Thread: Sculling oar length

Default Sculling oar length

What’s a good sculling oar length for a gartside 130 12’ clinker dinghy 5’ beam 180 lbs.
    i’d read somewhere that 2/3 boat length was a good minimum. I have 9’ oars for rowing but they’r shafts look too nice and slender

Default Re: Sculling oar length

2/3? You might be thinking of the yuloh formula above. It will be interesting to see what you turn up, I don't remember ever hearing of a sculling oar formula. "Regular " oars sure, not sculling.

If I could remember where I got this picture from I'd credit them, but I don't.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

Are you suggesting my boat is junk!!??

seriously though I found the 2/3 of boat length on a DIY woodboat site.
    I have no idea that’s why I’m asking and I wasn’t thinking of the Yuloh formula though they are of course interesting.
    Last edited by Toxophilite; 08-03-2022 at 09:08 PM.

9ft is fine. See Hannu Vartiala's treatise on Optimum sculling oar length here:

Optimum sculling oar length (hvartial.kapsi.fi)

Thanks for that, it’s a good read, however I meant over the stern single oar sculling rather than rowing.

That's a good picture - I'm actually trying to figure out how to build a Yuloh right now and I've been surprised at how little information seems to be out there. Perhaps I will have to resort to trial and error (after all, the materials aren't too expensive).

However, I'm not following how the blade width could be 0.3-0.4Y. Should this be 0.03-0.04Y, or something else entirely?

Quote Originally Posted by stromborg View Post

2/3? You might be thinking of the yuloh formula above. It will be interesting to see what you turn up, I don't remember ever hearing of a sculling oar formula. "Regular " oars sure, not sculling.

If I could remember where I got this picture from I'd credit them, but I don't.

Steve, I don't know where the picture came from, but the proportions given in it appear to be the same, more or less, as suggested by this article:
    "Some Thoughts on the Yuloh" posted on the Junk Rig Sailing Association site.

p.s. If the information is from the article, the dimensions for blade width are indeed out by a factor of 10. The article suggests blade width of about 4% of length at the tip, tapering to 3% at the waterline (0.04Y - 0.03Y)
    Last edited by AJZimm; 08-04-2022 at 10:18 AM. Reason: additional thought
    Alex

“It's only those who do nothing that make no mistakes, I suppose.”
    - Joseph Conrad, An Outcast of the Islands

http://www.alexzimmerman.ca

It has been some time since I last dove into the yuloh project. I had been thinking about a manual back-up for Marianita if her motor quit at an inopportune moment or to get through a consistent windless spot I tend to get stuck in as we enter Eagle Harbor (right in the middle of the ferry lane) without firing up the outboard for 25 yards. How to stash an almost 12' long yuloh in a way that is both handy and out of the way relegated that project to "way back burner" status.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

I sculled my 21' Dovekie very well with the 10' Ash oar furnished for rowing.

I tried a bit of sculling with one of the 9’ long rowing oars (spruce) and it seemed to work, especially downwind… i found it a little hard on the wrist. It was my first attempt and no doubt my technique was lacking

Years ago I made a sculling oar from an old lifeboat oar. 10 foot oar with a 4 foot blade. Shaft thinned to the size of the grip with max width in the plane of the blade. Prebent some with weights and sawhorses. Basically an enlarged version of a sculling duckhunting boat oar. I've used it on 10-17 foot rowing boats and found it most satisfactory. Sam Manning did drawings of it for an old Small Boat Monthly article floating about on the internet and republished by Wooden Boat. Articles also have technique discussions. To make it easier I tried it with a Scullmatix and worked a treat with a short 4' handle on the Scullmatix. I'd use something more massive on cruising sailboat. Seems to me Harry Bryan did an article on a two piece oar that would fit on a bigger boat.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

Harry discusses his sculling oar in this OCH video (starting around the 4 minute mark): https://www.offcenterharbor.com/vide...ns-gaff-sloop/

I can also recommend these Duckworks ferrules: https://duckworks.com/pair-of-carbon...ules-for-oars/

The French seem to be at the vanguard of this kind of thing. I highly recommend a copy of this book and a hefty session with google translate if necessary. There is also a website https://universitedelagodille.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Clarkey View Post
    The French seem to be at the vanguard of this kind of thing. I highly recommend a copy of this book and a hefty session with google translate if necessary. There is also a website https://universitedelagodille.org/

Thanks for the reminder. I did a piece on US gunning oars for this pub, and I lent mine. Need to retrieve it. French sculling races are seriously entertaining. They have developed special boats for same.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."