Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 345 ... LastLast
Results 106 to 140 of 180

Thread: Brittney Griner

  1. #106
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NorCAL
    Posts
    20,260

    Default Re: Brittney Griner

    There is no music to this thread... fixed!

    Without friends none of this is possible.

  2. #107
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Central Coast, Ca
    Posts
    34,872

    Default Re: Brittney Griner

    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post

    Any application of personal rights you may have here does not transfer to a foreign country. Heck the Canadians don't want Americans who have been arrested for drunk driving in their country. They aren't screaming to change that laws.

    asking for special status for her is a joke. Arguing for it is weakass.

    Defending this idiot who intentionally broke the law and proved to lie about it until it was revealed in video... Let her break rocks.
    Well, there is a valid argument for treating pain with drugs.
    She does have a prescription from a US doctor for said drugs...
    Drugs do provide an arbitrary argument for those that claim they are better than others.

  3. #108
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    3,895

    Default Re: Brittney Griner

    Ted Hoppe and CW Smith make valid points.

    Marc Fogel has been languishing in a Russian jail over half an ounce of marijuana that was obtained by prescription in the U.S. If he isn't released with Griner then we are witnessing favoritism and elitism prevailing for Griner over an unknown, 60 year old teacher, with documented medical issues, who has arguably made substantially more contribution to society than Griner.

    Sure, try to get everyone out, but let's not show this special sort of favoritism. Get the unfortunate "unknowns" out first, or with Griner. Isn't this what the U.S. is supposed to be all about - equality?

    Griner's "special status" will remain with her, and arguments for her release will always be in the news. Her special status comes from handling a goddam basketball. If she wants to be really exceptional, she might even leverage her special status by saying that she will stay imprisoned until the others are released with her.

  4. #109
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NorCAL
    Posts
    20,260

    Default Re: Brittney Griner

    Silly argument since she could have waited till she got home. I understand they deliver now 24 hours a day without a prescription . Since her wallet was swollen from Russian rubles it would have been easy.

    it is really nonsense about weed as pain management for this one - she and many others do it for recreation. Numbing pain so you can eat is flimsy when one is a top athlete. When weed was becoming legal - one could call Dr. Weed over the phone and receive a card the next day. That ship has sailed and now folks are partaking more than ever and creating a larger dependency health crisis along with alcoholism.

    in fact the black market has increased and tax revenues are down. The whole reason why it was legalized. The federal government still sees it as illegal and legitimate recreational drug companies are having a hard time banking. What a screwed up way to progress through a society that has a hard time with drug addiction to begin with.
    Without friends none of this is possible.

  5. #110
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Farmington, Oregon
    Posts
    20,481

    Default Re: Brittney Griner

    Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    ....So much for white privilege huh?
    therrrrre it is.

    why are we being stingy with help for one particular person?

    well, isn't life unfair. as if there isn't disparity of circumstance, opportunity, and so-called justice applied everyday, everywhere. as if most of us here haven't benefited at one time or another for our "special status", for one thing or another, or even for our whole existence as well-to-do westerners with indoor plumbing. saints excepted, of course.

    that one person's story gains traction in public discourse and another is ignored, that one person has advocates and another has no one, that one person gets a warning and a "have a nice day" while another gets a strip search at gunpoint, that one gets probation and another 10 years for the same crime....on and on and on.

    so what. the field is not level. drop the resentment. see one person at a time. don't demand perfection of others. even if you are feeling perfect yourself, you are not. or, if you are perfect, why the grim set of the jaw, the cold hard heart?

  6. #111
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Central Coast, Ca
    Posts
    34,872

    Default Re: Brittney Griner

    it is really nonsense about weed as pain management for this one - she and many others do it for recreation. Numbing pain so you can eat is flimsy when one is a top athlete. When weed was becoming legal - one could call Dr. Weed over the phone and receive a card the next day. That ship has sailed and now folks are partaking more than ever and creating a larger dependency health crisis along with alcoholism.


    You and I will have to disagree on this Ted, you have no idea what her pain may be.
    There are all kinds of pain.
    You are not the expert here...
    *Note; I am not giving her a pass, but pontificating on the evils of marijuana from the perspective of a "Boy Scout" (arguably a gathering of pedophiles) is not a strong position

  7. #112
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NorCAL
    Posts
    20,260

    Default Re: Brittney Griner

    Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post


    You and I will have to disagree on this Ted, you have no idea what her pain may be.
    There are all kinds of pain.
    You are not the expert here...
    *Note; I am not giving her a pass, but pontificating on the evils of marijuana from the perspective of a "Boy Scout" (arguably a gathering of pedophiles) is not a strong position
    I think that is a personal pro weed statement and likely quite is naive and the rest maybe an over simplification of a lot of groups including a lot of folks trying to make the world better. A few bad apples sure has tainted your view of how we train future leaders. I hope you don't think that all Catholics and other Christian groups have been molested either. It would a really sorry state to come from.

    Consider how much she lied, would it bother you if she used it as recreation rather than self
    medication. No probably not but that would not go well to the argument for her.

    given that we have a huge addiction problem and we rather give drugs than provide recovery therapy. Self medication is more than often a road to the slide. It is reassuring to someone who self medicates to hear others use it too.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 08-08-2022 at 01:26 PM.
    Without friends none of this is possible.

  8. #113
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    3,895

    Default Re: Brittney Griner

    Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    therrrrre it is.

    why are we being stingy with help for one particular person?

    well, isn't life unfair. as if there isn't disparity of circumstance, opportunity, and so-called justice applied everyday, everywhere. as if most of us here haven't benefited at one time or another for our "special status", for one thing or another, or even for our whole existence as well-to-do westerners with indoor plumbing. saints excepted, of course.

    that one person's story gains traction in public discourse and another is ignored, that one person has advocates and another has no one, that one person gets a warning and a "have a nice day" while another gets a strip search at gunpoint, that one gets probation and another 10 years for the same crime....on and on and on.

    so what. the field is not level. drop the resentment. see one person at a time. don't demand perfection of others. even if you are feeling perfect yourself, you are not. or, if you are perfect, why the grim set of the jaw, the cold hard heart?
    You absolutely fail to understand the point.

    Our government is moving heaven and earth for one individual, after having essentially ignored others. I don't know about posters here, but I have no resentment for Griner. Why would I resent her?

    What I condemn is favoritism in the application of my government's political power.

    In my book you throw the stack of American passports on the table and note the names and the "crimes." You exert equal treatment in bringing home all of those who have been detained for what we regard as equivalent "crimes" in the foreign state. If anything, you make sure that the exceptional popular concern for the well known individual is also directed to the languishing unknowns in similar circumstance.

  9. #114
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    29,623

    Default Re: Brittney Griner

    Not really, Mr. wright. And this thread is quite 'the tell' - so much hate, and if you care to look, all coming from.... our 'conservatives'.

    Not a lot of empathy in you bunch. Pathetic.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

  10. #115
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    41,210

    Default Re: Brittney Griner

    Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    Not really, Mr. wright. And this thread is quite 'the tell' - so much hate, and if you care to look, all coming from.... our 'conservatives'.

    Not a lot of empathy in you bunch. Pathetic.
    ^^^^^ This ^^^^^

    I would like to see one of them do a weekend in county without turning into a crying snowflake. These are the same yahoo’s that call those arrested for insurrection on Jan 6th as patriots and should not be in jail. Personally I think they are getting off easy I prefer the Head on Pike approach to the legal system.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

  11. #116
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    29,623

    Default Re: Brittney Griner

    I wonder if our reprobates recognize their 'ancestors' in this read?

    Heather Cox Richardson

    1d ·


    August 6, 2022 (Saturday)

    On this day in 1880, the Republican candidate for president, James A. Garfield, spoke to thousands of supporters from the balcony of the Republican headquarters in New York City. Ten years before, in 1870, Americans had added the Fifteenth Amendment to the Constitution, making sure that Black men could vote by guaranteeing that “the right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude.”

    As soon as the amendment was ratified, though, white southerners who were dead set against their Black neighbors participating in their government began to say that they had no problem with Black men voting on racial grounds. Their objection to Black voting, they claimed, was that poor, uneducated Black men just out of enslavement were voting for lawmakers who promised them public services, like roads and schools, that could be paid for only with taxes levied on people with the means to pay, which in the post–Civil War South usually meant white men.

    Complaining that Black voters were socialists—they actually used that term in 1871—white southerners began to keep Black voters from the polls. In 1878, Democrats captured both the House and the Senate, and former Confederates took control of key congressional committees. From there, in the summer of 1879, they threatened to shut down the federal government altogether unless the president, Republican Rutherford B. Hayes, agreed to end the federal protection of Black Americans in the South.

    The congressional leader who eventually forced them to back down was James A. Garfield (R-OH). Impressed by his successful effort to save the country, in 1880, party leaders nominated him for president.

    Garfield was a brilliant and well-educated man and had served in the Civil War himself. On August 6 in New York City, he singled out the veterans in the crowd to explain how he saw the nation’s future.

    “Gentlemen,” he said, “ideas outlive men; ideas outlive all earthly things. You who fought in the war for the Union fought for immortal ideas, and by their might you crowned the war with victory. But victory was worth nothing except for the truths that were under it, in it, and above it. We meet tonight as comrades to stand guard around the sacred truths for which we fought.”

    “[W]e will remember our allies who fought with us,” he told them. “Soon after the great struggle began, we looked beyond the army of white rebels, and saw 4,000,000 of [B]lack people condemned to toil as slaves for our enemies; and we found that the hearts of these 4,000,000 were God-inspired with the spirit of liberty, and that they were all our friends.” As the audience cheered, he continued: “We have seen white men betray the flag and fight to kill the Union; but in all that long, dreary war we never saw a traitor in a black skin.” To great applause, he vowed, “[W]e will stand by these [B]lack allies. We will stand by them until the sun of liberty, fixed in the firmament of our Constitution, shall shine with equal ray upon every man, [B]lack or white, throughout the Union.” As the audience cheered, he continued: “Fellow-citizens, fellow-soldiers, in this there is the beneficence of eternal justice, and by it we will stand forever.”

    Garfield won the presidency that year, but just barely. The South voted for his Democratic opponent, and in the years to come, white northerners looked the other way as white southerners kept Black men from voting, first with terrorism and then with state election laws using grandfather clauses that cut out Black men without mentioning race by permitting a man to vote if his grandfather had voted, literacy tests in which white registrars got to decide who passed, poll taxes that were enforced arbitrarily, and so on. States also cut up districts unevenly to favor the Democrats, who ran an all-white, segregationist party. In 1880, the South became solidly Democratic, and with white men keeping Black people from the polls, it would remain so until 1964.

    But then, exactly 85 years after Garfield’s speech, on August 6, 1965, President Lyndon B. Johnson signed the Voting Rights Act. The need for the law was explained in its full title: “An Act to enforce the fifteenth amendment to the Constitution, and for other purposes.”

    Black Americans had never accepted their exclusion from the vote, and after World War II, they and other people of color who had fought for the nation overseas brought home their determination to be treated equally. White reactionaries responded with violence, but Black Americans continued to stand up for their rights. In 1957 and 1960, under pressure from President Dwight Eisenhower, Congress passed civil rights acts designed to empower the federal government to enforce the laws protecting Black voting.

    In 1961 the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (SNCC) and the Council of Federated Organizations (COFO) began intensive efforts to register voters and to organize communities to support political change. Because only 6.7% of Black Mississippians were registered, Mississippi became a focal point, and in the “Freedom Summer” of 1964, volunteers set out to register voters. On June 21, Ku Klux Klan members, at least one of whom was a law enforcement officer, murdered organizers James Chaney, Andrew Goodman, and Michael Schwerner near Philadelphia, Mississippi, and, when discovered, laughed at the idea they would be punished for the murders.

    That year, Congress passed the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which strengthened voting rights. On March 7, 1965, in Selma, Alabama, marchers led by John Lewis (who would go on to serve 17 terms in Congress) headed for Montgomery to demonstrate their desire to vote. Law enforcement officers stopped them on the Edmund Pettus Bridge and beat them bloody.

    On March 15, President Johnson called for Congress to pass legislation defending Americans’ right to vote. "There is no constitutional issue here,” he told them. “The command of the Constitution is plain. There is no moral issue. It is wrong—deadly wrong—to deny any of your fellow Americans the right to vote in this country. There is no issue of states' rights or national rights. There is only the struggle for human rights." Congress passed the measure. And on this day in 1965, Johnson signed the Voting Rights Act into law.

    “Today is a triumph for freedom as huge as any victory that has ever been won on any battlefield,” he told the country. “I pledge [to] you that we will not delay, or we will not hesitate, or we will not turn aside until Americans of every race and color and origin in this country have the same right as all others to share in the process of democracy.”

    “[M]en cannot live with a lie and not be stained by it,” he said. “The central fact of American civilization…is that freedom and justice and the dignity of man are not just words to us. We believe in them. Under all the growth and the tumult and abundance, we believe. And so, as long as some among us are oppressed—and we are part of that oppression—it must blunt our faith and sap the strength of our high purpose.”
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

  12. #117
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NorCAL
    Posts
    20,260

    Default Re: Brittney Griner

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    ^^^^^ This ^^^^^

    I would like to see one of them do a weekend in county without turning into a crying snowflake. These are the same yahoo’s that call those arrested for insurrection on Jan 6th as patriots and should not be in jail. Personally I think they are getting off easy I prefer the Head on Pike approach to the legal system.
    without a number 2 pencil... you might swing the lower rack.

    I have been in federal and state prisons. Death row too. Stupid drug offenses are what starts the problem plus being mental. I don't think I'll ever make it to prison but if I do I am sure going to find where you are in the joint so we can play cards and chess when you and i aren't occupied with other things.

    when on my motorcycle ride this weekend - a lot of people were under the influence driving. It was testimony to why so many stupid people find it easy to use drugs when driving as they are conducting their daily affairs. It was another reason maybe not to ride.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 08-08-2022 at 02:02 PM.
    Without friends none of this is possible.

  13. #118
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Farmington, Oregon
    Posts
    20,481

    Default Re: Brittney Griner

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wright View Post
    You absolutely fail to understand the point.

    Our government is moving heaven and earth for one individual, after having essentially ignored others. I don't know about posters here, but I have no resentment for Griner. Why would I resent her?

    What I condemn is favoritism in the application of my government's political power.

    In my book you throw the stack of American passports on the table and note the names and the "crimes." You exert equal treatment in bringing home all of those who have been detained for what we regard as equivalent "crimes" in the foreign state. If anything, you make sure that the exceptional popular concern for the well known individual is also directed to the languishing unknowns in similar circumstance.
    first of all, "heaven and earth"?

    second of all, "essentially ignored others"?

    third of all, exerting more influence to help other americans sentenced to 9 years for carrying personal use prescription drugs sounds like a good idea. got some names? let's make it viral.

    actually, i bet we could find a bunch of them in our own prisons. speaking of "special considerations", wonder what that lineup would look like. a "fair" proportional representation across racial demographics, or would certain types be more likely to appear?

  14. #119
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    41,210

    Default Re: Brittney Griner

    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    without a number 2 pencil... you might swing the lower rack.

    I have been in federal and state prisons. Death row too. Stupid drug offenses are what starts the problem plus being mental. I don't think I'll ever make it to prison but if I do I am sure going to find where you are in the joint so we can play cards and chess when you and i aren't occupied with other things.

    when on my motorcycle ride this weekend - a lot of people were under the influence driving. It was testimony to why so many stupid people find it easy to use drugs when driving as they are conducting their daily affairs. It was another reason maybe not to ride.
    Unlike you I’ve done multiple weekends in county. Here’s a hint don’t get pinched late on a Friday night you are in holding until Monday afternoon. I’ve been in some hard core places a few days in Kearney Correctional Facility just before it was taken over by the state for gross negligence regarding inmates, good time, good times. Or two months in Banning in the middle of the desert where 1,000 pushups a day kept the monsters away and I was even asked to be the “Left Hand” ( enforcer ) for the Woodpile ( whites ) I turned it down and did my time quietly.

    Thankfully I’ve never been inside a foreign prison, although I came close in Mexico a time or two. So I know intimately what its like to be completely stripped of your freedom and at the mercy of the “Politics” and what “Wall Time” is and why you never want it. A week before my arrival in Banning an OG with the “blacks” whistled at a female C/O and got 3 minutes of “Wall Time” where they beat the ****e out of you for 3 minutes and you can’t do anything except take it. Well it seems like the OG’s heart couldn’t handle it and he had a heart attack and died and the two guys that gave the beat down graduated from county misdemeanors to moving to a federal penitentiary with felonies.


    A lot of you sound like old fat guys watching The Deadliest Catch in their underwear on the couch eating Ben & Jerries going “I can do that”
    Last edited by Joe (SoCal); 08-08-2022 at 02:22 PM.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

  15. #120
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Farmington, Oregon
    Posts
    20,481

    Default Re: Brittney Griner

    handwringing over "somebody" getting some extra consideration, because of "who she is".

    as if that doesn't happen every moment of every day at every level of our lives.

    but this particular case of consideration really chaps yer hide.

  16. #121
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    39,346

    Default Re: Brittney Griner

    Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    Not really, Mr. wright. And this thread is quite 'the tell' - so much hate, and if you care to look, all coming from.... our 'conservatives'.

    Not a lot of empathy in you bunch. Pathetic.
    There is certainly a lot of hate here, but I don't see it coming from the people who oppose trading a Merchant of Death for a basketball player with an exaggerated sense of privilege. Where were all these calls for a trade for all the other Americans imprisoned in foreign jails?

    There is a lot of injustice in the world. Just ask the relatives of the men, women and children who will die when the Merchant of Death is released from his prison cell. Where is the sympathy for them?
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

    "Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

  17. #122
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,802

    Default Re: Brittney Griner

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    ^^^^^ This ^^^^^

    I would like to see one of them do a weekend in county without turning into a crying snowflake. These are the same yahoo’s that call those arrested for insurrection on Jan 6th as patriots and should not be in jail. Personally I think they are getting off easy I prefer the Head on Pike approach to the legal system.

    So tell me what is the mildest crime she could have committed to justify her arrest and incarceration? I would like an serious answer from you on this.

  18. #123
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    29,623

    Default Re: Brittney Griner

    Perhaps you don't know - who, exactly, is calling for 'trading 'a Merchant (must be capitalized!) of Death!' for a basketball player? Hmmmm? Do you even know?

    Why (do you imagine) we are even hearing about Griner et al? Do you know?

    And this simplistic 'either/or' you and others here have fabricated - Griner, for the 'M of D' - or someone else, 'more deserving'?

    This is the kind of 'reasoning' we expect from RWW's. I didn't think that was you.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

  19. #124
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    29,623

    Default Re: Brittney Griner

    Quote Originally Posted by Boatbum View Post
    So tell me what is the mildest crime she could have committed to justify her arrest and incarceration? I would like an serious answer from you on this.
    nice troll - but you (and it) aren't worth the time.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

  20. #125
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Saint Helena Island, SC
    Posts
    12,598

    Default Re: Brittney Griner

    Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    therrrrre it is.

    why are we being stingy with help for one particular person?

    well, isn't life unfair. as if there isn't disparity of circumstance, opportunity, and so-called justice applied everyday, everywhere. as if most of us here haven't benefited at one time or another for our "special status", for one thing or another, or even for our whole existence as well-to-do westerners with indoor plumbing. saints excepted, of course.

    that one person's story gains traction in public discourse and another is ignored, that one person has advocates and another has no one, that one person gets a warning and a "have a nice day" while another gets a strip search at gunpoint, that one gets probation and another 10 years for the same crime....on and on and on.

    so what. the field is not level. drop the resentment. see one person at a time. don't demand perfection of others. even if you are feeling perfect yourself, you are not. or, if you are perfect, why the grim set of the jaw, the cold hard heart?
    No I won’t “drop the resentment” of someone whom knowingly broke the law and is lionized while others that did what was required are imprisoned.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

  21. #126
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    39,346

    Default Re: Brittney Griner

    Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    Perhaps you don't know - who, exactly, is calling for 'trading 'a Merchant (must be capitalized!) of Death!' for a basketball player? Hmmmm? Do you even know?

    Why (do you imagine) we are even hearing about Griner et al? Do you know?

    And this simplistic 'either/or' you and others here have fabricated - Griner, for the 'M of D' - or someone else, 'more deserving'?

    This is the kind of 'reasoning' we expect from RWW's. I didn't think that was you.
    George, I'm not even sure you are rational on this point. Many of us believe that the US and the free world is being blackmailed to do something truly despicable in order to undo another unfair thing. I see people complaining that the price is too high and asking "Where was all the concern for others who can't bounce a basketball?" I see you and others calling that hate. I don't get it. We can't even ask the question without you insulting us?

    Griner is a pawn, but she got there by making a series of mistakes. She went to Russia in the middle of a war. She went to Russia when the US is leading the organization of the world in condemnation for Russia's actions. And she broke their draconian laws. Is it such a leap to expect what happened?

    And yes, I will capitalize MERCHANT OF DEATH until you and others recognize that this is what we are talking about.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

    "Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

  22. #127
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,802

    Default Re: Brittney Griner

    Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    nice troll - but you (and it) aren't worth the time.
    Maybe you should just let Joe answer the question. No Troll here. Joe asks serious and reasonable questions, and I'm sure will answer them too. If you think it's a Troll then don't reply, I wasn't really asking you anyway.

  23. #128
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hills of Vermont, USA
    Posts
    45,083

    Default Re: Brittney Griner

    Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    George, I'm not even sure you are rational on this point. Many of us believe that the US and the free world is being blackmailed to do something truly despicable in order to undo another unfair thing. I see people complaining that the price is too high and asking "Where was all the concern for others who can't bounce a basketball?" I see you and others calling that hate. I don't get it. We can't even ask the question without you insulting us?

    Griner is a pawn, but she got there by making a series of mistakes. She went to Russia in the middle of a war. She went to Russia when the US is leading the organization of the world in condemnation for Russia's actions. And she broke their draconian laws. Is it such a leap to expect what happened?

    And yes, I will capitalize MERCHANT OF DEATH until you and others recognize that this is what we are talking about.
    In fairness, she was there before Russia invaded Ukraine.

    A lot a US women play in Russia & have for years.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

  24. #129
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,802

    Default Re: Brittney Griner

    Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    In fairness, she was there before Russia invaded Ukraine.

    A lot a US women play in Russia & have for years.
    BUT she was also there after the State department had advised Americans not to go to Russia and to leave if already there.

  25. #130
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    3,895

    Default Re: Brittney Griner

    Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    first of all, "heaven and earth"?

    second of all, "essentially ignored others"?

    third of all, exerting more influence to help other americans sentenced to 9 years for carrying personal use prescription drugs sounds like a good idea. got some names? let's make it viral.

    actually, i bet we could find a bunch of them in our own prisons. speaking of "special considerations", wonder what that lineup would look like. a "fair" proportional representation across racial demographics, or would certain types be more likely to appear?
    https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/26/polit...sia/index.html

  26. #131
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    3,895

    Default Re: Brittney Griner

    Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    Not really, Mr. wright. And this thread is quite 'the tell' - so much hate, and if you care to look, all coming from.... our 'conservatives'.

    Not a lot of empathy in you bunch. Pathetic.
    https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/26/polit...sia/index.html

  27. #132
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    3,895

    Default Re: Brittney Griner

    Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    Perhaps you don't know - who, exactly, is calling for 'trading 'a Merchant (must be capitalized!) of Death!' for a basketball player? Hmmmm? Do you even know?

    Why (do you imagine) we are even hearing about Griner et al? Do you know?

    And this simplistic 'either/or' you and others here have fabricated - Griner, for the 'M of D' - or someone else, 'more deserving'?

    This is the kind of 'reasoning' we expect from RWW's. I didn't think that was you.
    https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/26/polit...sia/index.html

  28. #133
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,802

    Default Re: Brittney Griner

    George:

    I've been looking at the hate in all of your language here. I think that, if anyone, you are being the Troll. Could you make it more of a conversation and less of a rant against anyone that sees things differently from you.

    Just sayin'

  29. #134
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    39,346

    Default Re: Brittney Griner

    Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    In fairness, she was there before Russia invaded Ukraine.

    A lot a US women play in Russia & have for years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boatbum View Post
    BUT she was also there after the State department had advised Americans not to go to Russia and to leave if already there.
    I think Boatbum is right on this. If nothing else, there is a common sense issue here. If the state department is telling me to get out, I think I'd be getting out.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

    "Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

  30. #135
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Farmington, Oregon
    Posts
    20,481

    Default Re: Brittney Griner

    Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    No I won’t “drop the resentment” of someone whom knowingly broke the law and is lionized while others that did what was required are imprisoned.
    lionized? lol.

    what does brittney griner have to do with the imprisonment of canadian pilots in the dominican republic. why are they connected in your mind.

    why does the imprisonment of those pilots mean "so much for white privilege", and why does that occur to you...on this thread, of all places.

  31. #136
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hills of Vermont, USA
    Posts
    45,083

    Default Re: Brittney Griner

    Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    I think Boatbum is right on this. If nothing else, there is a common sense issue here. If the state department is telling me to get out, I think I'd be getting out.
    I'd probably go too - however she may have had a contract.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

  32. #137
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,802

    Default Re: Brittney Griner

    Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    I'd probably go too - however she may have had a contract.
    Hard to imagine a contract that is binding in instances where the state department is saying "get out". And even if so, which is less bad: Being in a country that is at war and hostile to the US or being sued for breach of contract? More likely she wanted the very high payout and was not terribly concerned about something as seemingly minor as 8 vials of Hash oil for her vape.

  33. #138
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hills of Vermont, USA
    Posts
    45,083

    Default Re: Brittney Griner

    Quote Originally Posted by Boatbum View Post
    Hard to imagine a contract that is binding in instances where the state department is saying "get out". And even if so, which is less bad: Being in a country that is at war and hostile to the US or being sued for breach of contract? More likely she wanted the very high payout and was not terribly concerned about something as seemingly minor as 8 vials of Hash oil for her vape.
    I've already said she was stupid to carry the hash oil in Russia. She is by no means the first (or last I'm sure) to spend time in a foreign jail. A friend had 2 years in a Moroccan jail & was never the same after that.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

  34. #139
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Central Coast, Ca
    Posts
    34,872

    Default Re: Brittney Griner

    A few bad apples sure has tainted your view of how we train future leaders
    Just "a few"? I certainly don't want any of them as "leaders"
    "Confidential files on suspected pedophiles maintained by the Boy Scouts of America contain the names of 7,800 individuals"

    And how many victims, maybe 12,000?
    https://www.foxnews.com/us/boy-scout...hiles-attorney

    I didn't have the same experience with Boy Scouts that you did, of that I am sure.

    Those victims may suffer "pain" that you have no concept of. If Something as simple as THC helps them to forget for a time this bit of torture, who are we to deprive them of that relief?

    I know nothing of this basketball player except she really screwed up (yes that happens) and it is unfortunate that Putin will be able to play her for his merchant of death.
    Hopefully we can claim more than one of Putin's incarcerated Americans as trading material in this deal.




  35. #140
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    39,346

    Default Re: Brittney Griner

    Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    I'd probably go too - however she may have had a contract.
    Interesting point. I think I'd still leave and face the consequences. If not, all the more reason to be squeaky clean while I'm there.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

    "Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •