Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567 ... LastLast

Thread: Mar a Largo

Default Re: Mar a Largo

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    I like the memes and Twitter comments suggesting it's Melania. Or Dark Baron.

Prompted by the realization that he wants to bury them in shallow graves on a New Jersey golf course.
    He'd never do that. They're key components of his beard.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Trump attorney Christina Bobb:

“I don’t think that there was actually anything there that was worthwhile,” Christina Bobb said, hours after the search. “We’ll see what they come up with. If they did, it will be interesting [...] especially because they precluded me from actually watching what they did.” She continued, “But at this point, I don’t necessarily think they would actually go to the extent of trying to plant information. I think they would just make stuff up and come up with whatever they want.”

Oh Christina, but some people are saying…

it is wonderful, donald and his cultists demonizing the fbi. considering that the fbi is crammed with natural republicans, and surely at least a strong minority, if not an actual majority, of actual trumpsters.

the comey letter regarding hillary's emails may have actually handed trump the presidency, and was itself surely a ploy by comey to curry favor in his own agency, packed with "never hillarys".

a wedge driven between the fbi and the trump cult is just what we need.

this is the trumpists "defund the police" moment. the lack of subtlety is grievously counterproductive. we can be thankful that their thinking is not more nuanced.

100% agree, Lee. It's astonishing to see the Trumpists alienating a natural Republican constituency.

But please, don't let me interrupt anything...
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

I'll put this here. Wasn't sure if it better belonged on the "Trump is toast" thread or not, but here it is:

FZ0xz6LUIAEp0Wh.jpg
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

I'm sure the FBI is 'torn' -

on the one hand, trumpers, and RWW's.

On the other - that pesky commitment to the Constitution.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

the productive thing for them would be to call on the "true patriots" in the fbi to revolt against the "deep state" control of their agency, etcetera.

instead we get a trump attorney insinuating that the fbi, as an agency, would fabricate evidence against donald. astonishing stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    the productive thing for them would be to call on the "true patriots" in the fbi to revolt against the "deep state" control of their agency, etcetera.

instead we get a trump attorney insinuating that the fbi, as an agency, would fabricate evidence against donald. astonishing stupidity.
    Even though two of T****'s attorneys were present when the FBI was there...

Neither one has made any claims of wrong-doing by the FBI and as officers of the court, they would be required to do so, no?
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Canoez
    I'll put this here. Wasn't sure if it better belonged on the "Trump is toast" thread or not, but here it is:

FZ0xz6LUIAEp0Wh.jpg
    Well said.
    "I'll tell you why [religion's] not a scam. In my opinion, all right? Tide goes in, tide goes out. Never a miscommunication. You can't explain that."Bill O'Reilly

And right on cue ...

Imagine. High ranking Republicans accusing the FBI of planting evidence, politicization etc. being amplified for a couple of days now by RW media sources, and it's turned into stochastic terrorism. Who'd have predicted?

tw.jpg
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

It's neither a precedent nor a slippery slope. The media needs to pull their heads out. "You know, one thing we've learned from the Trump era is that we mustn't allow ourselves to be the clueless spreaders of his lies." Oops!

They and their media baby bros in the DOJ need to STFU. "It was a failure because as low key as we could make it, there was still a heated reaction!" Like, searching Al Capone's house would be unprecedented, and would provoke a heated reaction.

P licking, pandering opinion shapers. Gutless pukes. The ones who call Jimmy Carter "President Carter" and Donald Trump "President Trump" because they've never thought about it. Gutless pukes.
    I'm not leaving.

-- Mike Pence

Extreme right wing blogs and media are now calling for a "civil war" due to the "attack" on Mar-a-Lago. Guns+nuts+lies=chaos. I will be working a DFL (Democratic-Farmer-Labor) party info booth at the county fair tonight and am wondering if my 12 gauge woud be an appropriate fashion accessory.

yes. I believe it would.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    Trump attorney Christina Bobb:

“I don’t think that there was actually anything there that was worthwhile,” Christina Bobb said, hours after the search. “We’ll see what they come up with. If they did, it will be interesting [...] especially because they precluded me from actually watching what they did.” She continued, “But at this point, I don’t necessarily think they would actually go to the extent of trying to plant information. I think they would just make stuff up and come up with whatever they want.”

Oh Christina, but some people are saying…
    Hate to imagine she's a complete idiot.. and as there were other lawyers present, she has to know the search was for specific (& afaik, found) items.. so she's 'chumming for fis.. er, magats'.

it is wonderful, donald and his cultists demonizing the fbi. considering that the fbi is crammed with natural republicans, and surely at least a strong minority, if not an actual majority, of actual trumpsters.

the comey letter regarding hillary's emails may have actually handed trump the presidency, and was itself surely a ploy by comey to curry favor in his own agency, packed with "never hillarys".

a wedge driven between the fbi and the trump cult is just what we need.

this is the trumpists "defund the police" moment. the lack of subtlety is grievously counterproductive. we can be thankful that their thinking is not more nuanced.
    re: Comey, a Dominionist who once (at that time, in fact) tweeted under the name of an xtian 'philosopher' (who felt.. well, you can read up as well as I) who Obama also admired btw, was also the man who railroaded Martha Stewart (while mostly ignoring the men also caught up in the insider trading scandal of the day) ultimately only finding her guilty of not helping him find her guilty.. but xtian misogynist, he was.. and concerning HRC, a woman (_that_ woman, as Reps called her) was not going to be President (over men) if he could help it.

imho.. can't prove it of course, but the facts fit that better than anything else.

but yes, the FBI stinks with Republicans.

so to be clear, and to all those who are arguing that it was overreach for the FBI to execute a search warrant on Aug 8 ... that they ought to have used a subpoena process instead ...

There was a subpoena. A GRAND JURY subpoena, last June. The GRAND JURY subpoena apparently wasn't fully complied with, even though FBI representatives traveled to Mar a Lago in June, reviewed at least some of the materials, and indicated that until they were returned, documents they were shown (and hence knew existed) needed to be better secured. But it would appear that the FBI agents in June were probably attempting to help facilitate compliance with the GRAND JURY subpoena.

And when compliance didn't occur - i.e. boxes of documents were still there in August - they used the search warrant execution as a Plan B.

BTW, a grand jury subpoena implies that there's a criminal investigation going on. And that the materials they wanted were potentially evidence in that criminal investigation, not merely the National Archives wanting a few stray newspaper clippings and Kim Jong Un love notes returned.

Not complying with the grand jury subpoena suggests exposure to contempt charges.

Besides, as various commentators have said, a subpoena is a fairly polite way of asking for the person to share THEIR documents, things that THEY legally own. But this is not the situation here - the documents etc. being retrieved are the property of the Government of the United States. It was illegal to remove them in the first place, without formal processes which would e.g. ensure copies were retained with the Archives, and that the materials were being requested so they'd go to something like a Presidential Library.

Search and seizure is how recovery of stolen property is often done, among mere mortals. If a mid-level White House staffer had walked out with 3-4 computers, or a set of White House china, or bits of historic furniture ... they wouldn't be recovered by a subpoena process. Especially if the first requests to return the items had been stonewalled for 18 months.

Oh stop making sense!!!
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

He was planning on selling that paperwork to the highest bidder, Putin or China

I have been seeing a lot of scuttlebutt on Twitter positing on what the documents that were taken involved. Considering the sensitivity of some of the documents, they were national-security related. Did they disclose T**** misdeeds? Did they disclose information on T****'s communications and/or meetings with foreign leaders? (Putin? Saudis? etc?) Were they for his own protection? Were they to keep power, make money, or otherwise influence others?

The thought that the American people will likely never know what those documents contain, due to the classification of the documents preventing even a broad overview about what they contained will fuel divisive conversation for years to come.

Even worse, IMHO, is the thought that the Justice department presses charges on these documents. To hear the case, it will likely need to be held in a closed courtroom with redacted or simply embargoed documentation to protect the secrecy of the documents about which the trial is being held. Were he to be convicted, you will here cries of foul from his supporters about the "star court" or "kangaroo court" that convicted him and that it couldn't have been a fair trial.
    -William A. Ward

"BREAKING: Attorney General Merrick Garland will make a statement at 2:30 PM ET today"

Time for popcorn?
    -William A. Ward

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    And right on cue ...

Imagine. High ranking Republicans accusing the FBI of planting evidence, politicization etc. being amplified for a couple of days now by RW media sources, and it's turned into stochastic terrorism. Who'd have predicted?

tw.jpg
    My sources in Cincinnati (this is all out in the northern 'burbs actually: Blue Ash and Sycamore Township) tell me that the nutter was armed with a nail gun and a AR-15. He shot up the lobby of the FBI field office with the nail gun and took off.

With him hold up in a corn field, I suggest they fire up the combine and combine his sorry ar$e.

You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

I wonder if Attorney General Merrick Garland is annoyed at getting cheated out of the Supreme Court.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin T View Post
    To all of those in the punditry class I think they are doing a great disservice to the American legal system when they refer to the legally executed search by bench issued warrant as a "RAID".

I'm under no illusion that the intent is nothing more than an effort (one that is sadly succeeding) to obscure the issue and color the perception favorably in Fraudo Baggins direction. The rule of law is on ever increasing shaky ground and ultimately will accrue to our collective detriment.
    '

Yep. Also by referring to it as a matter of "mishandling documents". Like robbing the 7-11 and putting the money in your pockets was a matter of "mishandling documents".

The documents are not his. They are property of the United States government. His taking and keeping them is theft.

Media pukes. He was nearly out of office before they could bring themselves to call him a liar or an authoritarian. Now they can't call him a thief, even as they say they can't imagine of the "purpose" of the warrant, which is stated on its face: to search for and seize evidence of crime.
    Last edited by Osborne Russell; 08-11-2022 at 01:11 PM.
    I'm not leaving.

-- Mike Pence

Quote Originally Posted by Osborne Russell View Post
    '

Yep. Also by referring to it as a matter of "mishandling documents". Like robbing the 7-11 and putting the money in your pockets was a matter of "mishandling documents".

The documents are not his. They are property of the United States government. His taking and keeping them is theft.

Media pukes. He was nearly out of office before they could bring themselves to call him a liar or an authoritarian. Now they can't call him a thief, even as they say they can't imagine of the "purpose" of the warrant, which is stated on its face: to search for and seize evidence of crime.
    His clearance — such as it was — and need to know ended at 1200 January 20th, 2021 when his term of office expired.

Not only theft, but espionage.

18 USC 793

(d) Whoever, lawfully having possession of, access to, control over, or being entrusted with any document, writing, code book, signal book, sketch, photograph, photographic negative, blueprint, plan, map, model, instrument, appliance, or note relating to the national defense, or information relating to the national defense which information the possessor has reason to believe could be used to the injury of the United States or to the advantage of any foreign nation, . . . willfully retains the same and fails to deliver it on demand to the officer or employee of the United States entitled to receive it; or
    . . .
    (f) Whoever, being entrusted with or having lawful possession or control of any document, writing, code book, signal book, sketch, photograph, photographic negative, blueprint, plan, map, model, instrument, appliance, note, or information, relating to the national defense,

(1) through gross negligence permits the same to be removed from its proper place of custody or delivered to anyone in violation of his trust, or to be lost, stolen, abstracted, or destroyed, or

(2) having knowledge that the same has been illegally removed from its proper place of custody or delivered to anyone in violation of its trust, or lost, or stolen, abstracted, or destroyed, and fails to make prompt report of such loss, theft, abstraction, or destruction to his superior officer—

Shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both.
    18 USC 641

Whoever embezzles, steals, purloins, or knowingly converts to his use or the use of another, or without authority, sells, conveys or disposes of any record, voucher, money, or thing of value of the United States or of any department or agency thereof, or any property made or being made under contract for the United States or any department or agency thereof; or

Whoever receives, conceals, or retains the same with intent to convert it to his use or gain, knowing it to have been embezzled, stolen, purloined or converted—

Shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both.
    18 USC 1924

(a) Whoever, being an officer, employee, contractor, or consultant of the United States, and, by virtue of his office, employment, position, or contract, becomes possessed of documents or materials containing classified information of the United States, knowingly removes such documents or materials without authority and with the intent to retain such documents or materials at an unauthorized location shall be fined under this title or imprisoned for not more than five years, or both.
    . . .
    (c) In this section, the term "classified information of the United States" means information originated, owned, or possessed by the United States Government concerning the national defense or foreign relations of the United States that has been determined pursuant to law or Executive order to require protection against unauthorized disclosure in the interests of national security.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Eric's boneheaded wife is on Fox carping about how the FBI took boxes of mementos, news clippings and photos that TFG had collected during his time in office and how is that a crime?

Just shows - they were meant for each other.

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Attorney General Merrick Garland announced Thursday that the Department of Justice filed a motion to unseal a search warrant and property receipt relating to the search of former President Donald Trump's Mar-a-Lago property.

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-ne...d-doj-remarks/

Merrick Garland has called Trump's and MAGA world's bluff:

CNN analyst explains what we could see in unsealed documents related to the Trump Mar-a-Lago search

Attorney General Merrick Garland announced Thursday that the Department of Justice filed a motion to unseal a search warrant and property receipt relating to the search of former President Donald Trump's Mar-a-Lago property.

CNN's legal analyst Elie Honig described the announcement as a "remarkable and unusual move" because "we essentially saw Merrick Garland call Donald Trump's bluff."

In the wake of this search warrant, Trump and his lawyers have two documents, Honig explained on CNN following Garland's remarks. "One is the search warrant itself with whatever attachments. And the other is this inventory or this receipt."

These documents have important information about the search. Usually, the Justice Department's policy is to only speak about things that are on the record with the court. But with this move, Garland is hoping to put these documents in front of Americans, Honig said.

The warrant typically will list logistical information: place to be searched, a general description of items to be searched for, the name of the judge, a deadline by which the DOJ has to execute the search.

But it also sometimes has an attachment, which typically will list the laws that the DOJ has probable cause to believe were violated.

The second document is the inventory or the receipt.

"It's a listing. The FBI says, 'here are the items that were removed from Mar-a-Lago.' Again, degrees of specificity and generality tend to vary. I do not expect that to have a piece of paper by piece of paper breakdown if they took thousands of pages," Honig explains. "I think what we're going to see is listings like X number of boxes. If they took any electronic documents, if they took any laptops, cell phones, that kind of thing."

However, Honig notes that we will not see the affidavit, which is the most detailed document, that can be 20 to 100 pages where prosecutors lay out details that give them probable cause to believe laws were violated.

That document will remain confidential, and typically, that is released if and when there is a charge, Honig explains.

"If somebody gets searched and then indicted, then they will be given a copy of that affidavit ... so that that person can then challenge it in court," he said.

Last edited by Tom Montgomery; 08-11-2022 at 03:02 PM.
    "I'll tell you why [religion's] not a scam. In my opinion, all right? Tide goes in, tide goes out. Never a miscommunication. You can't explain that."Bill O'Reilly

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy W View Post

Garland takes the heat off himself and punts it to the DoJ. Supposedly we'll see something in a week or two unless Trump is able to object.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

Awesome. Garland's brief remarks this afternoon, https://www.c-span.org/video/?522316...unseal-warrant, are also spot on.

God, I hope there's plenty of evidence sloshing about in some of the documents, cellphones recently retrieved, etc etc to give a righteous smack in the teeth to some of those who've been hollering the loudest recently.

Note, not even remotely wishing for someone to bend or twist or otherwise contort the law to punish someone for being a seditious @sshole, but merely to apply the law honestly where it fits.

United States Attorney General Merrick Garland begins his remarks at the 24:32 mark:

The judge overseeing Garland's motion to unseal the Mar a Lago documents apparently doesn't want to give Trump's side until August 25 to hum and haw and plaster the internet with lies.

He's issued an order to the DoJ to immediately serve Trump with the motion to unseal, to confer, and to tell him by 3:00 tomorrow if Trump's side is choosing to oppose the motion to put this information out into the public sphere.

tw.jpg

Trump will oppose the unsealing of the search warrant, of course. My guess is it is damning.