Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bedding compound…yet again

Default Bedding compound…yet again

Getting ready to reattach the 2” white oak bullnose (and other trim and hardware) to Snoose’s fore cabin where I’ve just resurfaced the top with 1/4” fir ply, glass and epoxy. I assumed I was going to do so using Dolfinite or Interlux bedding compound only to discover these things no longer seem to exist.

So in searching the forum, I’ve come up with a couple of 8-10 year old threads, in one of which Bob Smalser talks about using Vulkem 116 poly plumbers putty. Is that still a reasonable option?

Default Re: Bedding compound…yet again

I don't think Dolfinite is quite gone yet from the West Marine website. I've had luck picking up a few things from there in recent months.

What about bedding with one of the less permanent Sikaflex 291 or Boat Life / Life Seal options? I've used these for similar uses, but admittedly to various levels of satisfaction in comparison to Dolfinite. For hardware, you could also consider butyl tape.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Dolfinite is still listed at both Fisheries and West Marine, but both have been out of stock for quite a while. Plus even if found, it’s over $70/qt. I wouldn’t mind considering viable options. Maybe Sika or Life.

I see Defender has Dolfinite listed in stock at $46. But then shipping.
    Last edited by ron ll; 07-26-2022 at 04:26 PM.

I have been using 3M automotive strip caulk (as a bedding) for years

$77 a quart is insane. You want to know why? Read the SDS: https://www.pettitpaint.com/media/50...an-english.pdf

The two major "hazardous materials," 20% by volume each, are... wait for it... soybean and menhaden fish oil. (The others are common solvents.) Keep in mind that this is not to old fashioned "Dolphinite Fungicidal Bedding Compound" they used to sell which had rot-preventing fungicide in it. This is the "dumbed-down-for-your-safety" stuff.

This is the problem with so many products which used to be sold with the assumption that one would use common sense when using them. Now we have legions of technical writers churning out "safety" instructions to accompany everything under the sun. "Warning: Battery acid may be hazardous to your health. Do not drink!"

The prices go up and up and products like Dolphinite, primarily a bedding compound for wooden boats, don't sell enough to warrant the "shelf space." The retailers quit carrying it and the manufacturers quit making it. Then we find ourselves back in the dark ages using what grandpa used to cook up on his own.

Perhaps George III at Kirby's can cook up a substitute for Dolphinite. It would probably be a profitable addition to his specialty line, unless, of course, the environmental regulations push the price beyond all imagining.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, while the stuff is wicked messy, but cleans up easily with mineral spirits, Henry's roofing "Wet Patch" is a good substitute. I expect it can be thickened with cabosil or the like if one is so inclined. It's been used in traditional builds for bedding compound on structural faying surfaces for ages and ages.

Boatlife polysulfide is good stuff.

Good old Henry's

2. HAZARDS IDENTIFICATION
    Classification
    OSHA Regulatory Status
    and Canadian Workplace Hazardous Material Information System (WHMIS)
    Skin corrosion/irritationCategory 2
    Serious eye damage/eye irritationCategory 2A
    Specific target organ toxicity (single exposure)Category 3
    Label elements
    Emergency Overview
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Page1/9
    SAFETY DATA SHEET
    Manufacturer Address
    HENRY COMPANY
    999 N. Pacific Coast Hwy., Suite 800
    El Segundo, CA 90245-2716
    Web Site: www.henry.com www.ca.henry.com
    Warning
    Issue Date25-Jan-2016
    Hazard statements
    Causes skin irritation
    Causes serious eye irritation
    May cause respiratory irritation. May cause drowsiness or dizziness
    Flammable liquid

So benign in comparison the dolfinite....The menhaden fish oil is nasty nasty stuff!

I use Dolfinite to seal my bilgeboard cases, once set up it takes some doing to separate the pieces for maintenance but you can get them to part ways cleanly. How "permanent" is Henry's?
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

As much as I love henrys roof patch and have used it a ton as bedding compound I wouldn't recommend it in this application. Put bluntly It won't paint for ****, I'd likely either choose to use sika or try out one of the linseed oil putties.

Nicholas

Ron, have you tried Admiral Ship Supply in Port Townsend. If anyone has it in the area, they will.

Jeff

2nd Boatlife polysulphide...
    But this time around I used Quad sealant from Home cheapo...
    About 8 bucks a tube.....very rubbery....
    Cheap enough to buy a tube to try out.
    I have no complaints so far.

You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Some DIY recipes from George Buehler, Pete Culler, WBF forum members and other reprobate boat builders for your consideration.

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...dding-compound

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Some DIY recipes from George Buehler, Pete Culler, WBF forum members and other reprobate boat builders for your consideration.

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...dding-compound

Kevin
    I would consider “reprobate boat builder” a badge of honor here...prolly with the sense you wrote it.

I also have used Vulkem for applications that would need to be taken apart, lots of colors, John Latta Company

I think the butyl tape would be okay if my faying surfaces were smaller and more uniform. The bullnose is 2” net and slightly concave. The surface on the boat is over a glass cloth edge and some uneven wood. Although I’ve cleaned it up pretty well, there are places where the bedding will be a bit thicker than others. Thinking of going with Sika unless anyone here throws down some red flags.

You will have to plane those trim pieces off if you use sika...
    Take a look at this stuff: stays soft won't leak out of the seam.
    Search 3M for the number and read all about it.
    I like it

9A73C293-8558-45CE-B9F8-BE8C89E7B54E.jpg

Thanks Jake, I’ll check it out.

It's weird that Interlux has discontinued their Boatyard Bedding Compound, and Dolphinite isn't what it used to be.

Seems like there'd be a market for Kirby PaInt or somebody to make the stuff.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Quote Originally Posted by pcford View Post
    Yes. Out of stock.

Ron,
    speaking as a professional who has done exactly this job numerous times I wouldn’t hesitate to use Sika. It’s not my personal favorite product but in this application it is appropriate.

Nicholas

Default Bedding compound…yet again

Seattle Marine and Fishing Supply, down by Fisherman's Terminal, says they have Dolphinite in stock.

https://www.seamar.com/item/ADC3400Q...ND-NATURAL-QT/

And LFS, who seems to have moved over to Fisherman's Terminal (they used to be just off Leary Way), right next to Sea-Mar, lists it at $59/quart . . . But shows it as out of stock with a 3-6 week lead time.

https://www.go2marine.com/Pettit-Pai...dding-Compound

West Marine says it's in stock in the Seattle store, over by Trader Joe's. Only in natural/tan - white is out of stock.

$9.44 per pint, or

$73.99 per quart

https://www.westmarine.com/pettit-paint-dolfinite-bedding-compound-P004_127_003_505.html

Might want to clean them out of the pint cans at that price.
    Last edited by Nicholas Carey; 07-28-2022 at 01:16 AM.

Thanks Nicholas and Nicholas. If West Marine has it, they don’t know it. We searched the shelves and (they said) the back room. I admit I forgot to try Sea-Mar. But migawd, $85/qt.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Ron, Why do you need to "bed" it?
    You will not need to rip it every 10 years again, like canvas .
    Epoxy the bugger thing on.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    Ron, Why do you need to "bed" it?
    You will not need to rip it every 10 years again, like canvas .
    Epoxy the bugger thing on.
    Good point and worth thinking about. But even though the surface is pretty permanent, the curved bullnose might need to be replaced at some point. Plus I’ve already repainted the vertical face beneath it, and I’m tired of cleaning up epoxy drips. Oh. Plus it’s epoxy phobic white oak.

I see now that West Marine has it “in stock” just not in the store. Delivery to store in 4-7 days, which is probably too late for this project, but I ordered several pints anyway. The pint cans are “clearance” priced. And resealing a larger can has never worked for me anyway. We’ll see how well this works.

I don't think I've ever made it to the bottom of a Dolfinite can before at least a quarter of it turned to rubber on me. I can usually scrape off the top and get some good stuff at the bottom, though.

So ... why is it out of stock? Just normal supply chain issues that we've been seeing everywhere else?
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Just received an email from West Marine that my order of their “clearance” pints of Dolfinite are on back order. So far, everyone I’ve checked, either in person or on line who thinks they have Dolfinite, don’t. Not a big deal, I think I’ll be happy with some goop in a tube.

I wouldn't use Henry's, you will be tracking black asphalt all over the place, and when you have another "hot" day it will be running down the cabin sides...

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    Dolfinite is still listed at both Fisheries and West Marine, but both have been out of stock for quite a while. Plus even if found, it’s over $70/qt. I wouldn’t mind considering viable options. Maybe Sika or Life.

I see Defender has Dolfinite listed in stock at $46. But then shipping.
    Interlux also has a decent bedding compound though it is a little thicker and will result in stripped screws if you are not careful. Other than that, very similar to Dolphinite

Quote Originally Posted by Boatbum View Post
    Interlux also has a decent bedding compound though it is a little thicker and will result in stripped screws if you are not careful. Other than that, very similar to Dolphinite

Not any more.

Interlux Boatyard Bedding Compound is "discontinued by manufacturer" (you won't find it, or any other bedding compound on https://Interlux.com, either).

This seems to be what 3M recommends these days for bedding marine hardware. It's a "silane modified polymer (SMP)", whatever that might be, but not polyurethane. Comes in white and black. They claim it can be removed (but I'm leery about using anything that says "adhesive" in the context of bedding).

3M 4000 UV Marine Adhesive Sealant Fast Cure

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b40066991/

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/3m-m...00uv-fast-cure

I’ve already started putting it back on using Vulkem 116. So far I like it. I experimented with Sika but it seemed a little loose and sticky. The Vulkem has a nice texture and cleans up well. Thanks for all the suggestions, these discussions help an amateur like me.

Interesting occurrence: the bullnose trim around this cabin top consists of 2”net half round steam bent white oak. It’s in three pieces; one u shape that goes around the front with two 90 degree curves at the corners, and the two slightly curved pieces down the sides. They have a few battle scars but generally are in good shape. For all I know they may have been there for 78 years. Or at least the 22 years I know of.

I took them home to my shop a couple of weeks ago to clean them up. But when I went to reinstall the front U shaped piece, I found it had closed up a couple of inches. I would have expected it to open slightly more toward its original pre bent shape. Why did it close instead?

My boat's eyebrows are all bedded in BoatLife. The mahogany color is easier to hide than the white of many compounds.

The bullnose closed up just to make your life more difficult.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Moisture/humidity change. Inside of the curve dried out/shrank away from it's protective bedding?