warrant was executed.

There's little which has more ability to roil the trumpist militia types, or prompt calls for civil war - it's all over the forums where such folks hang out. Milley's stale letter reads rather differently, like it's fresh and new, when one considers that threat. And the degree of Trumpist sentiment within the serving and recently retired military. Yhe top General is saying in no uncertain terms where his loyalty to the Constitution takes him, andxwhere he requires and expects their own loyalty to the same to take members of the forces.

"Coincidence" seems a bit weak.
    The sequence of events does seem a bit curious.

I have often wondered why Milley stayed in the position - or was allowed to by T****. That said, I think by staying he did protect and defend the Constitution from enemies foreign and domestic and likely prevented further damage.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    The sequence of events does seem a bit curious.

I have often wondered why Milley stayed in the position - or was allowed to by T****. That said, I think by staying he did protect and defend the Constitution from enemies foreign and domestic and likely prevented further damage.
    This story in the New Yorker by Susan Glasser and Peter Baker goes into that question in remarkable depth. It's an excerpt from a book they're writing, but which they released now, before the book comes out. The Milley bit is most of the 2nd half of that very long article.

They report that after Lafayette Square, Milley wrote that stunning resignation letter, and put it in his desk. He consulted with a bunch of people about whether he should submit it - and Robert Gates (former Defense Sec) in particular advised him not to. Gates told Milley "you can only fire that gun once," and that rather than resign (which would be a story over within a week), instead to work from inside and represent principles of rule of law, constitutionality, etc. And force Trump to fire him, if he wanted his way.

Milley ultimately decided to do that - and to work to get solidarity among the other Joint Chiefs that they'd all resign collectively, if ever Trump tried to force the military to intervene on his behalf to stay in power.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Milley was walking alongside Trump at the Lafayette Square event. At the time, I lost all respect for the man. Now I guess we can see into his thinking. I bet he wasn't happy to be there and felt ashamed.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    Milley was walking alongside Trump at the Lafayette Square event. At the time, I lost all respect for the man. Now I guess we can see into his thinking. I bet he wasn't happy to be there and felt ashamed.
    According to Glasser's article, he was mortified, and considered it an enormous failure on his part. Milley had realized as they walked out the door that he was being used, and actually peeled off from the group before crossing the street - but his picture had already been taken. He wrote that resignation letter on June 8, shortly after Lafayette.

Adam Schiff apparently advocated on Milley's behalf with Pelosi and a few others, who felt the same disgust and distrust that you (and I) did after seeing those pictures - they deeply distrusted him around Jan6, largely because of this.

This article really casts Milley into a new light. He looks like the classic American general who wants nothing to do with politics.

It puts people like Flynn into an even more disturbing and disgusting light.

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    I think there's a fascinating "coincidence" that this letter, from the present Chair of the Joint Chiefs suddenly was priorized for a book preview release immediately prior to the Mar a Lago search warrant was executed. .
    And in another "coincidence" recall the letter by ten former secretaries of defense on Jan 3, 2021 declaring that the election was over and the results should be accepted.

https://www.npr.org/2021/01/04/95311...ection-dispute

It is totally obvious by now that Drumph was attempting to use the military to stay in office by force.

We can't, can't, can't let Drumph go unpunished.

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    This article really casts Milley into a new light. He looks like the classic American general who wants nothing to do with politics.

It puts people like Flynn into an even more disturbing and disgusting light.
    Flynn needs no comparison to be seen in a disturbing and disgusting light. The man should be serving a prison sentence.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

The proper term for what the Drumph attempted is . .

autogolpe. USAeans best learn it.

"A self-coup, also called autocoup, is a form of coup d'ťtat in which a nation's leader, having come to power through legal means, tries to stay in power through illegal means." Wikipedia

and at least a third of GOPPERS are in favor of it. Amazing

It still amazes me that the party of National Defense! and all that claptrap was ok with TFG and his undermining of institutions tasked with law, order and national security. Somehow the game show host who knew more about everything than anybody was going to do it all. Except for his son-in-law who was going to do what no SecState had ever done.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    It still amazes me that the party of National Defense! and all that claptrap was ok with TFG and his undermining of institutions tasked with law, order and national security..
    We were really fortunate that he was and is so incompetent

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    It still amazes me that the party of National Defense! and all that claptrap was ok with TFG and his undermining of institutions tasked with law, order and national security. Somehow the game show host who knew more about everything than anybody was going to do it all. Except for his son-in-law who was going to do what no SecState had ever done.
    There's no end to the amazements until one accepts that one is dealing with tribalists. They're only pretending to be rational, so as to gain power. Fundamentally, they're anti-rational.

Like the wokers.
    I'm not leaving.

-- Mike Pence