Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phillip Allen

Default Phillip Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Allen View Post
    I just got tired of having the same political argument every day
    4 years now. I still miss him. He was ironic but lovable.
    Without friends none of this is possible.

Default Re: Phillip Allen

+1 on missing him and his reasons

Just before Jack Grebe passed I took him off of my ignore list and I was glad I did and we came to a point were although we agreed to disagree we got along. I attempted the same thing with Phillip Allen to absolutely no avail. While I feel bad about his passing, sadly I do not miss his "contributions" to this forum whatsoever.

He was a man of extremely limited perspective and limited vision who focused narrowly on either stirring the political pot or ................ GUNS !!!

I feel bad for his family and any life lost but his contributions to this forum are not missed by me.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

an ornery old cuss

but he was our ornery old cuss

no matter how much peerie maa tries he cant fill his shoes
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    an ornery old cuss

P.Maa? P.Maa????

Well... I like THAT!!!!

Phillip reminded me of some of my relatives. Essentially good-hearted folks who are ignorant, stubborn, wrong-headed, and entrenched in their bigotry and perversity.

As a BilgeRat - more noise than signal.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Phillip really struggled with the modern world. I've almost finished off the jar of honey he brought me a few years ago.

I recall him every time I see that jar in the fridge.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

There used to be a camaraderie here. People supported each other no matter how different or obscure their views.
    Meerkat is probably the ultimate example.
    i find it sad that Phillip didn’t feel he could look to us for support during his final months. I think that he and Spindrift talked regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    There used to be a camaraderie here. People supported each other no matter how different or obscure their views.
    Meerkat is probably the ultimate example.
    i find it sad that Phillip didn’t feel he could look to us for support during his final months. I think that he and Spindrift talked regularly.
    This. Thank you for putting it that way and reaffriming what we know/knew we had and among a few still do.

I once called him, it was not about guns or politics but a real interest in other shared things (about travel abroad and life). I wished I had met him in person. I would have done my best to have gotten him to where we were going but by then he was not up for it.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 07-26-2022 at 08:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    This. Thank you for putting it that way and reaffriming what we know/knew we had and among a few still do.

I once called him, it was not about guns or politics but a real interest in other shared things (about travel abroad and life). I wished I had met him in person. I would have done my best to have gotten him to where we were going but by then he was not up for it.
    I met him in person he refused to shake my hand, thats all I needed to know about him.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    I met him in person he refused to shake my hand, thats all I needed to know about him.
    Thats too bad. It is easy to try to put baby in the corner in all this dirty dancing. Maybe missing perceptions vs reality - we often are not what we appear to be here in the forum. You reminded a few folks of that this week. I will try to do the same for others as it used to be.

Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 07-26-2022 at 08:48 PM.

I liked Phillip, and fwiw always wished he'd have talked more about the things he knew so well. Masonry. Muzzle loading rifles, etc. I'd have loved it if I'd had a chance for him to teach me to shoot one.

I felt like Phillip receded though, both disliking political discussions and also becoming far less willing to honestly engage in them, though he could not stay out of them.

It's not unusual for folks to recede like this, but it brings us to the topic of one of those cognitive decline threads..
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    Thats too bad. It is easy to try to put baby in the corner in all this dirty dancing. Maybe missing perceptions vs reality - we often are not what we appear to be here in the forum. You reminded a few folks of that this week. I will try to do the same for others as it used to be.
    I hoped for the same. Unfortunately, PA was exactly as he appeared here, in person he would talk incessantly about guns to the point that people would walk away.

I'm not a huge fan of firearms, but I find them interesting from a technical perspective and really enjoyed his black powder threads. His politics not so much, and the guns he allegedly had hidden under every table, benchtop and pillow in his home....oh boy.

Pete
    The Ignore feature, lowering blood pressure since 1862. Ahhhhhhh.

Phillip Allen, gave the Bilge another dimension. His interest in firearms coincided with Paladin's experience of life.
    I got more guns than any Drumpf'er I know of. I miss those guys. The Bilge is a dry hole for shooting talk these days.

I think if you put in the time here, regardless of your POV, then that has merit to the community. Phillip spent a lot of time here. In fact, it appears Phillip still lives rent free in more than a few forumite’s minds on this very thread.

Forum would benefit from an area where the deceased are noted. Plenty of memoriam threads to populate it already. I believe that in the end, as the forum withers, it’ll just be Lee Baxter and my fellow Gen X’ers talking about ebikes, dogs, impossible burger recipes, and whether or not the Pete Buttigieg Presidential Library should rightly be in Indiana or Michigan.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

what do you see, timothy....what do you see?

I miss Meerkat more…….

I had the pleasure of sailing with Phillip from Maine to Newfoundland. He was kind and wise in person, and the best shipmate you could wish for.

It's sad to think that he probably wouldn't survive in today's Bilge. The mob would hound him into quitting or getting banned. That's the sort of place we have become.

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

I liked Phillip but, after a weekend listening to his constant chatter every waking mo,ment, I could only deal with him in small doses. True about guns, I'd rather talk about bees myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    an ornery old cuss

Weellll, I suppose I could try to work crash helmets in cars into every discussion?
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

de mortuis nil nisi bonum dicendum est
    I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

Quote Originally Posted by Yeadon View Post
    I think if you put in the time here, regardless of your POV, then that has merit to the community. Phillip spent a lot of time here. In fact, it appears Phillip still lives rent free in more than a few forumite’s minds on this very thread.

Forum would benefit from an area where the deceased are noted. Plenty of memoriam threads to populate it already. I believe that in the end, as the forum withers, it’ll just be Lee Baxter and my fellow Gen X’ers talking about ebikes, dogs, impossible burger recipes, and whether or not the Pete Buttigieg Presidential Library should rightly be in Indiana or Michigan.
    That's not a bad idea. The memorial area I mean. Everybody knows that Pete's Presidential Library should be in the town that elected him Mayor in the first place, and set him off on his historic political juggernaut.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

What little I learned about masonry, and I learned quite a bit when we were remodeling the house, I learned from Phillip.

Phillip at his best

Pretty cool that the real Botebum’s posts are still here in the archives.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    Pretty cool that the real Botebum’s posts are still here in the archives.
    Yep, I liked Botebum the First a lot.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

It's not the same Botebum? What's even real anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

I have no idea how the software could allow a new member to take the same username of a longtime poster even after a lifetime ban.

Obviously the new Botebum is but a mere shadow of the real Botebum.

The new Botebum is Boatbum.... just a minor change in spelling. Do wonder though if a person can take over an old screen name. Hope not.

Quote Originally Posted by elf View Post
    Phillip really struggled with the modern world. I've almost finished off the jar of honey he brought me a few years ago.

I recall him every time I see that jar in the fridge.
    Aww snap! I was just thinking the same about the soap he made for us. Phillip was the unapologetic real deal. He was from a different time. And he tried hard to be a good grandfather; I do remember that.

I liked Phillip, he was set in his ways politically which was frustrating, but he was a nice man
    He knew a lot about masonry and black powder guns (and others) which he shared with anyone that asked. He took good care of a messed up family which was honorable. I miss him

Miss him too. In the end, he succumbed to the one-sidedness of the Bilge. In which you might take the time to explain a position to one person, and three others will pick your words apart. I don't remember talking about guns this day...

PA1.jpg
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”― Mark Twain,

B-dub he shook a fellow amosexual hand, I'M NOT SURPRISED

this is my experience - Absolute no handshakes, sourpuss, and 100% conversation about GUNS 100% of the time

Screen Shot 2022-07-27 at 10.39.10 PM.jpg

..... and I haven’t thought about or mentioned him since this thread, so NO he doesn't live rent free anywhere in anyones mind.
    No I don't miss him. I do miss Jake Grebe, Meerkat, Paladin, Norm Messenger, Glen Longo, etc etc etc that have crossed over the bar, even Philip Allen.
    Last edited by Joe (SoCal); 07-28-2022 at 01:05 AM.

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

JOE, thanks for the memories. Lots of people on board Airlie was pretty low in the water if I remember,

I enjoyed my interactions with Philip.

While repairing my front steps, I asked him by PM for guidance and he freely gave it.

I also often remember his posts about his morning kaffee klatch with his fellows. Moving the meeting to ( or from?) a McDonalds where a cup was just a buck. And his references to his grandkids.

RIP

Kevin

Edit: Joe, people will often live up, or down, to our expectations. I can't say for sure, of course, but consider that you might have gotten the PA you expected.

K
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.