Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A woman went to cover an execution. She was told her skirt was too short.

Default A woman went to cover an execution. She was told her skirt was too short.

In Alabama, of course.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...rt-dress-code/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Re: A woman went to cover an execution. She was told her skirt was too short.

They're into purity. How about a Burka? How about we say they stay home and have done with it?
    If Russia wins, there will be no Ukraine; if Ukraine wins, there will be a new Russia.

-- Dmytro Kuleba, Foreign Minister of Ukraine

Default Re: A woman went to cover an execution. She was told her skirt was too short.

Quote Originally Posted by The Gentleman Sawyer View Post
    In Alabama, of course.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...rt-dress-code/

damned crackers

Who knew there was a dress code for witnessing an execution?

Screen Shot 2022-08-01 at 2.21.02 PM.jpg

What? A man about to die might have impure thoughts at the sight of naked knees?

And it took them 3 hours to hit a vein, which they said was perfectly normal. It seems like torture to me.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

So someone being executed must’ve been found guilty of something heinous, but I’m supposing that the bureau of prisons, whatever state agency that operates the execution process, requires a culture of respecting the moment because whatever the capital offense, it’s still a human and the taking of a life, especially bearing in mind that there is always a possibility of the person being somehow wrongly convicted, but also to preclude any tendency for the execution to become a bloody spectacle of righteous revenge or something. Even if the person deserves to die for their crime, the execution should be serious and somber. And the actual guy in charge has taken that to be the basis for being an autocratic aerosol. It’s the likely mentality of a uniformed person employed in incarceration. Like a cop who only has to deal with known guilty perps. Authority. It’s his domain, and he can be a dick, so he is. Imagine having to share the evening meal with someone in that position, afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    And it took them 3 hours to hit a vein, which they said was perfectly normal. It seems like torture to me.

They might want to send their executioners to phlebotomy tech school. Yikes!
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

It's a good thing it was not by firing squad. They probably shoot like stormtroopers.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Is it true that a camera crew gave her a pair of fishing waders, which she wore into the viewing room ?
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

So Alabama is pro-life, pro- death and pro gun and and misogynistic. Anyone see the hypocrisy?
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    Is it true that a camera crew gave her a pair of fishing waders, which she wore into the viewing room ?

Yes. She was also told that her open-toed shoes were too revealing, so she put on a pair of tennis shoes she had in her car.

Near half a century ago, the Ridiculous Right (aka, the religious right) should have been laughed out of the room. Instead, we were told "we must respect their beliefs".

How's that working out for y'all?

Well it's all fraud Durnik, misleading advertising, false prospectuses and all.

A Victorian point of view during a Barbarian activity, some people call it progress.

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Aught to see what this woman wears to church!

of course there's a dress code for an execution. had a man shown up in a short skirt he would have been asked to change clothes as well.

^^^ Dress codes are notoriously sexist. Doesn't make it OK to be sexist, though.

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by TerryLL View Post
    Screen Shot 2022-08-01 at 2.21.02 PM.jpg

What? A man about to die might have impure thoughts at the sight of naked knees?
    Looks like a pair of shorts to me, not a skirt.
    Tom

Humans can be strange people.
    "Banning books and not guns seems backwards. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    So Alabama is pro-life, pro- death and pro gun and and misogynistic. Anyone see the hypocrisy?
    No, it all fits. Gawd is probably in there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wilkinson View Post
    Looks like a pair of shorts to me, not a skirt.
    Please tell me that's not a picture of her at the execution! If that is her demeanor when a human being is being killed, then she is as shallow as a spit on hot asphalt.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Please tell me that's not a picture of her at the execution! If that is her demeanor when a human being is being killed, then she is as shallow as a spit on hot asphalt.
    No idea, couldn’t access the article, just assumed that was a picture of her attire. There is no context with the pic. And a posed pic tells nothing of demeanor.
    Tom

The heat they have in Alabama excuses a lot of bare skin.
    /Erik

The pic makes it look like shorts or a fold in the skirt. Either way, mid-thigh is long enough, or ought to be for those who care. My problem is the savage incompetence of taking three hours to get the needle right. The emotional torture inflicted with cheery indifference shows that the state of Alabama goes for inhuman. Forget the short hem and ban the death hypo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    The pic makes it look like shorts or a fold in the skirt. Either way, mid-thigh is long enough, or ought to be for those who care. My problem is the savage incompetence of taking three hours to get the needle right. The emotional torture inflicted with cheery indifference shows that the state of Alabama goes for inhuman. Forget the short hem and ban the death hypo.
    Seems putting people to sleep painlessly is not so easy as it is with pets. I wonder why/
    "Banning books and not guns seems backwards. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book

That's a pic taken in front of a house - so I doubt it's at the execution

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    I've had 100's of phlebotomies. 2 times the nurse had to make a 2nd try. All the rest were under 15 seconds. Even the 2 tries took under a minute. Admittedly I have what the nurses call "lovely veins" - but taking more than a few minutes (5-10) is unheard of - I've asked.

3 hours is obviously purposely applied torture & the perpetrators should be charged.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

And a posed pic tells nothing of demeanor.
    Tom, think about what you just said. Would you walk out, having just witnessed one of the most inhuman acts performed by anyone, watched a human being strapped to a table and killed, and then would you pose with that big smile on your face? That was the question I asked. That was the question you answered. I hope and pray you would not. I would have no respect for you if you could.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    That's a pic taken in front of a house - so I doubt it's at the execution
    Well, it's a building. I hope you're right.

Tom, think about what you just said. Would you walk out, having just witnessed one of the most inhuman acts performed by anyone, watched a human being strapped to a table and killed, and then would you pose with that big smile on your face? That was the question I asked. That was the question you answered. I hope and pray you would not. I would have no respect for you if you could.

Well, it's a building. I hope you're right.
    Again, the pic has zero context. You are reading way to much into it. And I’ve seen plenty of photographers that are quite good at capturing a completely different mood than what is happening.

We don’t even know if that was the outfit she was wearing.
    Tom

No idea, couldn’t access the article, just assumed that was a picture of her attire. There is no context with the pic. And a posed pic tells nothing of demeanor.

No photo of her in the Post article. Another article I read identified the maker and name of the dress or skirt and said it landed and inch and a half above her knee, and that prison policy was that all dresses or skirts had to be below the knees so as not to excite the inmates.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    Seems putting people to sleep painlessly is not so easy as it is with pets. I wonder why/

Yes there is a definite reason. The pharmaceutical companies that produce and sell effective drugs that will render a pet or human to experience a painless death will not sell these drugs to states that have the Death Penalty. So those states are forced to jerry rig a hodgepodge of chemicals imported from other countries that can be retrofit to KILL prisoners, almost always inhumanly. Oh in case you haven’t figured it out I’m pro choice and anti Death Penalty.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

As opposed to the evil, cruel people who at the execution are actually killing someone. Riigghht—she’s the big problem…

Jeff C
    Don’t expect much, and you won’t be disappointed…

Again, the pic has zero context. You are reading way to much into it. And I’ve seen plenty of photographers that are quite good at capturing a completely different mood than what is happening.

We don’t even know if that was the outfit she was wearing.
    Are any of us even sure this is the woman who was covering the execution, and even if was, it could be a photo of her in a completely different time and place.

Heck it could even be a cute blond of TerryLL's acquaintance that he used a photograph of to illustrate bare knees and the ridiculousness of same in arousing any impure thoughts by one about to be executed.

Either way I seriously doubt that the photo in question is any way connected to the date, time and place of the execution, with the previously mentioned possibility of it being the reporter photographed elsewhere.
    "Unrepentant Reprobate"
    Lew Barrett

The story said the reporter was wearing forbidden open toe shoes, and had to change to someone's boots to be allowed in to the execution. The picture in issue shows her wearing closed toe high heels. Apparently not how she weas dressed going to the execution, if indeed it is a picture of her.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    Yes there is a definite reason. The pharmaceutical companies that produce and sell effective drugs that will render a pet or human to experience a painless death will not sell these drugs to states that have the Death Penalty. So those states are forced to jerry rig a hodgepodge of chemicals imported from other countries that can be retrofit to KILL prisoners, almost always inhumanly. Oh in case you haven’t figured it out I’m pro choice and anti Death Penalty.
    For sure - but the 3 hours is telling. The executioners want the person to suffer. If this does not fit the definition of "cruel & unusual" I'm not sure what does.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green