Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some Common Sense from England...

Default Some Common Sense from England...

RFU Council votes in favour of change to gender participation policy

"The RFU Council has determined that until such time as new further peer-reviewed science is available, a precautionary approach is appropriate to ensure fair competition and safety of all competitors. Therefore, the RFU Council approved a policy change to only permit players in the female category if the sex originally recorded at birth is female. "

https://www.hugerugby.news/international/rfu-council-votes-in-favour-of-change-to-gender-participation-policy/
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”― Mark Twain,

Default Re: Some Common Sense from England...

I'm sure there will be howls of protest, but if nothing else, it is completely unambiguous.

Pete
    The Ignore feature, lowering blood pressure since 1862. Ahhhhhhh.

Dunno why they are so worried?
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

dunno why this is even a thing to right wingers

^
    They are obsessed with what they consider to be sin and the fate of our immortal souls.
    "I'll tell you why [religion's] not a scam. In my opinion, all right? Tide goes in, tide goes out. Never a miscommunication. You can't explain that."Bill O'Reilly

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    Shattered dreams, nobody can count the number of right wingers who dreamed that, one day, they might just possibly be allowed to play ladies rugby.
    I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

Double standards?
    In the male category, players whose sex recorded at birth is female may play if they provide their written consent and a risk assessment is carried out.
    Why not ask for consent forms from the opposing team?

Do you think that they are afraid of transgendered players.

If you really want to get into the data this paper (which is not about the gender issues) has a very good data set for body mass in male and female players and how it's changed over time: Trends in player body mass at men’s and women’s Rugby World Cups: a plateau in body mass and differences in emerging rugby nations | BMJ Open Sport & Exercise Medicine

In rugby a large differential in body mass increases the risk of injury including permanent injury. That's something most sports do not need to consider when they are making decisions on this issue.
    Yachting, the only sport where you get to be a mechanic, electrician, plumber and carpenter

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hunter View Post
    If you really want to get into the data this paper (which is not about the gender issues) has a very good data set for body mass in male and female players and how it's changed over time: Trends in player body mass at men’s and women’s Rugby World Cups: a plateau in body mass and differences in emerging rugby nations | BMJ Open Sport & Exercise Medicine

In rugby a large differential in body mass increases the risk of injury including permanent injury. That's something most sports do not need to consider when they are making decisions on this issue.
    How much account did the study take of the relative rarity of Professional full time elite women? That is bound to have made a difference.
    England offered contracts three years ago, Wales only recently, other nations, part-time pay or appearance fees.

I believe that truly transgendered folk, when the medication has had time to work, are pretty well physically indistinguishable from their other people of their sex

Wasn't this whole kerfuffle settled years ago with the female East German Olympic weight lifters? If the person has the right chromosome makeup, then Bob's yer uncle.
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Every Republican is an obstacle to progress.

My personal opinion is that I don't know enough to say who should be competing with who in which sports. But I do understand why one sport's governing body might have to consider factors that another sports does not. It can be a difficult problem at the elite competitive level, and I am glad it's not my responsibility.
    Yachting, the only sport where you get to be a mechanic, electrician, plumber and carpenter

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hunter View Post
    My personal opinion is that I don't know enough to say who should be competing with who in which sports. But I do understand why one sport's governing body might have to consider factors that another sports does not. It can be a difficult problem at the elite competitive level, and I am glad it's not my responsibility.
    I don't think that it is just at the Elite level. My daughter plays RU, but her team is by no means Elite.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    Look at all the new rules in the NFL trying to protect male players from other male players, now imagine a contact sport with little to no padding or helmets, and think about men smashing into females.

It was common sense in a time where it's rare. Why don't you care about female players?
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”― Mark Twain,

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Yesterday, Natalie Ryan, who is openly transgender, won the Female Professional division of the Great Lakes Open tournament in Michigan her first Disc Golf Pro Tour win.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW
    Look at all the new rules in the NFL trying to protect male players from other male players, now imagine a contact sport with little to no padding or helmets, and think about men smashing into females.

It was common sense in a time where it's rare. Why don't you care about female players?
    This is all about protecting the well-being of transgendered athletes? Really?

Surely I am not the only American sick to death of the incessant culture-warrior distractions while issues that the public cries to be addressed get brushed off to appease the Red sources of campaign cash.
    Last edited by Tom Montgomery; 08-01-2022 at 06:48 PM.
    "I'll tell you why [religion's] not a scam. In my opinion, all right? Tide goes in, tide goes out. Never a miscommunication. You can't explain that."Bill O'Reilly

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    This is all about protecting the well-being of transgendered athletes? Really?

Surely I am not the only American sick to death of the incessant culture-warrior distractions while issues that the public cries to be addressed get brushed off to appease the Red sources of campaign cash.
    No. It's about protecting the wellbeing of the non transgender athletes, by reducing the risk in what is a full-on contact sport. Legal liabilty for player injuries is rearing it's head in rugby, and part of this will be the RFU attempting to mitigate one potential cause of that.

Pete
    The Ignore feature, lowering blood pressure since 1862. Ahhhhhhh.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post

because......SPORTS !!!!

You ever played hockey against a mixed team?

No body checking in women’s hockey at the moment Nick. Not to say there will be some form of it in the future but definitely no hitting in mixed hockey matches. / Jim

Default Some Common Sense from England...

And, what about scholarship monies?

In the US, at least, athletic scholarships are a way for kids to go to a better school, or even just go to school in the first place.

Born male transgender athletes competing in a sport put female gender of origin athletes at a huge disadvantage for those opportunities.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by chas View Post
    No body checking in women’s hockey at the moment Nick. Not to say there will be some form of it in the future but definitely no hitting in mixed hockey matches. / Jim
    Put weapons in the hands of enthusiastic, keen to win females, and mayhem ensues.

Even if I were enough decades younger to make it feasible, I would be really, really, loath to risk my tender gronicles in the company of the lovelies shown in #7.

Quote Originally Posted by chas View Post
    Take your word for those, but as a young lad I enjoyed the hell out of women's roller derby on the local channels.. and they most definitely body blocked and more.

I used to play football every weekend with friends and people who turned up at the field, back in the last century. We played with guys, girls, and other genders, all mixed up in both teams. Sometimes we played on the beach and there would be a definite slope on the sand favoring one side. Our games were healthy and fun, and we would play until everyone was so tired that someone would yell "next goal wins". Regardless of the score until then, the next goal "won" and everyone was happy.

Competitive sports have become twisted in modern society. It is all about competitive and very little about sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Durnik View Post
    Take your word for those, but as a young lad I enjoyed the hell out of women's roller derby on the local channels.. and they most definitely body blocked and more.
    Just so. Kirsty competed at Roller Derby, until her body complained too much, so she went back to Rugby.

They're probably just worried that if they start letting in men with a pony tail play in the womens' team the womens' team will perform as badly as the mens' does.

<Tongue firmly in cheek, for the benefit of anyone finding me a bit too subtle in my mickey-takin

Question: Does this decision by the RFU apply to only amateur rugby? Or does it apply to professional rugby as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    Question: Does this decision by the RFU apply to only amateur rugby? Or does it apply to professional rugby as well?
    The data that I posted in #9 suggests that professional women's rugby is a minority, a new thing, so it will apply to all teams. In the UK a Duty of Care applies to all organizations.

If it's really just a size-equals-safety thing, then why don't they just declare a minimum weight? If she's big enough she's big enough.
    And what about the men? Do they not care if small-framed men get trampled?

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Bartlett View Post
    If it's really just a size-equals-safety thing, then why don't they just declare a minimum weight? If she's big enough she's big enough.
    There is a disparity in size in the team make up. The forwards in the pack are big built, the hooker and the backs are faster and agile.
    It is not like American football, where everyone is put together like brick built cludgie.

Further eliminating more women from participating in a women's league. Wonder how much longer women are going to put up with this nonsense?

Further eliminating more women from participating in a women's league. Wonder how much longer women are going to put up with this nonsense?
    This lot dont play Rugby League, they play Union rules

League is similar, but less skillful.

Hahaha.... *somehow*, I don't believe BW is worried, at all, about those 'poor girls'.....
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Non-issue, essentially.

Men who are smaller in stature and or lack the requisite physicality and athleticism do not make the team.

That holds true for women in womens sports.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    There is a disparity in size in the team make up. The forwards in the pack are big built, the hooker and the backs are faster and agile.
    It is not like American football, where everyone is put together like brick built cludgie.

Shows how little you know about American football. Wide receivers look nothing like linemen.