Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: House names.

Default Re: House names.

I've mused over this off and on for years, as a gag, since I've always lived in pretty modest houses. I thought it would be humorous to name a small house on a typical non-descript residential neighborhood street, like the one I've now lived in for twenty years—two bedroom, one bath, a bare thousand square feet. But idly thinking about it, I've ususally got stopped by wondering how do you make it known that your house has a name, especially in a rectangle subdivision of a hundred plus similar houses, all with the standard number address? And I couldn't ever come up with a name that would be worth the bother.

There's a chance that residents of our neighborhood who we haven't been introduced to, who walk by on occasion, like to go to the park, would refer to our house if they had any reason to, as 'the house with the porch.' Since it is distinctive because of it. Every other house on our block, and probably the same for the entire six by six block neighborhood, built for returning GIs after WWII, have been remodeled and added onto in some way, over the decades of multiple owners. Except ours, which is the only one of the houses I know of, that has the original un-added-onto floorplan. But no one else in the neighborhood, in all that time, has had the same notion to develop the house by adding an expansive porch to the modest house, and they all have the original tiny concrete slab with a couple of four-by-four posts at the front door. It still gets remarked on by passersby all the time. I suppose we could tell the companies that bill us for various things to make the bills come to 'the house with the porch.' The neighborhood, one of several in West Sac, but also one of the oldest, just across the river from old Sacramento, is informally referred to as 'the states streets' because all the long streets of short blocks are named for a state. We live on Pennsylvania Avenue (sounds pretentious), between Delaware and Alabama, and the short cross blocks are numbered, our cross street at the end of the block is nineteenth avenue. We live on Pennsylvania between nineteenth and Memorial Park, the house with the porch.

I'm sure that for a decade recently past, it was known as the house with the big old red sailboat in the driveway. No one else has a vintage wooden, full-keeled sailboat with a bowsprit, though there are several glass powerboats of various sizes on trailers. "Well gee, that's an interesting boat. Isn't it hard to work on a wooden boat, doesn't it leak, aren't you afraid of it sinking? Can't you cover it with fiberglass?"
    Speak softly and carry a mouthful of marbles.

There used to be foreign feller owned a hobby farm near one of my mates places. He called his farm Bilongawog

We informally named our old home on the west side of Whidbey, but other than that have never indulged in the affectation.

As an aside, I also have always been baffled by people who name their cars, fer crissakes.
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Every Republican is an obstacle to progress.

When I got talked into teaching graphic design for the web at a night school, whenever I needed to have an example in a lesson that used a name for something, anything, I used 'Bob.' It got to be a thing.

I remember folks who named their dog 'Dog.'

Which reminds me of that Peter Sellers gag in one of his Inspector Clouseau movies.

"Excuse me, does your dog bite?"

"No."

He reaches out to pet the dog and it snaps at him.

"I thought you said your dog does not bite!"

"It's not my dog."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mahan View Post
    I've mused over this off and on for years, as a gag, since I've always lived in pretty modest houses. I thought it would be humorous to name a small house on a typical non-descript residential neighborhood street, like the one I've now lived in for twenty years—two bedroom, one bath, a bare thousand square feet. But idly thinking about it, I've ususally got stopped by wondering how do you make it known that your house has a name, especially in a rectangle subdivision of a hundred plus similar houses, all with the standard number address?
    In the UK, naming a house is an official matter.

To rename a named house, or to name a house with a number-only address, you have to apply to the local council and get approval from them (the council "liases" with/through the Royal Mail on this. Like vanity plates, the proposed name gets checked for things like obscenity and the like before approval.) Once approved, it in the councial and Royal Mail databases. Looks like the data gets recorded in the council records and gets published to the Royal Mail, the National Land and Property Gazetteer, and emergency services.

Having been approved the name and number must both be displayed such that they are clearly visible from the street
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mahan View Post
    I've mused over this off and on for years, as a gag, since I've always lived in pretty modest houses. I thought it would be humorous to name a small house on a typical non-descript residential neighborhood street, like the one I've now lived in for twenty years—two bedroom, one bath, a bare thousand square feet. But idly thinking about it, I've ususally got stopped by wondering how do you make it known that your house has a name, especially in a rectangle subdivision of a hundred plus similar houses, all with the standard number address? And I couldn't ever come up with a name that would be worth the bother.

There's a chance that residents of our neighborhood who we haven't been introduced to, who walk by on occasion, like to go to the park, would refer to our house if they had any reason to, as 'the house with the porch.' Since it is distinctive because of it. Every other house on our block, and probably the same for the entire six by six block neighborhood, built for returning GIs after WWII, have been remodeled and added onto in some way, over the decades of multiple owners. Except ours, which is the only one of the houses I know of, that has the original un-added-onto floorplan. But no one else in the neighborhood, in all that time, has had the same notion to develop the house by adding an expansive porch to the modest house, and they all have the original tiny concrete slab with a couple of four-by-four posts at the front door. It still gets remarked on by passersby all the time. I suppose we could tell the companies that bill us for various things to make the bills come to 'the house with the porch.' The neighborhood, one of several in West Sac, but also one of the oldest, just across the river from old Sacramento, is informally referred to as 'the states streets' because all the long streets of short blocks are named for a state. We live on Pennsylvania Avenue (sounds pretentious), between Delaware and Alabama, and the short cross blocks are numbered, our cross street at the end of the block is nineteenth avenue. We live on Pennsylvania between nineteenth and Memorial Park, the house with the porch.

I'm sure that for a decade recently past, it was known as the house with the big old red sailboat in the driveway. No one else has a vintage wooden, full-keeled sailboat with a bowsprit, though there are several glass powerboats of various sizes on trailers. "Well gee, that's an interesting boat. Isn't it hard to work on a wooden boat, doesn't it leak, aren't you afraid of it sinking? Can't you cover it with fiberglass?"
    Clearly the name should be Porched
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    We informally named our old home on the west side of Whidbey, but other than that have never indulged in the affectation.

As an aside, I also have always been baffled by people who name their cars, fer crissakes.
    Unless it fits, as in The Gods Must Be Crazy in which the Landrover was called The Antichrist
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post

A friend & I had a GT40 kit car on a VW chassis. We called it "The abortion". Trust me, it fit.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Join a car club, you'll soon be wondering what Enid Blyton or Harry Potter book you just fell into.

There are 20 houses on our road all are named not numbered.
    My house built 1906 originally named after its view. It's on the foundations of the village pub which closed in 1895 so then it had a royal connected name for the previous several hundred years.

Of The three houses in my section of the village,
    Two have (farm name,) cottage, or bungalow, for the farm half a mile away that owns them.
    The other is named after the current farm owners grandmother who used to live there.

All you need to get something today is
    House name,
    Postcode.

However royal mail, likes you to put the nearest postal sorting town.
    So
    House name,

Town,
    Post code.

To help home deliveries, I've painted the house name in 1 ft high letters on each side of the drive way on the entranceway walls. Next year will be replaced by inset ceramic tiles the same size. ( New walls being given a year to settle, before being pargetted).
    The name is also on the window above the front door and made in steel in the pedestrian gate.
    Last edited by The Q; 07-30-2022 at 12:58 AM.
    Just an amateur bodging away..

While I was trying to get building permission to build a 'proper' house on some land, I built a wooden house as a temp measure. Some friends turned up one day and gave me a ceramic plaque that said '24 Upfield' Well, it was up in a field and they saw the plaque in a local pottery. Had a firing defect so was in the reject bin, cheap.

Never did get the permission, but one day the planning lot visited and wanted to buy my land. I said, sure, if you exchange it for a similar patch, but with permission.
    Deal. Apparently they wanted to build a football stadium and my bit was right in the middle...

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey View Post
    In the UK, naming a house is an official matter.

To rename a named house, or to name a house with a number-only address, you have to apply to the local council and get approval from them (the council "liases" with/through the Royal Mail on this. Like vanity plates, the proposed name gets checked for things like obscenity and the like before approval.) Once approved, it in the councial and Royal Mail databases. Looks like the data gets recorded in the council records and gets published to the Royal Mail, the National Land and Property Gazetteer, and emergency services.

Having been approved the name and number must both be displayed such that they are clearly visible from the street
    Total rubbish, I'm afraid.
    When I built my new house 15 years ago, I chose the name and told the council and Post Office what it would be. Didn't have to get any sort of official approval, but if I had called it Dunbollocking I think they might have objections.
    (ETA: my neighbour got away with Llamedos...)
    I still do not even know what the street number is, let alone being asked to display it.
    I changed the name of a previous house, and simply informed the council and GPO of the change. No problems.
    Last edited by birlinn; 07-30-2022 at 06:26 AM.

For years, until the mid 1980s Vashon Island had no addresses. When E911 was proposed, street addresses had to be created. Until then, folks would dial a 7 digit number and say, Im in the green house after you turn at the Jesus Barn.
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

Now I regret that we don't live on a hill, or up atop a ridge. If we did, I'd gladly adopt the name 'High Entropy'. With two toddlers, one rambunctious dog, 4 adults, and a brazillion cats... it'd be highly apt.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew2 View Post
    While I was trying to get building permission to build a 'proper' house on some land, I built a wooden house as a temp measure. Some friends turned up one day and gave me a ceramic plaque that said '24 Upfield' Well, it was up in a field and they saw the plaque in a local pottery. Had a firing defect so was in the reject bin, cheap.

Never did get the permission, but one day the planning lot visited and wanted to buy my land. I said, sure, if you exchange it for a similar patch, but with permission.
    Deal. Apparently they wanted to build a football stadium and my bit was right in the middle...
    Opportunity missed there! Imagine the price you could have charged for tickets! How many seats command a 360 degree view?!
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Clearly the name should be Porched
    When it’s to sit and relax and I give my Wife the heads-up where I’ll be, I tell Her, “I’m going out to porchify.”

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Opportunity missed there! Imagine the price you could have charged for tickets! How many seats command a 360 degree view?!
    I did mention something about opening a Mc D's, but they had no sense of humour... (Or were worried I was not joking) My patch was most of the ptch, but it could have worked if it had been a stand.

Quote Originally Posted by JayInOz View Post
    There used to be foreign feller owned a hobby farm near one of my mates places. He called his farm Bilongawog
    Ted Egan named his place Sinkatinnie Downs.
    I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned

My place was called Serendipity when I first chose the spot, because I found a spring higher up the hill. I was able to gravity feed from it.
    I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Not our house, but our "Squirrel Barn" .
    We sleep in it most of the summer. Got wood heat and a fold down boat sink! The red Kitchen Queen is fulla booze.

My son is the license plate king

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye54 View Post
    My house in Minnesota was 'the old Vogen place' the entire 15 years I lived there ( gotta love small towns ) - - alternatively , it was ' the house Sam Mapes built back in 1903' (Sam's youngest daughter, then 95, used to stop in the driveway to remember her days in the house - would never come inside )
    My house is the exact same vintage, and we're pretty sure it was occupied only by the original family (counting marriages in) until we bought it in 2009. ("Pretty sure" only because the closest census data we have is 1908, not 1903.)

What are you doing about it?