Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you travel…

Default If you travel…

Right now by air, you are probably nuts. (Yes, I am including myself there.) Just got back from a trip to the UK which included two legs - the first was supposed to be from the UK to Amsterdam, the second from Amsterdam to Boston.

I got an email from Delta at noon on Thursday to check into the first leg on KLM. By 4:30 PM, that flight was cancelled by KLM. The UK phone for Delta customer service repeatedly hung up after 10 minutes of hold time. Trying to rebook through the Delta app told me I couldn’t make changes without an agent. Finally resorted to the online Delta chat through the app. Took me three hours and four different Delta customer service reps to get re-booked. The first three tried to deny that I had purchased the tickets from Delta and were simply not going to help. I finally took a screen shot of my receipt from Delta for the tickets and the fourth agent was able to resolve things within about 15 minutes.

My new itinerary was a Virgin Atlantic flight from the UK to JFK with another short hop to Boston about three hours after arrival. Other than cooking in the aircraft as we waited to depart because the APU wasn’t working, the flight itself wasn’t particularly eventful until arrival at JFK. We were a bit early, so our gate wasn’t available. We waited on the apron, engines running to keep the A/C on for more than an hour after we touched down. Once we reached the gate, it was another 20 minutes before they opened the door. By this time, some passengers were irate as they were going to miss connecting flights.

When I changed out my SIM card and fired up my phone, I had a message there my JFK-Boston flight had been cancelled and that I was rebooked for a different flight the next day.

I passed a Delta agent and tried to ask about dealing with the delay and he told me, “You’re on your own.” I then went to try to be speak to a Delta representative at the rebooking area, but there was a line of 600 people waiting for 3 reps. At the pace the line moved, I figured I would be talking to the representatives by the time I was set to check in for my flight the next morning. I gave up and booked a room over at the TWA hotel the next terminal over.

For those that don’t know this hotel, it is the old TWA terminal with a building erected behind it. Kitschy and stylish with a very 60’s ethos- feels like being on a set for Mad Men. Got a room $500/night plus fees and taxes. Grabbed a horrendously overpriced sandwich and soda and headed for my room. After a long day of travel, I went and had a shower and hopped into bed for an early night’s sleep.

Until 8–ish. I was awoken by a very loud “CLICK” and seconds later the fire alarm started blaring. Threw on some shoes and a jacket, grabbed phone, room card, wallet and flashlight and made my way down the stairs to the exit in the lobby. There were no staff members communicating with guests - like nothing was happening. Moments later FDNY showed up and started to do their thing . Lights were flickering on and off in the lobby, but they were still checking in guests, the restaurants and bar were still doing their thing like nothing had happened.

I wound up chatting with a group of other guests waiting in the lobby including a couple who had been stuck in the hotel for three days trying to get to Florida from NY. Their experience made mine pale in comparison. Uncompensated downgrade from 1st class to coach from Italy after two flight cancellations there. A 4 hour delay in departure from Italy after the plane hadn’t been fully fueled for the flight. Like everyone else, they’d considered renting a car and driving home, but the rental agencies didn’t have cars that hadn’t been reserved long in advance - and even not enough to meet all of those needs. Flight crew in the group were discussing career changes - something I heard from gate agents, supervisors and cabin crew.

While standing there I get a text from Delta - with a $15 food voucher.

We we’re finally told we could head back upstairs to our rooms. No electricity, no climate control. Rooms were stiflingly hot and black-out dark - with the exception of some blinking light in the room next to the smoke detector that flashed through eyelids like lightning. Sweet. Got up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom and tried the lights - no use. Went back to sweat on the bed. Some power came on at 5:48 AM - how do I know? The bathroom lights came on.

Went back to sleep for a bit before getting up to get ready to schlep back to the terminal. No hot water. Grab a cold shower and start to head for the lobby. Elevators aren’t working. I take all my stuff and head down 7 flights of stairs with it to have a little discussion with the hotel manager about my experience in the hotel. She comped a significant portion off the bill - which was as it should be.

Took the tram back to the terminal to get checked in and to get a boarding pass for my flight to Boston. Again, I couldn’t check into the flight via the app and couldn’t access a digital boarding card - talk to an agent. I arrived 4-1/2 hours early to leave plenty of time to sort things out. I go to get in line at the check in and was turned away as I was too early and the flight wasn’t even on the board.

Headed down to arrivals where I knew there was a Dunkin Donuts and a few chairs tucked away in a hidden corner. Got a coffee and a breakfast sandwich and went to sit and eat while waiting for my flight to hit the screens. Text message from Delta - your flight is delayed by 15 minutes. Joy.

Flight hits the screen and I head upstairs and get in line. Took nearly 2 hours to get to talk to a representative, Crystal, who was wonderful. For some reason the system doesn’t want to let her check me in, print boarding cards or luggage tags. Takes 20 minutes and two supervisors to get the job done. She remained calm and cheerful throughout.

Finally get through security and head toward my gate grabbing a bite or lunch and a cold beer on the way as it is now about 12:30 for my 1:20 flight. I get to the gate about 1:00 and they start boarding almost immediately. Then the fun begins. There are more customers on board than seats. Two people are standing in the aisle with their stuff and their boarding cards for already occupied seats. A game of “whose partner airline” reigns supreme ensues with cabin staff trying to sort through the confusion. One man in the aisle is told he needs to disembark and get rebooked on a different flight and he leaves disappointed, but not angry. The other seat is occupied by a woman who refuses to leave the seat as, “I was here first!” Finally, because she is refusing to comply, a cop and a TSA agent arrive to remove her literally kicking and screaming from the plane. We’re now at 1:30 PM for the 12:59 original departure.

The captain comes on and says they can’t depart yet because they haven’t been fueled and because of the ticketing issues, the manifest isn’t correct and needs to be fixed. We finally get ready to close the door and push back at 2:10 PM. We have to wait again on the apron for a few minutes as we had lost our take-off slot.

Finally, we take off and arrive in Boston an hour and a half late. My phone pings when I turn it back on - my luggage is still at JFK. On to the long line at the baggage assistance desk. I go and speak to the woman at the counter to make a claim. She asks how I know my luggage is not here as that flight’s baggage hasn’t hit the conveyor yet. I hold up my phone with the FindMy app showing the location of the luggage at JFK. Fill out the paperwork and head home.

So - a bit of advice.

First, be pleasant, kind, and patient with staff of all kinds for the airlines, hotels, airports, and restaurants. They’re understaffed, overworked, stressed and unhappy about the way things are going. You will get far better results than yelling at them.

Second, plan some slack into your schedule. You will likely be delayed somewhere along the line.

Third, don’t assume your checked bags will arrive anywhere. So far, my family has had two bags lost and I am the only one who has completed my journey. If you can travel with carry on only, great - do it. If you can’t travel without a checked bag, pack a carry on with enough stuff to hold you for a few days. Don’t put anything in checked luggage you can’t do without, like medicine.

Fourth - carry snacks and a refillable water bottle so you can be self-sufficient. Hangry people are a thing.

Fifth - consider putting a Tile, Air Tag or other trackers inside all your bags - it is helpful to know where they are.

Sixth - take a picture of your bags - and perhaps the contents if they are of value - to be able to make lost luggage claims. The photo of the outside of my bag was very helpful to the lost baggage people.

Seventh - consider travel insurance.

Eighth - bring a couple of candies, treats, Starbucks, or Dunkin gift cards for giving to agents or flight crew. They appreciate it a lot and it goes a long way for your customer experience.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Default Re: If you travel…

Wow--sorry to hear about all that. Is this the part where if I say:

I flew from Chicago to Munich with no problems whatsoever (3 checked bags), and even had an empty seat next to me for the 8-hour flight? And then continued on to Wrocław (via Lufthansa, no less!) with only a 30-minute delay? With all my luggage intact and unharmed?

that you'll be mad?

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    Wow--sorry to hear about all that. Is this the part where if I say:

I flew from Chicago to Munich with no problems whatsoever (3 checked bags), and even had an empty seat next to me for the 8-hour flight? And then continued on to Wrocław (via Lufthansa, no less!) with only a 30-minute delay? With all my luggage intact and unharmed?

that you'll be mad?

Tom
    Nah. I am not mad - even after all that. To be honest, with the exception of a 3 day delay in the arrival of my daughter’s checked bag, the two flights we had on the way over from Boston to Amsterdam and then from Amsterdam to Manchester were relatively uneventful. Neither flight was full. Immigration in the UK was even a breeze with new systems that are in place.

This morning I got several emails from both Virgin Atlantic and Delta apologizing for the flight issues that I experienced. Delta has requested that I submit receipts from any expenses that were due to my cancellations and flight delay, so the are attempting to make things right.

Which brings me to my Ninth point - keep receipts of any expenditures from your delays or cancellations and request a “military excuse” form from the gate agent for any cancelled or significantly delayed flights to provide to a travel insurance company or to the airlines themselves.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Canoez all very good advice. It’s a real $hitshow now, and it’s not getting better anytime soon. Record number of fatigue calls this year as the airlines keep trying to do more with less. Record overtime too. My last 4 day trip I flew with 4 different copilots, all of whom were flying on their days off. One of which got extended into an additional day.
    While commuting home I spoke with 2 other pilots. We all agreed we’ve never been so exhausted in our careers.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    Canoez all very good advice. It’s a real $hitshow now, and it’s not getting better anytime soon. Record number of fatigue calls this year as the airlines keep trying to do more with less. Record overtime too. My last 4 day trip I flew with 4 different copilots, all of whom were flying on their days off. One of which got extended into an additional day.
    While commuting home I spoke with 2 other pilots. We all agreed we’ve never been so exhausted in our careers.
    One of the flight crew was still organizing stuff in the cockpit on my way out. I called in a thank you and reached over with a Starbucks card. The beaming smile on the guy was totally worth it. I’d given the cabin crew lead a large Toblerone that I had picked up the day before that was split among the cabin crew. Even though there was no “service” on the hop from JFK, she came around when we had reached altitude with a small bag she handed to me. Inside was a beer, a cup, and a small bag of chips.

ETA : I also carried a small ziploc bag with a variety of mixed wrapped candy for when I got to a counter and would offer them up. It is nice to be able to make people smile.
    -William A. Ward

So if you can get on a plane, the pilot might be too fatigued to be safe to operate machinery.

Yous all really need a Working Time Directive.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Another travel tip: don't let your country vote for Brexit.

There was a no-lines passage through Munich Customs for all EU passport holders. And many signs gleefully informing UK passport holders that they were now required to stand in the long line with everyone else.

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

but that was the main point of brexit, blue passports, no?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Rather than stay in New York for the night I would have simply taken a train or bus to Boston. My wife now refuses to fly, so any long distance travel we do is by train. Yes that makes trips to Europe a bit iffy.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post

There was a point?

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by Todd D View Post
    Rather than stay in New York for the night I would have simply taken a train or bus to Boston. My wife now refuses to fly, so any long distance travel we do is by train. Yes that makes trips to Europe a bit iffy.
    I could have gotten a train into the city and then another to my hometown, but that train leaves very early in the morning so I still would have had an overnight somewhere - would have been a do-able solution and I could have had a refund of the JFK-BOS leg. If I could have gotten a rental car that would have worked, too.
    -William A. Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    Even that didn't go to plan,my new passport is black.It reminds me to mourn what we lost,as if I needed to.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    One of the flight crew was still organizing stuff in the cockpit on my way out. I called in a thank you and reached over with a Starbucks card. The beaming smile on the guy was totally worth it. I’d given the cabin crew lead a large Toblerone that I had picked up the day before that was split among the cabin crew. Even though there was no “service” on the hop from JFK, she came around when we had reached altitude with a small bag she handed to me. Inside was a beer, a cup, and a small bag of chips.

ETA : I also carried a small ziploc bag with a variety of mixed wrapped candy for when I got to a counter and would offer them up. It is nice to be able to make people smile.
    As a cockpit crew member I’ll say thank you so much for doing that. We’ve gotten so much support from the traveling public lately. I think they know the reasons for this debacle and that the employees are doing what they can, but when management makes poor decisions we can’t make up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    So if you can get on a plane, the pilot might be too fatigued to be safe to operate machinery.

Yous all really need a Working Time Directive.
    No, if he or she is too fatigued they won’t be there and you will be short a pilot. We have extensive rules with regards to duty day, min rest, flight time etc. But the rules can’t take everything into account and fatigue is cumulative. Combine long 4-5 leg days with minimum overnights and on paper it’s still legal, but the reality is you’ll end up fatigued.
    Both myself and the copilot have to sign a release before every flight. Included in that release is a statement that we consider our own condition to be satisfactory for the flight. If I can’t attest to that I make a phone call and my day is done.

Right now by air, you are probably nuts.
    Haven't travelled international since just before Covid, but I can feel your pain. The 'International' part adds a whole new level of crap that can go wrong. Still flying domestic two to three times a month, which varies from great to pretty bad.

So - a bit of advice.

First, be pleasant, kind, and patient with staff of all kinds for the airlines, hotels, airports, and restaurants. They’re understaffed, overworked, stressed and unhappy about the way things are going. You will get far better results than yelling at them.
    Absolutely. Some passengers just don't get that part.

Fifth - consider putting a Tile, Air Tag or other trackers inside all your bags - it is helpful to know where they are.
    I have Air Tags in my luggage and even my backpack. They can add a bit of stress if they don't update in a timely manner. I've been on my next flight waiting to push back, and the air tag says it's still over at gate where I arrive. But then it shows up on my plane just before we take off, or right after we land.

Seventh - consider travel insurance.
    Never done that.

Eighth - bring a couple of candies, treats, Starbucks, or Dunkin gift cards for giving to agents or flight crew. They appreciate it a lot and it goes a long way for your customer experience.
    Read about that, and think it would be okay a lot of the time. Especially the prepaid cards.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”― Mark Twain,

Brian, when traveling internationally, you aren’t covered for many things in terms of both medical and financial liability. If I had a medical emergency or was in a car accident, I would have been covered for emergency treatment and repatriation.

In the event there was a reason I needed to come home to deal with family, I would have been covered for that, too. Expenses for delays and cancellations not covered by the airlines will also be covered. Considering the amount of money we had spent for the trip, the insurance was relatively cheap.

It’s not something that I typically consider for domestic travel.

When we travel internationally for work, we have travel insurance provided by the company.
    -William A. Ward

I've had two friends who were on international trips when they got covid. Both had travel insurance, which paid for 10 days of air B&Bs, food, rebooking costs, etc. etc. They would have been out major money without it. We bought it for a trip to the UK back in May. It was a quite small percentage of the overall trip cost.

Default If you travel…

I fly every week and have had pretty good luck. I did get cancelled last week. Delta paid for a hotel, paid for a car service and gave me $15 food voucher and booked me on a flight the next day.

All of that was done automatically through the app and via text. I did mot have to request anything.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

I am still at a loss as to why I couldn’t do anything actively through the app. I think it had to do with the fact that originally, 3 of the 4 flight legs that we booked through Delta and my Delta Sky Miles account were with KLM. Delta reps kept telling me that i hadn’t booked the flights through Delta (I had) and the re-booking of my flights back to the US were ultimately booked by KLM from who I got the confirmation email.

I should have been able to access digital boarding cards and re-booking through the Delta app. None of this was available to me.
    -William A. Ward

God that sounds terrible. I was thinking of Spain in September. May just fly into London. Nonstop seems like the way to go. I can figure out local flights from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Jones View Post
    I've had two friends who were on international trips when they got covid. Both had travel insurance, which paid for 10 days of air B&Bs, food, rebooking costs, etc. etc. They would have been out major money without it. We bought it for a trip to the UK back in May. It was a quite small percentage of the overall trip cost.
    trip insurance is a great and seriously needs to purchased if it makes sense - especially international travel. Not all insurance is the same.

summer travel and cut backs have made it hell. Having a booking desk have your back makes all the difference in the world. Nowadays count on something going sideways and have a back up or a delayed plan. If you are on business or on a schedule - you have to take your chances. Having recently spent 6 hours inHouston after a series of cancellations and delays - the pain i felt was real.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 08-08-2022 at 01:22 AM.
    Without friends none of this is possible.

Brian, when traveling internationally, you aren’t covered for many things in terms of both medical and financial liability. If I had a medical emergency or was in a car accident, I would have been covered for emergency treatment and repatriation.

In the event there was a reason I needed to come home to deal with family, I would have been covered for that, too. Expenses for delays and cancellations not covered by the airlines will also be covered. Considering the amount of money we had spent for the trip, the insurance was relatively cheap.

It’s not something that I typically consider for domestic travel.

When we travel internationally for work, we have travel insurance provided by the company.
    I agree completely on the travel insurance. The school that hired me in Poland required it before they would reimburse our flights. Good move, I think.

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

1500 planes cancelled over the weekend domestically. 388 already cancelled today.

398 since I first posted. 3 mins ago.

Good friend of mine is a retired 777 captain. Lives in Nashville. Son is in Salt Lake City. He and his wife drove out to visit.
    Even the pilots don’t want to fly!

Bag has now inexplicably been sent to Detroit.
    -William A. Ward

Uuuug flying to Europe next week and we have multiple connections
    I tried to mitigate problems we are only taking cary on's a backpack each.
    Each bag has an Apple AirTag so if they get lost or stolen we can track them. I just heard a horror story about a woman that spent 2 days in Heathrow's lost luggage warehouse.

But I'm fully prepared to have flights canceled and all sorts of mayhem. My biggest fear is getting Covid before next Monday or worse getting it when we get there and have to spend 5 days quarantined in our AirBnB.

I'll let you all know.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    Uuuug flying to Europe next week and we have multiple connections
    I tried to mitigate problems we are only taking cary on's a backpack each.
    Each bag has an Apple AirTag so if they get lost or stolen we can track them. I just heard a horror story about a woman that spent 2 days in Heathrow's lost luggage warehouse.

But I'm fully prepared to have flights canceled and all sorts of mayhem. My biggest fear is getting Covid before next Monday or worse getting it when we get there and have to spend 5 days quarantined in our AirBnB.

I'll let you all know.
    I hope you have tsa pre check - traveling with a few laptops is a PITA. TSA and global entry helps a bit. Flying in Europe will be a bugger..

Delta seems to have decided that they don’t ever want me for a customer again. After two flight cancellations out of four legs of travel, four out of four delayed departures all greater than 1/2 hour, two late arrivals more than an hour, lost luggage on the last leg for three days, they utterly destroyed a Samsonite hard side bag, too. Fortunately the contents survived, but the bag will never be fit for use again.
    -William A. Ward

Sorry, but not at all surprised to read this.

Sorry, but not at all surprised to read this.
    I am seriously debating a Pelican case for checked luggage. You can drive a Hummer or a 6-by over one and only leave tire tracks.
    -William A. Ward

I work for a foreign national company where colleagues travel on a regular basis (international and in-country) and have heard nothing but stories similar to yours Canoez. So many stories that I decided to drive 1400 miles, each way, to New Orleans recently. I very pleasant experience, comparatively.
    Granted, that won't work for overseas travel but I won't willingly get on a plane again until things improve. (to be honest, after 20ish years of weekly air travel I don't care if I ever get on a plane again)

Bill

Hell, they pay me good $$ to get on one and I don’t want to!

Just curious - why has air travel gone to hell?
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

We flew from Boston to Iceland at the end of June, then a week later to Manchester, two weeks later back to Boston through Iceland all with no real glitches. The only problem was the airport in Rekjavik was very badly organised. We flew Icelandair.

The Lyft driver in Boston, not only could not understand English, he could not read Latin letters, insisting in dropping us at terminal C rather than E. The taxi driers in Manchester, would only accept post (zip) codes as a destination, which is another story.

Canoez, did you consider a one way rental from New York?

Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    Just curious - why has air travel gone to hell?
    While I think it applies to more industries than air travel, I'll take a stab at it.

COVID.

First, they offered early retirement packages to a pilots and laid-off or terminated ground and cabin staff.

Second, many of those laid-off or terminated staff found other employment. They didn't return to the business.

With the loss of pilots and staff, there was a significant loss of something you don't get back easily - experience. It was apparent to me that lots of the people I dealt with a ticket counters lacked experience. They needed the help of other co-workers or supervisors to be able to do their job.

These people have been let-down by their employers. They're overworked as well as stretched thin for the number of customers and they're dealing with frustrated customers. I see there being a significant amount of greed by the airlines in continuing to overbook flights and press staff hard as Reynard commented about.

This isn't going to improve anytime soon.
    -William A. Ward