Thread: The end of Admiralty paper charts?

Default The end of Admiralty paper charts?

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/u...art-production

I'm not sure how I feel about this.

I seldom use paper charts. However knowing I have some on board, together with dividers and a hand-bearing compass, does give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. Perhaps its just harking back to days past?

I guess a chartplotter and Google on a smartphone as backup gets you just about anywhere safely enough.

Default Re: The end of Admiralty paper charts?

I think that's unfortunate for the small boat sailor. When electricity is down, one relies on paper charts. There will be plenty around to buy for decades of course. While I admit I'm not fantastic at it I enjoy chart work, and use them first, confirming if possible on plotters when necessary.

Decades old charts work well on rocky coastlines, but where there are shifting sandbanks, it's a whole different game.
    I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

I think the charts I have will be enough for the years I have left, along with the Yeoman to go with them. Also, nothing to stop you updating the old ones. That used to be normal? GPS is handheld, so not dependant on boat power source. Around here, the eyeball does most of it..

This surprises me. Power does go out, batteries go dead, satellites have problems, and if there's a war, an EMP strike would knock out most all electronics - including GPS.

Maybe they figure no ships would work after an EMP strike?
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

NOAA stopped with paper charts in the U.S., but paper charts have not disappeared. Private chartmakers still sell them, based off the NOAA data. Seems to be the same availability as ever as far as I can tell. And I use nothing but paper charts. (Well, sometimes I use topo maps instead, but not for big waters where charts are available).

Seems like the same will be true in the UK--paper charts will still be there, just not government-printed charts:

In parallel, we will develop viable, official digital alternatives for sectors still using paper chart products.
    Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

Imray charts didn't cheap out at the printing of colours from back in the day, and are the right way around: with shallower white and deeper regions blue!

This is better to my logic and what I buy.

Than Admiralty. People said you could write on the vast expanse of white though. I read it was penny pinching by the gov once to save on ink for the ocean charts to have deeper areas white and shallower areas blue.

Last edited by Edward Pearson; 07-27-2022 at 10:07 AM.

I still use the "print on demand" NOAA charts from these guys http://www.paracay.com/
    And if you buy them through Amazon they are less expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    This surprises me. Power does go out, batteries go dead, satellites have problems, and if there's a war, an EMP strike would knock out most all electronics - including GPS.

Maybe they figure no ships would work after an EMP strike?
    No need for an EMP strike. The first casualty of war used to be Truth, but now it's GPS. They "dumb down" the GPS data, or encrypt it, to make it harder for enemy cruise missiles and other munitions guidance systems to accurately find their targets. At least, they started doing that during the Gulf War.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cleek View Post
    No need for an EMP strike. The first casualty of war used to be Truth, but now it's GPS. They "dumb down" the GPS data, or encrypt it, to make it harder for enemy cruise missiles and other munitions guidance systems to accurately find their targets. At least, they started doing that during the Gulf War.
    Good point - I'd forgotten that.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

A merchant ship’s electronic chart system is triplicated, does not depend on a generator and is isolated from the Internet.

A point made by UKHO for decades now is that all their paper charts are printed from electronic originals.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

If there's a war in which we are enduring EMP strikes and satellite take-downs, I'm pretty sure navigating my recreational boat will drop to the bottom of my priority list.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cleek View Post
    Sorta – errors were added to GPS signals from the beginning (military GPS units could remove the error but civilian units could not). This was actually temporarily paused during the Gulf War because the US military didn't have enough GPS receivers and had to use civilian ones. The signal errors were permanently removed in 2000 because they had been made obsolete by effective workarounds. I remember people going gaga over how accurate their GPS units suddenly were, thinking it was some technological leap forward rather than a government policy change.

At the time of the Kuwait war, also known as Desert Storm, I was invited to attend some British intelligence briefings as an operator of British ships trading into the AG. I remember that the reason Iraq’s SCUD missiles were so inaccurate was that Russia had turned GLONASS off, as a friendly gesture.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

It is sad but not shocking,

Charts are available on many GPS devices and are printable if linked. I can print all my charts from NavX directly from my iPad linked to my convenient or iPhone. Once I do that, i put them in a waterproof folder to be stored on the boat for the sailing. If you download the charts on your tablet or iPhone as backup that are nice, convenient and easy to store. It is going to be a rare day but when that happens that personally printed chart, a sextant, a compass, a windup clock and a pencil can get you home safely.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 07-28-2022 at 02:14 PM.
    Without friends none of this is possible.