Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast

Thread: Brittney Griner

Default Re: Brittney Griner

When I went to Canada this summer, I did some research on whether my pocket knife would be allowed. I knew it was fine in the US, but I also knew that I did not know diddley about Canada's laws.

Quote Originally Posted by David W Pratt View Post
    When I went to Canada this summer, I did some research on whether my pocket knife would be allowed. I knew it was fine in the US, but I also knew that I did not know diddley about Canada's laws.
    Doing due diligence is always the smart thing.

I can legally transport guns to the US to go shooting at events, but not all of our guns are legal in the US and some I have would be confiscated if I crossed the border. And I would face charges. I know which ones not to bring.

Quote Originally Posted by Decourcy View Post

I can legally transport guns to the US to go shooting at events, but not all of our guns are legal in the US and some I have would be confiscated if I crossed the border. And I would face charges. I know which ones not to bring.
    In the US it pays to know the state laws well. You can't even drive through New Jersey with hollow point rounds - not even if you are a LEO from another state.

What sort of guns are legal in Canada,but not the US?
    Cooey .22 single shot?
    "Sorry sir. Not enough rounds or firepower."
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

the NorincoM305 for one. A magazine loaded military rifle

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Williamson View Post
    What sort of guns are legal in Canada,but not the US?
    Cooey .22 single shot?
    "Sorry sir. Not enough rounds or firepower."
    R
    My norinco CQ ar knockoff, my norinco t-97 for another, along with several pistols both norinco and other. There are other “black” rifles which were imported here, but not into the US. Sometimes there are bans or tariffs.

Sleep with one eye open.

She knew what she was doing and she thought she was above Russian and international law. Her comfort level and willingness to spin the events and lie about it is noteworthy. Getting her proxies here to wind it up in the media because the Ukrainian war makes her look even worse. Trading her for known Russian death dealers set a bad precedent. This will come back to harm the US and its allies later.

There are dozens of drug users stuck in south east asian prison cells because of stupid drug stuff like this - what makes her special to come home when they can not?
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 08-05-2022 at 06:53 PM.
    Without friends none of this is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Williamson View Post

Im typing this on an iPhone. I feel worse about that than my norinco’s

Griner is in jail so that Putin can mess with people like us. It's working. He's got at least one of us saying our fellow Americans should go to jail for 9 years for nothing, and the others saying that is not right.

When Putin murders people, jails them, tortures them, and poisons them, its not their fault. It's Putin, he likes murder and oppression.

Griner was unlucky, not foolish. Anyone saying otherwise really does not understand Putin.

And yes, Putin grabbed her in part because she is a black lesbian. It's a perfect way to get certain Americans to fight other Americans. I think there is a fair chance he will get at least a few murders out of this and he will be laughing his ass off at every American who hurts or kills another American over this.

Hell just reading this thread would help convince him he is winning in Ukraine and get him to kill another dozen children. Foolish children dumb enough to have been born in Ukraine.
    Yachting, the only sport where you get to be a mechanic, electrician, plumber and carpenter

thought experiments? lol.

here's a thought experiment for you, decourcy.

which of these two people should be held to account for their behavior; brittney griner....or kyle rittenhouse.

take your time, old chap.

Quote Originally Posted by leikec View Post
    So your idea of a “thought” experiment is to change a situation into something it isn’t—as a foundational basis for even more moralizing?

Have fun with that.

Jeff C
    It might just be that if it was Hells Angel they would treat him very differently, and I certain he would have better representation.

A Hells Angel would never travel anywhere while committing a crime and not know which crime it was.
    But yes it is a very different scenario with little equivalence

8C7DCA26-4736-4045-BCBD-9D6B09539476.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    thought experiments? lol.

here's a thought experiment for you, decourcy.

which of these two people should be held to account for their behavior; brittney griner....or kyle rittenhouse.

take your time, old chap.
    One broke a law, one didn’t, old boy.

But here’s one in return. Someone swings a 2by4 at your head intending to do you harm and you swing the framing hammer in your hand in defence and you kill him. Are you guilty old boy?
    Last edited by Decourcy; 08-05-2022 at 10:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hunter View Post
    Griner is in jail so that Putin can mess with people like us. It's working. He's got at least one of us saying our fellow Americans should go to jail for 9 years for nothing, and the others saying that is not right.

When Putin murders people, jails them, tortures them, and poisons them, its not their fault. It's Putin, he likes murder and oppression.

Griner was unlucky, not foolish. Anyone saying otherwise really does not understand Putin.

And yes, Putin grabbed her in part because she is a black lesbian. It's a perfect way to get certain Americans to fight other Americans. I think there is a fair chance he will get at least a few murders out of this and he will be laughing his ass off at every American who hurts or kills another American over this.

Hell just reading this thread would help convince him he is winning in Ukraine and get him to kill another dozen children. Foolish children dumb enough to have been born in Ukraine.
    There are thousands of people on jail in Russia for exactly the same crime. This wasn’t created for BG. And to say it’s 9 years for nothing is blind. Other countries other laws. Good luck with your attitude if you travel.

Not sure how packing drugs into a bag and flying to a zero drug tolerance country is unlucky rather than foolish, but I guess your reality is different than mine.
    Last edited by Decourcy; 08-05-2022 at 10:19 PM.

Again, there seem to be quite a few here that think that whatever changing laws presently apply in the US should be universal. I hate to break it to you, but other countries don’t care what you think.

One broke a law, one didn’t, old boy.
    is that the sum of your wisdom, after 50, 60 years on the planet?

you might have taken more time, old son.

the law is an ass. the law is a tool. made, and used, by people, to control other people.

do we need law? of course, society needs ordering.

but let's not confuse what is legal with what is right, what is illegal with what is wrong.

discernment is required.

if you, or i, abdicate discernment, who will do the thinking? who will decide that the law has run amok, and needs amending, or resisting, or deploring?

"the law's the law" is the refrain of the servant, not the master.

is that the sum of your wisdom, after 50, 60 years on the planet?

you might have taken more time, old son.

the law is an ass. the law is a tool. made, and used, by people, to control other people.

do we need law? of course, society needs ordering.

but let's not confuse what is legal with what is right, what is illegal with what is wrong.

discernment is required.

if you, or i, abdicate discernment, who will do the thinking? who will decide that the law has run amok, and needs amending, or resisting, or deploring?

"the law's the law" is the refrain of the servant, not the master.
    I have no issue with those that oppose unjust laws. I’m just not surprised when laws smack people on the ass when they do. Some of the best people I know spent time in prison for fighting unjust laws.

Now, is that what BG was doing? Protesting unjust law? Nope. She was just a foolish young woman travelling to a place she’s travelled to for 7 years. I’m gonna guess this isn’t the first time she’s travelled with, or used, drugs in Russia. This time she was caught. Is she a martyr for pot rights? Nope. She was just foolish.
    She’s just like the thousands of other users in jail there.

You want to end pot laws in Russia? Good luck with that.

I did a little reading recently on differences in law in various “developed” countries. Did you know that the age of consent is 13 in Japan? Perhaps there’s a man sitting on a forum in Japan right now, shaking his head that someone went to jail in the US for consensual sex with a 13 year old. But the US gets to determine its own moral values, and write laws that they see as appropriate. And so does every other country.
    It’s not long ago that pot possessing would have landed BG in jail in the US as well. Your moral values and laws changed. Perhaps Russia will change as well, but perhaps not. And that is their right to self determine.
    Last edited by Decourcy; 08-05-2022 at 11:02 PM.

I don't think that anyone can credibly deny that Putin is taking a hostage to get what they want. It's what people of no moral code do. Whether it would have happened if she had not handed them a golden opportunity is difficult to say.

They will succeed because we warned our citizens not to go and she went. She violated their law. Now we will exchange a ball player for a mass murder and Putin will do it again.

We are rewarding him because a foolish ball player is more important to us than a mass murder.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

^ But even those nice Canadians do this sort of thing.
    Remember that Chinese Huawei exec detained for three years at the request of the US, for doing what, exactly?
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-58690974

Get yourself in this position by giving them an excuse, you're a pawn in a much bigger game.

Pete
    The Ignore feature, lowering blood pressure since 1862. Ahhhhhhh.

She was under house arrest with an ankle bracelet and curfew.

Not quite the same.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

#91 is a solid answer to my post #90, which frankly veered off the track i started on.

what i meant in #85 by "held to account" is not in the legal sense at all.

i agree that griner will be forced to pay a legal price for being found guilty, and rittenhouse does not, for having been found not guilty. that is how the law functions, as it must. which reality illustrates perfectly that in its function the law does not always or even commonly determine who is in the right or wrong, in a moral sense.

so, i protest against the notion that, should griner be part of a prisoner swap, the moral weight of whatever results is "on her" because of her mistake, that her breaking of a rule makes her morally responsible for killing people, because of the accident of which rule she broke and where.

on the other hand, regardless of being found not guilty, rittenhouse does bear the moral weight of taking a gun to riot and shooting three people.

i don't get the heavy dose of moralizing.

what griner did was the mental error equivalent of forgetting a folding knife in your travel bag and having it confiscated. nine years in gulag for that?

how many years for backfeeding your household panel from a generator?
    The sentence is the political part of this.
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

I have a student who is an American citizen, but her father is Russian born. She likes to go there once a year to spend time with her relatives and practice her language skills.

She didn't go this year because it's foolish for an American citizen to go to Russia when we are fighting a proxy war through Ukraine. Everyone gets that. Why didn't Griner? If they do go, then they are compulsive about obeying the law while they are there. Why didn't Griner? Everyone is disturbed that a Merchant of Death will be freed so that she can come home. Is Griner?
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    The sentence is the political part of this.
    ERrm, No, seemingly not.
    The sentencing of WNBA star Brittney Griner to nine years behind bars and a fine of 1 million rubles – between US$10,000 and $20,000 depending on the exchange rate – should come as no surprise to those familiar with Russian law.
    The country has long enforced strict drug laws and has a well-deserved reputation for zero-tolerance jurisdiction.
    Indeed, the crime Griner was prosecuted of – smuggling narcotics in “significant amount” in violation of Article 229¹(2)(c) of the Russian criminal code – carries a minimum sentence of five to 10 years “deprivation of freedom” along with the fine, and the upper end of the spectrum seems to be common. The prosecutor in Griner’s case asked for 9 ½ years and, presumably, the maximum fine. He got most of what he wanted.
    https://theconversation.com/brittney...urtroom-188271
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    I have a student who is an American citizen, but her father is Russian born. She likes to go there once a year to spend time with her relatives and practice her language skills.

She didn't go this year because it's foolish for an American citizen to go to Russia when we are fighting a proxy war through Ukraine. Everyone gets that. Why didn't Griner? If they do go, then they are compulsive about obeying the law while they are there. Why didn't Griner? Everyone is disturbed that a Merchant of Death will be freed so that she can come home. Is Griner?
    You keep making sense in this thread while others try to apply domestic legal arguments and justifications based on personal preference for illicit (formerly illicit) drug use.

Lets put it straight - she is a minor celebrity who was making money in Russia while they were in and enlarging a global conflict that involved a border war. she should never gone to Russia or remained there due to that. She knew it was going to be hostile at some point. When the war broke out she knew she should leave. Then she thought she was above the law with knowingly passing a noticeable amount of illegal drugs through a security screening. She needs to do her time. trading a death dealer for this foolish woman who knowing has lied and manipulated to avoid her wrong doing is so messed up.

This is a clear example of the hypocrisy in the forum and how the liberal spin will defend the undefendable.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 08-06-2022 at 09:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    You keep making sense in this thread while others try to apply domestic legal arguments and justifications based on personal preference for illicit (formerly illicit) drug use.

Lets put it straight - she is a minor celebrity who was making money in Russia while they were in and enlarging a global conflict that involved a border war. she should never gone to Russia or remained there due to that. She knew it was going to be hostile at some point. When the war broke out she knew she should leave. Then she thought she was above the law with knowingly passing a noticeable amount of illegal drugs through a security screening. She needs to do her time. trading a death dealer for this foolish woman who knowing has lied and manipulated to avoid her wrong doing is so messed up.

This is a clear example of the hypocrisy in the forum and how the liberal spin will defend the undefendable.
    Said by an old strait white guy whose never done a day in an American jail never mind a 10 years of hard labor in Russian prison. Must be nice passing judgement on 10 years of hard labor from the comfort of your air conditioned home

Yeah do the crime do the time make big rocks into smaller rocks for TEN YEARS eh tough guy !!!!!!
    Last edited by Joe (SoCal); 08-06-2022 at 02:45 PM.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

If I were a praying man I would pray that she gets swapped out of there. This world is such a heartbreaking place sometimes.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    If I were a praying man I would pray that she gets swapped out of there. This world is such a heartbreaking place sometimes.

Ok, that’s fine, but as others have said, “why her”. There are after all other Americans detained around the world. Something over 60 in fact. Some in much worse conditions. But for a sports star…..heaven and earth will be moved. I’m a fan of equality and I dislike preferential treatment based on fame.

Ok, that’s fine, but as others have said, “why her”. There are after all other Americans detained around the world. Something over 60 in fact. Some in much worse conditions. But for a sports star…..heaven and earth will be moved. I’m a fan of equality and I dislike preferential treatment based on fame.
    Because she's the one I've heard of. I'd do the same for the other 60.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

He isn't wrong.

Elon Musk Makes Opinion On Brittney Griner Situation Very Clear

After a lengthy detention stay, WNBA star Brittney Griner was found guilty of drug possession and smuggling by a Russian court on Thursday and sentenced to nine years in prison.

President Joe Biden has vowed that he'll do everything in his power to get the Phoenix Mercury center home safely, but Tesla CEO and billionaire Elon Musk questioned whether the commander-in-chief and his administration will actually get it done.

Asking during an appearance on the "Full Send" podcast:

If the president is working so hard to free someone who is in jail in Russia for some weed, shouldn’t we free people in America? ... There are people in jail in America for the same stuff. Shouldn’t we free them too? My opinion is that people should not be in jail for non-violent drug crimes.

The U.S. State Department has classified Griner's case as a "wrongful detention" and has reportedly looked into possible prisoner swaps to bring the seven-time All-star back to America.

However, there's no clear timetable as to if/when that could take place.
    Elon Musk Makes Opinion On Brittney Griner Situation Very Clear (msn.com)

Good thing for her she wasn’t caught with her dope in Singapore. And yes they consider CBD oil the same as cannabis.

It is an offence for citizens and Singapore Permanent Residents to consume drugs in Singapore and overseas. Consumption of a controlled drug (e.g. 'Ice', heroin and cannabis) is an offence and a person will face imprisonment of a minimum of 1 year and up to 10 years, or a fine not exceeding S$20,000, or both.

Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    Said by an old strait white guy whose never done a day in an American jail never mind a 10 years of hard labor in Russian prison. Must be nice passing judgement on 10 years of hard labor from the comfort of your air conditioned home

Yeah do the crime do the time make big rocks into smaller rocks for TEN YEARS eh tough guy !!!!!!
    You are right. I am a F'ing Boy Scout if you did not know already. I never have done anything that intentionally broke international law and have only been detained on traffic violations and only paid fines. I still carry a DOD top security clearance. I do not cheat on my taxes, beat my wife or drink and drive and do little if at all drugs. That drug crap is undefendable when in a foreign country.

As a kid growing up in Panama I could have been arrested for wearing sneakers on the street because it was considered an aid to a crime (running away). So I wore leather soles shoes or went barefoot. also I witnessed people being picked up and beaten for smoking weed in public. I had more than a few friends beaten with rubber hoses and detained for weeks for stupid drug crap. That was not going to happen to me. I have travelled to over 60 countries and never in a million years would I knowingly transport drugs. I even consider it when carrying over the counter ones from here.

Any application of personal rights you may have here does not transfer to a foreign country. Heck the Canadians don't want Americans who have been arrested for drunk driving in their country. They aren't screaming to change that laws.

asking for special status for her is a joke. Arguing for it is weakass.

Defending this idiot who intentionally broke the law and proved to lie about it until it was revealed in video... Let her break rocks.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 08-08-2022 at 10:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post

You are completely glossing over the relevant facts. So how serious of a crime must one commit before you think the consequence is a just one. You need to know and respect the laws of any country you enter. Many complacent Americans have gotten themselves into similar trouble because they forgot this.

So tell me what is the mildest crime she could have committed to justify her arrest and incarceration? I would like an serious answer from you on this.

Well as long as we are discussing people held in foreign prisons have any of you heard about the Canadian pilots being held in the Dominican Republic?
    @ 3 months ago when preparing for departure they discovered unusual objects on the jet. They reported it to security. Turned out to be drugs. A LOT of drugs.
    Instead of being commended for doing their job they were instead imprisoned.

Yet the Canadian government hasn’t done much on their behalf. Canadiens continue to vacation in the DR. The pilots lives have been repeatedly threatened.
    Do we hear an outcry for them? No, of course not. They are straight, white males. They aren’t celebrities.
    So much for white privilege huh?

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...found-on-plane
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

At least she doesn't have to hear the national anthem!
    Nothing else matters but how I raise my children ... and their opinion of me, as a father.