Thread: StarLink

Default StarLink

A friend just got a StarLink system for use on his boat while they are cruising between here and Alaska. He set it up in his yard yesterday to test and when it found a couple of satellites it was reporting a speed of about 48 Mbps, but was gradually increasing as it locked on to more. Today he sent me this picture. For comparison, I get about 80 Mbps from Comcast here in Ballard.

BB48BA08-904D-4DBD-8305-BD76AA9EFECC.jpg

Default Re: StarLink

The future.

Until someone sends a couple hundred thousand ball bearings into orbit.

Amazing, and not just compared to a silly iridium device. Wish it had been ready a few years earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mahan View Post
    What would the motive be for someone with the technical capability to launch a rocket carrying the ball bearings and to release them for a nefarious purpose? And who would it be, Mr. Blofeld?
    Russia, China, maybe soon North Korea. Motive? F up the US - what else?
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mahan View Post
    And Russia and China not only have the capability to launch and release, they are able to map all the hundred thousand little satellites in the same path that their legitimate payloads also use? And the launch of the steel balls would be in some way more energetic than just letting them go at the same orbital velocity such that they'd have enough energy to be dangerous? Would the scheme consist of targetted release of individual balls or just a big dump, because releasing the big dump with enough oomph to make a difference their own mission would necessarily be nudged noticeably so anyone else with satellite launching and tracking capability would have the forensic evidence to make either turn it into a 'shooting war' and or make the scheme public knowlege, neither of which would be in the interest of any party with the capability wanting to continue a technical presence in orbital space. It would take a trmpish entity and that would include a Blofeld or Goldfinger type force dedicated to the effort and loyal enough to not spill the beans about it. Doesn't sound like win. Maybe not Blofeld of Goldfinger but Musk or Bezos? Still don't think so. Am I being naive?
    Dunno 'bout naive - or even likely. However, in a war situation, the satellites are vulnerable. Anything deployed would probably take out lots of other stuff, but I'd think that the bearings or whatever could be contained within a fairly narrow altitude range - which could mean destroying only ones in a certain orbit. I'm no rocket scientist though - so I could be talking through my hat.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

I suspect North Korea could do it tomorrow. Just to watch it burn. Steel shot in all directions. Up there for a long, long time. Every orbit imaginable. Every delta v depending on what they hit.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    A friend just got a StarLink system for use on his boat while they are cruising between here and Alaska. He set it up in his yard yesterday to test and when it found a couple of satellites it was reporting a speed of about 48 Mbps, but was gradually increasing as it locked on to more. Today he sent me this picture. For comparison, I get about 80 Mbps from Comcast here in Ballard.

BB48BA08-904D-4DBD-8305-BD76AA9EFECC.jpg
    How much per month?

Quote Originally Posted by George. View Post
    How much per month?
    $600 up front to buy the hardware, then $110/mo for the fixed location residential version, or $135/mo for the RV version if you want to move it around on a boat or camper. There is no contract, monthly cancelable at any time. And you never have to buy beer again because every other boat in the harbor wants to borrow your password.

And it works ANYwhere on the planet, as long as you can see the sky. My friend said he walked almost a block away and was still getting a strong signal.
    Last edited by ron ll; 08-03-2022 at 08:42 AM.

Will it work in countries where Starlink has a contract with a local middleman, though?

Quote Originally Posted by George. View Post
    Will it work in countries where Starlink has a contract with a local middleman, though?
    Don’t know. I suppose there is never a good thing that politics and greed can’t eff up.

My current conspiracy theory is that the cargo capacity of Starship being perfectly sized for the rods called for in Project Thor is not a coincidence at all, and Musk is planning to take over the world by threat of orbital bombardment.

In reality though, I've noticed my Starlink dish doesn't like being on the North end of the boat. Probably just the average location of satellites from my location. Hopefully it clears up as more go into orbit. And I'm really hoping I can get more than 12 miles off shore without having to pay $5000 a month. Maybe they could be talked into unlocking that for a daily rate or something.

I’ve used the shore based version and it works just fine. How long before we get some competition?

You can buy the marine version. I can’t. But somebody could.

How much does Maritime Starlink cost?

Starlink Maritime has an upfront hardware cost of $10,000 in addition to a monthly cost of $5,000/month. The hardware cost includes two high-performance Starlink terminal – the kind used for Starlink Business – and two pipe-mount adapters.

We just preordered it. Still long waiting time ahead.
    For now we are still in touch with our Verizon wireless customer service here , trying to make the best from what we have.
    Everything works kinda well but I outside on the terrace the internet speed is awful. Is it a good idea to put some kind of adapter there for the better signal?
    Last edited by mike9199; 08-17-2022 at 04:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    I’ve used the shore based version and it works just fine. How long before we get some competition?
    A decade at best. Right now anyone wanting to compete with Starlink would have to use SpaceX to launch for them. And he's already locked in the orbital range. Bezos really wanted to get into that competition, but there's no way he gets to market for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    And it works ANYwhere on the planet, as long as you can see the sky. My friend said he walked almost a block away and was still getting a strong signal.
    My info is about a month old, but apparently is was working as far north as Petersburg Alaska. The red dot in this image is Ketchikan...

screen-capture-1.jpg
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”― Mark Twain,

"If SpaceX and other companies launch the 65,000 satellites they have proposed, bright dots will buzz across the skies all night long at those latitudes* around the summer solstice, the study says. In the hours around sunrise and sunset, about one in every 14 stars visible to the naked eye will actually be a satellite."

Nature, 2022, reporting on a study into the downsides of satellite megaconstellations.

* between 50° N and S.

Andy
    "In case of fire ring Fellside 75..."

Quote Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
    "If SpaceX .....
    Been
    * between 50° N and S.

Andy
    I'm north of fifty, as is all of Scotland.
    I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

Quote Originally Posted by P.I. Stazzer-Newt View Post
    Not to mention most of East Anglia.

Quote Originally Posted by P.I. Stazzer-Newt View Post
    And I'm well north of fifty, too!

Andy, ancient.
    "In case of fire ring Fellside 75..."

9 degrees south. Never seen a Starlink chain.