Thread: Trump and Hitler's generals

Default Trump and Hitler's generals

From The New York Times:

Trump Asked Aide Why His Generals Couldn’t Be Like Hitler’s, Book Says

WASHINGTON — Former President Donald J. Trump told his top White House aide that he wished he had generals like the ones who had reported to Adolf Hitler, saying they were “totally loyal” to the leader of the Nazi regime, according to a forthcoming book about the 45th president.

“Why can’t you be like the German generals?” Mr. Trump told John Kelly, his chief of staff, preceding the question with an obscenity, according to an excerpt from “The Divider: Trump in the White House,” by Peter Baker and Susan Glasser, published online by The New Yorker on Monday morning. (Mr. Baker is the chief White House correspondent for The New York Times; Ms. Glasser is a staff writer for The New Yorker.)

The excerpt depicts Mr. Trump as deeply frustrated by his top military officials, whom he saw as insufficiently loyal or obedient to him. In the conversation with Mr. Kelly, which took place years before the attack on the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, the authors write, the chief of staff told Mr. Trump that Germany’s generals had “tried to kill Hitler three times and almost pulled it off.”

Mr. Trump was dismissive, according to the excerpt, apparently unaware of the World War II history that Mr. Kelly, a retired four-star general, knew all too well.

“‘No, no, no, they were totally loyal to him,’ the president replied,” according to the book’s authors. “In his version of history, the generals of the Third Reich had been completely subservient to Hitler; this was the model he wanted for his military. Kelly told Trump that there were no such American generals, but the president was determined to test the proposition.”

Much of the excerpt focuses on Gen. Mark A. Milley, who served as chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, the country’s top military official, under Mr. Trump. When the president offered him the job, General Milley told him, “I’ll do whatever you ask me to do.” But he quickly soured on the president.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Default Re: Trump and Hitler's generals

He also thought the Prince of Wales was the Prince of Whales...

Has every institution of education he ever attended rescinded their diploma/degree/whatever? If not, why not?
    "Visionary" is he who in every egg sees a carbonara.

The ignorant pigs in various armed militia groups very likely admire that about their fellow ignorant pig named Trump. If body mass index means anything, Trump may have a thing about whales, eh?

Has he not heard about that pesky briefcase bomb?
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

"He's a f***ng Moron." -Rex Tillerson-

My next door neighbour was Erwald Von Kleist, he knew a bit about this...

Maybe he saw one of the Downfall parodies.
    Steve Martinsen

Sheesh guys. You see his iggerence as a problem. Remember that his supporters see it as not just a feature, but one of the best things about him. "He may be rich, but he's still one of us!".
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Maybe the Von Stauffenberg group will have better luck this time.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Does make one wonder.
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

Hitlers generals made the mistake of not deposing or killing the Führer.
    At the Neurenberg trials most of the Army and SS generals were sentenced to death.
    We may wonder what behavior the US generals should have shown during skidmarks reign, perhaps that history will judge later.

The German generals in second world war were tied to Hitler by oath. At least for some, it became a moral dilemma - either do what is right and break their oath or continue doing what is wrong and keep their oath. Add to this that many were career officers who did not know another trade and many came from families with a career officer background. One of the more famous ones who eventually got caught in the dilemma was Rommel.

I guess in the US, the officers are tied to the constitution by oath - if someone wanted to replace that with an oath that ties them to a person, that would be an alarming sign.
    Last edited by Henning 4148; 08-09-2022 at 12:45 PM.

That's what the former guy attempted, of course. Famously, with FBI directors. And Attorney Generals.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Who would have thought that it was Trump himself that would prove Godwin's Law?

Interestingly, Hitler complained that his generals were not as compliant as Stalin's. I read that either in a Liddell Hart book or one by John Keegan.
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Every Republican is an obstacle to progress.

How much programming does it take for a guy to start expressing wishes to be more like Hitler?

I mean, any sane person has to check themselves at that point, right?
    "Visionary" is he who in every egg sees a carbonara.

Of course you're not just thinking about Trump here, right? Almost half of the US electorate endorse Trump's whims, which would include that of admiring Hitler. The USA is toast; we are getting what we deserve for decades OF TRUMPeting "the greatest country on earth" with no thought concerning the basis for that hubris claim.

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    How much programming does it take for a guy to start expressing wishes to be more like Hitler?

Hitler had compliant generals because he had years before to promote only weak-willed or loyal ones. He then purged many of the rest.

Give Trump enough years and he could have that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post

Putin?

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Scheuer View Post
    The USA is toast; we are getting what we deserve for decades OF TRUMPeting "the greatest country on earth" with no thought concerning the basis for that hubris claim.
    The hubris is embarrassing, but it's the lies that are hurting us. If it were not for the obscene harm they have done, I'd almost have to admire how effective Limbaugh, Fox News, and the other propagandists have been at dividing this country. They have a third of the voters casting votes against their best interest because they are afraid that someone else will get more and they have convinced those same voters that any other news source lies to them. They have been staggeringly effective.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...arison-satire/

WASHINGTON — At time of writing, one entire major political party was still unsure whether a man who compared himself to Hitler, but in a wistful, “if-only” sort of way, ought to be its standard-bearer. The alternative being considered was literally anyone else.