Thread: Racist prosecutor loses election bid in Memphis

Default Racist prosecutor loses election bid in Memphis

Memphis prosecutor who charged Black woman over voting error loses re-election bid

Amy Weirich, the Memphis prosecutor who stirred national outrage for bringing criminal charges against a Black woman for trying to register to vote, has lost her re-election bid.

Weirich, a Republican who has been the district attorney general in Shelby county since 2011, lost to Democrat Steve Mulroy, a law professor at the University of Memphis and a former county commissioner.
    Weirich’s defeat marks a major victory for criminal justice reform advocates, who had pressured her office over its use of cash bail, diversity and decisions to try juveniles as adults.

Earlier this year, Weirich trumpeted a criminal conviction and six-year prison sentence for Pamela Moses, who tried to restore her right to vote after a 2015 felony conviction. Tennessee’s rules for restoring voting rights are extremely confusing, and Weirich’s office brought charges against Moses even though a probation officer had signed off on a form saying she was eligible. Prosecutors argued she had deceived the officer into signing off on the form.

But after the trial, the Guardian published a document showing that the Tennessee department of corrections had investigated the error and made no mention of deception. Instead, the department blamed the officer. Weirich’s office failed to turn over the document to Moses’ defense team before trial, leading a judge to take the extremely rare step of overturning her conviction and ordering a new trial. Weirich said her office was not to blame for the mistake because the department of corrections failed to give her office the document.

It was not the first time Weirich had come under fire for failing to disclose evidence to a defendant – a 2017 study found her office had more instances of misconduct than any prosecutor in the state from 2010 to 2015. In 2017, she also accepted a private reprimand from the Tennessee board of professional responsibility for casting aspersions on a defendant’s decision not to testify during a murder trial...

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...n-pamela-moses
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Default Re: Racist prosecutor loses election bid in Memphis

So are you calling her a racist or is some other source doing that?

As I said earlier, you have chosen to (temporarily?) renounce collegial discussion. No sense following me around until you're ready to jump back in the game where you stalled it --

"Sorry, not interested in attempting adult conversation with those who run away when the going gets tough... see #53 below.

When/if you address the prior topic in a rational fashion, I'd likely be willing to take up this new discussion."

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...90#post6704490
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by Boatbum View Post
    These people sure as hell did.
    The letter was signed by Dawn Harrington of Free Hearts, Natalie McKinney of Whole Child Strategies, Cardell Orrin of Stand for Children, Tikeila Rucker of Memphis for All and Josh Spickler of Just City.
    The case of Pamela Moses drew international attention when she received her six-year sentence after being convicted in November 2021.
    "It was a senseless and morally corrupt prosecution that is part and parcel of the broader pattern of racial disparities in Shelby County," the group wrote. "And while the national outcry was swift, Weirich bragged about the conviction in a press release."
    https://eu.commercialappeal.com/stor...up/9424981002/
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    They asked for a racial equity audit. Was the audit complete and what were the findings?

This still does not answer my question though which was whether Dave G was calling her a racist or was it some other source?

There isn't enough information in the post to know if she is a racist, but she certainly sounds like an amoral prosecutor given the reprimands she has received and her treatment of Moses seems very excessive. People are probably better off with her out of office.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    There isn't enough information in the post to know if she is a racist, but she certainly sounds like an amoral prosecutor given the reprimands she has received and her treatment of Moses seems very excessive. People are probably better off with her out of office.
    I guess that is my point.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatbum View Post
    I guess that is my point.
    Careful! We could get into trouble that way.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

By their actions will you truly know them.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

There's enough information in the story and the second link of the second paragraph to see how the story shows that DA Weirich is a racist. The only way to escape that conclusion is to deny the facts.

Denying the facts is the forte of some B'Rats.

Then, of course, there's the familiar dynamic where I bluntly and pointedly critique the claptrap issuing from someone of the Rats... and they decide to taking any opportunity from then on to pugnaciously argue about anything I say. No matter how shaky their arguments.
    Last edited by David G; 08-05-2022 at 09:53 PM.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Just noting that our faux-fair & balanced correspondent has still not addressed the issue mentioned in #3...

He's instead adopted the tactic bbbbbbbys employed when I finally put him on my ignore list: 'DavidG is afraid to debate [some] topic'. Every accusation...

It also took a number of B'Rats here a long time to recognize that SkyBlue (to mention one example) was who he was, despite my early warnings. Again I caution... beware todays 'fair & balanced conservative'. Even if they are honestly attempting to be both, they start from a place that precludes such an outcome --

Last edited by David G; 08-12-2022 at 10:52 AM.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Just noting that our faux-fair & balanced correspondent has still not addressed the issue mentioned in #3...

He's instead adopted the tactic bbbbbbbys employed when I finally put him on my ignore list: 'DavidG is afraid to debate [some] topic'. Every accusation...

It also took a number of B'Rats here a long time to recognize that SkyBlue (to mention one example) was who he was, despite my early warnings. Again I caution... beware todays 'fair & balanced conservative'. Even if they are honestly attempting to be both, they start from a place that precludes such an outcome --

Good old "C&P David G." right on cue. You still won't answer my question:

As I said earlier, you have chosen to (temporarily?) renounce collegial discussion. No sense following me around until you're ready to jump back in the game where you stalled it --

"Sorry, not interested in attempting adult conversation with those who run away when the going gets tough... see #53 below.

When/if you address the prior topic in a rational fashion, I'd likely be willing to take up this new discussion."

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...90#post6704490
    Still...
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks