Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: House names.

Default House names.

In the US, most addresses lack poetry- 1143 West 57th street just does not do it.
    Here in the UK, after centuries of no planning and an often awkward populace, not every house has a number, just a name. Mine is likewise, the name being one of the deserted cleared villages on the west of the island. At least the present post codes narrow the field a bit.
    However, there are horrors; when I lived in Nottinghamshire, I had "Thistledo" and "Mineanerz" as near neighbours.
    On Mull, I have "Llamedos" round the corner (read backwards, as Dylan Thomas's Llareggub).
    No "Dunroamins", but I believe there is a "Dunpayin" somewhere.

Anyone else got examples?

Default Re: House names.

Quote Originally Posted by birlinn View Post
    In the US, most addresses lack poetry- 1143 West 57th street just does not do it.
    Here in the UK, after centuries of no planning and an often awkward populace, not every house has a number, just a name. Mine is likewise, the name being one of the deserted cleared villages on the west of the island. At least the present post codes narrow the field a bit.
    However, there are horrors; when I lived in Nottinghamshire, I had "Thistledo" and "Mineanerz" as near neighbours.
    On Mull, I have "Llamedos" round the corner (read backwards, as Dylan Thomas's Llareggub).
    No "Dunroamins", but I believe there is a "Dunpayin" somewhere.

Anyone else got examples?
    We do that here sometimes also. My best friend built himself a cute little cottage on acreage up in the Columbia River Gorge... with a superb view of Mt. Hood to his immediate South across the river. He intends to name it, but hasn't settled anything. A decision is complicated by the fact that our wider circle of friends is torn between support for two names: Muttering Oaks; Withering Pines. Neither of which, for some reason, he finds acceptable. <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Deserted cleared villages is an interesting concept. Was a village and got erased?

I live at guilty.roof.stone.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    Deserted cleared villages is an interesting concept. Was a village and got erased?
    Google "Scottish Highland Clearances".
    Not a happy time.

Jeeze

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

All associated with the new or old aristocracy and were more common in the 1800's. My ggrandfather's house was called the Orchards, my mother's grandfather's home was called Shadowbrook; a 100 bedroom summer retreat. He went broke and sold the home to Carngie The Cooper family as in JFCooper's home was called Heathcote. Still lived in by family members

Heck, you've got Jeffewrson's home, Washington't home, Andrew Jackson's home and those are just a few that come to mind

Air bnb and the like has brought a rash of property naming to the country in the past few years, we're still just number.
    After watching fleeing rabbits in the driveway of our place recently I suggested Bunnyopolis to my wife, she thinks not.
    I mounted and arranged a couple of those big queen palm seed pods above our number post as a passive protest....

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    I live at guilty.roof.stone.
    So I guess what3words dot com hasn’t caught on.

With the toddlers living here now... I suggested 'Rampage' for our house recently. Got chuckles, but no votes.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

So how do you find a named house if it has no street address?

I guess it works for a small village, but not a town or city.
    What's not on a boat costs nothing, weighs nothing, and can't break

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post

The mailbox of course. St. Michaels puts all mail in mailboxes for residents.

" you turn left at the gray house that burned down ten years ago, then go right after old McMaster's barn that fell down back in the 60's "

Ours has 'Woodbine' on the gate. Nameplate brought from their old house by grandparents when they immigrated in 1926. Now it travels with us.

My house in Minnesota was 'the old Vogen place' the entire 15 years I lived there ( gotta love small towns ) - - alternatively , it was ' the house Sam Mapes built back in 1903' (Sam's youngest daughter, then 95, used to stop in the driveway to remember her days in the house - would never come inside )

The weekly rental thing has caused two of the houses out of the 7 on our road to be named. One is Driftwood cottage and the other is Lighthouse Cottage. We refer to out place as "Our House". One neighbor has started renting out his travel trailer. He calls it "Cougar Island Cottage" - it is a Cougar brand trailer. He is doing quite well with it at $200 a night. It is parked in his yard connected to sewer, water and electricity.

My mother wanted to name our house "High Entropy"
    I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

It doesn't work for villages, trust me.

When I was online-food-delivering, my heart sank when I saw 'Aberfoyle' on the destination list. There, one postcode runs for about a mile north out of the small town. Your six minutes delivery timer started the moment you entered the postcode area. And there you'd be, trickling down the road, reading unpronounceable Gaelic names one-by-one, trying to spot 'Anteachmhor' out of hundreds. In the dark. While it was snowing.

Andy
    "In case of fire ring Fellside 75..."

Had a rather eccentric Dentist friend that named his property Tooth Acres. Always loved that one.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye54 View Post
    " you turn left at the gray house that burned down ten years ago, then go right after old McMaster's barn that fell down back in the 60's "
    ^ This. Another fave is "turn at the Parker Beane house". Parker died in 1920-something - and the house has been owned by 3 or 4 other families since.

A friend had a boundary corner described in the deed as "big manure pile". The deed was from the 1800's. The neighbors got together one day (beer was involved) & drove a pipe into the ground where all agreed they thought it was.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Houses on both Nantucket as well as Martha’s Vineyard often have names… I’m not sure if it’s traditional, or merely trendy.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Around here, naming a house is seen as pretentious - as it's pretty much only done by folks with a lot of money & lots of No Trespassing signs.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

I live in my old neighborhood. My brother and I refer to houses by the names of people who haven't lived there for 40 or 50 years but all of them do have street addresses
    What's not on a boat costs nothing, weighs nothing, and can't break

I've lived at Crystal Range, Loch Haven, Glenn Heather, Alpha, Gundowda, Wilga, West Ridge, Cahokia and Karingal. My Dad grew up on Bank O' Doon and worked for years on Victoria River Downs (13,800 sq miles) JayInOz

way back when I was making extra cash taking apart "yank tanks" and selling the parts overseas through ebay. I sent part of a 72 Caddy to "dragons roost" somewhere in the UK.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Depending...

Something like

John Smith
    Rose Cottage
    Castle Combe
    Chippenham
    SN14 7HT

If the named building also has a number assigned, then

John Smith
    Rose Cottage
    23 The Street
    Castle Combe
    Chippenham
    SN14 7HT

Bear in mind that Castle Combe has about 350 inhabitants, and 11 post codes.

[and, yes, "The Street" is the name of the main drag in Castle Combe.]
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

I knew a guy called Nigel who was wondering whether to name the block of rural land he had bought. He wasn't too keen on my suggestion of 'Nige Area'.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

In 1978 & 9 I drove buses for Greyline Tours. The owner, whose name i I can’t recall, announced that he was selling and returning to his family home in Maine. He thanked all the drivers and said, if you’re in the neighborhood please stop by. His address was Old Stone House, Bath, Maine.

UPDATE:It came to me. Mr. Cedargren
    Last edited by Jim Bow; 07-28-2022 at 09:55 PM.
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

I knew some people who bought a house in the hills behind Perth, Western Australia. They wanted to name the house but couldn't decide, so they decided to find out the name of the tree in front of the house and name it after that. The tree was called a Persoonia longifolia, commonly known as snottygobble.
    I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned

Post code and Sat Nav to start and then an earnest hunt of a small area - usually a street.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Quote Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
    It doesn't work for villages, trust me.

When I was online-food-delivering, my heart sank when I saw 'Aberfoyle' on the destination list. There, one postcode runs for about a mile north out of the small town. Your six minutes delivery timer started the moment you entered the postcode area. And there you'd be, trickling down the road, reading unpronounceable Gaelic names one-by-one, trying to spot 'Anteachmhor' out of hundreds. In the dark. While it was snowing.

Andy

This is where what London cabbies would call "The Knowledge" comes in handy.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

My house was “the Olson house” but I’ve lived here longer than the Olsons and outlived all but two houses who knew the Olsons.

I like to call it The House of the Seven Gables because, well, it has.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Ross View Post
    My house was &ldquo;the Olson house&rdquo; but I&rsquo;ve lived here longer than the Olsons and outlived all but two houses who knew the Olsons.

I like to call it The House of the Seven Gables because, well, it has.

Just turn right where the old gas station used to be. Then a left by the old Olsen place

When I was a kid, summer cottages in CT often had names. Indian names like 'Pocahontas' were popular. We call our place Daisy Hill Farm, although it's not a real farm (we mostly grow weeds).

I think the classic is Iona but then there are thematic approaches like this:

https://www.ourtasmania.com.au/hobar...holiday%20home.
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret