Thread: Handmade boart - Part went missing. Mast to boom ideas?

Default Handmade boart - Part went missing. Mast to boom ideas?

New to the forum

New homebuilt owner, and I mean, homebuilt! Yikes

I hope I can attach pictures properly.

The pin was attached to the strap on the mast, second pic.... sorry, I can't seem to rotate it, and apologies for incorrectly named parts, (I haven't sailed for 30 years) and the pin swung upwards on some kind of swivel. The wooden boom has what looks to me like a Hobie gooseneck that accepted the swivel pin's shoulder. I feel finding that type of pin is going to be nearly impossible. Correct?

Boom Mast 1.jpgBoom Mast 2.jpg

Retrofit ideas?

Thank you!
    Gord

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Default Re: Handmade boart - Part went missing. Mast to boom ideas?

i think that strap thing on the mast is not a thing.
    the gooseneck goes to a short female track on the mast
    maybe i'm missing something ?

What Bruce said. There should be some kind of feeding slot in the mast groove for sail slugs. The gooseneck will slide into that. A pic of the mast showing the slot might help. If there's no feeder slot (salvaged mast?) it's pretty easy to cut one with a Dremel.

Hmmm, I understand what you're saying. There was a mention of a "pin", but it's from someone who was struggling to recall it. Thanks, I'll try and re-think it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    What Bruce said. There should be some kind of feeding slot in the mast groove for sail slugs. The gooseneck will slide into that. A pic of the mast showing the slot might help. If there's no feeder slot (salvaged mast?) it's pretty easy to cut one with a Dremel.
    Copy that! Will have a look this weekend, not sure if you can tell those are granaries in the background, it's out on the farm until we get everything "working again".

Thanks!

There should be a small area, usually slightly above the boom's normal position where the track in the mast is cut open so that the gooseneck can get into the track. The sail's tack grommet is secured to the captive shackle shown at the left of the first pic, then the boltrope feeds into the track above the boom. The downhaul attaches to the ring shown at the right side, either with or without that shackle (which isn't really needed) and pulls the gooseneck down below the cut-out and is cleated below. P.S. What on earth is that boom made from? It looks like particle board...
    Last edited by Todd Bradshaw; 08-04-2022 at 11:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Bradshaw View Post
    There should be a small area, usually slightly above the boom's normal position where the track in the mast is cut open so that the gooseneck can get into the track. The sail's tack grommet is secured to the captive shackle shown at the left of the first pic, then the boltrope feeds into the track above the boom. The downhaul attaches to the ring shown at the right side, either with or without that shackle (which isn't really needed) and pulls the gooseneck down below the cut-out and is cleated below. P.S. What on earth is that boom made from? It looks like particle board...
    Like I said, homebuilt to the max! lol...I think there's even some drywall on it, I was afraid to look too hard, epoxied mind you, but still, egads....it's just for putzing around prairie lakes, nothing extreme.

Appreciate the feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by GordN View Post
    Like I said, homebuilt to the max! lol...I think there's even some drywall on it, I was afraid to look too hard, epoxied mind you, but still, egads....it's just for putzing around prairie lakes, nothing extreme.

Appreciate the feedback!
    And they can be the best kind!!!!

If it is the pivot pin you are looking for, they are out there (just don't remember what they are called. In a bind a regular bolt & nut would work, wouldn't it?
    Attached Images Attached Images

It looks to me like the gooseneck is upside down. The pin mechanism secured the sail tack and the shackle goes into the strap on the mast to hold it down.

What is wrong with the pin in the first place? It all looks intact. Is it missing the spring perhaps?
    Last edited by Boatbum; 08-05-2022 at 09:47 AM.

I could imagine the gooseneck slide dropped into the slot opening (Which I'm guessing is above and out of the picture) then shackled to the band around the boom (no downhaul, only a halyard)
    The twist lock pin is for the tack of the sail.
    Looks like it is all there and would "work" just fine, just not the way I would do it.
    Be advised if you cut an opening in the slot to accept the gooseneck, boltrope/sail slides in the "wrong" place, the sail slides or boltrope may come away from the mast at the most inopportune times. (I'm betting the "opening" to load the gooseneck/ slides is already there.) Maybe...

the fitting on your wooden boom is complete

the stainless steel straps bolted thru the wood are to be on the sides of the boom(your pic has the boom laying on it's side)

this will make the piece of bent stainless run up n down the mast inside the grove on the aft side

as mentioned above there is supposed to be a "gate" in the lower portion of that slot that is not seen in the picture you provided

the gate is a cutout sized just large enuff for the gooseneck fitting to slip into

not your mast but here are 2 gates similar to what i am describing

Unknown-2.jpeg Unknown-1.jpegfig-10.gif

it should be just above the deck to provide access

the wide spot is just wide enuff and tall enuff for the gooseneck

the pin in the 3rd pic is the point where the tack(fwd bottom corner) of the sail attaches to the boom

the "U" shackle on the bottom of the gooseneck is where a downhaul is attached to apply tension to the luff(fwd vertical edge) once the sail has been raised

OIP.SUg6tiKMiJE4ipAW40FwzAAAAA.jpeg

hope this helps

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

BoomMast2.jpg

There.

Yes a simple bolt for the missing pin ought to suffice, and that boom looks like what once was solid wood (maybe two pieces laminated together?) but has suffered bigly from lack of care & attention since being put into service.

Forget the shackle to attach the downhaul, be simple to use some cordage with a suitable knot. Less metal banging about is always a good thing, less to forget too when getting ready to go out.

Care to post pic(s) (you're doing a fine job of it save for the rotated image - which ain't your fault!!) of the entire craft? We'd like to see what you got....

Handmade Boart, you say?

Quote Originally Posted by GordN View Post
    s....it's just for putzing around prairie lakes, nothing extreme.
    Some of my fondest sailing memories are from a little 5 acre lake on the Oregon Coast...nuthin' wrong with little water HAVE FUN!

(I think) if you just shackle that gooseneck to this strap it will all work. Assuming you have an opening in the boltrope slot

You guys nailed it, thanks to all. I'm wondering if we did it wrong the first time out, lol! I distinctly remember holding a pin up and my brother dropped the gooseneck into it. Live and learn.

Thanks for the input, I believe I will go pick up a gate stopper now. If I've said that right, man I feel like such a noob....
    G
    Last edited by GordN; 08-09-2022 at 02:33 PM.

238247004_10158517269631235_5208663719587645149_n.jpg

So no, no drywall...No idea, hard shell over the wood. Anyway, she floats and moves along quite smartly in the hot prairie afternoon wind. My trips to the coast will be the wooden kayak and SUP, I feel the salt would do her in lickety split.
    Last edited by GordN; 08-09-2022 at 02:36 PM.

Lil Red Rooster! Very capable looking boat. I'd bet she'd be fine in the salt. (Salt preserves, fresh water rots. )