Thread: Rigging / Repair While Boat is on the Trailer

Default Rigging / Repair While Boat is on the Trailer

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere (I looked, but couldn't find it), but a basic question. I have an 18' wooden sailboat about 40 years old, well cared for. I have her on a new Triad trailer, with full keel support and secondary support on four poppets (not weight bearing so much as keeping her righted on the keel stand).

Prior to launching her, I'd love to spend some time getting familiar with the rigging -- I weigh about 200 lbs. Can I climb onto her in the trailer, or is that a no-no and I need to get her in the water and rig her up tied up to the dock (while she is taking up anyway)?

Default Re: Rigging / Repair While Boat is on the Trailer

That depends. My 18 foot boat is open, and well-supported on the trailer. I can climb in over the stem and all is OK.
    However, as soon as the mast is stepped, I climb out and set up the rig from the ground.
    finished 006.jpg
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Some form of chocks to prevent the wheels from rolling and a support of some kind under the back end of the trailer to keep the whole works from tilting when you move around in there are a really good idea if it isn't hooked to the car.

Nordica-1.jpg

I think the answer you're looking for is, yes, the trailer supports the boat well enough that adding a couple hundred pounds (relatively carefully) is not going to damage things, provided you don't accidentally have that cause the trailer to tip, roll and cause you to fall, etc.

If the trailer is going to support the boat going highway speeds (over, inevitably, sometimes imperfect roads), I'd hope it wasn't so close to failure that adding that (modest) amount of weight while not moving caused it to break or damage the boat.
    Daniel

Building a Campion Apple 16.

it depends a lot on the boat. What is it? Photos would help. I can go anywhere on my 16' boat while she's on the trailer, hooked up to the vehicle or not. But if I don't tell you what kind of boat she is, that means nothing.

Jeff

Yes.
    -Dave

Yes - I used to do it on my Hartley TS16 all the time: I had a jockey wheel at the front of the trailer and put blocks under the aft end of the trailer and chocks behind the wheels, but if you don’t have a jockey wheel the easiest way to deal with it is to just hook the trailer up to your vehicle to hold it in place, no other blocks and chocks really needed.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"