Thread: Cedar shingles

Default Cedar shingles

Hey, does anyone know of a place to get reasonably priced cedar shingles (for siding) in New England?
    If he ever drinks the brew of 10 tanna leaves, he will become a monster the likes of which the world has never seen

Default Re: Cedar shingles

Last time I bought a bundle, they were quite serious about me not calling them shingles. It was a big bundle of shims. Apparently, cedar shingles are not legal to sell here?

I am just guessing that you might have some luck on the Cape. They use a lot of them for siding down there.
    "Wherever there is a channel for water, there is a road for the canoe. " - Thoreau

Any reputable lumberyard in New England should have them in stock or can get them.
    At least that was the case 12 years ago before I retired.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

They use plenty in Maine and lots of New Hampshire too. I can't imagine you can't buy them from Lowe's and Home Despot, if not from just about any local lumber yard.

Reasonably priced? That's another issue entirely.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

I’ve a friend who lives on Texada Island, B. C. He salvaged a large WRC log on a beach, bucked it up and split all his own shingles to side his entire house. (I realize that is no help to you. )

If you are planning to reside rather than repair, I would consider some of the synthetic products. They last a lot longer.

Also, I can tell you from experience that there is a minimum pitch for a roof if you use cedar shingles. We bought a new house and it needed a new roof in just 15 years.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

I remember the house fires of my yut. They were magnificent.

I love cedar shakes & shingles. Used to help my older brother bust them out (piecework) when I was barely big enough to handle a mallet & froe. Sided or repaired a few houses with them. Our cabin on Puget Sound had a shake roof that we cut on site.

BUT - if your region is setting up to become a wildfire danger zone as climate change progresses... I'd seriously consider another product. Even cedar lap siding is less flammable, as I understand it. I really think cement siding (HardiePlank, etc.) is a dead-end material - and will eventually fall out of use - but the one thing it can say is that it is not flammable.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    I’ve a friend who lives on Texada Island, B. C. He salvaged a large WRC log on a beach, bucked it up and split all his own shingles to side his entire house. (I realize that is no help to you. )
    I made the shakes for the roof of my first house of an old wrc log that was left on the property from decades earlier. Used a broken machete and two firewood wedges, didn’t even know what a froe was. Roof cost twelve bux and lasted 25 years.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

I would not even consider using shingles or shakes for anything these days. It’s nothing but a brag, a sign of vanity and wealth . Or a New England code that requires the silly things

Here's a guy in Abbottsford, BC, milling Alaskan Yellow Cedar shakes at CAD $100/bundle.

Maybe he'd ship?

https://abbotsford.craigslist.org/ma...518368621.html

Used to be a mill over on the Olympic Peninsula near Forks that had a similar righteous price on WRC #1 shakes. Can't find him though.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey View Post

Used to be a mill over on the Olympic Peninsula near Forks that had a similar righteous price on WRC #1 shakes. Can't find him though.
    Hoko Falls Cedar?

I shingled a couple of my homes, and also a few fences and found it a very pleasant and calming experience. Today I'd probably go with a composite product in lieu of cedar for cost and consistency, certainly not for looks.

My dad, my brothers and I pulled a lot of cedar off the beaches in the 1970s. Dad split a ton of shakes, enough to side their retirement house, and put on a lot of roofs. A few years ago, my brother had to have a cedar taken down at his suburban house. Had them cut it into bolts, which he split. The shakes sided my back yard shed. I grew up with a froe in one hand and a hardwood bowling pin in the other, the best and most durable mallet. This photo is from when we were still making mallets from a chunk of fir...

dad splitting shakes.jpg
    What's not on a boat costs nothing, weighs nothing, and can't break

One of the late 19th C homestead sites near the Queets river was still intact, more or less, when I visited in 1994.

The shakes were more than a foot long.

ELF ©shingles.jpg

ELF ©homestead from rear.jpg

When I returned in 2017, things had begun to seriously collapse at that site.

ELF ©_MG_60D1006546.jpg

ELF ©_MG_60D1006540.jpg

The last remnants of the horse barn collapsed into the earth 3 years ago.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    Last time I bought a bundle, they were quite serious about me not calling them shingles. It was a big bundle of shims. Apparently, cedar shingles are not legal to sell here?
    Tom, I bought a home in Houston, TX back in 1982, it had a tall cedar shingled roof, and some years later, I had occasion to fix the corner shingles - when I went back to visit in the early 2000's , the house had been reshingled with standard shingled product. ( Early in our residence in Texas, a neighbor had a chimney fire - those shingles went up in flames in a heartbeat ) It is possible there may be a building code against them, now . . . .
    Charter Member - - Professional Procrastinators Association of America - - putting things off since 1965 " I'll get around to it tomorrow, .... maybe "

My house and shed are sided with eastern white cedar shingles. I did the shed and bought the shingles at Home Depot in about 2004. They still look new except on the sunny side where the stain has faded. The shingles on the house are pretty good after 30 years. Of the 9 houses on our road 7 are cedar shingled. It is a Maine coast thing.

Try Hammond Lumber in Maine, pretty big regional lumber yard. They will be close to the market price. Second or third clear for sidewalls, depending on how upscale yo want.

Kind of funny that all of the reply are from the west coast, when he is asking about New England. Apples and oranges.

Most Eastern white cedar shingles are imported from Quebec, if you want to get closer to the source.
    Steve Martinsen

Unfortunately we’re in the middle of a major shortage of white cedar shingles right now. Seems like No lumberyards near Boston have any at the moment. I’m being told “maybe October” by one of them.

Aspen has been used for shingle for centuries in Europe and in some place of the USA and Canada as well . Interesting that it lasts about 20 years on roofs in NE Alberta , for siding it should last longer .

https://web.archive.org/web/20180826.../aspen-shingle

Quote Originally Posted by Three Cedars View Post
    Aspen has been used for shingle for centuries in Europe and in some place of the USA and Canada as well . Interesting that it lasts about 20 years on roofs in NE Alberta , for siding it should last longer .

https://web.archive.org/web/20180826.../aspen-shingle
    Not suitable for the 'temperate rainforest' climate of the NW, nor the humidity of the NE. But I've heard of shingles from a variety of local 'non-durable' species working just fine in friendly locales. Ponderosa pine and silver fir, for example.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Redwood makes pretty good shakes, I had a barn with 36" shakes on the roof.
    Around here it used to be as part of the deal to log farmers property they would leave behind large diameter rounds for the farmer to split fence posts and shakes from. They are an acquired taste, but lovely indeed.

see: http://www.cedarshakeandshingle.com/redwood.asp

I shingled the South side gable end of our house this past spring and lumberyards here told me there were supply issues. But they did have enough for my project.

[QUOTE=David G;6709691]Not suitable for the 'temperate rainforest' climate of the NW, nor the humidity of the NE. But I've heard of shingles from a variety of local 'non-durable' species working just fine in friendly locales. Ponderosa pine and silver fir, for example.[/QUO

Aspen seems an unlikely choice for roof shingles in any climate but being split/sawn thin ( 1/4" ) , anyhow it has a proven track record in Scandinavia along with pine and spruce. Aspen is preferred in Latvia before pine , would be interesting to compare the climate to Maine. Local yokels use what works , no one is going to shingle a roof with something that lasts only a few years .

We had western red cedar shakes on our 5/12 roof they lasted 27 years on the BC coast we had dressed 2 x 4 for strapping under the shakes so good air space , I would prefer a 6/12 but it might not matter much ... easier to slide off the roof though

Redwood has a higher resistance to fire than cedar, if that's a concern.

There are quite a few spray or brush-on fire retardants available for treating exposed wood.