Page 1 of 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Brittney Griner

Default Brittney Griner

Can’t help but wonder if our offer of a prisoner swap contributed to her conviction. If they had found her not guilty, they would have lost their trading stock for their arms dealer.

Default Re: Brittney Griner

Suspect not; convicting/holding her was valuable to vlad, regardless the potential for a swap.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

You bet. And she was guilty. And made a really dumb move.

From what the news reports are saying, conviction in a Russian court is 99% guaranteed, irrespective of any prospective prisoner swaps.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Yup. Think you might've under-estimated it, though.....

There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

I have more TCH Vapes in my junk draw than in all of Russia.

That said everyone of my right wing nut friends are LOCK HER UP. She broke Russian law and she HATES America because she took a knee. You can’t make this ****e up
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

^ I honestly hope that Biden publicly shames her for her stupidity and sense of privilege. She doesn't deserve to do time in a Russian jail, but if we give back that Merchant of Death in exchange for her, then it's a bad deal for the rest of humanity. So let her run up and down the court, bouncing her ball, but people are going to die because of her.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Any idea why Griner - and many other WNBA players - choose to play overseas, in russia?

Take a peek.

Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    Any idea why Griner - and many other WNBA players - choose to play overseas, in russia?

Take a peek.
    It pays well.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post

Take a peek.

MONEY $$$$$$

The WNBA payers SH*TE so many WNBA and semi pro basketball players make 2/3’s of their income playing exhibition games in Russia and Dubai but with draconian drug and civil rights laws just so they can make 1/2 of what their NBA counterparts make.

Back in the soviet days a coworker and her husband went on a package tour that included Moscow. Her husband had packed a six pack of Bic lighters and a carton of Marlboros. They were isolated and questioned for almost six hours.
    The tour guide called somebody in the know and it was resolved by offering the interrogater the cigs as a gift. He accepted with thanks, and they were released.
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    MONEY $$$$$$

The WNBA payers SH*TE so many WNBA and semi pro basketball players make 2/3’s of their income playing exhibition games in Russia and Dubai but with draconian drug and civil rights laws just so they can make 1/2 of what their NBA counterparts make.
    Keep in mind that the WNBA doesn't have the income that men's pro ball has. I have yet to see if they are paid a similar fraction of the league's income as the men.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

9 years for two vape cartridges!
    stupid stupid girl for bringing them in. But that's a harsh lesson. It is clearly not a saleable quantity, she's obviously not a drug dealer, and she would have had testimony from her doctor.

very harsh. 9 years cause the US supplied HIMARS. Poor thing, I feel sorry for her. But freaking stupid thing to have done.

I've been warning my kids about stupid things like this for years. Especially through Asia where potentially, there's a death sentence for hard drugs.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Pay attention to the laws of a country you plan to visit. It sucks whether she serves the time or get exchanged for the arms dealer (which will likely contribute to the deaths of others), but it’s totally on her either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Decourcy View Post
    Pay attention to the laws of a country you plan to visit. It sucks whether she serves the time or get exchanged for the arms dealer (which will likely contribute to the deaths of others), but it’s totally on her either way.
    OMG THIS bull****e again

Her coach, her agent, and her trip organizer should have gone through her itinerary, luggage and worked with her to ensure EVERY exhibition country she played in laws and luggage was suitable for the country she played in. I'm sure if she had the same THC vape, or a sex toys in Dubai or a 5th of vodka in Dubai would be possibly met with a similar fashion. Although it would probably have been sorted out at the airport and she would be on her way. THIS WAS 100% POLITICALLY MOTIVATED FULL STOP !

The same people that are like OMG let Djokovic be able to play in any country if he chooses not to be vacinated are the same people that say Griner should obay the laws of other countries - Hypocrisy much.

OMG THIS bull****e again

Her coach, her agent, and her trip organizer should have gone through her itinerary, luggage and worked with her to ensure EVERY exhibition country she played in laws and luggage was suitable for the country she played in. I'm sure if she had the same THC vape, or a sex toys in Dubai or a 5th of vodka in Dubai would be possibly met with a similar fashion. Although it would probably have been sorted out at the airport and she would be on her way. THIS WAS 100% POLITICALLY MOTIVATED FULL STOP !

The same people that are like OMG let Djokovic be able to play in any country if he chooses not to be vacinated are the same people that say Griner should obay the laws of other countries - Hypocrisy much.
    Coming from the guy that complains about assholes, while being one.

Personal actions equal personal consequences. She’s an adult. If she didn’t pack her own bags she should have had people who paid attention to what was in the bags. If she don’t, it’s on her.

Last paragraph is projection

We have Americans trying to cross the border with their handguns because they can’t be bothered to consider that other countries have different laws. If caught at the border, they get turned around or the guns are confiscated. If they sneak them in and get caught, it’s legal charges. Again, personal action equals personal consequences.
    This is same-same. Stuff like this happens all the time around the world. The only reason most people care is because she’s a sports star.

We have Americans trying to cross the border with their handguns because they can’t be bothered to consider that other countries have different laws. If caught at the border, they get turned around or the guns are confiscated. If they sneak them in and get caught, it’s legal charges. Again, personal action equals personal consequences.
    This is same-same. Stuff like this happens all the time around the world. The only reason most people care is because she’s a sports star.
    OY this = that argument

We have people from pro gun states going to NYC to the 9/11 memorial asking where they can store there handguns that they brought. NYC has a ZERO TOLERANCE gun law. Yet these people go through a little police hassle and then explained to them their ignorance. They are not thrown in to Rikers island detention center for the minimum 5 year sentence for possessing a handgun in NYC. COME ON you are making it sound like Griner was in the movie Midnight Run.

We had a famous case of two men arrested in China as a consequence of our arresting a woman for your country. While I said it was bull**** that they were arrested, I also said that going to a country like China (or Russia, or many others) carries a risk as they don’t follow rule of law. So the person arrested bears some responsibility for simply being there. Admitting to breaking one of their laws is another level of responsibility on top. As others have said, try “forgetting” a gram of cocaine in your carry-on bag on a flight to Singapore and see how that plays out. In fact, since hard drugs in small levels have been de-criminalizes in BC, it’s possible that it will happen. Big oops.

How about we pay WNBA players less than 1/3 of what we pay their male counterparts so they don't have to risk their freedom to play in totalitarian restrictive countries just so they can pay their rent. This wasn't a gram of coke, this was a medically prescribed cannabis vape pen that was completely legal in her departure airport.

AGAIN THIS WAS 100% POLITICALLY MOTIVATED FULL STOP !

We had a famous case of two men arrested in China as a consequence of our arresting a woman for your country. While I said it was bull**** that they were arrested, I also said that going to a country like China (or Russia, or many others) carries a risk as they don’t follow rule of law. So the person arrested bears some responsibility for simply being there. Admitting to breaking one of their laws is another level of responsibility on top. As others have said, try “forgetting” a gram of cocaine in your carry-on bag on a flight to Singapore and see how that plays out. In fact, since hard drugs in small levels have been de-criminalizes in BC, it’s possible that it will happen. Big oops.
    What about this guy ? He stole a poster ..... a FOOKING POSTER !!!!!! He deserved to die in a vegetative state ?

Otto Frederick Warmbier was an American college student who was imprisoned in North Korea in 2016 on a charge of subversion. In June 2017, he was released by North Korea in a vegetative state and died soon afterward. Warmbier entered North Korea as part of a guided tour group on December 29, 2015.

Last edited by Joe (SoCal); 08-04-2022 at 07:24 PM.

Was it politically motivated? Of course. Was she stoopid to carry any THC product in Russia? Same answer.

Back in the late 60's my cousin had a contest with his brother (who was in the Navy) on who could get the most passport stamps. He was in Norway on business & realized he was just a couple of miles from the Russian border. Aha - my bro in the Navy will never get a Russian stamp!

He walked though the woods to a border crossing (this was boondocks) but missed it & was found by Russian border patrol. He was about 1000 ft. over the border in the middle of nowhere. He, after 6 months in jail, was sentenced to 10 years in Siberia. While traveling on the train to the camp he had his throat slit & died. When his folks got his body back, most of his neck had been removed "for the autopsy". Yeah right.

Anyway, Russia has been a nasty country for a long time & knowingly breaking the law there is really dumb.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

i don't get the heavy dose of moralizing.

what griner did was the mental error equivalent of forgetting a folding knife in your travel bag and having it confiscated. nine years in gulag for that?

how many years for backfeeding your household panel from a generator?

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post

what griner did was the mental error equivalent of forgetting a folding knife in your travel bag and having it confiscated. nine years in gulag for that?

While I agree on the moralizing, Russia ain't the US & (as I mentioned) has gone over the top in the past. Especially now with Putin looking for leverage - it's very different from what happens here - though tell that to my friend who got 10 years for "saleable quantity" of LSD & the guy in the next cell got 7 for rape.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Since it’s not illegal here, zero. If it was illegal, whatever that law determines is the punishment. See how that works? No, probably not.
    Funny, you commenting on moralizing.

I get it now!

You're one of those yanks that thinks American culture and laws are universal…..,.

I'm less than ambivalent about this.
    She was off on a gig, most likely a very well paying one, in a foreign country and carried drugs into the country? Russia?
    She's not playing with same deck most of us are, and or she is feeling so privileged that it's okey dokey?
    Now we are going to give up a really nasty arms dealer that imperils the lives of US citizens so she can have her get out of jail card.
    I'm sorry for her, but not sympathetic. People are going to die because of this.

She screwed up. Not anyone else. Does she deserve 9 years in prison for a bit of THC, of course not. She deserves the normal amount of representation as any other US citizen from the embassy, consulate, State Department, etc.

Blaming the lack of fan support for the WNBA makes no sense. The WNBA isn't popular and runs a deficit every year.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”― Mark Twain,

...it’s on her.
    Doing it and getting a smack on the hand is on her.
    9 years is on HIMARS.

Since it’s not illegal here, zero...
    maybe, but it's not legal everywhere. what if you forgot that your suicide cord was in your carry on?

naw, the point i'm making is, what moral universe do you live in? is it one where the consequences--out of your control--that cascade from every mistake you make, are "on you", or is it the universe where the guy who gets traded in a prisoner exchange is responsible for his own actions?

if some young father is reading the internet and sees a capable timber framer and man of the woods talking about backfeeding his panel, so he makes a cord, backfeeds his panel, and when the power comes back on, before flipping the main breaker, yells at his 10 y.o. son to "unplug the cord from the genny", and the kid pulls the plug from the generator, not the outlet, and the father flips the breaker and kills his son...is that "on you", decourcy? or is the other party in a prisoner exchange responsible for his own actions?

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    Doing it and getting a smack on the hand is on her.
    9 years is on HIMARS.
    Russia is not a democracy and doesn’t follow rule of law. She chose to go there, transporting an illegal substance. Can you demonstrate that a smack on the hand is the normal consequence for a drug offence in Russia?

maybe, but it's not legal everywhere. what if you forgot that your suicide cord was in your carry on?

naw, the point i'm making is, what moral universe do you live in? is it one where the consequences--out of your control--that cascade from every mistake you make, are "on you", or is it the universe where the guy who gets traded in a prisoner exchange is responsible for his own actions?

if some young father is reading the internet and sees a capable timber framer and man of the woods talking about backfeeding his panel, so he makes a cord, backfeeds his panel, and when the power comes back on, before flipping the main breaker, yells at his 10 y.o. son to "unplug the cord from the genny", and the kid pulls the plug from the generator, not the outlet, and the father flips the breaker and kills his son...is that "on you", decourcy? or is the other party in a prisoner exchange responsible for his own actions?
    Consequences are always the responsibility of the one doing the action. Ignorance of consequences is no excuse. Watching a YouTube tube video of a speeding motorcycle does not make the person on that video guilty of an accident caused by someone who chooses to emulate.
    In you’re example, it’s on the dad because he gave his son a responsibility beyond his capability, and put him in a position of danger. No different than giving a 10 year old the car keys and saying “go for it”. After all, they read a book of a farm kid driving only the night before.

I have stated, and believe, that violence in movies and pop culture influences violence in real life. But that doesn’t mean that I would excuse the actions of, for instance, a mass shooter who blamed it on a movie he watched.
    Nope, it’s on him.

And in the case of transporting drugs to a country that has laws banning them, it’s on her.

Oh, and if I transported my “suicide cord” to a locale that had them as banned items and got thrown in jail for it, I wouldn’t be happy about it, but I sure as **** wouldn’t blame anyone but myself.

Secondary btw:
    Yesterday I was cruising down the highway on my bike, at a nice 150-160. Limit is 110, but traffic was moving fast. If I got caught, I would have been ticketed and was ready for that. I certainly wouldn’t have said “but it’s legal on the autobahn”. That wouldn’t have helped me, even if I had been German, even if I was riding a bmw.
    Last edited by Decourcy; 08-04-2022 at 11:34 PM.

How about we pay WNBA players less than 1/3 of what we pay their male counterparts so they don't have to risk their freedom to play in totalitarian restrictive countries just so they can pay their rent. This wasn't a gram of coke, this was a medically prescribed cannabis vape pen that was completely legal in her departure airport.

AGAIN THIS WAS 100% POLITICALLY MOTIVATED FULL STOP !
    1/3? Think again

the average 2020 NBA salary is $7.7 million. That’s up from $6.4 million in 2019. The average WNBA player makes $120,648 a year in 2020. That’s less than an eighth of what an NBA rookie makes ($820,000) on average.
    WNBA rookies start at 72k IF they are first round picks, it goes down after that.

Griner arrived in Russia on February 17 to play for the UMMC Ekaterinburg, a Russian basketball team, during the WNBA OFF-SEASON

Russia is not a democracy and doesn’t follow rule of law. She chose to go there, transporting an illegal substance. Can you demonstrate that a smack on the hand is the normal consequence for a drug offence in Russia?
    Not really, but quick Google shows this up;

possession without intent to supply in amounts exceeding 0.5 grams for heroin, opium or desomorphine is considered a crime and is punished by incarceration for up to three years
    (Hard drugs!)

https://www.drugpolicyfacts.org/node...%20years%2027.

ok.

i guess i am surprised by the weight of judgment being levied on ms. griner, for what is an infraction, not a moral wrong.

i am grateful that my own infractions in life have not cost me years in a russian prison. i could not possibly throw any stones at ms. griner for her mistake. and i'm frankly surprised that any older men of action and accomplishment could so so either. i had no idea i was in the company of so many saints.