Thread: Brockway Skiff Plans

Default Brockway Skiff Plans

I've decided I'm going to build a Brockway Skiff this winter.
    I want to build a 12' for the kids and either a 14', 16', 20' for my self.
    I'd like to review the plans for these before deciding.

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of these Plans.

Also, if anyone has built one and still has these plans, I would be glad to compensate them for their plans.

I looking forward to this project.

Thanks,

Default Re: Brockway Skiff Plans

There are a couple of PDFs at the link below - not exactly formal plans, but might be enough to get going...
    Of course, you might have seen these already....

https://downeastboatforum.com/thread...f-plans.32418/
    Sometimes you've gotta leave the kibble out where the slow dogs can get some....
    ... Roy Blount, Jr.

Hi,

Yes, I have seen these. These best represent just the 14'
    But thanks for responding.

Odd. with all the Brockways out there the original plans aren't more available.

Thanks for responding.

I owned a number of Brockways over the years, and even knew the man himself. His shop was only about 10 miles from where I grew up in CT. From what I remember of his place, I don't think old Earl ever used much in the way of plans. I used to build boats the same way- a single mold frame in the middle, with precut sides bent around it and fastened at the stem and transom. Fit in some chine logs, plane them flat, and glue and nail on a bottom. His boats were mostly (all?) exterior plywood, fastened with hot-dipped galvanized nails and Weldwood Plastic Resin glue. IIRC, in the early 70's, an unpainted 14' was about $200. I've seen some plans online, and imagine that they were taken off of existing hulls.

I did quite a bit of research on the Brockway-type skiff design before I started my project, and, IMHO, the plans that Walter Baron (Old Wharf Dory) drew for his "Lumber Yard Skiff" are very easy for modern first-time boatbuilders to follow, and have a few improvements over the original Brockway design. There are numerous DIY videos out there of Walter's boats being built, as well. I used Walter's basic design, but modified it to suit my particular needs.
    I also looked into a similar Brockway-styled skiff, called the "Ladybug Skiff", but to me at least, that design was too heavy in its scantlings, and did not offer the same refinements that Walter Baron's design had. To me, at least, the $50 or so that Walter's plans/instruction booklet cost was the best investment that I made for my project. Consider it as another "tool".
    NOTE:
    I'm not trying to sell or commercially promote any one designer or builder over another, but only offering my own personal opinion based on my experience. Whichever design you follow, Good Luck!

Megabyte - DM me.
    Sunnies , Skiffs and Sand.....