Thread: You get what you pay for

Default You get what you pay for

Tired of hauling water for the pecan trees. Looks like they are dying anyway. Or maintaining leaves with 50 days over 100F doesnít make sense.

Way too hot. I think 400í of hose will be a little short but Iím easing into it.

I think I know Iíll be disappointed in the cheap one. The choices on some websites are sad: ďPremium, contractor, commercial, heavy dutyĒ etc.

Looks like 50 cents to a buck a foot depending on brand/quality. I ended up getting a couple of 50í Contenental as well. I think the Swan and the Continental will be ok based on reviews. The Briggs and Stratton not so much.

Too bad Sears Craftsman black rubber hoses arenít around any more. Got one fake off Amazon. Lowes is out of stock. Iíve still got some of those in service from the early 90s.

4A75EE7F-600C-47E0-A3CB-C19C12AB7EB2.jpg

Default Re: You get what you pay for

Are you mulching a lot around them?

The Swan looks like what I got from Tractor Supply in 3/4” just looking at the large anodized ends. I wonder if I should have gotten 5/8”. It’s resistance to kinking is better than the cheapest hoses but I wouldn’t call it great.
    Last edited by LeeG; 08-03-2022 at 07:53 AM.

Yep. Heavy mulch this spring. We had an exceptionally hot July. If August is normally hot, I don’t have much hope. I’ve been dumping 5 gallons on each tree every two weeks. Probably not enough.

Next time, I’ll have a better irrigation plan.

Dad grew up in the Oklahoma Dustbowl in the '20s and '30s and saw the pecan trees wither and die, along with so much else, in the drought.

People with water intensive crops are suffering great loss, along with neighbors with less intensive needs who are also running out of water.

If those hoses are too expensive for you, you can get 500 feet of .700" dia poly drip hose for 60 bucks. 5 to 10 gallon per hour drip emitters go for 25 cents each.

How hot is the water going to be after running through 400' of black hose?

I have one by Flexon (90% sure) that's about 5yrs old and still looks new. Heavy as all hell, but never a kink. Bright red vinyl.
    "Visionary" is he who in every egg sees a carbonara.

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    How hot is the water going to be after running through 400' of black hose?

I have one by Flexon (90% sure) that's about 5yrs old and still looks new. Heavy as all hell, but never a kink. Bright red vinyl.
    A lot cooler at night to be of no concern.

Tom, I use a 'soaker hose' made from recycled tires that I buried in my landscape beds, it has a flow restrictor at the female coupler, and water just seeps out along it's length. Would something like that work for you ? I bought a 75 foot one at my ' big box ' store

Rick
    Charter Member - - Professional Procrastinators Association of America - - putting things off since 1965 " I'll get around to it tomorrow, .... maybe "

Good to know about the Flexon. It showed up quite a bit as well.

The poly is an option. My dad did that and it aways visually stood out in the field. The hose sorta sinks into the grass over time. And I’m already set up to repair rubber hose. When I get trencher out there this may all change.

Good point about the heat. Way too hot to wash hands. Mornings ok.

There’s a sweet spot when I can shower.