Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Karen, Your Entitlement Is Showing

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    People outraged by intolerance delight in waving raw meat in front of people who choose not to eat meat because it is cruel and wrecking the planet. None of us like intolerance but hypocrisy is no less deplorable. When did an arms race ever actually solve anything?

In this instance, people would be "delight[ing] in waving raw meat in front of people who choose not to eat meat...", because those people are being d*cks about it, trying to cram their preferences down the craws of others.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Default Re: Karen, Your Entitlement Is Showing

Every vegan I know are respectful of other’s choices. It didn’t happen. It’s a troll.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

Default Karen, Your Entitlement Is Showing

According to KTVU (Fox) San Francisco, it originated with a Berkeley Karen, posting on the app NextDoor and reposted to Twitter by an account @BestOfNextDoor that aggregates silly things people say on NextDoor.

It is Fox, so. . .

https://www.ktvu.com/news/vegan-runn...offensive-odor

The original post:

Last edited by Nicholas Carey; 08-08-2022 at 09:36 AM.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    1830 is 1830. There is no PM. Anyone with a military background would know that. Roughly analogous to “knots per hour”. Always hated hearing that.
    But maybe not a spouse? Just a thought. I've seen it often enough. But on second thought, they probably left the "p.m." in to make the post look even more stupid. Which points toward this being anti-vegan satire, not real. A false flag operation...

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

Obviously a fake. A vegan so sensitive would never use a double steak emoji. The very sight of it would be too distressing.

The one in #38 is halfway plausible, in Berkley, anyway. I'd bet the original is a parody.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

" To the privileged, equality seems like opression".
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Every Republican is an obstacle to progress.

I have no problem with Veganism, just don’t appreciate the ones who think they are morally superior to meat eaters. (FYI: I agree there are lots of great reasons to limit the intake of certain types of meat). My question for these annoying types of Vegans is this: if you don’t eat meat because you love animals, why do you hate plants so much?

My wife an I stayed at an upstate NY bed and breakfast. While checking in another couple was also there. They were explaining to the inn keeper that they were vegan and then wondered what could their breakfasts be.
    To which the innkeeper said: "I guess you don't want bacon, then."
    The vegans replied: "Oh we'll take bacon. I said we were vegan, not crazy".

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphie Boy View Post
    I have no problem with Veganism, just don’t appreciate the ones who think they are morally superior to meat eaters.
    Except, they pretty much are morally superior to meat eaters, given the state of the world and the typical methods of meat production...

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    Except, they pretty much are morally superior to meat eaters, given the state of the world and the typical methods of meat production...

Tom
    are people who don't have children morally superior to people who do?

are people who don't have dogs or cats morally superior to people who do?

whatabout a goldfish. can i keep a goldfish, morally speaking.

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    I'll abstain on that one. An argument could be made that having children who will live a U.S. lifestyle is irresponsible for ecological reasons, and that someone who doesn't have children is therefore morally superior. I've heard that argument--but I won't defend it.

Why would you think so? Do you think domesticated dogs and cats are unhappier than feral dogs and cats somehow?

But whatevs. If you can't understand the logic of why a vegan diet is morally superior to a meat diet, you're not going to let me of all people convince you.

I had a burger for supper. And cheese. And some pickled horseradish (oddly good). And a beer. I make no claims to moral superiority on my own behalf.

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Z View Post
    are people who don't have children morally superior to people who do? Yes

are people who don't have dogs or cats morally superior to people who do? Yes

whatabout a goldfish. can i keep a goldfish, morally speaking. Yes, if you're keeping it for food, and only if you swallow it whole, so I don't have to smell it cooking.

Hey, if Baxter can keep a goldfish for food, why can't I keep a dog or cat for sausages? Life is so unfair.

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    I'll abstain on that one. An argument could be made that having children who will live a U.S. lifestyle is irresponsible for ecological reasons, and that someone who doesn't have children is therefore morally superior. I've heard that argument--but I won't defend it.

Why would you think so? Do you think domesticated dogs and cats are unhappier than feral dogs and cats somehow?

But whatevs. If you can't understand the logic of why a vegan diet is morally superior to a meat diet, you're not going to let me of all people convince you.

I had a burger for supper. And cheese. And some pickled horseradish (oddly good). And a beer. I make no claims to moral superiority on my own behalf.

Tom
    oh, but i do understand the logic. which is why i ask my questions. because by the same logic, people with no kids, and no dogs or cats, are morally superior to those who have, or keep same.

i am wary of applying moral standards to otherwise natural and sociable actions that have a nebulous or indeterminate effect on "the planet".

the seven deadly sins covers it better. don't be a glutton. etcetera.

Exactly, LW. Is it immoral to have a private vehicle? We all know how much those pollute.
    How about flying on an airplane to see loved ones? Is someone who never flies morally superior? This idiotic virtue signaling is turning off average Americans to liberal causes.

Quote Originally Posted by RichW View Post
    My wife an I stayed at an upstate NY bed and breakfast. While checking in another couple was also there. They were explaining to the inn keeper that they were vegan and then wondered what could their breakfasts be.
    To which the innkeeper said: "I guess you don't want bacon, then."
    The vegans replied: "Oh we'll take bacon. I said we were vegan, not crazy".

I used to know several people who self-identified as ovo-lacto-bacon vegetarians.

If they want their neighbours to be like them in this regard then they need to find a vegan community, like a strata or gated community with association rules that enforce veganism as a requisite for living there.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

How morally superior would it be to have enough trees on your property to more than off set your family's carbon dioxide production?

The thing about having no children is that, although it is morally superior, it does not preclude having children. One need not give birth to have children, in fact the person who declines to give birth and who takes in children already born whose birth families did not want them is way morally superior to the ones who simply declined to add to the human population from their own gene pool.

Speaking as a human who did not want to give birth, and also did not want to involve herself with raising children, I regard myself as a whole lot less superior than a friend of mine who adopted a child born with fetal alcohol syndrome which has never emerged from the damage, and continues to this day to provide for that child (now mid-30s) and work at incorporating that child into the family life as much as it can manage.

If it's morally superiority you want to argue about, there is a hierarchy that needs to be addressed here!

As for house pets, obviously it's morally superior to keep and care for one or more, as long as one also works to constrain the growth of the cat or dog population.

It's only humans who can choose to not multiply.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

whatabout a goldfish. can i keep a goldfish, morally speaking.
    imma have a go at this…..
    - no, and yes….I’d say that the people who know they have the capabilities to raise well adjusted kids who have kids, and those who know they don’t, and don’t have kids, are of equal standing.
    -yes, mostly….dogs are social animals and need family. Adopting a dog is like adopting a kid. Buying a dog from a puppy mill…not so much. Cats are individuals. Some are social some aren’t. But they mostly sort that out for themselves, if given the chance to leave.
    -no. Set it free and see if it returns. Trust me, they don’t. Even if the raccoons don’t get them.

If everybody stopped eating meat then millions and millions and millions of animals wouldn't be killed every year. They wouldn't be born either. So- is a relatively short life with a painless end better or worse than no life? Should I have posted this on the abortion thread? JayInOz

In over 60 years, I've never met a vegan or a vegetarian who's tried to talk anyone out of eating meat or declared themselves morally superior. Of course, according to the media, there are some, and there are animal liberationists who are more active. Yet I consistently see people thinking it's funny or somehow appropriate to tease vegetarians with stories, pictures etc. of meat and the killing of animals. They do it because they know it's hurtful yet they express outrage, blurt out 'end of days' scenarios etc. whenever anyone questions their own behaviour or values.

Always reminds me of the person who complains about the heat in the tropics and is asked "Oh, so ya wanna live in Antarctica doya eh?"

It's not about everyone giving up meat, coal, V8s, gas heating etc. It's about balance and sustainability, and humanity. Intolerance works both ways. People who respond to people who are upset by upsetting them more, are not going to achieve anything except maybe a minute of self-satisfaction on an obscure internet forum.
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Did someone say barbeque?

ribroast.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by rregge View Post
    Did someone say barbeque?

ribroast.jpg

Soooo….
    You are what you eat right?
    aaaaand those cows were vegan right?

so, logically….I’m a vegan!

Square peg in square hole.
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

Last edited by Hallam; 08-09-2022 at 09:59 PM.

Bruce Cockburn

Quote Originally Posted by David W Pratt View Post
    How morally superior would it be to have enough trees on your property to more than off set your family's carbon dioxide production?
    You'd have to cut them down to make room for the granny flats that will avenge white privilege and systemic racism. "There's a housing shortage, man, falling disproportionately on POC ('persons of color')". There's your family's CO, and then the CO of your tenants, which is addtional, tis true . . . Whatever, for better or worse, it's simply the cost of social justice, which is a priori a superseding moral value. Left homocentrism, though they will never admit it.
    Last edited by Osborne Russell; 08-10-2022 at 06:43 AM.
    I'm not leaving.

-- Mike Pence

Morally superior, from what moral standpoint? From that of the non-human world, humans not having children is unquestionably morally superior.
    I'm not leaving.

-- Mike Pence

Quote Originally Posted by Osborne Russell View Post
    humans not having children is unquestionably morally superior.
    I'll bask in that for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by George. View Post
    I'll bask in that for a while.
    As you bask - at what point is a human a burden to the planet. What must a morally superior person do?

Impossible burgers are pretty damn good BBQ'd. I like mine with bacon.

OGImpossible.0.jpg
    Without friends none of this is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    As you bask - at what point is a human a burden to the planet. What must a morally superior person do?

Impossible burgers are pretty damn good BBQ'd. I like mine with bacon.

OGImpossible.0.jpg
    According to my doctor, I'm not supposed to have any of the meat substitutes. The chemicals and processing of them can screw with my digestive system.
    Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.

Why stop at meat? Have you any idea what price soybean production extracts from the planet? There are plenty of meats whose impact is lower than that of many plants.

Save the planet. Kill yourselves.