Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Why have a Checklist ?

Default Why have a Checklist ?

We are leaving for Tuscany in 11 days. I have someone staying in our place watching our dog, apartment and looking over our business.

We have some newer groomers who are still making errors, especially at the end of the day. So I made a simple begining of the shift and end of the shift checklist on a clipboard for every van. It's set up pretty simple do the 10 things on the checklist as you do them check them off. It's not rocket science. I've put this in place the beginning of the week and NONE of the new workers has followed through. This was todays disaster.

WHY IS THIS SO HARD, AND WHAT AM I DOING WRONG ?

Screen Shot 2022-08-04 at 6.19.33 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-08-04 at 6.19.47 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-08-04 at 6.20.01 PM.jpg
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Default Re: Why have a Checklist ?

Being a good leader is an art.

Where's the inverter off switch?

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Where's the inverter off switch?
    Click the Main 50 amp switch and then press the inverter button.

Screen Shot 2022-08-04 at 6.44.33 PM.jpg

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

#11 Use Joes' toothbrush to scub on/off switches clean.

Or the #2 pencil to darken the labels

are those switches scorched? jeez.

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    are those switches scorched? jeez.
    Geeeeesus give it a f'in break that van is over 12 years old and thousands and thousands or wet harry dogs have been through it. Yet that has NOTHING N O T H I I N G to do with the original problem in the OP so please PLEASE give it a freaking rest.

Why is my staff not doing what I want?
    Two ways to answer this question;

1. Take a good look at your staff members and analyze why they are behaving like this
    2. Take a good look at yourself and analyze what you have done and what could be improved

In general insight into 2 gives the best results.

Good luck!
    Last edited by dutchpp; 08-05-2022 at 02:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dutchpp View Post
    Two way of answering this question;

1. Take a good look at your staff members and analyze why they are behaving like this
    2. Take a good look at yourself and analyze what you have done and what could be done better

In general insight in 2 gives better results.

Good luck!
    I did #2 first and foremost. Thats when I came up with a 10 point check list. I was like leave the understanding to them. Problem solved ..........NOT

It's hard to be very precise in a foreign language Joe but in #2 I was referring to the implementation process as well.
    How did I introduce it etc.
    Be wise!

Is the problem unclear instructions (I know it this stuff seems obvious to you - but it's your baby. Pictures, like #4 might help - if John B was confused.......), or is the problem that most humans really aren't wired to go task-tick, task-tick, task-tick?
    They go tick, tick, tick, tick, and maybe they do all the tasks, and maybe they don't.
    Have you talked with (not at) your guys about what might work better for them - so its their checklist or whatever, not yours. They need to own the process.

I had my tires changed at one of those "while you wait" type places with a comfy lounge, coffee machine, and windows looking out onto the workshop. According to the ten point checklist, all dutifully ticked, they had checked the spare, and it was all good.
    Except they hadn't, and it wasn't - it needed air. The car war never out of my sight, the rear hatch never got opened. But tick, tick, tick - right in front of a paying customer.
    I got a filthy look too, when I politely asked that it actually be done .

Pete
    The Ignore feature, lowering blood pressure since 1862. Ahhhhhhh.

Took my 30 YR-OLD truck to a different place for a lube job, after dealing with the former place (where wife has been having repairs done for 40 years) for 12 years. Like everyone, they use a checklist for "fluids". They discovered no coolant in radiator, so they check ability to hold pressure and found "zero". They installed a new radiator and hoses (after phoning me) and the lube job ended up costing me $2600. That's why I've been taking the truck there for diesel and other repairs, they're thorough. Just returned from a week-long cruise around Isle Royale in Lk Superior. At one point we pulled into a refueling stop at 3:30am and had to wait until dawn to continue because the headlights were cutting out. Will take truck to same garage for a fix because the same thing happened a couple of years ago to be "fixed" by another shop. I know the lube job shop (they work on a lot of class-A motor homes, diesel tractors, and all of the Rockford's ambulances) can fix my headlights for good, because they use a checklist, and the owner has a soft spot for the old 12-valve Cummins engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Scheuer View Post
    Just returned from a week-long cruise around Isle Royale in Lk Superior.
    OK, quit wasting your time in the Bilge and post a thread about your trip! Lots of photos, remember?

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by epoxyboy View Post
    Have you talked with (not at) your guys about what might work better for them - so its their checklist or whatever, not yours. They need to own the process.
    This is what good management is all about. It's pretty rare, in my experience.

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

sounds like you might want to appoint someone who already works for you to be you with a bonus while you are gone

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

There is a "spare" switch, maybe wire up a 12 volt audio visual aid on how to complete the 11 pointchecklist rather than a so called "list"printed on a piece of crunchy granola processed tree.
    is "Cherished Crayon" even a real name? is her real name Razzmatazz or Bluetiful ?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    Geeeeesus give it a f'in break that van is over 12 years old and thousands and thousands or wet harry dogs have been through it. Yet that has NOTHING N O T H I I N G to do with the original problem in the OP so please PLEASE give it a freaking rest.
    Someone here once used the acronym HTFU...?

I would be most concerned that the very first one was not checked off No go juice , no go

Expecting employees to follow end of day procedures such as this without constant monitoring and a good deal of cajoling, threatening, and downright begging is akin to asking a chipmunk to play Moonlight Sonata on a 9ft grand piano…

Jeff C
    Don’t expect much, and you won’t be disappointed…

Quote Originally Posted by dutchpp View Post
    Two ways to answer this question;

2. Take a good look at yourself and analyze what you have done and what could be improved

In general insight into 2 gives the best results.

Good luck!
    How about offering a $25 gift card to the staff member that does the best job on it over the week?

Unbelievable. I can't imagine NOT following that checklist. Certainly appears there is 'no buy-in' to running things right.

What I've noticed, in-pandemic, is how little loyalty employees now have. Oh, they didn't have it, before - but wanted to keep their job. Now, there's more demand than capacity. You get to see 'true-selves'.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

I'm now lost without my Geezer Checklists, if I remember where I put them.

I agree with #16. Surely you have one employee that can be tasked with the responsibility of the checklists.

Checklists are a good thing.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    Unbelievable. I can't imagine NOT following that checklist. Certainly appears there is 'no buy-in' to running things right.

What I've noticed, in-pandemic, is how little loyalty employees now have. Oh, they didn't have it, before - but wanted to keep their job. Now, there's more demand than capacity. You get to see 'true-selves'.
    That seems a bit one-sided, I think. Certainly employees in the service industry have not been treated well historically by their employers, eh?

Or employees at WalMart, etc., who are kept on part-time status, paid low wages and no benefits, and have to make up the difference with taxpayer-funded safety net programs that we all pay for.

Given the zeitgeist of maximum profits for minimal compensation for workers, why on earth would anyone expect that employers (overall--there are certainly exceptions) deserve any loyalty? Do employees get loyalty?

My last employer was illegally withholding my overtime pay. They did it for months, to all the hourly workers. When I gave my notice, I let them know they owed me and all the hourly workers our overtime, and double--that's what courts would give me. I got it, by making it clear it would cost them more trouble if they didn't pay up. I can't say I feel a lot of "loyalty" towards employers after an experience like that.

Meanwhile, wages still aren't keeping up with inflation.

I know that employers are in a tough position right now, and much of it not their fault. But the lack of loyalty? Oh, yeah. Employers have a lot to do with that.

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    Checklists are a good thing.
    When lives depend on the list actually being followed, hell yes. Keep checking!
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I think there is fundamental difference between a cockpit (fuel booster pump ON) type checklist, where everything is right at hand and immediate, and a chores 'n bores type checklist (Clean back of van) where some of the items take time, effort, and maybe some organisation.
    Clean back of van maybe equals get extension cord and hoover from office, plus cleaning spray and rags. Spend five or ten minutes doing the job, put all that stuff away, throw out the trash. Tick. Next.....psycologically it not in the same place as just flicking that booster pump switch.

Pete
    The Ignore feature, lowering blood pressure since 1862. Ahhhhhhh.

Quote Originally Posted by epoxyboy View Post
    just flicking that inverter switch.

Pete
    Or in about 2 day you and no one else will be able to operate the grooming equipment until I get back.
    Van doesn’t work neither do you or anyone else that is scheduled to work in that van

How about “Send pic of control panel to ________ at end of shift”

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    Yep. Cause setting up a surveillance culture in the workplace gets such enthusiastic buy-in from the workers who know they are not trusted by the boss!

It's a tough call, I get that. But in the end, you can't make anyone do anything. Ever. And strong-arm tactics tend to increase resistance. 15+ years in high school and middle school classrooms has done taught me a few things.

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    That’s what I initially did. I believe in praising in public and reprimanding in private.

Financial incentive for 100% compliance with pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    Or in about 2 day you and no one else will be able to operate the grooming equipment until I get back.
    Van doesn’t work neither do you or anyone else that is scheduled to work in that van
    THAT is a lesson that might stick.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

reason #137 i retired too early from my career, so called, is that i could not continue to put everything in place for others to succeed only to have them **** in the bed i made. gawd, i wasted my life.

i start as a greeter at walmart next week. a broken man.