Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cable hookup to my house

Default Re: Cable hookup to my house

E - What is your 5g cell status? It might make sense to use a hotspot and save.
    (5G download speeds from the three big U.S. operators are in the 47 Mbps to 58 Mbps range.)
    Without friends none of this is possible.

You can put some black tape over the lights if they bother you. Works for the microwave clock.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    E - What is your 5g cell status? It might make sense to use a hotspot and save.
    (5G download speeds from the three big U.S. operators are in the 47 Mbps to 58 Mbps range.)
    There is no non-commercial 5G on Cape Cod.

Besides, for many years I listened to BBC Radio 3 all day. While it's true I no longer do, I do listen to a lot of live music broadcasts from Radio3 and France Musique, and a lot of rebroadcasts of operas and recitals. They would completely eliminate my hotspot allowance in about a week.
    Last edited by elf; 08-01-2022 at 06:22 PM.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    Similar to my installation. I think I see the signal line - is that grounded somehow for lightning protection?
    Green wire to the right.

The orange wire is the line from the pole, the green is a ground & the coax to the modem is behind the box.
    Yes - the grass needs to be cut, but getting in there with hand trimmers is about #3,476 or the priority list.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by elf View Post
    There is no non-commercial 5G on Cape Cod.
    I wonder if you could get Verizon LTE home Internet in your location? It's faster than DSL and uses a simple 6 inch cube box (router), just place against an exterior wall or window and plug into any outlet. No hard wiring. Not 5G, but not bad download speeds. It might be worth checking out, even if you get Comcast.

When you have alternatives you can bargain with internet providers from a position of strength.

Not available on my side of Buzzards Bay. They use the same towers as T-Mobile and I'm on the waiting list for T-Mobile. My wi-fi hotspot from T-mobile is mostly faster than Verizon DSL, which is what I've been using since 1995.

Verizon and T-Mobile LTE home internet are available just a mile to the east of me - on the other side of the moraine. But the sliver of land which slopes down to Buzzards Bay from the moraine is a step-child.

Until Falmouth town internet gets built, in around 5 years, us users over here against Buzzards Bay are stuck with either DSL or ComCast.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

And other things, too.

So the second attempt this morning. The guy shows up, I show him where he could run the cable in the house, he tells me that simply don't do anything more than push the cable through the exterior wall, and if I want it somewhere inside I have to hire an electrician.

Still not sure that's what I was promised, but anyway I'm tired of waiting and so I guess that's the way the world turns.

And other things, too.

Quote Originally Posted by elf View Post
    So the second attempt this morning. The guy shows up, I show him where he could run the cable in the house, he tells me that simply don't do anything more than push the cable through the exterior wall, and if I want it somewhere inside I have to hire an electrician.

Still not sure that's what I was promised, but anyway I'm tired of waiting and so I guess that's the way the world turns.
    What BS. Sorry Emily!

I'm "assisting" on a Comcast install at my ex-wife's house on Tuesday. We'll see how that goes.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Emily, I am not familiar with that geographic area , is it possible that a local ' handyman' could complete the interior cabling ? ?

Rick
    Charter Member - - Professional Procrastinators Association of America - - putting things off since 1965 " I'll get around to it tomorrow, .... maybe "

Our new Fidium fiber optic install is scheduled for tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed that it’ll go well. They said to clear out the area in the basement where the cabling will need to go so I think they do everything. They’ll even install two repeaters if needed to get coverage everywhere in the house. That’ll be good as the shop is under the garage and it’s never had great Wi-Fi reception.

Well, we worked it out. They ran the cable up the outside of the house to the window on the stair landing, so the modem is in the same place the DSL one was, where I can keep an eye on it and make sure it's working.

Finally, I have updated Photoshop and Lightroom, and installed the update of Monterey, three things that I otherwise would have gone to the local library to do, because each of them would take 5 hours to do here.

They were polite, asked sensible questions, were flexible and adaptable, and fast. There was no reason the first guy couldn't have done the same thing last Friday, except that he wasn't flexible and adaptable and couldn't work outside his blinders.

I called Verizon and shut the service down (bye, bye phone number I've had for since June of 1995) and called Comcast and had them apply the "Lifeline" discount so my monthly bill is guaranteed to be $19.99 for the next two years. (I was paying $93 for Verizon DSL (which they blithely called HighSpeedInternet).

Maybe by then the town's projected cable will be installed, or I will be deceased. I'll be 82.

The Verizon guy was kinda sweet. He asked me all the usual questions: "Could you tell us why you are closing your account, please?" etc. and at the end he said: "Well, thank you so much for being a Verizon Customer for 27 years." I wondered to my self how often he had ever dealt with a customer of such long standing.

So I have now wrangled my monthly internet access bill down to $46 by switching to T-Mobile prepaid and Comcast Prepaid with Lifeline - a savings of $100/month over Verizon's cell phone and internet, and a whole lot faster, to boot.

And I have enjoyed the pleasure of listening to 4 different Kunst der Fugen by wonderful European early music ensembles and settled on spending some of that savings on the recording by Fretwork - an arrangment for 5 violas da gamba of Bach's enormous exegesis on fugal composition which he left unfinished when he died. The Reinhard Goebel was more colorful, but there were times when the clang of the harpsichord just didn't agree with me, and the style was just a bit too close to the 19th C for my taste. Yes, yes, I know that Bach was very much a spirit of huge emotions, and that 1750 was already well into the Sturm und Drang era and poor Bach was terribly old fashioned. But he wasn't out of touch. He just had a different language for expressing those emotions from most everyone else by then.

And thank goodness his son, Carl Philipp Emanuel, understood that.

And other things, too.

Glad it worked out.

Emily, (just a question of curiosity) - which of the installers was , perhaps, older - the first or the second / final installer ?

Rick
    Charter Member - - Professional Procrastinators Association of America - - putting things off since 1965 " I'll get around to it tomorrow, .... maybe "

Good result!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.