Thread: Trivial tool gloat

Default Trivial tool gloat

I stepped into my excellent local tool shop, Elmers, (yes, really!) and asked for the best set of Allen keys they had. They handed me their last set of Allen keys made by … Allen.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Default Re: Trivial tool gloat

Great 'score' , ACB - those are the best - I also like the Bondhus product line (no affiliation) , if they are available in your area.

Rick
    Charter Member - - Professional Procrastinators Association of America - - putting things off since 1965 " I'll get around to it tomorrow, .... maybe "

Great tool shop with very knowledgeable attentive staff.

Do I need to organize a road trip ? ( when I was last in England / Scotland / Ireland, I spent a good while browsing through the side-street shops - totally fascinating to someone 'from this side of the pond' )

Rick
    Charter Member - - Professional Procrastinators Association of America - - putting things off since 1965 " I'll get around to it tomorrow, .... maybe "

There’s this place, just down the road:

https://www.classichandtools.com/
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Interestingly, Allen keys are known as Allen wrenches here. I have no doubt that if I were to go into a local hardware store and asked for a set of Allen keys, I'd get the same blank stare that I got when I was new to the country and asked for "insulating tape" instead of asking for "electrical tape".

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    Interestingly, Allen keys are known as Allen wrenches here. I have no doubt that if I were to go into a local hardware store and asked for a set of Allen keys, I'd get the same blank stare that I got when I was new to the country and asked for "insulating tape" instead of asking for "electrical tape".
    You just need to walk into the right kinda hardware store Hwyl, like the one I work in 3 days a week. I'd know exactly what you'd be asking about, as well as where they are in the store, then I'd ask whether Imperial or Metric?

Ask for insulating tape? I'd show you the white foam stuff we have for wrapping pipes, couple aisles beyond electrical tapes... the old-style cloth-based 'friction' tape, among others.

We stock haybine bearings, rake guards too if anyone's interested. Sickle heads're proving hard to come by though, some locals are quite put out over this.

Oh for a store like that here. Spain used to have great hardware sores called Feretteria, probably the same root as "Ironmonger".

While pondering this, I see that Allen no longer makes them (perhaps what ACB was referencing) they are now manufactured by Crescent.

S P , when I was in Minnesota, there was still an independent hardware store a couple towns over, where they had, and knew the location, of just about anything - cordage was stored in the basement, and fed up through a slot in the front counter, and bulk nails were kept in galvanized bins. It was a trip back in time, just to stop in. . .

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by sp_clark View Post
    You just need to walk into the right kinda hardware store Hwyl, like the one I work in 3 days a week. I'd know exactly what you'd be asking about, as well as where they are in the store, then I'd ask whether Imperial or Metric?

Ask for insulating tape? I'd show you the white foam stuff we have for wrapping pipes, couple aisles beyond electrical tapes... the old-style cloth-based 'friction' tape, among others.

We stock haybine bearings, rake guards too if anyone's interested. Sickle heads're proving hard to come by though, some locals are quite put out over this.
    Do you carry snathes? I'm sure that they'd be in somewhat higher demand with the high price of diesel.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

I used to use allen wrenches daily working on molds and dies. We abused them, using cheaters, and the fasteners were hardened socket head cap screws. The absolute best are Wera Hex-Plus. The flats are slightly concave, which gives them a better bite, especially on dodgy fasteners. We handed them out to everyone, and banned the use of any other wrenches.

There's no such thing as a trivial tool gloat <G> Even the smallest tools, used infrequently, can make the difference between a smooth process and a headache.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

"Wera Hex-Plus" Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MushCreek View Post
    I used to use allen wrenches daily working on molds and dies. We abused them, using cheaters, and the fasteners were hardened socket head cap screws. The absolute best are Wera Hex-Plus. The flats are slightly concave, which gives them a better bite, especially on dodgy fasteners. We handed them out to everyone, and banned the use of any other wrenches.

Quote Originally Posted by john welsford View Post
    Do you carry snathes?
    Once in awhile one shows up. There may just be one lurking over in that corner of the store, I'll look Wednesday when I'm back on the clock. Aluminum, not ash.

[/QUOTE] I'm sure that they'd be in somewhat higher demand with the high price of diesel.[/QUOTE]

The Amish 'Walmart' nearby may have 'em in wood, they're big fans of the oat-power needed to run 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye54 View Post
    S P , when I was in Minnesota, there was still an independent hardware store a couple towns over, where they had, and knew the location, of just about anything - cordage was stored in the basement, and fed up through a slot in the front counter, and bulk nails were kept in galvanized bins. It was a trip back in time, just to stop in. . .
    6+ decades ago I grew up in a suburb of Chicago that had a hardware store like that. Wood floors, galvanized nail bins, cordage in barrels under counter, and an Eskimo Pie freezer up by the cash register. Must have been where I got 'infected' with this particular hardware bug I seem to have taken in at some earlier age. Customers marvel how I can tell the difference between a 10-32 fastener and the very similar M5-0.8 by sight.

Quote Originally Posted by MushCreek View Post
    The absolute best are Wera Hex-Plus.
    Agreed! I guard my set closely! Too 'non-trivial' to leave untended!!
    Last edited by sp_clark; 08-01-2022 at 06:56 PM.
    “When the people wanted the Constitution amended, it was amended. When the elites wanted the Constitution amended, but the people did not, that is called democracy."

–
    Thomas Sowell, JWR August 3, 2022

SP, I now have another tool that I 'absolutely need' thanks for the reference . I, too, grew up near Chicago - do you mind naming that suburb ?

Rick

Nah, no mind. Too long ago to care.

Arlington Heights until late '67. Don't recall the name of that place but it was right on Northwest Hiway across from the train station in town.

I also worked in Des Plaines during high school, you ever have need of anything from Kinder's Hardware, on the south side of the tracks?
    “When the people wanted the Constitution amended, it was amended. When the elites wanted the Constitution amended, but the people did not, that is called democracy."

–
    Thomas Sowell, JWR August 3, 2022

Head to the border.
    Hex keys and Allen keys.
    It doesn't hurt that "cle",the French word for "wrench" is the same as for "key"
    Silly Americans
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

duplicate.
    Last edited by Chippie; 08-03-2022 at 07:33 AM.

Do you sell gimp plns?

Real hardware stores are dying off fast. They're all getting eaten up by ACE and whatever the other national brand of Chinese made ****e is out there. There's a decent one by me, he had to take on ACE products to stay in business but he and his son know what they are selling, know where it is and dont give me blank stare when I ask for something odd. But it doesnt have a creaky screen door, doesnt have a worn wood floor with the nail heads polished and standing proud, doesnt smell like turpentine and there's no "Out back" with dusty bins of stuff and ingots of lead, odd pieces of pipe and boxes of oakem and a couple sheets of illegal Transite board.....

Quote Originally Posted by Chippie View Post
    Do you stock gimp pins?
    You can buy them online these days.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by willin woodworks View Post
    Real hardware stores are dying off fast. They're all getting eaten up by ACE and whatever the other national brand of Chinese made ****e is out there. There's a decent one by me, he had to take on ACE products to stay in business but he and his son know what they are selling, know where it is and dont give me blank stare when I ask for something odd. But it doesnt have a creaky screen door, doesnt have a worn wood floor with the nail heads polished and standing proud, doesnt smell like turpentine and there's no "Out back" with dusty bins of stuff and ingots of lead, odd pieces of pipe and boxes of oakem and a couple sheets of illegal Transite board.....
    There 'used to be' a neat place, similar to described, in Salisbury, NC - called the 'Okey-Dokey Store' , it had a basement crammed full of vintage / antique hardware and plumbing bits. The main floor was old stuff and an assortment of antiques and collectibles. It was well worth the drive just to browse. I say 'used to be' , because it was destroyed by fire under curious circumstances a few years back - owner-involvement could not be dismissed

When your hex keys get worn, you can recycle them into router plane blades. If they are the “ell” shaped type.

A lot of interesting tools here. https://toolsforworkingwood.com/store/index.php One of the few places you can still get a Holdfast. https://toolsforworkingwood.com/stor...MS-HOLDFAST.XX
    David Satter www.sattersrestoration.com
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" Ben Franklin

Great place. They hooked me up with a guy that files handsaws after CT Tool stopped a few years ago. Their backsaws are really nice.

But I think that holdfast is really a bench hook....

Do you sell gimp plns?
    Yes, if you’re referring to what I know as upholstery tacks.

Or I can order you what McMaster-Carr calls gimp pins -

https://www.mcmaster.com/gimp-pins/

- for a price.

A friend of mine was from Scotland. She got quite a stare from the pharmacist here when she told him that her son was starting first grade and she need to buy him some rubbers and wondered where they were located.

I
    Do you sell gimp plns?

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    You can buy them online these days.
    I was asking sp-clark Nick as he seems to be quite confident that they stock everything.

In the 50's I asked, at one of our local hardware stores for gimp pins, the store keeper smiled and said he hadn't been asked for those for years.
    I still have some somewhere.

Yes, if you’re referring to what I know as upholstery tacks.

Or I can order you what McMaster-Carr calls gimp pins -

https://www.mcmaster.com/gimp-pins/

- for a price.
    Those are they, good man, thanks.

Read my story above.

PS.
    Reading your link the ones they are offering are not what we called "gimp pins" which were quite small 1/2" at most and blackened to make them less obtrusive, they kept the decorative gimp that covered the main moquette covering tacks concealed.
    Last edited by Chippie; 08-03-2022 at 06:46 PM.

We have some decorative 'escutcheon pins' with largish, rounded heads that are textured, some with what look to be a hammered finish to 'em. Others more plain, similar to what's shown in the images on this page:

https://www.jhconklin.net/blog/2014/...ls-and-welting

What you're calling 'gimp' isn't something I know by that name, the decorative edging upholsters use for high-end work.

(That's one of the "problems" with the English language – particularly after being 'adapted' for the melting pot that is these United States around me – when it comes to how folks ask for things.)

I'd not yet encountered a gudgeon pin or pintle until after I graduated from college then built my first boat (scratch built stripper) in my parents garage. T'was during another recession some 50+ years ago when what I was earning at my first 'real' job wasn't enough to allow me to live closer to it for a couple of years. There was a hardware store near there that stocked ringshank bronze nails I used to nail the strips to the plywood frames though, so that part was relatively easy... and thanks Chippie for teaching me a couple of new words, even if one's French in origin.

Then there’s cow magnets….
    Last edited by sp_clark; 08-03-2022 at 08:38 PM.