Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How ancient sailors sailed west in The Med

Default How ancient sailors sailed west in The Med

Considering they used square sails until the advent of the lateen rig.

https://www.haaretz.com/science-and-...0000?_amp=true
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Default Re: How ancient sailors sailed west in The Med

That was a great read! Thanks.
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Excellent article thanks.

I'm always fascinated by those comparisons between the rapid calculations of computers, compared to the patient observation of ancient and first peoples.
    In stories shrouded by 'personalities' and 'hero's' you find that carefully observed and carefully collected information in the spine of the stories. Of course ancient people never wasted a story on just practical facts, they entwined it with a moral dimension too. Waiting for the wind and the patience it would require for example.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Cool, thnx!

Interesting. Any info on the underbody of the ship? Going to weather is just as dependent on the wing in the water as on the wing in the air.

Another square sailed replica, beating into the wind.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

The article is interesting, but sailing a square rig to windward is not that big a deal if you have time. Ships used to round Cape Horn, after all, and I think their rigs would be a lot less efficient than a single sail, properly tacked and sheeted.

Quote from the article...[but waited for days with a favorable wind in the opposite direction,]

What a crock.
    Last edited by John B; 08-04-2022 at 04:36 PM.

Why do so few archaeologists think square riggers can sail to windward? Do they never talk to sailors?

Here are the lines of the Kyrenia Ship from about 300 B.C. (bow to port):

Why bother with the wineglass sections in the garboards and external keel if you're always going to wait on the wind?

^ The real irony is that most of the photos show the boat sailing close-hauled. The author could not have understood what he was watching, and did not ask.

https://www.thearchaeologist.org/blo...ranean-mystery

Downwind - any of 180°.
    Upwind - 90° of 180° at best.

= If you're laying a course to a particular destination, using square sail(s), then downwind is best. Less wear-and-tear, less stress, and fewer risks of accidently crashing into Malta. I think the article's use of computation to calculate the potential possibilities is fascinating, but then these old salts would have known all about it.

Good stuff & a fine use of experimental archaeology.

Andy
    "In case of fire ring Fellside 75..."

Quote Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
    Downwind - any of 180°.

Andy
    I dont quite know what your math means. I have a book publishing a speed rose for a craft with a similar hull form making 53° off the wind, which is reasonable progress to windward.

"The impervious horror of a leeward shore".
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Every Republican is an obstacle to progress.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
    Downwind - any of 180°.

= If you're laying a course to a particular destination, using square sail(s), then downwind is best. Less wear-and-tear, less stress, and fewer risks of accidently crashing into Malta. I think the article's use of computation to calculate the potential possibilities is fascinating, but then these old salts would have known all about it.

Good stuff & a fine use of experimental archaeology.

Andy
    What do you mean, that going to windward means an angle within 45 degrees of the wind? Hardly any vessels could do that prior to the 20th century yachts.

Hardly any vessels had to. Most could do 60 degrees off the wind, which is not so bad unless your destination is directly to windward, which is uncommon. Slow, yes, but so was life.

Quote Originally Posted by George. View Post
    Hardly any vessels had to. Most could do 60 degrees off the wind, which is not so bad unless your destination is directly to windward, which is uncommon. Slow, yes, but so was life.
    Given enough seaway, you put in a couple or three tacks. The safest way for an old rig like that is to wear ship.

Why do so few archaeologists think square riggers can sail to windward? Do they never talk to sailors?
    Smart people with no sailing experience. They probably read up on it, studied sailing even, but never did it. Experience trumps intellectualizing a thing pretty much every time.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

remember that egyptian replica ship that was put together about 12 years ago, and the "captain" they hired to sail it on the red sea was that guy who built the tin can trimaran that fell apart three miles from the dock.

anybody can claim expertise in a non-academic subject, especially if they've published a book that nobody read or reviewed. not hard to understand how a researcher or reporter can be misled when looking for expertise on a subject that has no real academic, peer-reviewed hierarchy.

There was a TV series years ago where a group of academics set out to re create achievements of the past. On their to do list was to carve and transport a new statue on Easter Island. After several days unsuccessfully chipping away at a chunk of rock and running out of time, they realised that there are two types of stone on Easter Island- they needed the other one. And then- one of the experts proclaimed that the reason there are now no trees on Easter Island was that they used tree trunks as rollers to move the statues to the other side of the island, and it's a long way- it would have required hundreds of trees to do it None of this pick one up and move it forward rubbish. Sometimes smart people are really stupid. JayInOz

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Its not just non-sailors. My mooring neighbour got a bit warm under the collar when i suggested his assessment of the sailing-to-weather capacity of a square rigged boat was not quite accurate. His opinion is that it is called square rigged because it cannot sail any closer to the wind that square. Extraordinarily nice guy of the top order - so i let it slide.

The long boat looks like she's pointing to weather better, but check out her wake, she's knocking off big time.
    I think i spy a 'Beater Pole' hauling down the luff - the apparatus from which the word 'Beating' comes.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Another square sailed replica, beating into the wind.

This one is definitely close hauled, perhaps in the process of hauling the sail in.
    Its not sailing to weather (yet) - all indications look like the wind is directly abeam. Check out the flag on the sloop behind (and the white horses). Having said that, the sloop seems too close hauled for a broad reach......

^ The real irony is that most of the photos show the boat sailing close-hauled. The author could not have understood what he was watching, and did not ask.

https://www.thearchaeologist.org/blo...ranean-mystery
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Many contemporary science "journalists" report on subjects they know nothing about; this reminds me of articles I've seen numerous times through the (internet) years describing how we could see a comet "streaking across the sky"... obviously written by someone who has never actually seen a comet...

The good thing about researchers is they tend to publish the results. https://www.researchgate.net/publica...ring_antiquity

The article includes the polar diagram of the replica ship, obtained by actual measurements. It's not like they don't know how well the thing they built goes to windward.

Polar-diagram-for-the-Maagan-Mikhael-II-used-in-weather-routing-simulations-Angles-to.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rumars View Post
    The good thing about researchers is they tend to publish the results. https://www.researchgate.net/publica...ring_antiquity

The article includes the polar diagram of the replica ship, obtained by actual measurements. It's not like they don't know how well the thing they built goes to windward.

Polar-diagram-for-the-Maagan-Mikhael-II-used-in-weather-routing-simulations-Angles-to.jpg
    That polar is very comforting, but do we know whether they were able to sail the boat as well as the ancients did? In Inshore Craft of Norway, there is an account of the powers that be introducing the sprit rig to get better windward performance from the fleet, making them safer when facing a lee shore. Then, to demonstrate the superiority of the sprit rig, they held a regatta -- which the square rigged fishing boats won. These were double-ended boats with a steering oar.

The Norwegians used bow lines on the luff of the square sail. Don't see any on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    That polar is very comforting, but do we know whether they were able to sail the boat as well as the ancients did? In Inshore Craft of Norway, there is an account of the powers that be introducing the sprit rig to get better windward performance from the fleet, making them safer when facing a lee shore. Then, to demonstrate the superiority of the sprit rig, they held a regatta -- which the square rigged fishing boats won. These were double-ended boats with a steering oar.

The Norwegians used bow lines on the luff of the square sail. Don't see any on this one.
    I dont quite know what your math means. I have a book publishing a speed rose for a craft with a similar hull form making 53° off the wind, which is reasonable progress to windward.
    This was of a Shetland model, a descendant of the Norse craft and of similar form to the Israeli replica. Gunter sloop rigged though.

This is the Kamper Kogge (Cog) a medieval (+/-1200-1400 AC) ship that was widely used for trade between European countries. She has a single square sail and she could sail 70 degrees off the wind.
    Sailing area; Baltic, North Sea, Atlantic, Mediterranean.
    Kamper kogge.jpg

We don't, just as we don't know if they got the sail aspect ratio right, or even the hull shape. Most of the answers are at the bottom of the Black Sea, but until now nobody has found the money to bring them to the surface.

As far as I know (I can be wrong) we have no indications for luff tensioning lines in the Med. Pictorial evidence shows mostly low aspect ratio sails with concave luffs, so I don't know how useful they would be.

Pictorial evidence from the 17th and 18th centuries shows some pretty funky stuff. My favorite is that of a square rigger about to be wrecked on a windward shore, by a Dutch old master in the National Gallery.

This was of a Shetland model, a descendant of the Norse craft and of similar form to the Israeli replica. Gunter sloop rigged though.
    The Norwegian boats in the regatta I referred to would have looked something like this:

Quote Originally Posted by Rumars View Post
    We don't, just as we don't know if they got the sail aspect ratio right, or even the hull shape. Most of the answers are at the bottom of the Black Sea, but until now nobody has found the money to bring them to the surface.

As far as I know (I can be wrong) we have no indications for luff tensioning lines in the Med. Pictorial evidence shows mostly low aspect ratio sails with concave luffs, so I don't know how useful they would be.
    I'm sure all ancient sailing craft were at their best with wind behind the beam, and sailing routes would be designed to give them that as much as possible. My point is that the polar might be deceptive because people unaccustomed to the rig are unlikely to get the most out of it.

I have seen pictures that seem to show the tack pulled down to the deck, the clew flying high, and the yard at a jaunty angle, as if they were using the rig like a settee rig with a high clew. As George points out, these illustrations may or may not represent actual practice by mariners, but it does seem likely that the ancients would have known more than the reenactors.

The Norwegian boats in the regatta I referred to would have looked something like this:

Yep, the Nordlands boats hung on to square rig to the end of sail.

Most other Norwegians types went over to sprit, or lug of one form or another.
    The Shetland Islanders bought their boats from Bergen, Hardanger Fyord, like this one
    And then developed them by using more, narrower strakes

Quote Originally Posted by George. View Post
    My favorite is that of a square rigger about to be wrecked on a windward shore . . .
    That takes skill.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    That takes skill.
    Yes, convincing artistic license really is an Art.

Crunching all that data was just a way to justify a hefty research grant.

As an earlier poster mentioned, the bloody picture in the article shows a square sail hard to windward.

Sometimes things are as simple as they seem, the real skill is when you can convince a funding agency to bestow some bucks on you to pay your bills for a couple of years, and provide the necessary scrilla so you can take your comely graduate student research assistant to Ibiza for 2 weeks for "research". Then come home and prove your theory with readily available equipment.
    "Unrepentant Reprobate"
    Lew Barrett