Thread: Mine vs Quarry?

Default Mine vs Quarry?

Watching Vintage Roads Great and Small. . . .

Excellent show - two guys who starred in the 1970s All Creatures Great and Small tooling around the byways of Britain in a Morgan 4+4. Better with the audio wired up to a good audio system with a subwoofer - you can appreciate the Morgan's growl and its exhaust note.

Question, though. . . .

Why are they "slate mines" rather than "slate quarries"?

Or "coal mines" rather than "coal quarries"?

What's the difference between mine and quarry?

Slate's just a rock, seems like it ought to be a quarry.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Default Re: Mine vs Quarry?

No real idea, but I'm also curious now that you mentioned it. Quarries are, afik, always open. Mines only sometimes.

Guess: local custom.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

You you get slabs from quarries, and chunks from mines.
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

Quarries are usually an open cut- as in open to the sky- work place. Mines are usually under ground. I know a feller here who works every day in a coal mine on a control panel. He's done it for years. The thing is, the coal is dug, loaded, transported several kilometres- mostly underground- and stockpiled on the other side of the mountain, and he never actually sees it. He is a full time coal miner who never actually sees the coal. Weird JayInOz

Up here, in the land up over, we have open pit mines for coal, and Montana has open pit copper mines.
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

This is one of several where I live. It's not near the biggest.

We can see the glow of the lights from this one at night. They've been mining at the site since the 1920's. Took out 11.7 million tons last year. One of my friends has been driving a coal train between the mine and the coast for his entire working life. Reckons it's a good job JayInOz

Last edited by JayInOz; 08-06-2022 at 01:45 AM.

A quarry is an open pit mine,but I'm pretty sure that quarry is used when the product is stone,as opposed to coal or ore.
    We have many limestone and gravel quarries around here,but only one mine,salt,under the lake near Goderich.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

Quote Originally Posted by JayInOz View Post
    Quarries are usually an open cut- as in open to the sky- work place. Mines are usually under ground.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    Up here, in the land up over, we have open pit mines for coal, and Montana has open pit copper mines.
    Rock for building can be either quarried or mined, it depends on whether the rock strata dive deep underground, or stays on the surface.

Slater was usually mined in Wales, but here in Cumbria is both quarried and mined.

Coal and ore OTOH is won from pits, they could be open cast pits or deep pits aka mines.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

There was an old slate quarry on a steep hillside several hundred yards from a back road leading in to our place. I was always going to collect some big pieces but there was no way to get a vehicle near it. Not sure how they got the stone to the road back in the old days. We had old gold mines on our place, including one that ran at a forty five degree angle down under the creek and then levelled out. Braver men than I, tunnelling under a creek with pick and shovel. JayInOz

There was an old slate quarry on a steep hillside several hundred yards from a back road leading in to our place. I was always going to collect some big pieces but there was no way to get a vehicle near it. Not sure how they got the stone to the road back in the old days. We had old gold mines on our place, including one that ran at a forty five degree angle down under the creek and then levelled out. Braver men than I, tunnelling under a creek with pick and shovel. JayInOz
    Pack horse.
    In the UK if there was no viable track, they used the mine or quarry waste to build an incline, then laid rail tracks and used rope hauled wagons.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

The Franklin-Creighton Gold Mine extended under the Etowah River in Cherokee County, Georgia. It was closed in 1913 after the top of the mine collapsed and the river flooded the mine.

The shingle house is the only remaining building there now.

shingle house.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Pack horse.
    In the UK if there was no viable track, they used the mine or quarry waste to build an incline, then laid rail tracks and used rope hauled wagons.
    And the rail tracks were wooden, for centuries before iron and steel.
    Just an amateur bodging away..

The show is fun to watch, especially both of them struggling so to get into and out of the Morgan!! Very relatable.
    "So we beat on, paddleboats against the wake of a neighbor’s jet ski, born back ceaselessly into the past." The Great Lakes Gatsby

Look at all that carbon that will be in the air soon. We will never plant enough trees to get it all back....

That's not a mine, this is a mine

The Vale Carajas mine in Brazil is the worlds largest iron ore mine with 7.3 billions of tonnes of reserves, along with a bunch of gold. Got there once in my travels.
    carajas.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images