Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Beers by State

Default Best Beers by State

David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Default Re: Best Beers by State

oh lord too many

I expect 'most' would disagree with the Nebr. selection. Zipline is generally regarded as pack-leader.

But.... YMMV
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Hard disagree. Fuzzy Baby Ducks isn't even the best beer by that particular brewery, let alone best-in-state.

Captain's daughter for RI? Joke. I mean come on now.

They might be onto something with The Alchemist in VT, but the author clearly has a hop-skewed palate.
    "Visionary" is he who in every egg sees a carbonara.

We recently hired a junior salesman, and as a "get your feet wet" assignment we tasked him with calling on every single brewery in CT.

Credit where due: he hit 100-something accounts in just over a month.
    That's a lot of beer. We were expecting something in the neighborhood of 20-25.
    "Visionary" is he who in every egg sees a carbonara.

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    We recently hired a junior salesman, and as a "get your feet wet" assignment we tasked him with calling on every single brewery in CT.

Credit where due: he hit 100-something accounts in just over a month.
    That's a lot of beer. We were expecting something in the neighborhood of 20-25.
    I’d need to take notes.

Rueben's Brews? Pilsner?

Not very good.

Try Lantern Brewing's Vippy for a lager. Or their Citranox

https://www.lanternbrewing.com/tap-list

Or Machine House Brewing's Best Bitter.

https://www.machinehousebrewery.com/ales/best-bitter/
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. ó P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Spotted Cow for Wisconsin was a bit predictable. Good, but predictable.

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

The choice for Oregon is a bit of a wild-card also. I've never tried it, so I can't say she's wrong. And it is from a generally excellent brewery. But there are so many excellent beers here, it's hard to imagine that a novelty/specialty brew would be The Best. I may try it, though.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Smuttynose is excellent, but I go for the IPA.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Bellís Two Hearted.

CC801757-C16D-409C-8665-7634DAB88923.jpg

If you can buy it in a state, then itís the best beer in that state.

If you canít buy it in a state, but someone brings one over with them, itís still the best beer in that state.

If you canít buy it in a state, but some one drinks one elsewhere and then hits a urinal in that state, thereís still a good chance that itís the best beer in that state.

I'll have to go with Florida Man double IPA by Cigar City (old nickname for Tampa) brewing. At 8.5% abv it has a decent kick but its not overly hoppy.

From their website.
    "The world needs heroes, and in our home state of Florida only a very special hero will do. A hero with a shark tooth around his neck, a Grim Reaper tattoo on his arm, and a rap sheet longer than his mama’s mustache. A hero who’s forgotten more about amateur taxidermy and alligator rasslin’ than you’ll ever know."

Life is short, play with your cougar.

I approve of the choice of Ohio's best craft beer. I like porter and Great Lakes Brewing Co.'s Edmund Fitzgerald Porter is a good one.

As for the best beer in Kentucky... I fell in love with a brew made by Akasha Brewing Company in Louisville: Fehr's. It will never make a national "best of" list as it is only available in the brewery's taproom. It is the revival of a local pre-prohibition lager. The owners/operators of Akasha Brewing Company tracked down the original recipe and acquired it from a Fehr descendant. Here is what they say about it:

Frank Fehr Brewing Co was one of the largest and most-loved breweries in Louisville. Fehr's XL was the beer of our grandparents, and now we've brought the same crisp flavor into the 21st century.

Frank Fehr began brewing at the Fehr's City brewery in 1872 at what is now Liberty street between Preston and Jackson streets. The Brewery produced 593 barrels of beer the first year and by 1903 had expanded to produce 120,000 barrels of beer. Fehr's XL lager won the southern exposition in from 1883-1888 and was said to be the most widely consumed beer in Louisville. The City Brewery closed in 1964, and the last 7000 barrels of beer were dumped down the drain to avoid paying taxes on the beer.

We've brought back the crisp, clean flavor of Fehr's XL, brewing the beer right here in Louisville using Fehr's pre-prohibition lager recipe.
    Last edited by Tom Montgomery; 08-04-2022 at 03:47 PM.
    "I'll tell you why [religion's] not a scam. In my opinion, all right? Tide goes in, tide goes out. Never a miscommunication. You can't explain that."Bill O'Reilly

I have the last of a four pack of Zombie Dust in the fridge.

It’s good. But there’s several in MI that I’d reach for first.

Typical...a Portland bias in Oregon.

Since its inception Reader's Digest has maintained a conservative and anti-Communist perspective on political and social issues.

Since its inception Reader's Digest has maintained a conservative and anti-Communist perspective on political and social issues.

Eugene, too liberal for RD to even try.

Reader’s Digest? They still exist? Talk about ranging far and wide to get information!

cucumber beer - just say no

Quote Originally Posted by sonofswen View Post
    Typical...a Portland bias in Oregon.

Eugene, too liberal for RD to even try.

What... are you suggesting they make decent beer in OTHER parts of the state??? <G>

Actually, there are a couple of award-winning breweries in my tiny little hometown: Astoria.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by Beowolf View Post
    Excellent ale.
    Founders All Day IPA is very good also.
    But they don't last all day, they keep running out.

That's a bloody horrible list. The author really likes weird stuff in his beer.

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    That's a bloody horrible list. The author really likes weird stuff in his beer.
    You don't LIKE cucumber beer??? <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Minnesota's best beers and best root beer are brewed by August Schell Brewing Co., New Ulm, since 1860. 2nd oldest family owned brewery in the US. Today's trivia question is: What family brewery is older?

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    What... are you suggesting they make decent beer in OTHER parts of the state??? <G>

Actually, there are a couple of award-winning breweries in my tiny little hometown: Astoria.
    buoy beer czech-style pilsner is the one i would choose to represent the state in a taste-off.

i call it "the beeriest of beers".

so effing beer-y.

and if i were picking a 10 barrel brewing beer? cucumber? gtfoh.

their pub beer lager is cheaper by the drop than pabst. it's maybe not the most fascinating beer ever made, but it comes in 18 packs.

Quote Originally Posted by The Ranger View Post
    Minnesota's best beers and best root beer are brewed by August Schell Brewing Co., New Ulm, since 1860. 2nd oldest family owned brewery in the US. Today's trivia question is: What family brewery is older?
    I’d say Yngling, but I don’t know if it’s family owned.

Anchor Liberty Ale, Anchor on tap.

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post

their pub beer lager is cheaper by the drop than pabst. it's maybe not the most fascinating beer ever made, but it comes in 18 packs.
    Their packs of 'Pub Beer,' along with Full Sail's 'Session' are what we keep in the refrigerator at all times. Then a sixer or two of more interesting stuff. Everyday beer, very reasonably priced. What Bud & Coors could and should have been.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

South Australia, Coopers Brewery.

Coopers Extra Strong Vintage Ale
    VINTAGE ALE 22

Each year the Coopers brewing team creates a unique seasonal release. In keeping with its long heritage, the 22nd of Coopersí Vintage brews does its name (and predecessors) justice. While Vintage Ale 2022 can obviously be enjoyed right away, we recommend putting a couple aside for cellaring and savouring at a later date.

Inside the iconic bottle youíll find a naturally conditioned ale that exhibits a well-balanced aroma and flavour, crafted with the finest ingredients including our own Coopers Malt, prime seasonal hops, Huell Melon and El Dorado and of course, our cherished ale yeast.

Coopers Stout
    BEST EXTRA STOUT

Now here's a beer with punch. Coopers Best Extra Stout is a beacon for lovers of a hearty brew. With its robust blend of fruit and chocolate flavours and bitter hop notes, it's everything a stout should be. An all malt brew that's naturally conditioned in the bottle, Coopers Best Extra Stout's unique rich, dark texture comes from our liberal use of specially roasted black malt. No additives. No preservatives.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post

To be honest, an 18 pack of anything would probably last me a month or more, anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Beowolf View Post
    To be honest, an 18 pack of anything would probably last me a month or more, anymore.
    I don't go thru it quickly any more, either. But I have two boys who raid the back refrigerator regularly.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

i have one of those boys, raiding the refrigerator.

one of us is drinking all my beers!

Agree with her on Ohio's Great Lakes Brewing . .

but several of their other beers are regarded as being better than Edumud Fitz porter.

Great Lakes was one of the first to try to make good beer around here, since 1986 or so.

They treat their employees well and now have a million imitators in the region.

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post

yes, and even, of all places, Astoria.

Quote Originally Posted by sonofswen View Post
    yes, and even, of all places, Astoria.
    I also lived in Eugene for 14 years. But that was before Ninkasi, Alesong, Steelhead, et.al.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Yep, Yuengling of Pottsville, PA. They brew a tasty Black and Tan.

When I first started 'collecting' son-in-laws, I made a point of keeping stocked up on beer. Turns out, they will drink til it's gone.

No more.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....