Thread: Travel to France, what is the best SIM card for US iPhone 12?

Default Travel to France, what is the best SIM card for US iPhone 12?

My wife and I are traveling to France soon. We will be hiking part of the GR20 on Corsica. I am interested in getting a SIM card (or eSIM) for about a month so I can call, text and use data while we are on the trip.

I am new to using a SIM card for travel outside the US. Previously I just paid the high daily rate from Verizon.

Google searches offer an array of options, but I would appreciate any advice based on actual experience in using SIM or eSIM on an iPhone 12.

Thanks for any help!

Default Re: Travel to France, what is the best SIM card for US iPhone 12?

With T-Mobile - all the above is free. Pay a small surcharge before you leave if you have a different carrier including Verizon and skip the card swap. It will be cheaper in the end. Decent Wifi is everywhere on the island for bigger uploads.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 08-04-2022 at 12:15 PM.
    Without friends none of this is possible.

You can buy a prepaid SIM chip once you arrive. That gives you a local phone number, so you won't be paying transatlantic phone rates for calling the hotel in the next town.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Reviewing the Verizon rates. Yuck. Why would anyone stick with these folks domestically - higher rates than most and poor service. Their 10 dollar a day international plan is just raping the customer with second tier limited bandwidth, unlimited texts and calls.

Screen Shot 2022-08-04 at 11.39.50 AM.jpg
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 08-04-2022 at 01:40 PM.

Get the Airalo app and get a data plan using the e-sim on your phone. Cheap and easy.

I used both a local sim and Airalo in Greece and found Airalo easier.

You will have to do calls using Skype or WhatsApp but I found it far better than the local sim since the local sim would allow international calling. I had no need for local calls. Get friends/family to download WhatsApp before you go. It’s great for calls and messaging via data.
    Last edited by Tom Wilkinson; 08-04-2022 at 01:42 PM.
    Tom

Just set up Verizon with our international trip to Tuscany this month.

$100 for my phone to be 100% unlimited 100% of the time
    $10 per day to use for Renee’s phone but 0$ if per day she doesn’t use it.
    $10 per day to use for my LTE iPad but 0$ if per day if I don’t use it.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

The world (Europe) is full of great free internet. Messenger, facetime and Whatsapp are super free tools most use. Many like to spend money needlessly. The time change between here and there means most of your calls, texts and forums will be at wifi spots. If you are finding yourself needing to make a paid phone call means you aren't on vacation and the likelihood of anything being resolved at a distance is minimal in the middle of the day in Europe.

Even with the Verizon penalties - it is cheaper usually to go without paying the upgraded temp surcharge. As I said the Internet is free at most places you stay and many of the cafes you will visit. Often the whole town is wired for free.

Every European I met in Portugal and Spain used What’sapp. The didn’t even know what I meant when I said “text.” Instead SMS and they didn’t seem to do it. Bought many sim cards for minutes but never managed to sms the US. Android for that trip.

I second Ted H, switch to T-Mobile, hands down the best option for anywhere in Europe and anywhere in the Caribbean.
    "Unrepentant Reprobate"
    Lew Barrett

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    Just set up Verizon with our international trip to Tuscany this month.

$100 for my phone to be 100% unlimited 100% of the time
    $10 per day to use for Renee’s phone but 0$ if per day she doesn’t use it.
    $10 per day to use for my LTE iPad but 0$ if per day if I don’t use it.

Get the Airalo app Joe. You can get 10gig of data for about 15 bucks. It is worth it. Data is all I used for two months in Greece and it was far cheaper than messing with the Verizon plan.
    Use Skype, messenger, or WhatsApp. WhatsApp is what everyone uses over there.
    Plus you can set it up before you go and be up and running as soon as you land.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/airalo-esim-phone-internet/id1475911720

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tom Wilkinson; 08-04-2022 at 04:57 PM.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    The world (Europe) is full of great free internet. Messenger, facetime and Whatsapp are super free tools most use. Many like to spend money needlessly. The time change between here and there means most of your calls, texts and forums will be at wifi spots. If you are finding yourself needing to make a paid phone call means you aren't on vacation and the likelihood of anything being resolved at a distance is minimal in the middle of the day in Europe.

Even with the Verizon penalties - it is cheaper usually to go without paying the upgraded temp surcharge. As I said the Internet is free at most places you stay and many of the cafes you will visit. Often the whole town is wired for free.
    I have all of those and none of my workers or customers have any of these apps. Also I NEED to be communicable otherwise there is NO WAY I could ever go on any vacation. MY COMPANY WOULD END UNTIL I RETURN FULL STOP !!!.

Paying $100 for 100% unlimited phone and data seems like an absolute no brainer to me.

I have all of those and none of my workers or customers have any of these apps. Also I NEED to be communicable otherwise there is NO WAY I could ever go on any vacation. MY COMPANY WOULD END UNTIL I RETURN FULL STOP !!!.

Paying $100 for 100% unlimited phone and data seems like an absolute no brainer to me.

I cannot find a 100.00 international unlimited plan on Verizons site.
    This is what it shows for me.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wilkinson View Post
    I cannot find a 100.00 international unlimited plan on Verizons site.
    This is what it shows for me.

Thats a personal account setting I have a Corporate Business account completely different set up. I pay $800 a month so you get privileges.

Thanks for the advice and ideas mentioned above. I see pros and cons with using my existing carrier and paying the international daily fee, which for would be $10/day per phone. Compared to buying a SIM card ahead of time or in the airport when we arrive which seems to average about $25 per SIM card for a month of service.

At our age I need to consider familiarity and ease of use. Keeping the same phone number and setup would be easier for my wife. Frankly, this is about safety in case we are separated I want her to be able to call me, or be called by me without complication or stress. I need to take care of my girl!

I still believe you are over paying for what you get. As for Renee - she can use your phone as her hotspot. It will be free for almost everything she may need.

that's too bad you can not be truly free to enjoy your vacation to the fullest. It not optimal to travel on a super vacation with a huge time difference worried about a business and managing staff and clients requests. I understand and struggle with some of that myself. The smart phone is a blessing and a curse in that regard. I long for days where I won't need to carry it everywhere worried I may miss a business call, text or email. More importantly, I have to remind myself to put it away when I am with my wife on vacation - it is the reason we are away together.

on the other hand - when I do my long motorcycle rides in Europe or here for that matter - my habit of checking the phone all the time stops. I am there for total experience and putting it away is glorious. My T-mobile is free to roam for all three services and I use it as my second GPS or to find the last few blocks to my next stay.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 08-05-2022 at 01:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    I still believe you are over paying for what you get. As for Renee - she can use your phone as her hotspot. It will be free for almost everything she may need.

that's too bad you can not be truly free to enjoy your vacation to the fullest. It not optimal to travel on a super vacation with a huge time difference worried about a business and managing staff and clients requests. I understand and struggle with some of that myself. The smart phone is a blessing and a curse in that regard. I long for days where I won't need to carry it everywhere worried I may miss a business call, text or email. More importantly, I have to remind myself to put it away when I am with my wife on vacation - it is the reason we are away together.

on the other hand - when I do my long motorcycle rides in Europe or here for that matter - my habit of checking the phone all the time stops. I am there for total experience and putting it away is glorious. My T-mobile is free to roam for all three services and I use it as my second GPS or to find the last few blocks to my next stay.
    IDFC ( figure it out )

#1 All my Airbnb Plus's have high speed internet / wifi etc. So I know my "limitations" Keep in mind I'm not married to someone that can make that go away so It's my job to keep everything running or we STARVE - folla ?

#2 IDGAF I need my phone 24/7 for work without even thinking about it and $100 sounds extremely cheep to me .
    #3 My laptop will be on wifi but if I need to I can tether my unlimited iPhone data
    #4 My iPad with Verizon LTE is set for $10 a day if I use it, as is Renee's phone. Take note if used everyday for 15 day would be $150 each.

I think I made the right decision
    Last edited by Joe (SoCal); 08-05-2022 at 02:20 AM.

Sorry to piggy-back, but I have similar questions. Will a SIM card bought in Belgium work in Spain? Our need will primarily be navigation, as we'll be doing a fair amount of driving in Spain. Also, we need to be able to send/receive messages from the various AirBNB hosts. We won't be calling or texting anyone else except in emergencies.

Quote Originally Posted by MushCreek View Post
    Sorry to piggy-back, but I have similar questions. Will a SIM card bought in Belgium work in Spain? Our need will primarily be navigation, as we'll be doing a fair amount of driving in Spain. Also, we need to be able to send/receive messages from the various AirBNB hosts. We won't be calling or texting anyone else except in emergencies.

The Airalo app will work for both, though you may need to buy another data package.

Tom

Tom, Thanks for this info. Does this Airalo eSIM app allow you to keep and use all your normal contacts etc?

Quote Originally Posted by timber_cruiser View Post
    Tom, Thanks for this info. Does this Airalo eSIM app allow you to keep and use all your normal contacts etc?

Yes. It basically adds a second line to your phone. You can switch back and forth.
    You do need to make sure e-sim on your phone is available. Sometimes they are locked. A call to your provider to verify is a good idea. Tell them you are traveling internationally and need the e-sim available.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wilkinson View Post
    Yes. It basically adds a second line to your phone. You can switch back and forth.
    You do need to make sure e-sim on your phone is available. Sometimes they are locked. A call to your provider to verify is a good idea. Tell them you are traveling internationally and need the e-sim available.

Thanks, I think I understand now. My iPhone 12 appears to be good to go for use of eSIM or SIM (not locked).

Appreciate your help!

IDFC ( figure it out )

#1 All my Airbnb Plus's have high speed internet / wifi etc. So I know my "limitations" Keep in mind I'm not married to someone that can make that go away so It's my job to keep everything running or we STARVE - folla ?

#2 IDGAF I need my phone 24/7 for work without even thinking about it and $100 sounds extremely cheep to me .
    #3 My laptop will be on wifi but if I need to I can tether my unlimited iPhone data
    #4 My iPad with Verizon LTE is set for $10 a day if I use it, as is Renee's phone. Take note if used everyday for 15 day would be $150 each.

I think I made the right decision
    I know that heat and feel for you. Last October I shlepped 3 computers (serious work laptops), iPad pro, t-mobile hot spot and my phone to France for a month. Worked from 5pm to 2am often working 4 and 5 times a week each week. My 15th century Paris apartment had fiberoptic speed internet (much better than what I pay for business class internet at home). I was able to work and keep my business.

Taking those 2 1/2 weeks off to go to Africa on that great trip in February, I did not bring my work laptops. I lost two important clients as I gave away work to my competition. They have yet to return. On the flip side my US based T-Mobile account worked everywhere there was cellular service with 3g and was free except for Zambia where it was .25 a call per minute with a roaming charge.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 08-05-2022 at 11:20 AM.

I would check with the hughesnet here if they have something to offer.
    I used their services in 2018 when we had our big trip around Asia. Visited 6 countries in total, many and many cities, villages and islands and the connection was more or less good everywhere. Maybe not everywhere in the jungles though.
    Last edited by mike9199; 08-17-2022 at 04:52 PM.