Thread: In 1981, at age 35, I watched “On Golden Pond”.

Default In 1981, at age 35, I watched “On Golden Pond”.

I recall viewing the Henry Fonda character as a grumpy old fart, disappointed at life, slowly fading away.

Now, at age 75 I watched it again. I now view the character as a guy just doing the best he can, head over heels still in love with his wife, and possessing a mind willing to change.
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

Default Re: In 1981, at age 35, I watched “On Golden Pond”.

Yup. Our outlook changes as we sense mortality. Mistakes made in our youth weigh heavily, and regret for opportunities lost troubles the mind. Most, as we advance in age, become more curmudgeonly. Fonda's character was an exception, and an inspiration. Great film.

Well, he comes across as grumpy early in the movie, but he mellows and fills out his character as it progresses. To my mind the real star in that movie is Katharine Hepburn; the way her vitality and enthusiasm shine through never fails to make me smile. It one of my all-time favorite movies.
    I'm chagrined to realize it's over 40 years old!

Saw a clip from when it came out..thought "for old people" like me ...now.

I second the Hepburn kudos!
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

It’s one of the few films that I can watch again and again. I didn’t see it in the cinema; I never have. I first saw it on a plane. Lovely boat. More seriously I am going to stick up for Jane Fonda, acting the part of an adult daughter with all sorts of issues with her father, when in reality she had gone through all sorts of issues with her father, who is playing her father, and sharing scenes with the greatest film actress of all time, whom she considered her mentor. It must have been difficult…
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

A couple of nights ago I watched a truly enjoyable film about a seventy year old Korean man who has spent his life hand carving ink stones- stunning work. He talks about being confident to take on any challenge in the past, but now some serious and unexpected health issues have turned him into a scared old man. I know from my own experience that dealing with potentially life threatening illness, and also seeing people of my age and younger beginning to die off at an alarming rate, makes me think more and more about my own mortality. And no matter how much I want to be ready, I know it's going to scare the crap out of me when the doc eventually tells me I'm out of birthdays. I loved Katherine Hepburns acting but in her later years her constant head shaking (Essential Tremor) was uncomfortable to watch. JayInOz

But did they really smash up a classic mahogany runabout in the filming of that movie?

I agree. A great film.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

I have a friend who served during the Vietnam years. I cannot mention Jane Fonda without him going off. I thought all she did was pose for some ill-advised photographs, but it was much worse. It's hard for me to watch her now even if she is no longer the foolish girl she once was.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    I have a friend who served during the Vietnam years. I cannot mention Jane Fonda without him going off. I thought all she did was pose for some ill-advised photographs, but it was much worse. It's hard for me to watch her now even if she is no longer the foolish girl she once was.
    Dummy would probably still be there , if not for folks like Jane.(and David G , and Ian M)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    It’s one of the few films that I can watch again and again.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    Dummy would probably still be there , if not for folks like Jane.(and David G , and Ian M)
    How people can believe Jane Fonda was wrong while being completely unaware of (esp) Kissinger's complete soulless utter evil shows the power of propaganda.. American Propaganda.

Jane's actions were from her convictions. There is no hell hot enough for Kissenger.

Sorry CW but it wasn’t much worse. Right wing urban legends have overrun what was a poorly thought out protest move.
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    But did they really smash up a classic mahogany runabout in the filming of that movie?
    Yes, I think they did.
    But back when the movie was made, those old Chrises had barely achieved classic status. They were dime-a-dozen around here (Detroit area) and were viewed by many as obsolete junk.
    That's the case with lots of (most?) things; they go through a phase of being "obsolete junk" just before rather suddenly becoming highly sought classics.

I was 9 years old and watched it in a theater in Gatlinburg. Bored me to tears.

I suppose it would be different if I were to watch it again.

The 80’s, that was a busy decade.

On Golden Pond! One of the greatest films ever, imho. I saw it when I was 14 for the first time ... and love it ... back in around 1983. As I grew older, it became even more meaningful and poignant!
    Nothing else matters but how I raise my children ... and their opinion of me, as a father.

Quote Originally Posted by Durnik View Post
    How people can believe Jane Fonda was wrong while being completely unaware of (esp) Kissinger's complete soulless utter evil shows the power of propaganda.. American Propaganda.

Jane's actions were from her convictions. There is no hell hot enough for Kissenger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    Sorry CW but it wasn’t much worse. Right wing urban legends have overrun what was a poorly thought out protest move.
    As he tells it, some of the POWs that she met slipped her a note and she gave it to their jailers. True or false? If true, that qualifies as much worse in my mind.

What I've read is that some claim it happened and some claim it did not. There are first-person statements from former POWs claiming that she did it and there are general statements claiming it never happened. It's hard to cut through it all. Either way, I don't think she helped the anti-war effort very much.
    Last edited by CWSmith; 08-01-2022 at 10:12 AM.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Dabney Coleman was tragically underutilized in that one.
    "Visionary" is he who in every egg sees a carbonara.

^ Dabney Coleman was terribly miscast.

He was great in 9 to 5, and in the short-liverd TV series American Buffalo.
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Every Republican is an obstacle to progress.

Re the wrecking of the Chris-Craft. It wasn't the lovingly restored and valued one that was shown during many of the scenes. It was another one in poor shape to which they rigged a hydraulic ram to the back of the stem down below. When the boat supposedly hit a ledge the ram pulled the stem back crushing the planking inward. Pretty convincing! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vN25jPGXfc
    "So we beat on, paddleboats against the wake of a neighbor’s jet ski, born back ceaselessly into the past." The Great Lakes Gatsby

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    ^ Dabney Coleman was terribly miscast.
    "Sure, you can VIOLATE my daughter under my own roof... just DON'T TELL ETHYL!!"
    "So we beat on, paddleboats against the wake of a neighbor’s jet ski, born back ceaselessly into the past." The Great Lakes Gatsby

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Bartlett View Post
    Yes, I think they did.
    But back when the movie was made, those old Chrises had barely achieved classic status. They were dime-a-dozen around here (Detroit area) and were viewed by many as obsolete junk.
    That's the case with lots of (most?) things; they go through a phase of being "obsolete junk" just before rather suddenly becoming highly sought classics.
    An apt metaphor for the theme of the movie.

I was in my late twenties when it came out. I seem to remember it being a big deal when it was aired on network prime time. Haven’t seen it since.
    Speak softly and carry a mouthful of marbles.

Filmed on Squam Lake in New Hampshire. I vacationed there one year with our family and that's where my 4-year-old son caught his first fish.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

My wife reminds me that we saw it Off Broadway when it first ran as a play with Frances Sternhagen as Ethel. No scenes afloat of course but it was pretty good anyway. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_Golden_Pond_(play)

I was going to let this go, but it's just so foolish that I can't.

I respect people who opposed and protested the war. I also opposed it and I grow more angry about it as I get older.

Jane Fonda did not shorten the war by even so much as one day. If anything, she made it last longer. The way you change foreign policy is by convincing the politicians in Washington to change their minds. Fonda so inflamed them and a great many Americans that the war vote was reinforced. If you think Jane Fonda shortened the war in any way, then you have no understanding of the problem at all.

^and yet, and yet.. you don't call out the man who intentionally damned millions to suffering and death.. while the woman was guilty at worst of being an innocent, manipulated.

don't look now but your bigotry is (again) showing.

^and yet, and yet.. you don't call out the man who intentionally damned millions to suffering and death.. while the woman was guilty at worst of being an innocent, manipulated.

don't look now but your bigotry is (again) showing.
    ???? There are a lot of things I didn't say because they weren't relevant to the conversation.

So, for the record, Mao was a bad guy, Lenin was a mass murderer, and the Khmer Rouge were the devil himself. However, they didn't make movies that show on TV, so they aren't really germane.

Oh look! Squirrel!

^ yes, misdirection is your favorite tool to hide behind.

really? 'make movies that show on t.v.' is now a reason to attack a young activist with her heart in at least the right place - while Kissinger (not those others) gets a pass for decades of pushing torture & murder?

You have it bad.

and you were the one to bring the activism in.. the thread was/is about changing perceptions of a theme..

'oh, look, squirrel' indeed.

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Hazard View Post
    Well, he comes across as grumpy early in the movie, but he mellows and fills out his character as it progresses. To my mind the real star in that movie is Katharine Hepburn; the way her vitality and enthusiasm shine through never fails to make me smile. It one of my all-time favorite movies.
    I'm chagrined to realize it's over 40 years old!
    Agree on Hepburn. Uxed to stop and chat with her in the 60's 70's when she was biking through town. She grew up/lived in Old Saybrook just across the river from me.

Always impresszed me with her Yankee wit.

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post
    My wife reminds me that we saw it Off Broadway when it first ran as a play with Frances Sternhagen as Ethel. No scenes afloat of course but it was pretty good anyway. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_Golden_Pond_(play)
    I was wondering how long it would be before the play (the original version) would get a mention. I think it's better on stage than as a movie. Frances Sternhagen won the 1979 Tony Award for best actress playing Ethel.

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

...while Kissinger (not those others) gets a pass for decades of pushing torture & murder?
    You'll never hear me praise Kissinger or Nixon. And I won't praise Johnson's misdirected efforts in Vietnam, but I will recognize his efforts at equal rights.

There is no point in playing your game, so you can continue running from topic to topic. The original subject was Fonda. I raised a question. I continue to think that her heart was in the right place, but her head was up her butt. Now you can continue to rant and misdirect. I'm done with your ramblings.