Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Residential Building costs in you area?

Default Residential Building costs in you area?

Bought a 10,000 sq ft lot a few years ago. In Eugene,Or. $140K
    Just got a bid for a 1600 sq ft house, yes mid range stuff., at least I thought so,smooth wall, blown in insulation, mfg.wood floor, Standard Cabinets painted, tile showers (2) 3 bed rm. minimal trim, 2 car garage.

Bid includes everything except appliances. $760K + $475 per sq ft.
    so a 1600 sq ft house with the lot....$900K
    NO can do.
    Anyone want to buy a lot in Eugene?

and in your area?

Default Re: Residential Building costs in you area?

Well, it's Eugene. In the real world you could expect anywhere from $125-$250/sf for builder grade construction, twice that for custom.

Could probably build it yourself for less than 100k and a year of work. Hire in labor as needed. Still a pretty good yearly salary in savings.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Madison View Post
    Could probably build it yourself for less than 100k and a year of work. Hire in labor as needed. Still a pretty good yearly salary in savings.
    yeah, I did that 40 years ago, on 5 acres in the foothills of Ca. Took almost 3 years, I did almost everything except the Sparky stuff.
    Left 4 years later..same old story..divorce.

Currently building my 600 sf carport for $10/sf. Estimate from a local builder was $30/sf maybe. 12K sweat equity, and boy am I sweating.

Seattle Times February, 1982:

20220806_160835.jpg

Prices and costs come and go. I don't know how I managed to save that old article but I always enjoyed looking at it. When I did it in 1976 I paid $9000 for 5 acres and built a superior house for $35,000 out of pocket. Didn't hire a single contractor, did every thing myself, concrete work, framing, siding, windows, roofing, heating electrical, plumbing, even put in the septic system myself (fool!). Drew up all plans and got all permits and inspections. It took 2 1/2 years and we lived onsite in a travel trailer all that time. In some respects I was a young fool taking big risks and working hard. On the other hand we never had a mortgage and four houses later we're still living "free" on the appreciation and sale of that house and all the intervening houses.

Almost exactly one year ago we moved into a 1500 square foot house that I built myself over the course of 2 years. Contracted out the foundation, roof and mechanical/electrical but framed, drywalled and sided the thing myself. Tied into an existing septic and well. It cost about $200/square foot.

Cost to have one built for you around these parts is $350/square foot or more. But a lot depends too on how much land development is going to cost you. I already had a 5 y/o $26,000 septic system in place, a well and power to a utility pole on my property (we lived in a beyond-saving little house on the property while I built, the old place was demolished).
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

Quote Originally Posted by sonofswen View Post

NO can do.
    There was a teaser headline about buying housing today. It indicated that there are individuals who are willing to pay 40% more than the usual home buyers. That pushes up prices for both existing homes and new construction.

If you want a house, you need to be willing to pay what others are willing to pay, or build it yourself.
    Life is complex.

"If you want a house, you need to be willing to pay what others are willing to pay, or build it yourself."

Yes, and the contractors follow that and I am well aware. If I was 35 again, I could build it. Still, not as bad as in Ca.
    A friend of mine just had his house built, well, about 2 years ago. About 2300 sq ft. "ONLY" cost $360 then. It's more than inflation to have the sq ft prices at $475...Right now house prices are dropping. Looks like it isn't bleeding over to builders.

That friend...bought a house in Manhattan Beach in the late 70's for $85K. Sold it and came to Eugene with just over $2 Million from the sale. He said he did nothing to get that money...laughing as he said it.
    O well.

Quote Originally Posted by Too Little Time View Post
    There was a teaser headline about buying housing today. It indicated that there are individuals who are willing to pay 40% more than the usual home buyers. That pushes up prices for both existing homes and new construction.

If you want a house, you need to be willing to pay what others are willing to pay, or build it yourself.
    There are other options. The OP already has a lot. He can get a "cheap" manufactured home delivered and set up for less than $150 per square foot. Now some folks consider these to be sh!t box homes, but if you compare construction details they are not unlike stick built homes. He can slowly upgrade exterior details to enhance the appearance of this type of home if it is of concern to him.

"If you want a house, you need to be willing to pay what others are willing to pay, or build it yourself."
    There is another option. As the property owner you can act as the general contractor and hire sub-contractors as needed. But you need to know what you're doing and work closely with the planning/zoning/ building departments. You need to know the UBC and the peculiarity of your local building codes. A good relationship with your local building supply store is essential. The building inspector is you friend if you get it right, and your nemesis if you try to wing it. Overseeing the project can save you a chunk of money, but it is a major time sink.

About $350-$450 here for average level quality.

ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

Sq footage costing is ridiculous anyways. I’m presently building a 950 sq ft laneway house with two bedroom, two tile bathrooms, hydronic heating, mini split for air conditioning, a $10000 infinity door, German tilt and turn windows, standing seam metal roof, hot tub, torched yellow cedar deck, high end kitchen, electric car charging port, prewired for solar etc etc etc.

Total actual cost would be much the same at 1500 so ft but sq ft cost would be a fraction.

Yeah. My 25’x25’ is off the charts.

What’s an infinity door? Google not helping.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    Yeah. My 25’x25’ is off the charts.

What’s an infinity door? Google not helping.
    Basically a glass panel bifold exterior door that has no visible track assembly. 10’ wide door leaves a 10’ wide clear opening. Probably a local term.

Got it. Thanks

Here building costs are being forced up by shortages of labour and materials, inflation, Covid, and contracts are a problem because of it. Several large residential and commercial builders have gone bust, and many many small ones leaving people with no completed house and no money.

Quote Originally Posted by Decourcy View Post
    About $350-$450 here for average level quality.
    I assume that includes the City and county building fees. For my "proposed" house, around $27K.

Not included, ( I have a floor plan, sited, have done the Geotechnical engineering, 2
    $2500, Topo another 2500 and 800 to an excavator to dig 4 trenches, 4-8' deep.
    all above not included in the $475 per sq.ft.

Wondering and thinking we just might have to stay were we are. I get along with the drug recovery housemates( Oxford House) next store, which is good.

Last edited by sonofswen; 08-07-2022 at 12:25 AM.

I assume that includes the City and county building fees. For my "proposed" house, around $27K.

Not included, ( I have a floor plan, sited, have done the Geotechnical engineering, 2
    $2500, Topo another 2500 and 800 to an excavator to dig 4 trenches, 4-8' deep.

City or district building fees only, and they would be around 1% of the estimated build cost. So around $8000in fees for your build. Your other fees are comparable to here.

Bought a 10,000 sq ft lot a few years ago. In Eugene,Or. $140K
    Just got a bid for a 1600 sq ft house, yes mid range stuff., at least I thought so,smooth wall, blown in insulation, mfg.wood floor, Standard Cabinets painted, tile showers (2) 3 bed rm. minimal trim, 2 car garage.

NO can do.
    Anyone want to buy a lot in Eugene?

and in your area?
    About 150m2, and close to $NZ1.5 mil. Ouch!
    That works out at about NZ$10K per square metre, typical build cost here is currently (post pandemic) around $4k/m2, unless it is something special or on a remote/difficult site. And that is way more expensive than pre pandemic.
    Does it come with gold toilet bowls, like Trump towers?

Pete
    The Ignore feature, lowering blood pressure since 1862. Ahhhhhhh.

Pre-pandemic, an 1880 sq ft new house around here (upstate South Carolina) went for about $300K, including the lot. Building materials went up like crazy, as well as housing demand. One of those $300K houses nearby was resold for $450K recently. I built my own house, finishing about 7 years ago, For a 1400 sq ft house, I spent over $100K, and I did pretty much everything myself except excavation, concrete, and drywall. I do have a finished basement, which adds another 1400 sq ft, and I used much better than builder-grade construction and materials.

Friends want to build a house & so are actively looking into costs here in VT. New construction is 200-250/sq ft Manufactured is 150 for bottom end - can get up to 200. Manufactured is often lower quality & is also likely to bring less when resold.

Materials are a big part, but labor is significantly up as well. The numbers above do not include fees (where they are building, total fees are about $50) nor does it include septic - which can add significant cost.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

My next door neighbor is building a new three bedroom, two bath home without garage on a one acre lot he bought last fall. The plan is about 1,500 sq. ft. He paid $100K for the lot. The only thing he has contracted out was the ground work (clearing, septic and well, level building pad and slab). He hired the contractors for that work last October. As of this last Friday they have finished everything but the slab. Once the slab is poured he says he will be into the project for $200K including the land. He has no idea when they will pour the slab. He is a highly skilled carpenter and will build the house himself. Given current prices he expects the house itself to come to $350-$400K for materials alone. He will do all the labor. The house will be finished to custom home standards.

Another fellow I know had ground work done and foundation poured 18 months ago. He has had several builders bail on him since then when what they considered to be more lucrative projects came up.

The problem here is getting someone to do the work. Last winter we had two 80 mph storms that damaged my roof. I was unable to find a contractor to repair the roof, so had to do it myself. A 45 degree pitch roof on a three story house is not a good place for a guy in his 70s with balance issues to be. I did at least wait for a warm (25F) sunny day when the roof was dry and snow/ice free.

The issue with finding someone to do the work is that the cost of housing here keeps young people out. There are no rental properties other than weekly rentals. So labor for home construction has to commute (typical commute is 1.5-2+ hours) from places where they can afford to live. The high gas prices have impacted that by quite a lot. One aspect of that is contractors will not even consider small jobs.

Owners of a lot in our neighborhood recently reported they got an estimate or $750,000 for 2000SF. Keep in mind this doesn’t include the lot.
    It’s certainly gone up in the 5 years since we commenced Construction. We paid just over $200/SF.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

When we bought our house in 2007 it was valued at $143/sf. Replacement cost today is $410/sf. We've been planning to build a new house, but that is probably not going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wright View Post
    There are other options.
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryLL View Post
    There is another option.
    There are always other options.

The important point is that there are a lot of people who are willing and able to outbid you. A lot more than there used to be.
    Life is complex.

Im surprised anyone is quoting hard numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I certainly don’t, and no-one I know is. But in general, I’m my area, that’s what it’s working out to this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    The numbers are what they are. Kinda hard to talk a contractor down to $150/sf when everyone else is getting $450/sf.

Our architect says that rates reached $350/sf here - exclusive of land and site development. But those rates are currently falling. Before the pandemic, it was more like $200-250. A buddy is an engineer for a builder in Bend who specialized in luxury homes. Pre-COVID, they started out discussions at $750/sf.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by TerryLL View Post
    The numbers are what they are. Kinda hard to talk a contractor down to $150/sf when everyone else is getting $450/sf.
    Everyone here has gone to cost plus until things stabilize. If you talked a builder down to $150 you’d get halfway done before the change orders started. And you’d get to $450 and be unprepared.

Here it is 760 a square foot for new construction.
    Without friends none of this is possible.

My friend's son did this house in Bend. Financial exudative of Nike, summer house, 4200 Sq ft. on 10 acres.
    The son is principal Architect of Hacker, Portland,Or.
    just a 4200 sq ft summer house..I think my friend said $4download (1).jpegmillion +.
    my friend said about Hacker,they don't really make any money on houses like that? More for connections on big jobs.
    sq ft price?

just a summer house..
    no..not in the league to ask anything of that company..
    Last edited by sonofswen; 08-07-2022 at 11:57 PM.

Locally summer houses are where the money is. There have been several over the past couple of years that were north of $50 million. A build like that generally soaks up most if not all of the local labor and they also put in trailers for workers from away to live in during the build. A recent build brought in an entire crew of stone masons from Italy. They were here for about a year.

4200 sq. ft. would be the carriage house for a summer cottage here.