Thread: FAA soliciting public comments on minimum seat dimensions

Default FAA soliciting public comments on minimum seat dimensions

I feel for tall people, you can’t control how tall you are. You can control the size of your a$$.

studies have shown that this issue is not effecting emergency evacuation times.

the writer of the article is quoting the blogger from “Chubby Diaries” & “Fat Girls traveling Facebook group”.

why do airline have to subsidize ones dietary choices?

this will drive up the cost of everyone else’s ticket.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...s/10154050002/
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

Default Re: FAA soliciting public comments on minimum seat dimensions

Being on the bald, gap tooth, shorter side I enjoy not complaining about headroom down below on sailing vessels or leg room on flights
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

We just did a trip to Tokyo using a bunch of accumulated miles to upgrade, for the first time, to United Polaris. OMG I can never fly in the back again, and will probably never accumulate enough miles for another Polaris, so my flying days are now over...

-Rick

Quote Originally Posted by rgthom View Post
    We just did a trip to Tokyo using a bunch of accumulated miles to upgrade, for the first time, to United Polaris. OMG I can never fly in the back again, and will probably never accumulate enough miles for another Polaris, so my flying days are now over...

-Rick
    In abut 13 days we will be traveling for 16 hrs to Europe in COACH. As long as I’m traveling Hundreds of MPH at 30,000 ft sitting down I’m fine. Noise canceling headphones, a couple of glasses of wine and I wake up as we land in Tuscany
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Quote Originally Posted by rgthom View Post

-Rick
    Don't ever fly private, even once, it ruins all flying for ever. Even driving by a private airfield or secondary airport where private jets are parked will induce a winsome nostalgia that is difficult to get past.
    "Unrepentant Reprobate"
    Lew Barrett

Bottom feeders like Spirit are already pushing the limit on just how small a space a human can occupy. Hard to believe people are willing to put up with that kind of discomfort just to save a buck.
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Adams View Post
    Bottom feeders like Spirit are already pushing the limit on just how small a space a human can occupy. Hard to believe people are willing to put up with that kind of discomfort just to save a buck.
    So are you tall or other

Quote Originally Posted by CK 17 View Post
    So are you tall or other
    Not morbidly obese. Not skinny either. Worst flying experience of my life for comfort and several other reasons. My employer tried to send me again, I refused. Rebooked on Delta...happy traveler.
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
    Mahatma Gandhi

I'm 5'9" and 185 lbs. and hate coach with a passion.
    Getting stuffed into a cattle car with hundreds of people squeezed tight around me, I need Xanax for any flight more than a few hours. At 40,000 feet with no way out drives me nuts. I don't like to give up that much control over my life.
    If we ever fly to Europe again, it will be business class no matter the cost. That should ease the anxiety a bit.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

Im 6 foot and dont find legroom an issue in coach. In fact, I usually have my computer bag there.

But, I would like more width. Not for my butt, but for elbows. An extra armrest, say two inches, between seats would be great, especially if sitting next to a very large person.

I do believe people of a certain size should be made to buy two seats.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin T View Post
    Don't ever fly private, even once, it ruins all flying for ever. Even driving by a private airfield or secondary airport where private jets are parked will induce a winsome nostalgia that is difficult to get past.
    So true. I still have Gulfstream 4 lust.

Im 6’5”, 200#. 1.4 million miles on Delta.

Coach is really hard on legroom. I just flew to/from Paris in Delta “select comfort” and it was manageable. The best travel hack that I never see people do is - when in flight pull your under seat bag back against the front of your seat. Instant legroom.

When I have to fly American or United, I’m in the way back and the seating seems really worse than delta. I haven’t flown Spirit, but I have flown RyanAir and EasyJet in Europe. Really rough ride…

As long as no one shares their life story with me I can pretty much muddle through any situation on a plane.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    I'm 5'9" and 185 lbs. and hate coach with a passion.
    Getting stuffed into a cattle car with hundreds of people squeezed tight around me, I need Xanax for any flight more than a few hours. At 40,000 feet with no way out drives me nuts. I don't like to give up that much control over my life.
    If we ever fly to Europe again, it will be business class no matter the cost. That should ease the anxiety a bit.
    I just looked up the cost of a business class ticket from Boston to London.
    Looks like I won't be flying overseas anytime soon. Fine with me.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Im 6 foot and dont find legroom an issue in coach. In fact, I usually have my computer bag there.

But, I would like more width. Not for my butt, but for elbows. An extra armrest, say two inches, between seats would be great, especially if sitting next to a very large person.

I do believe people of a certain size should be made to buy two seats.

Kevin

thats 8” per row times 20 or 30 rows if you just count coach.

Default FAA soliciting public comments on minimum seat dimensions

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Z View Post
    Overall height doesn't mean diddly squat. I'm 6 feet tall as well, but I'd need another pair of knees to fold up into the legroom provided in coach. (38x34 pant size, heading to 36x34)

I am 36 x 34.
    Subjectivity probably plays as large a role in personal comfort as do dimensions.

Kevin

There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

I once had a seriously huge guy sit next to me. He literally overflowed into my seat. I'm small 5'7" and 130 lbs, so it was tolerable.

One of last times I flew was Lufthansa in 2003. For some reason I was seated separately from my wife and daughter next to a very large truck driver who was travelling with his family back to eastern Europe. He didn't have an ounce of fat on him but he had really broad shoulders. The flight was full. I kept asking to be reseated but the attendant kept denying me. The poor guy flew for 12 hours cramped sideways in his seat. Meanwhile two other flight attendants had sex in the screened baggage area behind my wife and cleaned up afterwards on her scarf.I don't much like Lufthansa after that,To me, leg room is really important. I am 6' and used to be a bit taller. Having room to put my arms rather than having armrest warfare with your companion is also up there.

Has anyone tried suing an airline after getting a deep vein thrombosis (DVT) on a long flight in a cramped seat?

My co-worker is a rather large black woman. As a rule she doesn't fly. For one particular job we were required to fly. She purchased a second ticket at her own cost, so she would not infringe on another passenger. The outbound flight was over sold. The airline gave her second seat away and offered her a credit for the seat.
    Airlines - the only industry that requires you to pay in advance and doesn't have to deliver what you purchased.

Jack "quite the jaded" traveler.
    Jack
    Nicotine free since 1 October 2009

Once upon a time, I flew from New York Kennedy airport non-stop to Tel Aviv on El Al - seated in Coach, 3 across with my wife in the center seat and a large individual on the aisle. I had the window seat, and literally could not move for the entire flight (did not drink, cause I knew I'd never get past everyone to the toilet ( Oh, did I mention the elderly lady who was 'going back to the Holy Land to die' and booked 9 curtained off seats for her stretcher and her attendant. - The curtains did little to mask the moans and groans as her personal clock ticked down. . . . )

Rick
    Charter Member - - Professional Procrastinators Association of America - - putting things off since 1965 " I'll get around to it tomorrow, .... maybe "

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Get yer butt up on the scale with the luggage
    blue states pay for red ones...small people pay for big ones

Got little to do with the morbidly obese. Has more to do with shoulder width. Seat width on most planes is significantly narrow than my shoulders. Means i am literally rubbing shoulders with the persons on either side of me.

Architectural Graphic Standards says minimum seat spacing/width should be 27 inches center-to-center. Standard airline seat width (distance between the arm rests) is typically 17-18 inches (https://www.seatguru.com/charts/longhaul_economy.php). Arm resets are shared. They're about 3 inches wide (tops), so add c. 3 inches to get a center-to-center measurement of 21 inches.

Might point out there's a lot of non-obese, ordinary women with hips who max out that 17-18 inch seat width.

Airlines need to design their interiors to reflect the actual dimensions of a normal adult human body, say +/- 1 standard deviation from the mean.

seat-width.jpg
    Last edited by Nicholas Carey; 08-02-2022 at 08:26 PM.

Has anyone seen that 'design study' , which proposes double-decker seating ( not Airbus style ) in airplanes ?? Cringe worthy

I'm 6'4" and it never fails that the guy in front of me feels it's his right to push his chair back as far as it will go. Those square metal tubes that support the tray do a number on my knees.

So, yeah, what a pity some little twerp might pay a few extra bucks for their seat so the rest of us can actually walk after we land.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    Get yer butt up on the scale with the luggage
    blue states pay for red ones...small people pay for big ones
    Ha Ha, I always thought you should be charged with "total weight" also. Maybe we also need one of those "dimensional weight" calculations that cargo carriers do. Not unrealistic, we are just cargo....

^ 'Self Loading Freight '
    Charter Member - - Professional Procrastinators Association of America - - putting things off since 1965 " I'll get around to it tomorrow, .... maybe "