Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234 LastLast

Thread: Why have a Checklist ?

Default Re: Why have a Checklist ?

Since I've posted this I've had to turn off the inverter and fuse switches about 4 times. Inconsistency is really what makes it exceptionally frustrating.

We leave for 3 weeks in Italy tomorrow morning and this is how Van 3 was left when I just went out and checked on it.

Screen Shot 2022-08-14 at 5.08.21 PM.jpg

Yes you are seeing that correctly, she left the door open and her tools on the ground.
    I'm gonna have a stroke
    Last edited by Joe (SoCal); 08-14-2022 at 07:57 PM.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post

Yes you are seeing that correctly, she left the door open and her tools on the ground.
    I'm gonna have a stroke
    California dreamin'

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Decourcy View Post
    Take the list out of the hands of the workers and have a dedicated maintenance person other than yourself. Deals with everything required to have the van ready to go first thing in am. Either add a “maintenance” fee to the billing, or talk to the groomers about them paying a percentage of pay to fund or partially fund. It may just be that after a long day of grooming stinky dogs belonging to demanding customers, that the only thing the groomer wants is a cold beer. They may, in fact, be willing to lose a little money just to get rid of that end of day responsibility.

Perhaps one of the local garages/shops would be interested in a few hours a day as a maintenance contract. The wash bay crew does it all day, and is set up to do it.

In some ways, as it is, it’s like asking the pilot to fuel and clean their own airplane at the end of the flight. A one man bush pilot does that, but when the fleet gets big enough, it no longer makes sense.
    Sounds reasonable. It seems like one of those inevitable changes that come with scale.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Since I've posted this I've had to turn off the inverter and fuse switches about 4 times. Inconsistency is really what makes it exceptionally frustrating.

We leave for 3 weeks in Italy tomorrow morning and this is how Van 3 was left when I just went out and checked on it.

Screen Shot 2022-08-14 at 5.08.21 PM.jpg

I'm gonna have a stroke
    Joe,

have you considered that it may well be (my experience tells me "it probably is") a systems problem, and not a worker problem?

If these are the results you are getting with running things the way you are, maybe it's time to change the way you run things. There are some good suggestions on this thread. Perhaps it's time for a meeting with your groomers to explain what's going on, and listen to their suggestions about why it's happening, and how to stop it?

There's a fair amount of research out there suggesting that employees appreciate being part of the solution a lot more than they like it when employers use sticks or carrots to impose a solution.

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    when i had several framing crews in the field, i spent significant effort maintaining all the tools, cords, hoses...the idea of any of my hacks repairing a cord or replacing a saw switch went out the window the first time one of them tried. no. no-no-no.

i recall one guy who had been with me for about 15 years, one day i handed him a new saw blade, he managed to install it backwards on his worm drive. i looked over a couple minutes later to see smoke rising from the board he was ripping.

so, either i had infantilized that guy by not letting him do even basic tool maintanence, or i was right all along...

There's a reason that Claymore mines have this molded into them

Just like there's a reason saw blades have an indicator for direction of rotation.

You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

The fact that you are going to Italy is completely irrelevant to your employees, you better stop mentioning it.
    Another try, this one is a bit more practical, as an add on to #9 and #11.

1. What is the purpose of your company?

As an entrepreneur you have an idea of ​​what needs to be done and why. You know what you want to achieve. You have a clear picture of what your company should look like in a few years.

It is nice if you have thought about this and have a clear picture for yourself. But if this is all in your head and it is not known to your employees, then they will go their own way and follow a course that does not correspond to the course you have in mind.

2. Communication

Properly formulating what you want to achieve with your company is therefore an important part of good communication with your employees. Sharing this information and using it regularly in meetings ensures that your employees know what is important to you. In this way, the involvement of your employees increases and they can contribute ideas and make additions.

3. Responsibilities and Authorities

Just because we all know what needs to be done doesn't mean it will actually happen. It must be clear to your employees what is expected of them. They need to know what results have to be delivered, when, and what they are responsible for. Handing out responsibilities is often not the hardest part. We also call this delegation. It is more difficult to link powers to that. So within which frameworks can decisions be made independently? Handing over powers means letting go and that is much more difficult.

4. Knowledge and skills

If you then let go, you assume that that employee is also capable of meeting expectations. You can only do this if you know what knowledge and skills he or she has and to what extent your employee is willing to work on them if necessary.

5. Individual conversations

There's only one way to find out; you will need to have regular individual interviews with employees to go through the steps above.

Enjoy your holiday!

Joe, maybe you need to raise wages so you can attract better quality staff.

I'm gonna have a stroke
    It's all part of the master plan . Next time, the keys will be on the front seat to see if Joe snaps.

OK, that would really push my buttons. I hope he/she/it is truly stellar with customers, but personally, I couldn't trust a person anymore who is that careless/distracted/ditzy or whatever.
    If it's the same person doing this stuff repeatedly, unless you want to back them up with a van check every time they come back because they are otherwise really worth keeping, it's time for a DCM (don't come Monday).

Pete
    The Ignore feature, lowering blood pressure since 1862. Ahhhhhhh.

Could be a passive-aggresive response to the checklist.

I think diesel should be DIESEL. Maybe even break out the highlighter, unless it can't be filled with petrol.

Happy holiday Joe, if running a dog grooming business is as hard work as grooming dogs is, you've earned it and need it. Enjoy your decompression.

Does your company have a cannabis use at work policy?

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Davis View Post
    Does your company have a cannabis use at work policy?
    this ain't from too much cannabis, its from not enough

Joe, you are going away, and there is nothing you can do about it except ruin your vacation.

Gather the staff, point out the recent failures, and make it clear that if you come back and find problems resulting from such failures their job is on the line. Then go away and forget about it!

Seems to me it would be quicker to check the vans yourself, rather than posting about it.

You hire groomers, not auto technicians and cleaners. You could easily do that at the end of each shift. Judging by your post rate, what else do you do?

You complain about how your buisness is going and your answer is to go on holiday. Its not a staff problem, its a management issue.

But, better and easier to blame anyone but yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by George. View Post
    Joe, maybe you need to raise wages so you can attract better quality staff.
    This is a common misunderstanding we pay 30% MORE than the competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Vadim 68 View Post
    Seems to me it would be quicker to check the vans yourself, rather than posting about it.

You hire groomers, not auto technicians and cleaners. You could easily do that at the end of each shift. Judging by your post rate, what else do you do?

You complain about how your buisness is going and your answer is to go on holiday. Its not a staff problem, its a management issue.

But, better and easier to blame anyone but yourself.
    Thank you, but you're 100% wrong in every category.

#1 Obviously, I check everyday thats why there are photos in this thread

#2 I hire workers and part of their job is to clean, and leave the van better than you found it. I don't know a job where you just do one thing and not expected to do common sense things like .......... closing the freaking door ?????

#3 I built a million dollar revenue company from nothing in less than 5 years. So I think I can go on "holiday" for a couple of weeks. When you can pull that rabbit out of the hat you can talk to me

Ah, Vad, vad, vad.....

so predictable!
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

#2 I hire workers and part of their job is to clean, and leave the van better than you found it. I don't know a job where you just do one thing and not expected to do common sense things like .......... closing the freaking door ?????

#3 I built a million dollar revenue company from nothing in less than 5 years. So I think I can go on "holiday" for a couple of weeks. When you can pull that rabbit out of the hat you can talk to me
    we haven't seen the spread sheet on that yet.

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    we haven't seen the spread sheet on that yet.
    Screen Shot 2022-08-15 at 8.13.14 AM.jpg

Ok so last year we averaged about 83,000 a month so not exactly $1 mill figure about $996,000

just goosing you joe, don't go posting proof of your revenues, you have other stuff to do. eta: oops, lol

i believe you, and i also know, from experience, that managing a million in revenue in a services industry, in which the principal product is labor, is extremely difficult to do in the hands on, personally accountable way you do it. the way i did it. (though i never turned over a million, i did in today's dollars.)

anyway, the moral of the story is, unless you are building up to a different model, it may not be worth it. it wasn't for me. i curse the day i hired my first guy. in your case, if your franchise model takes off, you win. if you are forever closing van doors, you lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey View Post
    Just like there's a reason saw blades have an indicator for direction of rotation.
    hey, thanks for the information, nicholas.

in order for the information to be useful, one needs to know which direction a circular saw rotates. and some people, after fifteen years of daily use of said tool, won't really know, not for sure.

Of course I am, that is your number one go to excuse for all your issues.

You are the guy who hires and fires.

You are the one taking on employees who do not do what is required.

The fact (you say) they bring you in $83,000 a month ,so why have you even thought about getting an old retired guy to do the vehicle checks and clean up that you are too lazy to do yourself ?

You need a reality check......83k a month, and you do not want to flick some switches and clean a van.

Try it for a month if your buisness is till going when you get back, let your groomers do just that, you might find a change in their attitude.

No charge for the consultation.

how does renee deal with all this?
    I'm gonna have a stroke
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

This is a common misunderstanding we pay 30% MORE than the competition.
    That doesn't matter. Maybe the competition has even worse staff. But clearly your staff are either too stupid, or unafraid to lose their jobs, or willing to lose their jobs. So you need either smarter staff or staff that value the job more. Either way you need to pay more.

Except #2 ain't happening consistently, are you any closer to finding out WHY?

Pete
    The Ignore feature, lowering blood pressure since 1862. Ahhhhhhh.

Quote Originally Posted by George. View Post
    That doesn't matter. Maybe the competition has even worse staff. But clearly your staff are either too stupid, or unafraid to lose their jobs, or willing to lose their jobs. So you need either smarter staff or staff that value the job more. Either way you need to pay more.
    Not necessarily. In the current market, where there are more jobs than workers, the employees very much are able to 'call the shots'. One job doesn't work out - there's another.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

2 I hire workers and part of their job is to clean, and leave the van better than you found it. I don't know a job where you just do one thing and not expected to do common sense things like .......... closing the freaking door ?????
    Quote Originally Posted by epoxyboy View Post
    Except #2 ain't happening consistently, are you any closer to finding out WHY?

Pete
    This is the first question that needs to be answered. And it can only be answered by the employees. Who might not want to answer unless there's a basis of trust already established.

Why are they doing what they are doing, and not doing what they are not doing? Have you asked them? Not scolded them, yelled at them, given them warnings about consequences--have you asked them what's going on with this?

That's step 1 in my book.

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

The "why aren't things happening" question really sticks out here. Going to wonder if there is time allocated in the schedule for the 1/2 hour of cleaning/stripping the rig and also if the last appointment is anywhere remotely near home base? Depending on how the staff are interacting with clients may have a strong bearing on what they feel up to when bringing the van back.

If they aren't talking to you, then you have issues. You may have herculean staff who can do it all, but guessing many more are just "average" and have human issues--which money or traditional incentive programs (including dismissal) won't resolve.

Revenue is not profit.

My wife, (daughter,) and I made a reasonable profit each year from when we were 40 until 55. At that time she decided she wanted to take vacations. So we did. And we took them around our work obligations.

While my daughter has always been much more competent than any hired help, she has been a loss for the company until recently - 20+ years experience before she became profitable.
    Life is complex.

We have a profit margin of 33%

My guess is that most of the analysis presented here is probably meaningless for this particular work situation. Maybe, just maybe, some folks working for dog grooming companies might tend to be casual, itinerant workers - as in "stuff your effin rules and requirements man, I'll tell you what you want to hear, groom a few dogs when and if I feel like it, and then concentrate on my own sh!t."

Now if they actually owned the business they might give a damn about the equipment. So the owner has to make the best of what he's got, be thankful for the good employees and be prepared to live with or terminate the bad ones.

In my line of business, the difference between the average employee and the average self employed person is stark. The employee doesn’t give a damn about the condition of tools, or if they get misplaced, or if things are ready to go in the morning without delay. The average self employed contractor is the opposite. The employee that is the outlier is one that becomes the self employed before long.

There seems to be a lack of “buy in” to company standards. You can continue to try to push that, but I really think it’s a better path just to separate the work and the maintenance/cleaning. Then you can keep a groomer that is excellent, but messy (if they should appear), and if the vans aren’t being maintained/cleaned you can find another person to do that without disturbing your groomer pool.

Let them specialize in what they do.

We have a profit margin of 33%
    That seems high, too high, perhaps you should introduce "profit sharing"?

it's not high if you count one of the primary groomer's (1 of 4? in other words 25% of revenue?) wages (say, the one you are married to) as "profit".

if you are not counting her work as part of the "33%" business profit, then yes, your margin is so high, you should never mention it again.

if you are counting her margin as "profit", then your margin on everybody else would have to be between 10-15%, which seems reasonable. not saying it's worthwhile, longterm, but reasonable.

one of the ways i fooled myself for years was undervaluing market value of my labor when calculating "profit".

you have to subtract your own effort--both you and renee-- and look at what is left over. if the answer is "nothing", well, there you go. you are just churning money for other people. providing services to other people. getting other people what they want, while assuming risk, for nothing. i did it for 20 years, really.

A lot of us have I'll bet...