Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oars

Default Oars

Does anyone know where to get a pair of good wooden oars (aside from Shaw&Tenny)? The (Barkley Sound?) company in Canada I think has closed doors.
    If he ever drinks the brew of 10 tanna leaves, he will become a monster the likes of which the world has never seen

Default Re: Oars

Check Craigslist and other local ads, watch for tag and estate sales. Cutting a pair from spruce planks isn't too hard.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

storebought oars ?
    like...from a store?
    nex thing ya know, people are gonna start BUYING sails !

Van Fancy is still in business, I think.

http://www.towerwebsites.com/fancyoars-paddles

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

Plastimo make / sell wooden oars. On the good side they distribute 10 different lengths and go upto 11 ft'ers. I assume you wanted 8,9,10 ft? Got a Plastimo dealer near you or chandlery?

https://www.plastimo.com/en/avirons-brittania.html

Bought oars will likely be on the robust side, but nothing that can't be pared down if needed or weighted in the handle to counterbalance.

http://www.grapeviewpointboatworks.com/order_oars.html

You can also get oars at the lumberyard. Some assembly required.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

To be fair to OP, I can see the appeal to buying them, even if you can make them. A boat is lots of (relatively) small parts, any one of which you can screw up and fix (with little consequence aside from time). (obviously, some parts are bigger / have more consequences than others!). Oars seem a bit different: while they aren't a big project, if you screw up towards the end, there may not be much you can do to fix aside from starting over.
    Daniel

Building a Campion Apple 16.

Quote Originally Posted by dbp1 View Post
    To be fair to OP, I can see the appeal to buying them, even if you can make them. A boat is lots of (relatively) small parts, any one of which you can screw up and fix (with little consequence aside from time). (obviously, some parts are bigger / have more consequences than others!). Oars seem a bit different: while they aren't a big project, if you screw up towards the end, there may not be much you can do to fix aside from starting over.
    I disagree. If they're made of wood, then they can be fixed although one may choose not to if the repair requires a lot of effort. I made many a dandy screw-up during my pro woodworking career and I was able to fix them all.

Jeff

I need to get/make some cheapo oars. I just can’t bring myself to leave Mary’s fancy Shaw And Tenny oars on the dinghy rack down at East End Beach. It’s hard enough leaving the HumbleBee there. But if I don’t leave some oars down there we can’t ride the bikes down to go sailing.
    And the 7’ Moose Point oars at Hamilton Marine are $63.79 each. I just haven’t been able to walk out the door with a pair.

I just ordered a pair of 7'6" spoons from Van Fancy. Even with the high cost of shipping, they're much cheaper than Shaw & Tenney. They'll be here in about 6 weeks. Time will tell if the quality is there.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    I need to get/make some cheapo oars. I just canít bring myself to leave Maryís fancy Shaw And Tenny oars on the dinghy rack down at East End Beach. Itís hard enough leaving the HumbleBee there. But if I donít leave some oars down there we canít ride the bikes down to go sailing.
    And the 7í Moose Point oars at Hamilton Marine are $63.79 each. I just havenít been able to walk out the door with a pair.
    Dang. I got a couple pairs you could choose fromÖ

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer;[URL="tel:6705170"
    6705170[/URL]]I need to get/make some cheapo oars. I just canít bring myself to leave Maryís fancy Shaw And Tenny oars on the dinghy rack down at East End Beach. Itís hard enough leaving the HumbleBee there. But if I donít leave some oars down there we canít ride the bikes down to go sailing.
    And the 7í Moose Point oars at Hamilton Marine are $63.79 each. I just havenít been able to walk out the door with a pair.
    If you want something to leave on the dinghy rack, how about a pair of Mik Storerís Goat Island Skiff oars? https://storerboats-2pcvbeepenn1.net...AR9FT-2020.pdf

They are drawn 9 feet long but I think we can figure out how to shorten them, yes? Curved blades are laminated 3mm ply, but when I made his canoe version I bent 6mm ply across the grain with no problem.

Or, if you want something simpler, these have flat plywood blades, unlike Storerís spooned ones.

5FB279B9-BA76-4228-AE36-3F414C1AAD0F.jpg
    Dreaming of sailing in Iowa, building a Carnell Nutmeg.

Quote Originally Posted by MushCreek View Post
    I just ordered a pair of 7'6" spoons from Van Fancy. Even with the high cost of shipping, they're much cheaper than Shaw & Tenney. They'll be here in about 6 weeks. Time will tell if the quality is there.
    I've heard good things about them. But then, my brother made me a set of oars for my birthday before I got around to ordering from them, so I don't really know.

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

i watched a video where a guy too a pair of cheap thick oars and sculpted them with a flap disc. Interesting...
    If he ever drinks the brew of 10 tanna leaves, he will become a monster the likes of which the world has never seen

I need to get/make some cheapo oars. I just can’t bring myself to leave Mary’s fancy Shaw And Tenny oars on the dinghy rack down at East End Beach. It’s hard enough leaving the HumbleBee there. But if I don’t leave some oars down there we can’t ride the bikes down to go sailing.
    And the 7’ Moose Point oars at Hamilton Marine are $63.79 each. I just haven’t been able to walk out the door with a pair.
    Couple of options: a bronze locking device to lock them into the tender. I have one around here some where that you can have for rehoming kit. I can bring it to Blue Hill if you are going to be there. You can also look at the simple horrible oars used for inflatables and the like. Don't know how they compare in price to Wayne's.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

As an alternative, could you fashion a trailer of sorts for the oars? Maybe even a simple clamp-on set of wheels and lash the other end to the bicycle.

Jeff

How el cheapo do you want to be? How far do plan on rowing? Have you considered using curtain rods with plywood blades bolted to the end? I have seen them used in China, and they work. They won't be pretty, but I doubt they will be stolen.

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    As an alternative, could you fashion a trailer of sorts for the oars? Maybe even a simple clamp-on set of wheels and lash the other end to the bicycle.

Jeff
    I like the idea of towing a pair of oars tied to a skateboard. Going around corners would be wild!
    What's not on a boat costs nothing, weighs nothing, and can't break

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Fuller View Post
    Couple of options: a bronze locking device to lock them into the tender. I have one around here some where that you can have for rehoming kit. I can bring it to Blue Hill if you are going to be there. You can also look at the simple horrible oars used for inflatables and the like. Don't know how they compare in price to Wayne's.
    See the link in post #12 ;-)

But if I don’t leave some oars down there we can’t ride the bikes down to go sailing.

Add a red flag or two and away you go!
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

I need to get/make some cheapo oars. I just canít bring myself to leave Maryís fancy Shaw And Tenny oars on the dinghy rack down at East End Beach. .
    My wife's Shaw&Tenneys are on display in our home most of the time. My "$2.44 oars" (plus some inflation in 10 years) can be left anywhere without fear they will walk away

You can do remarkable things with a Home Depot 2x4! Plan on making a bunch at a time, as there is a bit of a learning curve on the band saw.
    46266570-5C6B-411F-8C5D-8B8EFFE71DBD.jpegEE625D04-07BE-4EB2-99C4-0F215F26CF5B.jpeg81FA1F00-16E0-43C4-AA63-04F67168F3DD.jpeg

I think I am going to make a pair, if anyone wants to post pic of their home made oars please do. Thanks.
    Last edited by Rigadog; 08-19-2022 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rigadog View Post
    I think I am going to make a pair, kit any wants to post pic of their home made oars please do. Thanks.
    I made these quite a while ago, the skiff has square captive oar locks.
    Borwicks 3.jpgBorwicks skiff.jpg
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

7BDD2090-8DCE-4BFA-93A4-B79BEB42A948.jpg
    The grey ones are just plain old oars. Twine “leathers” because I’m that guy. Painted because I’m THAT guy.

The short ones are for the duck punt, and are primarily foils, for when the sailing gets serious. They do row her nicely, though.

The long ones are like those used for curraghs. They work surprisingly well, and are my favorites; especially because they work quite well to pole along in the shallows.

ETA: lengths from top to bottom: 7’, 6’, and 8’. Apparently, I like even numbers? Hahaha.
    Last edited by amish rob; 08-17-2022 at 12:18 PM.

I just made a couple of pairs of 5'6" ones for kids' rowboats. I cut two square sections out of mediocre clear 2x4s, 8 sided them, rounded them, planed tapered flats on one end, and glued pieces cut out of 1/2" boards for the blades. final rounding was with a piece of 100 grit glued inside a half piece of 2" PVC pipe.
    Not as pretty as Shaw and Tenney, but when the kids break/lose them, no tears.

I made these last week in the Traditional Oar making class at WoodenBoat School. 7 1/2', Sitka Spruce, spoon blade. Doug
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice! I may go with the square section because I have a set of those oarlocks.

Nice oars! I guess I can just ride the sidecar rig down to the boat launch with the oars in the sidecar. I’ll try that out….

Thanks. If you do it the square section can help counterbalance the oars also. Doug

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

These are for my 8 ' dingys, Ive made about 8 pair over the decades.
    WRC center and AYC outer lams,3 lams total

I use dynel instead of leather,the "button" to keep the rollock on is just built up epoxy
    shaped with a disc sander and power planer ,no hand tools
    Last edited by wizbang 13; 08-22-2022 at 07:57 AM.

Since it hasn't been brought up, thought I'd mention take-apart oars. I didn't have a good place to stow the full-length oars on my dinghy when sailing, where they weren't in the way or snagging lines. This solved the problem.

Mine are in 44" sections, 84" assembled. I bought the CF sleeves and installed them on some oars I had.

IMG_3114.jpg

Anyone ever made a pair with a square or trapezoid shaft section for Douglas oarlocks?

Maybe sort of 8 side (big 4-small 8) them like the Martinoli sleeves?

IMGP0468.jpgIMGP0470.jpg
    ​​♦ During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act
    ♦ The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it
    ♦ If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear
    ♦ George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Autonomous View Post
    Maybe sort of 8 side (big 4-small 8) them like the Martinoli sleeves?

IMGP0468.jpgIMGP0470.jpg
    If that is a Douglas oar lock, any square loom that will turn in the space available will do it. They are not so different from these Windemere style oar locks.
    Borwicks skiff.jpg
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.