Thread: 1961 Thompson with Volvo Penta stern drive

Default 1961 Thompson with Volvo Penta stern drive

Uff da I did it again. I adopted ANOTHER Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg Co. plywood lapstrake speedy boat! This gal is a 1961 17 ft. Sea Lancer with 80 HP Volvo Penta stern drive. ShIMG_6722.jpge was in the same family since new.

Andreas

Default Re: 1961 Thompson with Volvo Penta stern drive

Nice!

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

That's a great past time / hobby ya got there !

Looks great. And wearing the classic Lemonade Yellow paint. Was that still the standard color in '61?

Excellent!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Yes the lemonade yellow was standard colour for the Thompson Sea Lancer between 1958 and 1962

Come see this boat and many other vintage watercraft TODAY only 10 September 2022 at Lord Fletcher's on Lake Minnetonka, MN at the classic boat show. 9 am to 4 pm CST. Free and open to the public

Am Looking at this Thompson

1962 Thompson Offshore -Honduras Mahogany Lap strip-Gray Marine inboard, 6 Cyl, 100 HP -Eaton Stern Drive -Pristine Synthetic travel cover-Gator tandem axel trailer with hydraulic brakes
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Treeguyus; 09-11-2022 at 05:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Treeguyus View Post
    Am Looking at this Thompson

1962 Thompson Offshore -Honduras Mahogany Lap strip-Gray Marine inboard, 6 Cyl, 100 HP -Eaton Stern Drive -Pristine Synthetic travel cover-Gator tandem axel trailer with hydraulic brakes
    Nice rig but too bad someone painted the transom. It should be stained and varnished. It's Philippine mahogany for the stained and varnished work. Painted hull planking is Douglas fir marine plywood.

Andreas

Quote Originally Posted by AndreasJordahlRhude View Post
    Nice rig but too bad someone painted the transom. It should be stained and varnished. It's Philippine mahogany for the stained and varnished work. Painted hull planking is Douglas fir marine plywood.

Andreas
    Agree....thinking I will pass

Andreas,

Any idea on the value, the engine has not been run in ten years. It ran fine until put away....

Quote Originally Posted by Treeguyus View Post
    Andreas,

Any idea on the value, the engine has not been run in ten years. It ran fine until put away....
    Anywhere from $100 to $10,000. I sold a 1959 Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. Co. 17 ft. Sea Lancer with 1958 Johnson 50 HP outboard motor and restored trailer for $8,100 earlier this year. Everything properly restored and functional. It was for sale for over a year.

Quote Originally Posted by AndreasJordahlRhude View Post
    Anywhere from $100 to $10,000. I sold a 1959 Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. Co. 17 ft. Sea Lancer with 1958 Johnson 50 HP outboard motor and restored trailer for $8,100 earlier this year. Everything properly restored and functional. It was for sale for over a year.
    Good points it hasn't been run for 11 years, they want $5,000.00 so I made a offer of $3000.00 as a starting point. Not excited about inboards, but we like the boat. Need to find out more about the engine...will see where it goes...your correct have seen all prices $5000.00 might be a good price. thanks every ones valued insight.

01.jpgShe was used for wedding photos on Lake Minnetonka on Saturday! Congrats Stina and Nick!

IMG_E8976.jpgPhoto by David J. Rhude, MD