Thread: I couldn’t tell what it was, but I was definitely sure what it was not.

Default I couldn’t tell what it was, but I was definitely sure what it was not.

We were near Cheyenne, at 37,000’ went I first spotted it. At first I thought it was another jet, opposite direction but it wasn’t leaving a contrail and everyone else was. As we got closer it was apparent that it was nearly stationary and hourglass shaped. It seemed to be a couple of thousand feet above and darting around slightly. It was actually our jet that was making slight adjustments and with nothing around the object it made it seem like it was the one making these moves.

as we got closer, it became apparent it was some sort of balloon. I reported it to ATC as a balloon at 39,000’ abeam us. He chuckled and said try that altitude again. I then said I had no idea. He told me it was 400’ in height and at 62,000’

never ever go all UFO on the frequency, you’ll sound silly and guaranteed it won’t be a UFO because there aren’t any.

https://worldview.space/

7DDA1B1D-66E8-4AAC-AF0F-C3808197F477.jpg
    3C6F40E8-5377-40ED-85BC-46D2082E16D9.jpg
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

Default Re: I couldn’t tell what it was, but I was definitely sure what it was not.

So it’s an IFO.

Default Re: I couldn’t tell what it was, but I was definitely sure what it was not.

I’m surprised they don’t have more of those up on a regular basis. As a floating platform for as long as it lasts. Parachute the hardware down, retrieve, and repeat.

We used to make UFOs by taking a garbage bag partially filled with helium (fill them too full and they pop at altitude) and about 10' below it on a string we would have another one with just air in it. Finally, another ten feet of string and a third bag filled with air. When flying it made three vertical black dots.

Every winter for the past hundred years I've been intending to make some of those hot air balloons with a candle in them. We're two thirds of the way through winter here and I still haven't gotten around to it. JayInOz

Portable incendiary device.

Flat earthers claim that as space doesn't exist, satellites are supported by balloons. They call them sateloons.
    I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned

I wonder if one can see crop circles from that high up?

Drano and aluminum foil will make the hydrogen for a small scale version of the Hindenberg. We used to set our balloons aloft with a cigarette fuse . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    Drano and aluminum foil will make the hydrogen for a small scale version of the Hindenberg. We used to set our balloons aloft with a cigarette fuse . . .
    Caustic soda and aluminium was my method.
    I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned

We fly weather balloons to 100k feet and build the payloads to be bright orange in an effort to make them identifiable. It also makes it easy to find them in the woods...
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Caustic soda is lye is sodium hydroxide is the main ingredient in old time Drano. Fun old time tip: We used to clean pots out camping by heating water in the pot and adding fire ashes - grease plus potassium hydroxide is soap . . .

My grandma showed me how to make soap, beef fat rendered down and ashes, and something else…..lye?

Some home soap makers us lye (sodium or potassium hydroxide) directly while 'melt and pour' already has lye in safe dilution. Modern homemade soaps are a long step from the horrors of nineteenth century laundry works but you still want to take it safely with good ventilation. Like outdoors. With some breeze. You'll gain appreciation for Dr Bronner's.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    My grandma showed me how to make soap, beef fat rendered down and ashes, and something else…..lye?
    Ashes are already caustic, it might have been common table salt - helps with making the basic mushy diy soap into a hard soap bar. You could mix ashes and lye of course, but they both serve same purpose so my first guess would be table salt - unless your grandma's idea was to use ashes only to save on lye that she had to buy.

Disclaimer: I've never made soap myself, that's just my degree in chemistry trying to guess what happened
    WszystekPoTrochu's signature available only for premium forum users.

From UFO's to soap-making in one thread. Gotta love the Bilge!

Fred Drift rules OK!

Those youfo's are slippery customers.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Bradshaw View Post
    We used to make UFOs by taking a garbage bag partially filled with helium (fill them too full and they pop at altitude) and about 10' below it on a string we would have another one with just air in it. Finally, another ten feet of string and a third bag filled with air. When flying it made three vertical black dots.
    My brother’s science project in 8th grade was dry cleaner bags filled with stove gas for balloons and a small sealed bag with request for information on time and location where found. Then we started adding fuzes for nightime excitement. Methane gives a very slow lift.